Max Payne 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
custom1237811317319mp3p.jpg

YES!!!!​

Since leaving the NYPD and New York itself behind, Max has drifted from bad to worse. Double-crossed and a long way from home, Max is now trapped in a city full of violence and bloodshed, using his weapons and instincts in a desperate search for the truth and a way out.
bannervn.jpg

Max Payne 3 (T.B.A.) - Rockstar Vancouver (Rockstar Games)
Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, P.C.​

BULLETPOINTS

1. 'Bullet-time' (slo-mo) - recharge by killing enemies - and 'shoot-dodge' - sliding/diving over objects while still aiming.
2. Carry up to 3 weapons, 2 of which can be dual-wielded (any "small" firearms combo of your choosing). Wheel weapon selection (like Red Dead Redemption).
bulletpoint0001.jpg

3. Starts 8 years after M.P.2. with "regular" Max, then later takes place in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
bulletpoint0004.jpg
bulletpoint0003.jpg

4. There's a cover system with optional blindfire.
bulletpoint0002.jpg

5. Motion capture to be acted and captured at the same time. Voice of Max returns. Other M.P. characters return too.
6. Linear game and more or less ditching the comic-style cutscenes (was due to budget in previous entries).
7. No regenerating health, still taking pills for health.
8. "Multiplayer's a huge part of Max Payne 3, and we’ll be going into more detail on it soon,"

NEWS

Apr. 3 2011
- EDGE Magazine Scans
Page 1 [hiddenlist]
pic0001s.jpg
[/hiddenlist]
Page 2 [hiddenlist]
pic0002.jpg
[/hiddenlist]
Page 3 [hiddenlist]
pic0007kb.jpg
[/hiddenlist]
Page 4 [hiddenlist]
pic0008q.jpg
[/hiddenlist]
Page 5 [hiddenlist]
pic0005g.jpg
[/hiddenlist]
Page 6 [hiddenlist]
pic0006g.jpg
[/hiddenlist]
Page 7 [hiddenlist]
pic0003s.jpg
[/hiddenlist]
Page 8 [hiddenlist]
pic0004dp.jpg
[/hiddenlist]

Mar. 30 2011 - 'RockstarGames' Tweets "He's coming." with 2 New Screens [source]
Screenshot 1 [hiddenlist]
pic0009jc.jpg
[/hiddenlist]
Screenshot 2 [hiddenlist]
pic00010.jpg
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on the fence about this...

While the first two games were really good, I just don't know if this one will have the same great feel to it. I guess I will have to wait for more trailers and info about the story.

I really hope Rockstar can pull this one off.

OMG!!!! I can't wait for this! What was it like 5 years since the 2nd one? Doesn't look like him. Did he get stuck on an island like castaway?

[quote name='Sparta Omni']I really hope remedy does it. I also really want alan wake. :/[/QUOTE]

Remedy has a full plate as it is. They are a relatively small studio. Rockstar Vancouver will be developing it.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yes!!!![/quote]
[quote name='whoknows']Day 1.[/quote]

yeah that about sums it up, been waiting for this for a while now. good to see it coming this year (crosses fingers)

My all-time favorite game is Max Payne 2. I played it on the PC for that pinpoint accuracy that you can only get with a mouse. But now I've weaned myself onto consoles and I know the Max Payne console ports were inferior to the PC. I really hope that's not the case this time.

Max Payne forever!

In anticipation of Max Payne 3, I just bought a brand new copy of Max Payne on the Xbox for $14.96! I already own Max Payne 2 but I never played the first one so now is my chance. Max Payne 2 was one of my favorite games on the Xbox...

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Dear Rockstar:

Please don't fuck this game up.[/quote]

Seriously.

I loved Max Payne 1 and 2 so much. So much so, in fact, that I withstood the movie and even bought it in what I thought was a hopeless attempt at getting a sequel. I'm so happy that this game is on the way.

I loved the mods for Max Payne 2. There were so many mods, skins and levels. Matrix mods were the best. I can't wait. :bouncy:

[quote name='darthbudge']I am on the fence about this...

While the first two games were really good, I just don't know if this one will have the same great feel to it. I guess I will have to wait for more trailers and info about the story.

I really hope Rockstar can pull this one off.[/quote]

[quote name='eswat']Don't know if want...[/quote]
Not attacking you both at all, just curious what and the hell makes you say HMM DONT know if WANT???? All you have is a F'ing picture... Just confused as to what would make you doubt that this game would be anything but great?

[quote name='Maynard']Not attacking you both at all, just curious what and the hell makes you say HMM DONT know if WANT???? All you have is a F'ing picture... Just confused as to what would make you doubt that this game would be anything but great?[/QUOTE]

A new developer is a major cause for concern. I am really hoping this will be good, but I still have my doubts that this will be as good as the previous two.

The pills would ease the pain.

Max looks completely different and if it really is a different developer, they better bring their A game.
Also this better come out on the PC - I don't see any PC type logo at the webpage. Max Payne is a PC game.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']A new developer is a major cause for concern. I am really hoping this will be good, but I still have my doubts that this will be as good as the previous two.[/QUOTE]

QFT!

I loved Max Payne 1 and 2, but with Remedy busy on Alan Wake I'm not so sure if MP3 will be as good. Call me cautiously optimistic.

Pre-Ordering this shit as soon as it goes up on Amazon. I bought the first two on release day.
Best news of the year so far.

[quote name='JolietJake']So this time around Max is a hobo?[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. Kind of reminds me of Sam Fisher from the Splinter Cell where he goes to prison or whatever. Yea, the big concern for me is the new developer, hopefully they can pull it off since I would love to pick this up on release day, but I'm not a big fan of Rockstar's games except the Max Payne games.

[quote name='Thongsy']That's what I was thinking. Kind of reminds me of Sam Fisher from the Splinter Cell where he goes to prison or whatever. Yea, the big concern for me is the new developer, hopefully they can pull it off since I would love to pick this up on release day, but I'm not a big fan of Rockstar's games except the Max Payne games.[/quote]

I was actually gonna say he kinda looks like Ethan Thomas from Condemned 2. I think we're all on the same page though. It's that drunken, grizzly, "the world has fucked me over" look. Perfect for someone who shoots first and asks questions later.

I can't wait for this game! Playing the first Max Payne on PC consumed much of my Freshman year in college. It was the cause of me strafing around corners in my dorm, and having to consciously stop myself from punching people as they stepped out of the elevator. Good times! :)

EDIT: Haha, apparently we ARE all on the same page, as many others have made the comparison between Fisher and Thomas as seen here. I guess we can throw the new Max Payne into that grouping of disheveled, disgruntled, law enforcement.

img_6764_conviction_5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n8rockerasu']I was actually gonna say he kinda looks like Ethan Thomas from Condemned 2. I think we're all on the same page though. It's that drunken, grizzly, "the world has fucked me over" look. Perfect for someone who shoots first and asks questions later.

I can't wait for this game! Playing the first Max Payne on PC consumed much of my Freshman year in college. It was the cause of me strafing around corners in my dorm, and having to consciously stop myself from punching people as they stepped out of the elevator. Good times! :)

EDIT: Haha, apparently we ARE all on the same page, as many others have made the comparison between Fisher and Thomas as seen here. I guess we can throw the new Max Payne into that grouping of disheveled, disgruntled, law enforcement.

img_6764_conviction_5.jpg
[/quote]

Nice, but don't forget about these other two similar guys... (1st one nobody cared to play, but oh well)

alone-in-the-dark.jpg
SolidSnakeinBrawl.jpg

Again, not identical, but not to far off either.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']A new developer is a major cause for concern. I am really hoping this will be good, but I still have my doubts that this will be as good as the previous two.[/QUOTE]

Rockstar is not a new developer in the Max Payne series. I literally just played Max Payne 2 last night and Rockstar's logo was on the front cover, so they have had experience with Max Payne before. So can we stop calling attention to Rockstar being the developer now? Thanks.

[quote name='Pck21']Rockstar is not a new developer in the Max Payne series. I literally just played Max Payne 2 last night and Rockstar's logo was on the front cover, so they have had experience with Max Payne before. So can we stop calling attention to Rockstar being the developer now? Thanks.[/quote]

Rockstar was the publisher of Max Payne 1 and 2. Max Payne 1 and 2 were developed by Remedy/3D Realms. So Rockstar is new to developing Max Payne.

[quote name='Maynard']Not attacking you both at all, just curious what and the hell makes you say HMM DONT know if WANT???? All you have is a F'ing picture... Just confused as to what would make you doubt that this game would be anything but great?[/quote]

[quote name='CaseyRyback']A new developer is a major cause for concern. I am really hoping this will be good, but I still have my doubts that this will be as good as the previous two.[/quote]

Yep, what Casey said pretty much sums up my feelings.

[quote name='Scorch']Rockstar was the publisher of Max Payne 1 and 2. Max Payne 1 and 2 were developed by Remedy/3D Realms. So Rockstar is new to developing Max Payne.[/QUOTE]

Ok, but that doesn't mean that the Max Payne franchise is completely foreign territory to Rockstar either, like most people seem to think. It's not like EA or Ubisoft is developing the game, it's a company who's at least worked on it before. Hence my argument that Rockstar developing it is not that big of a deal.

[quote name='Pck21']Ok, but that doesn't mean that the Max Payne franchise is completely foreign territory to Rockstar either, like most people seem to think. It's not like EA or Ubisoft is developing the game, it's a company who's at least worked on it before. Hence my argument that Rockstar developing it is not that big of a deal.[/quote]

Well, not exactly. All publishing a game really is is putting up the money for the game to be released (it's like the difference between producing and directing). I'm sure Rockstar is familiar with the game in terms of knowing what it's about, but actually crafting story and gameplay components is a different animal.

I mean, it's like that with anything. Televison series hire different writers for seasons (Heroes is a good example), and that causes the show to take on an entirely different feel. We can all honestly HOPE that Rockstar puts the right people in charge of this one: somebody who gets the Max Payne archetype and doesn't just use the movie as a model for this game.

I have faith in Rockstar because they're one of the better developers out there, but considering what we've seen when other game series switch developers, it's understandable that people are apprehensive.

bread's done
Back