CAGcast #155: P(oops)!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]Cheapy and Wombat talk OnLive, poop collection, giant shellfish, the latest shopping and industry news, new releases, your CAGbag questions and so much more!

Get a free trial of Netflix and support the CAGcast:
www.netflix.com/cagcast

[podcast]59[/podcast]
Download - 105 minutes, 42MB
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photos:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay! Another CAGCast, damn you cheapy you've got me hooked on Howard Stern and I'm still listening to it. :applause:

Afterward I'll give the CAGCast a listen.

keep up the great work.

I remember this one time I went to a Mongolian BBQ (which is fucking awesome eats btw) place and on my second bowl about half way through I had to get it to go. But I didn't know that wasn't okay to ask, and the Asian guy at the counter was giving me the stink-eye the whole time he was packing that up. I felt kind of bad but then I got home and ate that shit right up and all was good. Point is Cheapy, you could totally get away with getting a couple slices to go. I'm sure the obligated to be polite Japanese restauranters would be steaming on the inside but as long as you get yours...

A BMI of 25 is overweight. Well just barely, a 24.9 is normal weight.

Still listening to the rest. Shaping to be a good show so far.

EDIT: I really disagree with the so-called 5 reasons why RE5 isn't very good. Sure it might not be scary, but the co-op system works well (aside from the not being able to give your partner a gun). And whoever wrote that article must be slow in the head, because theres shortcut buttons. You assign items to the d-pad and the right shoulder button accesses the weapon upgrade menu. A lot of other things they mentioned are explained once you complete the game and read the files (mainly the racial stuff). Whoever wrote that article really hasn't spent time playing games.

Cool. Earlier in the week or later, I'll take it!

Edit: oh waitaminute, you weren't kidding about the show title. I think this is one of, if not the most disgusting show openings I've heard yet. :puke:

Edit2: wow, incredible story about your robocop present!

My Wii fried itself after 2 months (hence the CAG username), and the replacement was defective and replaced after 2 days. My 360 crapped out after a year (now 6 months into a new one) and I have a pile of recent Sony stuff (not PS3 however, subs and TVs mostly) that died after a year or less. I'm finding consumer electronics less reliable overall. Maybe they are just trying to get everyone to buy those extended warranties.

First off, i do agree with you Wombat, i mostly do prefer a linear game, if done well, with a great narrative story that you can follow and you know that you're always progressing through the game and not just running in circles, though some games do work better with a sandbox-type experience.

About the E74 i actually got this recently, it was on my once red-ringed 2006 repaired console. I wound up picking up a Arcade with 2 Wireless controllers and Arcade compilation disc and sega superstar tennis, "yey", for $190 and it's cooler, more silent and just fantastic! lets see how long its lasts manufacturing date 08-12

Great show guys

Cheers
Swoxx

Other suggestions for the Twittered segment:
Twick or Tweet.
How Tweet it is.
Tweet smell of success.
Word on the Tweet.
You are now about to witness the strength of Tweet Knowledge.

For 17g I better get a motherfockin car with that flight. Good show cheap asses. Yo Cheapy netflix instant q AMERICAN PIMP. You will thank me later.

The main reason airline fares are so high is because of taxes--over 90% of air fees is taxes
any way great show and oh yes, resident evil 5 is not racist: obviously if you make a game in Africa you are obviously gonna find black infected guys and then again if we don't put in black guy's in some game or another isn't that to discrimination. Also the black guy in gears of war who has a stupid kind of personality looks as if he is being made fun of.
.........>>

I nearly pissed myself when Cheapy mentioned his "accident.'

Funny start to the show. Disgusting, but funny as hell.

Holy shit I was watching tv with my family when that plane crash started hitting the news. It was crazy looking, maybe they can make it Roboplane.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, great show as usual! Not much room for controversy today huh ?

Anyway, I'm with Cheapy, I'd very much like to one day be able to afford having a really nice trip in an airplane, but the price is just crazy.

One more thing about Tuna Pizza: it's actually quite popular here in São Paulo where I live, even though I don't like it myself. Maybe it's because we have a lot of japanese people here, that would explain it.

About E74 problems... I don't know, but lately I've had my Xbox freeze a couple of times this week, and it seems to be happening every few weeks. I've read the joystiq article, and from what they say it doesn't seem to be the same problem. I do worry about it because: A- it's a brand new Jasper chip, it shouldn't have any problems on it and B- since I've imported it, I don't think I'll be able to fix it with Microsoft, not for cheap anyway.

Keep up the good work guys, I hope Wombat have a nice trip.

you should of put in your son poo then when they check it they'll be like "your poo is as healthy as a 2 year old child!"

Somebody likes mixing Jay-Z! I really like the opening songs from the past few weeks. Is there a place we can get them?
EDIT: I should check the show notes before I post, huh? D'OH! Um...Great show!

I am so impressed with your ability to stay calm in the face of comments on show notes. I would have flipped a sh*t at jkanownik and his response to you calling out RE5 and how its deconstructive. His comments made me want to hit someone.

My room mate beat that game in two sittings. Does that really justify 60$? JKANOWNIK must be half retarted if it took him 15-30 hours to beat the game. And playing the single player over and over again doesn't f'ing count. The same thing happens every damn time. It's not real compelling stuff.

jkanownik "I PM'd you the company I work for and named the names of the games. Given that my username is actually my real name I'd rather not mention it publicly. The bottom line is that you've lost a voice within the industry because of the negative tone lately. In the past if you had a gripe about something my company (or all game companies) did I would look further into the details of it and if there was something I could do about it I would. I'm not saying I could change anything or that I'm anyone special, but you should realize that people do listen to what you have to say and take that seriously if you want your voice heard (or not, it's your choice)."

I think he is pretty much saying if I don't like what you have to say about my company true or not, we are going to ignore you. You "lost your voice" for telling the truth and expressing your opinion. Kinda like Kane and Lynch all over again. This guys whole arguement and explanation sounds sketchy as well.

I admit it... Poop stories and fart jokes are what really have me coming back to the GAGcast.

This week's show made me have flashbacks to my own poop collection experience. ..

My soon to be wife came back early from a trip to Africa because she had become extremely ill. (By the way, there is nothing like an unidentified African disease for weight loss. She looked smoking hot when she got off the plane.) Well, since she was away for a whole month (and was looking mighty fine), we rather quickly went home and got busy with the sweet love making.

At this time, let me point out that I am a dumbass. It never occurred me that my fiancé might be still be carrying some fine African flora.

The next week after having my twelfth dump of the morning; I decided that perhaps it was a good time to go to the doctor. They gave me two vials with a cute miniature spork attached to the inside of cap. I was to go home and poop into a plastic sombrero and fill the poop collection jars up to the red line on the side. I was to do this two times.

Running home from the doctor’s office with cheeks tightly clenched to prevent soiling myself, I put the sombrero into the toilet as was instructed and took my first dumb 3.2 seconds after running into the house. The pressure having built up on the way from the doctor’s caused the load to bounce off the bottom of the sombrero and back onto my ass. Great! Reflexively, I also let out a nice stream of urine which was blocked by the sombrero, spilled out of the toilet, and promptly soaked my jeans, socks, and shoes. So now I’m laughing because I understand the inherent humor in this incident and am trying to think of a way to clean myself off.

So I get up with my pants around my ankles and turn around to face the toilet. I decided I should collect the first sample and then deal with the cleaning. Well, you see, the floor was slippery with urine and I was wearing old sneakers. I slip, my knees bang on the side of the toilet, my hand goes into the sombrero and I punch a hole in it, the first jar also falls to the ground and shatters.

Queue the Benny hill music…

I hop in the shower and gently rock back forth in the warm water trying to forget the whole experience. I go back and get a new jar and sombrero, Collect the needed samples and learn that my better half has given me Giardia. Thanks for Gift honey!

And thank you Cheapy for bringing back the memories…

Cheapy, the Yen price against the Euro/Pound is hurting Sony's profits, especially on the price of the PS3 more than the dollar. That's why you saw Nintendo raise the price of the Wii to retailers in Europe recently.

Oh, and look at that: The Wii now supports SD cards up to 32gb (It used to support 2gb cards). And you can play VC/WW games from them.

It's usually funny to hear Cheapy's fecal related stories but when he mentioned "like a beached whale", it gave me a horrid image in my head.... first CAGcast to have made me a little bit queezy :rofl:

[quote name='Imallvol7']I am so impressed with your ability to stay calm in the face of comments on show notes. I would have flipped a sh*t at jkanownik and his response to you calling out RE5 and how its deconstructive. His comments made me want to hit someone.

My room mate beat that game in two sittings. Does that really justify 60$? JKANOWNIK must be half retarted if it took him 15-30 hours to beat the game. And playing the single player over and over again doesn't f'ing count. The same thing happens every damn time. It's not real compelling stuff.

I think he is pretty much saying if I don't like what you have to say about my company true or not, we are going to ignore you. You "lost your voice" for telling the truth and expressing your opinion. Kinda like Kane and Lynch all over again. This guys whole arguement and explanation sounds sketchy as well.[/quote]

It took my 8.5 hours to beat the game on normal with a partner. I was in the middle on my third playthrough when my disk drive failed. I will end up playing through the entire game four times. If you're only going to play through a game once I would highly recommend you rent them. I personally have a Gamefly membership. I don't see why you would pay $60 to play 8 hours of a game.

My issue was not with complaining about the RE5 content, it was the tone/emotion involved and the rationale for it. There's no doubt Capcom handled it in a really crappy way or that a lot of people won't buy the DLC. Listen to the 3/13 Joystiq podcast. They handled it perfectly. They didn't like the content but they didn't get angry about it.

And the company I work for came out in the last thread. It's not like its a secret. I'm not an evil person. I've posted quite a few deals on CAG, I've gone to CAG meetups and even hosted an event where I invited CAGs into my home.

Great show.

I was an earlier victim of the E-74 errors back in August '08, before the NXE came out. This was a rare occasion at the time, with Microsoft requesting $100 for the repair. After a few hours of screaming at them on the phone, I was able to get my point across, which was similar to what Cheapy said in which the Xbox 360 is a terrible piece of hardware and pretty much all system failures should be covered for it. I got away with a free repair at the time but be warned, I can definitely see this being the next giant mess which is the Xbox 360's hardware issues.

Do you think that maybe, the NXE was used to disguise the Red Ring issue with the E-74 error, making Microsoft get some money back being that it's not covered in the warranty? Sounds like a sinister Microsoft plan to me...

Yakuza 3 sounds like a fun game I want it!
Maybe you send me an english copy?
Or atleast have some giveaways with that as a prize!

Yeah the poop thing was like disgusting didn't really need it.
I can play japanesse region games

I have to say that I am really glad to hear Wombat mention why he likes RE5. Maybe it's just that I am getting old but I find it really hard to get into some of these massive open world games that these young whippersnappers are into these days, but I also get more satisfaction over something linear.

With linear gameplay it keeps me on track and progressing towards a goal, so when I reach the end of a level/a save point/a boss battle/etc I get the sensation like I am actually accomplishing something than if I am playing a game like GTA. In GTA I constantly get myself distracted by killing hookers and running over pedestrians, and then I have to run from cops and hide, and THEN find my next mission to try to complete while I stay at the in game map the entire time. I never feel like I am progressing well at all.

Of course it is a matter of preference, but I really dig a game that I can just play at a regular pace, by myself, and not have to worry about skipping over something or searching for what to do next.

Cheapy, Wombat - you guys were the first Podcast that I ever listened to and recently I've listened to the some others, and I have to admit that you guys are the Best there ever was, the best there ever is and the best there ever will be.

Wombat... I can't believe you didn't take a picture of the 9 pound lobster.... You should go back there and get a bigger Lobster and take pics, and give more details... did you put butter on it, did you put lemon juice on it... dammit man I need details and pics.

The 50 million Microsoft paid for GTA 4 DLC.

I don't know how many people this would apply to, but there are people out there like me who have a PS3 and a XBOX 360. Like many people I picked up GTA 4 the first night at midnight when it came out. Now what system do I buy it for? XBOX 360 will have DLC so I buy it for that one.

I do not know how many more copies of GTA 4 were sold for 360 than PS3. If it is 2 :1 or more I would think at 50-60 a game they have well made there investment back and are getting a bonus on top of it with the DLC sales. I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to pay just wo sway people from buying a game for the PS3.

BTW I don't remember if it was this episode or last ( i listened to 2 in a row) but Wombat said there was only one person in like Mid Missouri or something. (I get the sarcasm lol) but seriously I live in Missouri and like no offense to you Jewish guys, but we are pretty damn frugal here ourselves. Actually we are down right cheap.

Kez

[quote name='XTommyDonX']Great show.

I was an earlier victim of the E-74 errors back in August '08, before the NXE came out. This was a rare occasion at the time, with Microsoft requesting $100 for the repair. After a few hours of screaming at them on the phone, I was able to get my point across, which was similar to what Cheapy said in which the Xbox 360 is a terrible piece of hardware and pretty much all system failures should be covered for it. I got away with a free repair at the time but be warned, I can definitely see this being the next giant mess which is the Xbox 360's hardware issues.

Do you think that maybe, the NXE was used to disguise the Red Ring issue with the E-74 error, making Microsoft get some money back being that it's not covered in the warranty? Sounds like a sinister Microsoft plan to me...[/QUOTE]

I just got the E-74 error as well. I had the Best Buy warranty and returned it no problem but I still decided to call and complain to Microsoft.

This is my 10th Xbox since launch.....counting 3 refurbs that they sent that were broke out of box, and while I love the system, this is the fuckING BIGGEST TURD OF A SYSTEM EVER MADE.

How the hell can you so poorly design hardware that it fails all the dam time. I would have a PS3 if they actually had a dam plan for it to be a GAMING system, but its library is too limited for me and I will stick with my ticking time bomb.

Is the E-74 error actually the RROD in disguise? I think that question needs to seriously be looked into given how Microsoft is handling repairs of the console. I hope I am wrong but seems fishy to me.

poop stories are always great!
good show guys. i can't believe that wombat didn't take a picture of that freaking 9 pound lobster. boo!

What's up with all the hate on Heroes latley Cheapy? Trying to compare a show like Madmen to Heroes is ridiculous, It's a show about super heroes! When you go see a super hero movie like Spiderman or Superman what are you excpecting? Grade A drama?

[quote name='wiiheat']Other suggestions for the Twittered segment:
Word on the Tweet.
[/quote]

I like this one

I really appreciate how your podcast is quite "meaty" in that you don't skimp out with a wimpy 30 minute show but this one was much longer than an hour. I had to travel home on Wednesday for a family emergency that I didn't want to dwell on so it was nice to listen to both of your viewpoints on the gaming industry/culture as a bit of escapism during the commute.

This is only my third show to listen to but one of my minor "nitpicks" as Wombat would say:
-- The show seems to always begin with what has happened recently in both of your lives...I do find myself laughing at all of this and enjoying CheapyD's insight into the oddities of Japan and Wombat's diet but it always is a slow start to the show...new listeners might be turned off by the seemingly irrelevance of a nine pound lobster to the gaming realm and turn off the cast after 5 minutes. I haven't listened to all 155 casts so I'm not going to say you haven't experimented and tinkered with the show's format. These are the impressions of a new listener.

I've never bought an Xbox. I respect Xbox live (after recently trying to do online PS3 gaming). But I'm glad you guys said it. The Xbox is a flaming electrical turd.

It's an interesting time in gaming:
a) Casual gaming is reigning supreme in monthly sales for the Wii
b) Microsoft has stopped the indominable Playstation franchise from remaining king
c) Sony is well...well...what the hell ARE they going to do?
d) PC gaming is still bitchin.

Edit: Added 20 minutes later.

CheapyD - I thought you defended your position well on the treatment of DLC as of late. I've recently tried to appreciate fighting games more by playing Tekken 5 and others...while I have a PS3 I will probably avoid getting SF4 new because of the poor treatment of multiplayer and the DLC issue. When I booted up Dead Space I was excited about the extra suit content, thinking that it was like the old Soul Calibers in that the PS2 had Heihachi, GC Link, etc...but then I found out I had to buy those suits? No way. No no way.

I had an upper and lower GI when I was in the hospital last year.

It was horrible. The contrast was disgusting. I was lucky when I got to take it through a nasal tube. It was cool to see my guts though.

I had to drink the barium shake back a few years ago and my poop came out white!!!
Have your camera ready Cheapy.

btw you guys have to set up an E3 CAG meetup

bread's done
Back