The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

KingCrow02

CAGiversary!
Just announced at GDC 09: Iwata Keynote a new Wind Waker style Zelda coming out for the DS this year called The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. More details to come.

Screenshot
Full Video & Gallery of screenshots of the footage (Joystiq)
Click Here to try GameFly for FREE or start for only $8.95!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wake I loved Phantom Hourglass (except for the main dungeon you had to keep on going through) and I can't wait to play a new game in that style.

I'm torn on this. I liked PH initially but I got bored when I died because of my suckiness with the ds controls. I've had a DS since launch and hadn't really had any problems till PH. Also I really want a full blown Wii Zelda more.

Maybe I just need to play PH some more and maybe I'll be more pumped.

They said before that both teams were hard at work- if they are ready to announce a DS game, it makes me wonder how far off a Wii title could be. Nintendo has been odd about announcing releases lately. They seem to be keeping most of their titles underwraps until a few months before release (PunchOut comes to mind)- but then again, WiiSports Resort has been mysteriously absent from the release lists.

zelda8.jpg

MTV has first sets of photos up.

Someone breaking their NDA?

Looks like Phantom Hourglass. Provided they ditch the revisiting of a single dungeon, and have an expanded world map to explore, I think this could be a solid title. Phantom Hourglass brought a well needed breath of fresh air on the series, as well as offering a new perspective on the series. I'm actually looking forward to seeing this sometime this year.

Yeah I just saw some screenshots and I'm definitely more excited. I don't think they are breaking any NDA because Joystiq just posted 8 pictures too.

awesome. PH was one of my favorite Zelda games and it's nice to see some new concepts. i agree that revisiting that dungeon over and over was pretty terrible, though. at least the design was done in a way to get you through it much faster the later you are in the game.

I know I'll never see it, but I'd like to see another Zelda like "Link's Awakening" or "Link to the Past". I'd rather have another Wii Zelda as well. But...

I'm still excited about another Zelda despite my longing for those above.

Wind Waker was one of my favorite games ever, phantom hourglass sucked...way too easy and repetitive, which some may say is similar for wind waker, but the small screen just killed it. And also, the graphics didn't even look like Wind Waker...the jagged look of the character models threw everything off. I can't find any enjoyment on my DS aside from SRPGS, so I won't be buying this...
Anyway when I went to IGN and saw "New Zelda" on their front page, with graphics that looked like something similar to an updated OOT, I thought it'd be for the Wii or something. What a letdown when I clicked the link and find a Link that is similar to the Link from PH =/

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Looks like Phantom Hourglass. Provided they ditch the revisiting of a single dungeon, and have an expanded world map to explore, I think this could be a solid title. Phantom Hourglass brought a well needed breath of fresh air on the series, as well as offering a new perspective on the series. I'm actually looking forward to seeing this sometime this year.[/quote]

Agreed.

I'm going to call it now- "Random part collection" will become "random train car collection".

you will have different cars with different abilities to help you reach your goal.

I hear that train a-comin', it's rollin' around the bend
And I ain't seen the triforce since I don't know when
I'm stuck in that same dungeon and time keeps draggin' on
But that train keeps a-rollin' on down to Koholint
When I was just a baby, my mama told me, ward
Always be a good boy, don't swing a Master Sword
But I stabbed a pol in Hyrule, just to watch him die
When I hear that ocarina blowin', I hang my head and cry

OR

Oooo, Ganon proved too much for the man,
So he's leavin' the life he's come to know,
He said he's goin' back to find
Ooh, what's left of his world,
The world he left behind
Not so long ago.
He's leaving,
On that Midna train to Hyrule,
And he's goin' back
To a simpler place and time.
And I'll be with him
On that Midna train to Hyrule,
I'd rather live in his world
Than live without him in mine.

[quote name='Treythalomew']I'm torn on this. I liked PH initially but I got bored when I died because of my suckiness with the ds controls. I've had a DS since launch and hadn't really had any problems till PH. Also I really want a full blown Wii Zelda more.

Maybe I just need to play PH some more and maybe I'll be more pumped.[/quote]

Exactly. No more touch controls to move/fight and I'm sold. That probably ain't gonna happen though.

[quote name='will52']Exactly. No more touch controls to move/fight and I'm sold. That probably ain't gonna happen though.[/quote]

Wait, the touch controls on the DS worked really well in my opinion.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Another Zelda DS is great but where's Smash Brothers DS already?!?!?[/quote]
Sakurai set up a new studio with Nintendo and they made it pretty clear their first game wouldn't be a Smash game. :cry:

Love Zelda series, but Phantom Hourglass was one of my least favorites. Didn't like the touch controls, the shortage of dungeons or going through the OK temple over and over.

So this may be the first Zelda game I've passed on in a long time.

[quote name='javeryh']I can't believe I'm not excited for a new Zelda.[/QUOTE]
This.

Both Phantom Hourglass and Wind Waker were the most boring and ultimately disappointing Zelda games for me. Since it looks similar and is on the DS I don't have high hopes for this.

ugh, I know I'll still get it, but I'd love it if they got rid of the damned touch controlls. The Oracle series on GBC and Minish Cap on GBA were fantastic Zelda games. I still haven't finished PH. I get bored of it too quickly for some reason.

ROFL. Why must there always be some sort of vehicle in the latest zelda games? Boat...Train.....i call plane next.

Minish Cap was awesome!

I'll probably still buy this though.

BTW, Minish Cap was awesome!

Well, I really liked Phantom Hourglass, so obviously I'm excited about this new one. I also enjoyed Minish Cap, but, and I'm sure I'll take a beating for it, Phantom Hourglass was more fun. I also really liked the touch controls and would be sad if they took that away. Fortunately I doubt that they will. Hopefully they'll build upon and improve them.

[quote name='crunchewy']Well, I really liked Phantom Hourglass, so obviously I'm excited about this new one. I also enjoyed Minish Cap, but, and I'm sure I'll take a beating for it, Phantom Hourglass was more fun. I also really liked the touch controls and would be sad if they took that away. Fortunately I doubt that they will. Hopefully they'll build upon and improve them.[/quote]

You're not alone there. I liked both, but preferred PH to Minish Cap. The touch controls do not bother me at all. The only thing I didn't like about PH was returning to the same dungeon again and again and dealing with the time limit. But I loved the nautical aspect and the style of play. Minish Cap felt too short to me.

Not excited for this, couldn't stand the abundance of touch controls from phantom hourglass. I much prefer the classic style of the past portable zelda games.

I don't mind some touch controls here and there but imo they killed PH by going overboard with them. If they can tone down the touch controls then I might get this game.

Didn't anyone ever play with trains as a kid?

Thomas the tank engine meets Link? Its a shame George Carlin isnt available to be Link's conductor friend.

[quote name='foltzie']Didn't anyone ever play with trains as a kid?

Thomas the tank engine meets Link? Its a shame George Carlin isnt available to be Link's conductor friend.[/quote]

I could see that.

"What the fuck are you doing, kid? Pull your fucking head out of your ass and find the goddamn Triforce. And pass me that joint."

Hmm, I'll probably end up with it at some point, but I'm not getting too excited yet. I also liked Link to the Past style the best.

The worst parts about PH for me were:

1. Random part collection, especially when you worked your butt off to get a chest in the main dungeon and it just held some crappy ship part.

2. The time limit in the main dungeon.

I enjoyed PH and found it charming and delightful. The train concept seems weird, but i'm intrigued. A larger world is always nice. I guess they are trying to move away from the ocean concept.

Phantom Hourglass was a great game. The only issue I had with the touch controls is that my hand got in the way of seeing what was on the screen. I also rather enjoyed how they implemented the temple.

I really liked Phantom Hourglass, and am running through it a second time now, and it's still enjoyable to me. I like what I see in this trailer, except for the fact that the train has basically just replaced the boat, except it's stuck to rails. You'll probably unlock or build new rails to make travel easier, but the glaring omission of an overworld you can really explore is still there.

Link has a wind gun? Looks like the bow and arrow that just fires wind. I like it, and the controlling of a dummy character. I'd say I'd keep an eye on this one, but both that and the fact that I'll be buying this are both a given.

So let me get this straight. It's Zelda but with a whip instead of a boomerang and a train instead of a boat?

[quote name='Zing']So let me get this straight. It's Zelda but with a whip instead of a boomerang and a train instead of a boat?[/QUOTE]

He still has the boomerang, and if you're lucky he has a boat tool. We'll it would have to be more of a cargo ship, with the train and all, but same thing.

bread's done
Back