10% Off Amazon Gaming Purchases and Other Perks with ECA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
well the only good thing i saw there was teh amazon thing, but twenty a year isn't much, if they had gamefly discounts, then i would definetly get it

This is an amazing deal and I think you posted it in the right spot. I buy dozens of games from Amazon every year and this will save me a bunch of money. At $15, this is a steal.

OP, you should edit the title to show that an ECA membership gives you 10% off video games at Amazon (i.e., ECA Membership = 10% discount on games through Amazon).

I have been getting their newsletter for a while now, with the discount becoming a member is a no brainer.

Just signed up and used the code and it works as advertised.

UPDATE: It's only letting me use the code once. I'll have to dig around and find out what the deal is. Until then, you may want to wait to sign up.

Huzzah, finally something good to sign up for due to me being in college. I easily spend that much on games alone, so this shall be quite awesome.

And yeah, I'm having the same problem with the code. Perhaps it only generates one per day or something like that? THe crappy thing is, once I found this out the hard way, I cancelled my initial order so I could lump all my games together, and the code expires even if the order on which it was used was cancelled. E-mailed them to see exactly how this works, but hopefully I can take advantage of it.

On a side note, damn Amazon for not letting you input promotional codes on already-placed orders. I have 2 pre-orders for things that were Gold Box items, and I can't use the promotional code without losing my Gold Box discount. Not sure if Customer Support would adjust it.

I signed up in a heartbeat for this. They don't check to see if you're a student either so sign up for the student discount even if you aren't one.

[quote name='sliknik27']Just signed up and used the code and it works as advertised.

UPDATE: It's only letting me use the code once. I'll have to dig around and find out what the deal is. Until then, you may want to wait to sign up.[/QUOTE]

I ran into the same thing. Coupon could only be used once. I sent them the below email, and will report back here when I get a response.

The Amazon Membership Benefit states that the 10% discount applies to ALL games-related purchases (hardware excluded). Here is the specific wording in the members area:

Offer: ECA members enjoy 10% off all games-related purchases at Amazon.com (hardware excluded). If you buy 3+ games per year, this benefit alone rationalizes your membership dues.

However, this coupon can apparently be used only once at Amazon. I used it on my first order successfully, but on a second order, the coupon could not be used. The following message was given:

This offer has already been redeemed. Please enter another claim code or leave this field blank.

This benefit was the primary reason I became a member, so it's important to me for this issue to be resolved. What can I expect here?

I'm going to send them an email too, telling them to fix this or to cancel my membership otherwise.

I jumped on this also and like others, was surprised that it is a one time use coupon.

The languages they have certainly indicate that you can make multiple purchases throughout the year and still enjoy this discount.

[quote name='Wario64']it says "download a code" for amazon. sounds like a 1 use code.[/quote]

It also says "towards 10% off your games purchases." An "s" on the end of a word usually signifies plurality. It was presented to the public as a permanent code (singular) that allows for numerous purchases (plural).

I also sent them an email to hammer home the point:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I recently signed up for the ECA (Member ID: nlangan), spurred by an offer for 10% off video game-related items from Amazon.com. Unfortunately, it has become apparent that the discount provided by the ECA is good for one purchase only. This is in direct contradiction to the wording on the official ECA website. The following is taken directly from http://www.theeca.com/membership_benefits.

Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.”

This set of statements implies that one can use the code for multiple “games purchases.” Furthermore, the membership benefits page (http://www.theeca.com/member_home) states:

[FONT=&quot]Offer[/FONT]: ECA members enjoy 10% off all games-related purchases at Amazon.com (hardware excluded). If you buy 3+ games per year, this benefit alone rationalizes your membership dues.”

Again, this implies that the benefit is good for “all games-related purchases” during my membership with the ECA. I am very disappointed with my experience so far and hope that there is something you can do to remedy this situation. Rather than ask you to end my membership, I would much prefer that you deliver on the promises you’ve made with this discount. If that cannot be accomplished, I will have to ask for a full refund.

Thank you.

[quote name='sliknik27']

OP, you should edit the title to show that an ECA membership gives you 10% off video games at Amazon (i.e., ECA Membership = 10% discount on games through Amazon).[/quote]

Done,

Edited the post to resemble the possible only one use code. Hope that it's not as that would ruin the deal.

The Amazon deal would be great if it was for the entire year. Feel bad for that jumped the gun, but now I will just sit back and see what develops.

The code's probably supposed to be one time use only. Not sure how they would pull off a multiple use coupon and expect it to only be used by ECA members.

Interested too.

Would have been a guaranteed purchase due to the 5-10% off Hyatt hotel rooms, but the damn rooms are expensive. As nice as it would be to stay in a room for $100 when I'm visiting friends half way across the country, I think I'll stick with my $30.

[quote name='CheapyD']I'd be absolutely shocked if this wasn't intended to be a one-time use code.[/quote]
Knowing how Amazon promotions work, I wouldn't doubt that's what Amazon intends, but the partner they're offering it through clearly disagrees. All they'd have to do to tighten things up is tie the promo code to the Amazon account through which it's used the first time.

AMEX does an amazon discount code that you can use up to a certain amount around xmas

i think its 200 bucks that you can use the code over and over until your reach 200....

they should of made the coupon into something like that

[quote name='CheapyD']I'd be absolutely shocked if this wasn't intended to be a one-time use code.[/QUOTE]The wording absolutely leads you to believe otherwise.

The wording says if you buy 3 or more in a year, it's worth it. To me, that sounds like 1 game here, 1 game there and so on.... Not all together.

Amazon has previously offered coupon codes that alter your account. 3 years back they had a deal where the code HDDISC10 would give 10% off a purchase of 3 HD DVD/Blu-ray discs in a single order then automatically qualify you for that same 10% discount on any additional HD/BD purchases through the remainder of the year (individual or otherwise) up to $1000 in savings. They extended that for a 2nd year so that initial purchase got me 10% off all the HD movies I bought for the entire run and I got a lot.

They have been made aware of the problem and are supposedly working to fix it. From the ECA Forums, a member said the following:

[quote name='Gypsyfly PMS']ECA is still working on this issue which is actually a technical glitch due to the module we are using that only distributes one time use codes, such as for our GameFly promotion. Again, this is being resolved soon.

It was suppose to go live on Wednesday in a limited use but through some interviews Hal did mentioning it as part of our membership benefits word spread a lot faster.[/quote]

The same user also had some criticism for me due to my unhappiness with being misled, but you can read that on the forums if you choose. Hopefully they'll get this taken care of soon.

Since it's an error and being fixed definitely had to jump on this. For 14.99 to get 10% off amazon purchases all year long is amazing and will definitely be used. The GOG.com one is really good also.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I'll believe it when someone here confirms its fixed. I'm going to wait on this one.[/quote]

This would be my recommendation for those who haven't yet committed.

This will be insanely awesome if its 10% all year...

Waiting for confirmation. I will definitely sign up if isn't one time use.

Count me in the list of people waiting for confirmation on the 10% off Amazon game purchases all year or just one time. If it's all year, I'll sign up asap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back