Best SNES games never released in NA?

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
What are the best SNES games never released in NA? I'll start with one, Terranigma (spiritual succesor to Illusion of Gaia):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terranigma

256px-Terranigma_box.jpg

1502.jpg

Oh man, where to start?!

There are SO many amazing Super Famicom games that weren't released in the US. I'll list the ones I have:

1ST PARTY NINTENDO GAMES:

-Mario's Super Picross - Color sequel to the original Picross games on Gameboy!
box_msp.gif

-Mario & Wario - A puzzle game that uses the SNES mouse.
box_m&w_j.jpg

-Wrecking Crew '98 - Remake of the original (also includes the NES game)
571526_9250.jpg

-Kirby KiraKira Kids - Japan-only Kirby puzzle game! It's the same as Kirby Star Stacker on Gameboy.
569905_9227.jpg

-Sutte Hakkun - Puzzle game featuring a drinking bird.
box_sfc_sutte_hakkun.jpg

-Power Soukoban - AWESOME Zelda/Boxxle Mash-up with awesome music/graphics. HIGHLY recommended!!!
SHVC-BPSJ-JPN-BOX.jpg

-Marvelous: Another Treasure Island - Fun adventure game made by the Zelda:LTTP team!
Marvelous_box.PNG

SQUARE/ENIX:

-Nangoku Shonen Papuwa-Kun - Fun 2D Platformer based on a manga/anime series.
box_sfc_nangoku_shounen_papuwa_kun.jpg

-Star Ocean - The 2nd game in the series! Recently released in America on PSP.
Star_Ocean_SFC.jpg

-Treasure Hunter G - Squaresoft's last big RPG on Super Famicom.
TreasureHunterG_boxart.jpg

-Hamelin No Violin Hiki - Awesome 2D Platformer from ENIX based on a classic manga/anime series.
box_sfc_hamelin_no_violin_hiki.jpg

OTHER 3RD PARTY GAMES:

-Go Go Ackman 1-3 - Fun 2D Platformers with character designs by Akira Toriyama! (DBZ/Dragon Quest)
box_sfc_gogo_ackman.jpg
box_sfc_gogo_ackman_2.jpg
Go_Go_Ackman.jpg

-Super Soukouban - Boxxle for Super Famicom!
super-soukoban.0.png

-Umihara Kawase - Fun 2D Bionic-Commando-esque platformer
Umihara_Kawase_Coverart.png

-The Firemen - Awesome 2D Firemen-action game!
box_sfc_the_firemen.jpg

-R2: Rendering Ranger - AMAZING 2D Shooter/action game from Virgin. Looks like a PS1/Saturn game!
box_sfc_rendering_ranger_r2.jpg

-Super Back to The Future 2 - Ridiculous yet fun 2D platformer
563055_22002.jpg

-Flying Hero - Funtastic Vertical Shooter
images

-SD F1 Grand Prix - Mario Kart clone that's actually quite fun!
sdf1grandprixj000ma4.png

-Gon - 2D platformer based on the manga character! Some of you may know Gon from Tekken 3. ;)
sfamigonprv.gif

-Gunman's Proof - Zelda-like action-RPG set in the Wild West.
box_sfc_gunple_gunmans_proof.jpg

-Ghost Sweeper Mikami - Crazy 2D action game based on the anime.
GS%2BMikami.jpg

-Godzilla: Kaijuu Daikessen - Pretty awesome Godzilla 2D Fighter!
200px-Godzilla_1994.jpg

-Rockman & Forte - AKA: Mega Man & Bass, this was only released on GBA in the US. This was considered Mega Man 9 until the real deal came out last year. Personally my favorite Mega Man game.
randf.jpg

I have all of these games so if you have any questions let me know! :D

fuck yeah, Terranigma! Was also baffled by how Super Back to the Future II only came out in Japan.

For a couple of fighting games, Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 2 and Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Fighting are pretty damn fun, too.

[quote name='Josef']Maybe (hopefully) some of these will get a release on the Virtual Console.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hope so too!

Most of the Nintendo-published games I posted don't require much/any Japanese knowledge so they'd be quite easy to port to VC.

[quote name='J7.']Wow Gameboy415, that's impressive. So you got these as you were/are in Japan?[/QUOTE]

Yup! I randomly picked up a (second) Super Famicom (the mini "Junior" version this time) last April as a b-day present to myself and I've been collecting Super Famicom games since. I started researching games that weren't released in the US and I've been scouring game stores all over Japan. I'm still over here and I still pick up a few games every now and then.

A few of the games I've found are actually EXTREMELY rare/valuable. Namely R2: Rendering Ranger. Check out the eBay price for that one. Mine's cart-only but I got it for only 200yen (about $2!) so I'm not complaining! ;)

I can't believe I forgot to post Seiken Densetsu 3! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I've got the game in a box right between Seiken Densetsu 2 and Chrono Trigger (JP) so I must've skipped over it. D'oh!

Another really fun game I forgot to mention is:

Poko Nyan! - Really fun 2D platformer about a Tanuki who can change into other forms. Based on an old anime/manga.
box_sfc_poko_nyan.jpg

And a crappy, yet funny game I picked up is:

UFO Kamen Yakisoban - A crappy 2D beat-em-up featuring the fictional mascot of a Japanese Instant Noodle company.
UFOBox.jpg

Some games I'm still trying to track down are:

Amazing Spider-Man: Lethal Foes - JP only 2D Spidey game! Looks amazing but sells for A LOT.
250px-LFSPMN.png

I actually saw a boxed copy of this a few months back for 6000yen but I didn't have the cash at the time and when I went back it was gone. :( (But I found Umihara Kawase instead! :D )

Super PC Genjin 2 (Super Bonk 2) - JP only sequel to Super Bonk!
genjin2box.png

Sells for about $20 but I'm shopping around for a better price.

Majyuuou (King of Demons) - 2D-action game with lots of cool monsters and stuff.
577128_17695.jpg

I've only seen a cart-only copy and it was $40. :shock: I want to track down a boxed copy.

Raccoon Rascal - Cool-looking puzzle game.
box_sfc_araiguma_rascal.jpg

I've seen a boxed copy at a local shop for about $30-40 and I'm planning to pick it up once I get some extra cash.

Gameboy415, since you seems to know a lot about SFC I hope you can help me remember this title. It came out the later half of the system lifespan. The main objective is to buy and upgrade real cars and race for money. The race is pretty simple on a straight track. However there are many ways to earn money, such as a puzzle game moving cars in a garage. But the most interesting part is you are in a RPG dungeon crawler collecting items and money.

A Virtual Console release of Terranigma would justify the Wii's existence.

....and wasn't Treasure Hunter G developed by Sting (Riviera, Yggdra Union, Baroque)?

[quote name='Gameboy415']
-Star Ocean - The 2nd game in the series! Recently released in America on PSP.
Star_Ocean_SFC.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Oh man, too bad the only way to play an english version of Star Ocean is by using... questionable methods... because this is by far one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

[quote name='62t']Gameboy415, since you seems to know a lot about SFC I hope you can help me remember this title. It came out the later half of the system lifespan. The main objective is to buy and upgrade real cars and race for money. The race is pretty simple on a straight track. However there are many ways to earn money, such as a puzzle game moving cars in a garage. But the most interesting part is you are in a RPG dungeon crawler collecting items and money.[/QUOTE]

I can't say I've played it, but upon skimming through my Super Famicom guidebook (has pics/info about EVERY Super Famicom game ever released) I saw one that might be it:

Zero Yon Champ RR-Z
ME0001064637_2.jpg

Does that look familiar?? My book only has tiny pictures of the game, but it looks like it has racing, RPG, and pachinko elements. It's actually a sequel to "Zero Yon Champ RR" which was released in 1994. *shrug*

[quote name='drfg90']Oh man, too bad the only way to play an english version of Star Ocean is by using... questionable methods... because this is by far one of the best RPGs I've ever played.[/QUOTE]

It's playable on PSP in the US as Star Ocean: First Departure. But I'd rather have it on Super Nintendo/Wii! :D

Jaki Crush is pretty good. It's third in the Crush series of pinball games. I like Alien Crush and Devil's Crush better though.

[quote name='Jack']Jaki Crush is pretty good. It's third in the Crush series of pinball games. I like Alien Crush and Devil's Crush better though.[/QUOTE]

wow someone else here actually played Jaki Crush. I havent played the other crush games but I really enjoyed Jaki Crush.

[quote name='Gameboy415']I can't say I've played it, but upon skimming through my Super Famicom guidebook (has pics/info about EVERY Super Famicom game ever released) I saw one that might be it:

Zero Yon Champ RR-Z
ME0001064637_2.jpg

Does that look familiar?? My book only has tiny pictures of the game, but it looks like it has racing, RPG, and pachinko elements. It's actually a sequel to "Zero Yon Champ RR" which was released in 1994. *shrug*

[/QUOTE]

thats the game I was looking for. thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Terranigma and Seiken Densetsu 3 (sp) were both games that I really enjoyed with the english translated roms and would pay any day to play on VC.

Good thread. I'll be heading to Japan in September so this'll be a nice reference. I want to find some of the Go Go Ackman games.

You guys already posted all my recomendations. I picked up that Spidey game last time I was in Japan. IMO it's better than the other Spidey games for the SNES.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jack']Jaki Crush is pretty good. It's third in the Crush series of pinball games. I like Alien Crush and Devil's Crush better though.[/QUOTE]

D'oh! Another one I have that I forgot to post, haha.
I've got it in a box in my closet.

I also have the Cho Aniki fighting game for Super Famicom but I can't really recommend that one. :lol:

The correct answer to the question posed in the thread title is Front Mission. The shockingly non-photogenic Front Mission.

'Course, it's since been redone for the DS. So no excuses, people.

The Super Famicom had a couple really good wrestling games from the Firepro series. They've since been surpassed by their later incarnations but back in the olden days of importing through the ads in the back of magazines, they were pretty popular.

I have a Japanese Super Famicom that I bought in Okinawa but I really didn't get too many games for it. It was tough to find all the complete games I wanted. I think I have a Firepro game, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 1, and... actually, that might be all.

bread's done
Back