Who else thinks this is currently the best overall console?

Skv012a

CAGiversary!
Look at our now, good old ps2- it out lived all of its competitors and is still getting new games despite being in the next-gen age. Its also the most expensive, even when used/refurb, previous gen system.

I think so, but mostly because of the games. I have dozens and dozens of PS2 games that I'll still be playing years from now. I haven't even purchased a PS3 or 360 yet, partly because there have been barely any games released on those consoles so far that interest me. This is the generation of FPS and WRPG, which is fine for fans of those genres, but they're not my kind of thing.

Well, game library is what makes or breaks a console plus how well they fare in terms of sales. I'll disagree with your outlook on next gen though- devs have alot more power to work with now and we see the results in Skate/2, Mirror's Edge, GT5 or Grid, etc. I wish Soul Calibur 4 had some new features, but at the same time its more important that companies don't break a fighter when releasing the next installment(like SF4, a fucking disgrace IMO).

I like the 60gb PS3 the most as it can play the PS1, PS2, and PS3 libraries. No single piece of videogame hardware beats that in my eyes. I regret not purchasing another 60gb PS3 when I had the chance.

If you do not include backward compatibility, the PS2 has the strongest library ever. The SNES and PS2 are my personal favorite consoles.

Tons of stuff im still finding on ps2 makes it a great choice for me. After playing pc games for a good while rediscovering the ps2 has been great...

[quote name='punkmaggit']SNES >>>> everything.[/quote]

I agree with this but the PS2 is a close second on my list.

PS2 pwns. Seriously, where can you get a good used game for $3 for any of the currently supported systems? NONE.. aside from the PS2.

[quote name='Skv012a']Snes lacked good racing and fighting games. Old school has its limits.[/quote]
No love for F-Zero and the Street Fighter II series?

[quote name='mis0']PS2 pwns. Seriously, where can you get a good used game for $3 for any of the currently supported systems? NONE.. aside from the PS2.[/QUOTE]

However, you'll be able to say the same thing when this gen's systems are as old as the PS2.

[quote name='Skv012a']Snes lacked good racing and fighting games. Old school has its limits.[/quote]

Uh, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat 2, you've got to be kidding...

[quote name='ctrek3']currently yes

of all time see below[/quote]

I think the opposite is true. SNES was the best in its day, but the PS2 is the best of all time. It plays Atari games, SNES games, Genesis games, etc. via collections, it also has a larger library of quality titles.

[quote name='willardhaven']I think the opposite is true. SNES was the best in its day, but the PS2 is the best of all time. It plays Atari games, SNES games, Genesis games, etc. via collections, it also has a larger library of quality titles.[/quote]

i can definitely see that, especially from a numbers view. i probably have about 5 times the amount of ps2 games compared to snes. i guess cause i grew up with those systems, and some of my favorite games in there series are on that system. like link to the past is still my favorite zelda, final fantasy II(4) was until 8 and then 10 came out, f-zero on snes is still my fav version, megaman x. just alot of great games.

I'm curious about the upcoming PS2 Motorstorm game. I think that might be a PSP port too.

Oh, PS2 is also getting a port of Secret Agent Clank.

Only if you don't consider online gaming important. I am sort of sick of online gaming so the PS2 would be my choice for best library (not console since the 60gb PS3 is the best hardware ever made).

i just started playing p3 earlier this week and man did that make me miss the good old days grinding through rpgs on the ps2. i can't stop thinking about it. Best system.

During the last gen the Xbox was my main system (more power, better online gaming), but now I have to give credit to the PS2 for its huge classic library. If you're not getting a current gen system, the PS2 is probably where you should start.

Right now, I cant decide between these systems as my favorite. They all have a place in my heart:

SNES, Saturn including import games, Dreamcast including import games, and the PS2.

If we're rating it on which systems I currently play the most then I can't pick the PS2. I love my PS2 and like my SNES I'll never get rid of it. But I just don't play it that much anymore. The only time I dust it off is when a new SMT game comes out. I mainly play my 360, however I do play my PS2 more than my Wii.

[quote name='mis0']PS2 pwns. Seriously, where can you get a good used game for $3 for any of the currently supported systems? NONE.. aside from the PS2.[/QUOTE]
I beg to differ. As a matter of fact, I will do you one better. I have quite a few games that I have picked up for $3 or less, and get this, they were brand new, and furthermore they are for the latest systems. It's called clearance.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']This is the generation of FPS and WRPG, which is fine for fans of those genres, but they're not my kind of thing.[/QUOTE]

The PS2 has a ton of those...all the last gen has a ton of those. WRPG? I don't think those are being churned out left and right?

The PS2 does have tons of games, but everytime I play some of them I just imagine how much better looking they would be on another system. The PS2 has some interesting hardware like the PS3 but it can put out some ugly, jaggy graphics. There are exceptions but for the most part the Dreamcast, Gamecube and Xbox just toasted it in that sense.

You can get tons of current gen games for cheap now too, so I dunno. I love classic games but I don't think I would play a PS2 the majority of the time.

Not to get into a debate about SNES vs. PS2 (since I love both, and it seems silly to compare them anyway) but it says something that my SNES has probably never gone into a closet once in the last 15 years.

That said, I'm sure I'll be playing PS2 (or, more accurately, my BC PS3) for the next 15.

bread's done
Back