Rock Band: Unplugged - Out Now - 7/17: Thin Lizzy and Grateful Dead out this week

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
rbpsp.jpg

Rock Band: Unplugged is a return to their music gaming roots as it takes after Amplitude and Frequency.

There hasn't been much in the way of concrete information, but a new leak of the boxart shows a few screens, part of the playlist, and some features, as well.

Full Playlist
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
AFI - Miss Murder
Alice in Chains - Would
All-American Rejects - Move Along
Audioslave - Gasoline
Billy Idol - White Wedding, Part 1
Black Tide - Show Me the Way
Blink 182 - What's My Age Again?
Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer
Boston - More Than a Feeling
Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Freezepop - Less Talk More Rokk
Jackson 5 - ABC
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Kansas - Carry on Wayward
The Killers - Mr. Brightside
Lacuna Coil - Out Truth
Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
Lit - My Own Worst Enemy
Lush - De-Luxe
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Where'd You Go?
Modest Mouse - Float On
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Nine Inch Nails - The Perfect Drug
Nirvana - Drain You
The Offspring - Come Out and Play (Keep 'em Separated)
Pearl Jam - Alive
The Police - Message in a Bottle
Queens of the Stone Age - 3's and 7's
Rush - The Trees
Siouxsie & the Banshees - The Killing Jar
Smash Pumpkins - Today
Social Distortion - I Was Wrong
Soundgarden - Spoonman
System of a Down - Chop Suey
Tenacious D - Rock Your Socks
Weezer - Buddy Holly
The Who - Pinball Wizard

DLC - $1.99 each unless otherwise noted
30 Seconds to Mars - The Kill
Belly - Feed the Tree
Disturbed - Inside the Fire
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Three Steps
Muse - Hysteria
Mute Math - Typical
No Doubt - Just a Girl
Oasis - Wonderwall
Paramore - Crushcrushcrush
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge
Dream Theater - Constant Motion
Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing
Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood
Avenged Sevenfold - Afterlife
Dixie Chicks - Sin Wagon
R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
Jonathan Coulton and GLaDOS - Still Alive - Free
Pixies - Here Comes Your Man
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Pride and Joy
Killswitch Engage - My Curse
Radiohead - My Iron Lung
Grateful Dead - Casey Jones
Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town (Live)

Features
-Offers the same Band World Tour Mode that Rock Band 2 offers.
-Will be getting its own Rock Band store so you can buy more songs for your library.
-Ten songs will be available in the RB Store initially at the same price points as on the consoles.
-Quickplay mode that lets you play one song or a setlist of your choice.
-Band Warmup mode lets you play songs without worrying about switching between tracks.
-Survival mode ups the difficulty to provide the ultimate challenge for hardcore players.
-There's no multiplayer.
-The main controls are left and up on the d-pad for the two left half notes and triangle and circle buttons for the two right half notes.
-The down or X button engages Overdrive and the L and R shoulder buttons switch between tracks.
-Controls are customizable, but there's no word on if it's full customization or just a few different options.

PSP Bundle
It was revealed with the first press release that a special $199.99 PSP bundle will be released alongside the game that includes:

Piano Black PSP-3000 system
Rock Band: Unplugged
4 GB Memory Stick
PSN Voucher to download School of Rock

Back of the box (large image warning):
rbpsp2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The lack of multiplayer is a deal break for me. The PSP has ad-hoc and infrastructure, you can't tell me the PSP can't handle a simple multiplayer mode where the best score wins. 1 instrument, 2 players...something.

I'll be watching this one. Maybe not a day one purchase, but I think I'll be picking this one up. And DLC? Nice.

Set list looks nice too. 3 Doors Down and Would? Hell yes.

I loved amplitude! But I often used the top controller buttons (L1, L2, R1, R2) for playing the game. I can't really imagine using the face buttons instead, but it's probably something you get use to.

[quote name='pete5883']Did we ever figure out if Harmonix is actually working on this, or if Backbone are really the ones in charge?[/quote]
Backbone makes 50% of the games out there, so they're probably making the game while Harmonix supervises the development. The screens make it look like they're doing a good job.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Backbone makes 50% of the games out there, so they're probably making the game while Harmonix supervises the development. The screens make it look like they're doing a good job.[/QUOTE]
So like the TOSE of the west?

Game looks terrible as a frequency/amplitude game. The point of switching tracks in those games were to set up lines for maximum points, but judging by these screens, you can't see the notes on the other tracks...

And it's not developed by Harmonix, which is an even bigger "fuck you" from them to their Frequency fans.

[quote name='SynGamer']The lack of multiplayer is a deal break for me. The PSP has ad-hoc and infrastructure, you can't tell me the PSP can't handle a simple multiplayer mode where the best score wins. 1 instrument, 2 players...something.[/quote]

^ Yep. Which is why it will never top DJ Max. :cool:

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Why, when I can see all four tracks perfectly in that screenshot and none feature paths with gems?[/quote]
Because you know nothing about what's going on in those screens and thus don't know if there would or wouldn't be anything else there in the song.

True, but for Harmonix to say "it's the return of phase based gaming" and then hand it off like a redheaded step child pisses me off, and most certainly, other people who also worked on the games and left before they "sold out".

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']And it's not developed by Harmonix, which is an even bigger "fuck you" from them to their Frequency fans.[/QUOTE]I think part of it comes down to not enough people/resources in Harmonix. I remember once they said how they'd love to me an Amplitude/Frequency sequel for PSN or something (keep in mind this was before the announcement of RB PSP), but admitted they do not have the time due to being tied up with RB DLC (and oh course The Beatles RB). It's kind of like how Insomniac didn't have time to make R&C or Resistance on PSP, which is why other developers did them (and why many handheld projects are done by different devs, since the main dev already has console projects going).

I really want this game to be great, but I wait to wait and see more first (like videos).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It was because Sony has the IP and they decide whether to make a new Amplitude or not, not Harmonix.[/QUOTE]Actually, here is the article I'm talking about:

Harmonix CEO wants an Amplitude sequel for PS3

Before they were cranking out unwavering weekly DLC and allowing single-minded fathers to finally form that family band they've always dreamed of (despite having thoroughly untalented children), Harmonix produced a little-known gem titled Frequency, and shortly thereafter, a sequel named Amplitude. While attention on these titles was washed away by the rising of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band tides, we might be seeing more of them yet.

In a recent interview with Ars Technica, Harmonix CEO Alex Rigopulos declared his love for Amplitude, and mentioned his wishes to eventually revive the series. Considering that Sony owns that particular property, it would likely come in the form of a PSN download -- however, given their tireless Rock Band DLC schedule and their rapid, company-wide expansion, it might be a while before they can divert the necessary amount of focus to put Amplitude back on the multi-colored, instrument-specific tracks.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/17/harmonix-ceo-wants-an-amplitude-sequel-for-ps3/

I actually feel that since Harmonix has become more well known now, SCEA would take the chance on the game, but Alex said, they just can divert resources to it now.

[quote name='javeryh']So this isn't a stupid April Fool's joke?[/quote]

Considering it was announced a long time before AF, no.

http://kotaku.com/5203436/rock-band-unplugged-trailer-shows-how-easy-love-can-be

New trailer for the game shows off gameplay and that it's set-up just like RB2. It also definitely shows that you are notified when upcoming notes on another track so you can switch over in time.

Edit: The press release that's posted on the RB Forums puts this at a $39.99 price point and will have 9 exclusive songs that will be offered elsewhere as DLC sometime after the game comes out:

• 3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
• AFI - "Miss Murder"
• Alice in Chains - "Would?"
• Audioslave - "Gasoline"
• Black Tide - "Show Me the Way"
• Blink 182 - "What's My Age Again"
• Freezepop - "Less Talk More Rokk"
• Jackson 5 - "ABC"
• Tenacious D - "Rock Your Socks"

It also mentions a Rock Band PSP bundle to launch when the game does:

To commemorate the debut of the Rock Band franchise on the PSP system, Sony Computer Entertainment America plans to release a limited edition Rock Band branded PSP Entertainment Pack at the launch of Rock Band Unplugged. The bundle will include the game, a voucher to download Paramount Pictures’ School of Rock from PlayStation®Store, a 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo™, and a “Piano Black” PSP system. The Rock Band Entertainment Pack will be available in North America for $199.99 (MSRP).

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Game looks terrible, nothing like amp or freq,[/QUOTE]
What the hell are you smoking? Colored gems stream down the screen, therefore it looks just like GH, RB, Frequency, and Amplitude.

Really trailer-designer-guy, out of the tracks announced so far, you chose ABC as the background song? For a game titled Rock Band?

Let me guess, the folks who made this trailer also worked on those GH: On Tour commercials. *shudder*

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Re-read the post X, they are.[/quote]I know they will be coming over as DLC, I was just simply stating that it needs to happen with the utmost speed.

[quote name='pete5883']What the hell are you smoking? Colored gems stream down the screen, therefore it looks just like GH, RB, Frequency, and Amplitude.[/QUOTE]

Uh, no. The game was heralded by HMX as a spiritual succesor to Freq or Amp, but it doesnt look like either

What, do the notes have to be hexagonally shaped, and be connected by a line? I really don't see how you see a huge gameplay difference from this:
amplitude.jpg

Frequency and Amplitude are two of my favorite games ever. A PS3 sequel would make me buy the console, no lie.

But this game looks like shit, sorry.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/15/joystiq-hands-on-rock-band-unplugged/

It looks like Rock Band. It sounds like Rock Band. But, it certainly doesn't play like Rock Band. As many have theorized, Harmonix's PSP-exclusive Rock Band Unplugged really is Frequency in disguise. The genre has come a long way since Harmonix's PS2 launch game, but the formula holds up surprisingly well. While some may lament the loss of Frequency's techno vibe, the fully-featured Tour mode and excellent sound mixing make Unplugged a unique and worthwhile handheld experience.

Those who have played Harmonix's earlier efforts will be immediately familiar with Unplugged, while others will have to come to grips with the multi-track concept. The handheld Rock Band features all four instruments from the console games, but the lone player must tackle them all. Each track features its own note layout, and players will be switching from one instrument to another to get a high score.

There are no peripherals to use in this portable iteration. Instead, players will use the directional pad and face buttons to hit the colored notes that stream down. Red, Yellow, Green and Blue are represented by Left, Up, Triangle and Circle respectively. (There is no fifth button in this game.) It may not be instantly intuitive, but it only takes a song or two to get accustomed to the controls. DJ Max Fever shouldn't have much trouble here.

The PSP's audio capabilities are put to good use. The fidelity of the audio is solid, and we were impressed by the mixing of the four instruments. The instrument you're playing will be the most audible, so switching between the four tracks creates a rather surreal effect. This is definitely a game you'll want to play with your headphones.

We're a little disappointed by Unplugged's lack of a multiplayer mode, considering the Rock Band name has become synonymous with four-player fun. However, we're not sure if this kind of gameplay would translate well to a multiplayer experience -- the fun and the challenge comes from switching between the various tracks. Every other aspect of the console Rock Band experience arrives on the handheld intact: the World Tour mode, character/band creation tools, and yes, even an in-game music store.

41 songs will be included on the Unplugged UMD, of which 9 will be exclusive to PSP for a few months. The PSP Music Store will then feature 10 additional songs at launch, with new songs available every few weeks. The song list on the PSP won't ever be as comprehensive as the ones featured on the consoles, but should extend the life of Unplugged greatly. Songs will cost the usual $0.99 to $1.99 per song.

Edited Song List To What's New:

• Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son
  • The Killers - Mr. Brightside
  • Judas Priest - Painkiller
  • Nine Inch Nails - The Perfect Drug
  • Queens of the Stone Age - 3's and 7's
  • System of a Down - Chop Suey
*These songs are exclusive to the PSP for a limited time.

Rock Band Unplugged may not be what Rock Band fans expect, but it's still a fun, fully-featured addition to the franchise. PSP hasn't had many high-profile titles hit the system in recent months, but Unplugged will easily keep PSP owners occupied for quite some time. Impressive production values, a lengthy song list, and the Jackson 5 make this a title you should keep an eye on. Unplugged will be available on June 9th.
Carry on Wayward Son's not a Rock Band DLC song yet, right? Does this confirm that it'll be out soon for the console versions soon since it's not labeled as an exclusive?

CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON.
THERE'LL BE PEACE WHEN YOU AAARE DONE.
LAY YOUR WEARY HEAD TO REEEST.
DON'T YOU CRY NO MORE.

*boom boom, boom boom boom*

*guitar solo*

While the lack of multiplayer is unfortunate (seriously, even a 1 v 1 would have been nice), my only other regret is all the money i've sunken into RB DLC on the 360 and i won't get to play any of that on my PSP. And i sure as hell am not rebuying DLC.

I guess it never occurred to me that there'd be so many repeats from the original RB games, which is kind of disappointing.

i am excited about this game...think it could be really cool. i doubt i will pay launch-price for it, but will keep my eye out for it after a price drop. i also think this same game could work well on the iphone...and that i would be interested in, play few quick songs here and there...could be fun...

I hate hate hate hate how the tracks aren't muted in the background when they're not being played .That's kinda what made Freq/Amp fun, trying to make the songs sound good :/

I dont get this game on psp, Guitar Hero was the DS was cool because it had the touch screen, and the fret attachment, but this game just uses the buttons to play it?

Not nearly as fun.

[quote name='kurokubushi']I dont get this game on psp, Guitar Hero was the DS was cool because it had the touch screen, and the fret attachment, but this game just uses the buttons to play it?

Not nearly as fun.[/quote]
Don't knock it until you try it. The DJ Max series is a blast to play on the PSP.

I like using the buttons rather than an attachment. Since I am playing this on a PORTABLE rather than a console in front of my TV.

bread's done
Back