Transplanting hard drives from one PS3 to another

johnnypark

CAGiversary!
Feedback
57 (100%)
Hey everyone, I have a somewhat obscure question that I'd like some input on. I have a launch 20GB PS3 that I put a 320GB hard drive into. The PS2 compatibility that was so important to me before seems less relevant as I find myself not really playing PS2 games on it, and when I do half the time they look like ass (Ico!). That, and the power consumption of the launch models makes the environmentalist in me cringe.

I found an awesome deal on a 40GB system, which uses a lot less power. I think I'd be willing to forgo PS2 BC to have a more energy efficient system, although I'm still mulling it over. My main concern, though, is how would the 40GB unit take the 320GB hard drive?

Since the 40GB has media card readers and wireless ethernet, I'm worried that the install on my 320GB drive will have a stroke when it finds itself in a system with different specs. The only other option I'd have is backing up all my data, letting the 40GB system format the drive, and reinstall the backed-up data. I'd prefer not to do that, on account of having about 100GB of data and not having a device on hand which could be used for that much.

So, hypothetically, what do you think (or know) would happen? Would the PS3 OS freak out that some hardware is missing (PS2 stuff) and that new stuff is present (wifi, etc)? I get the feeling that all firmware updates have all the drivers, etc for all versions, so maybe it would essentially be plug and play, so to speak. I'd be quite unhappy, though, if I lost all my DLC and saved games.

Thanks!

Wait.

You're actually concerned that your PS3 draws too much power? Seriously?The 40 you want to upgrade to uses about 60 watts less at most. If it's that big of a deal, just turn off your surge protector or unplug the thing when you get done with it.

That aside, I think you should be fine when you do the swap. The new PS3 is going to require some elements that exist in the firmware updates, so I would put the latest on a USB flash drive just incase. Other than that, it will have to reinstall parts of the OS/hdd and you *should* be okay.

Thanks for the reply.

I read that the 65nm reduced power consumption from 380W to 280W, a 100W difference (source). Just a few watts shy of 1/4, which is pretty significant if you ask me, especially when it comes to watching movies. I also feel bad that we split the power bill evenly 3 ways in my house with my roommates, but do to gaming I know I use at least slightly more power than they do.

I already turn off the surge protector when I'm not using it, so there's no idle draw for most of the stuff I have hooked up (other consoles, the monitor they all use, etc).

Hmmm you have a pretty good question here. Off the top of my head, I really don't know how a new PS3 will react, but I think you should be fine. I mean, the only thing that installs to a new hard drive is the PS3 OS, which I don't believe is different from console to console. Try it out and see what it does. It shouldn't hurt anything.

I didn't really read the whole post, but if you're swapping the hdd only, then it doesn't matter... However, if you're thinking that after swapping the hdd and the game saves and contents are "transparent" to the new PS3, then you're wrong...

Speaking from experience...

When you remove a HDD from one PS3 and try and place it into ANY other PS3, the system will force you to reformat the HDD, thus removing all info on the HDD. Once a HDD has been formatted by a PS3, it "belongs" to that system. If it is relocated to a new PS3, the formatting must take place again. It's stupid and annoying!

The only way to move your data to another system is to do a system back up and then restore into the new PS3. When you do this, you will likely lose some information (PS2 game saves, any "locked" PS3 game saves [ie- rock band], and there's something else that I can't remember off hand). It really is a pain in the ass, especially if you have a lot of data.

edit: I missed a couple of points. All systems are "compatible" with other PS3 systems. Thus, there won't be any freaking out as you try to restore info from one PS3 to another (just loss of info). Also, I'm not sure if the DLC would restore, but even if it doesn't there's a record of all the downloads you've done in the Sony store, thus you can redownload everything without issue.

[quote name='Warner1281'] thus you can redownload everything without issue.[/quote]

Up to 5 times. After that you are SOL. This is especially important if you've shared any of your DLC with anyone else.

[quote name='Warner1281']Speaking from experience...

When you remove a HDD from one PS3 and try and place it into ANY other PS3, the system will force you to reformat the HDD, thus removing all info on the HDD. Once a HDD has been formatted by a PS3, it "belongs" to that system. If it is relocated to a new PS3, the formatting must take place again. It's stupid and annoying!

The only way to move your data to another system is to do a system back up and then restore into the new PS3. When you do this, you will likely lose some information (PS2 game saves, any "locked" PS3 game saves [ie- rock band], and there's something else that I can't remember off hand). It really is a pain in the ass, especially if you have a lot of data.
[/quote]

Even if it's under the same PSN ID? I thought they were locked to your PSN, not the system itself?

You mentioned PS2 saves, but when I upgraded my HDD the 1st time, all my PS2 saves were backed up just fine.

[quote name='daminion']Up to 5 times. After that you are SOL. This is especially important if you've shared any of your DLC with anyone else.[/quote]

As long as you deactivate your account on your previous system, this doesn't apply.

But yes, your downloads are associated with your psn id, but your psn id can only be activated on 5 ps3s.

All DLC is tied to the serial number of your PS3. You can swap hard drives all you want, but you can not move your DLC to another PS3. You'll have to re-download it.

The backup will save everything and move it over to the new system.

The PSN games are locked to an account, not a specific console. You can have up to 5 console activated on a PSN account. Those activated consoles can download the purchased content as much as you want.

You can't move the HD from one PS3 to another. It will work in the new system, but it needs to format it first. The PS3 HD is encrypted. The encryption is based on the system board controller. the new system and the old system have different controllers on the motherboard. So format it must.

If you don't have a 100GB to backup on, you can delete the demos and PSN games (redownload with PSN account), and game isntalls. That should reduce the system to gave saves. Then backup and restore.

If you still had your 20GB drive, you could purchase for cheap a USB converter for the 2.5" HD and do backup on that for the restore.

[quote name='EvilIA']The backup will save everything and move it over to the new system.

The PSN games are locked to an account, not a specific console. You can have up to 5 console activated on a PSN account. Those activated consoles can download the purchased content as much as you want.

You can't move the HD from one PS3 to another. It will work in the new system, but it needs to format it first. The PS3 HD is encrypted. The encryption is based on the system board controller. the new system and the old system have different controllers on the motherboard. So format it must.

If you don't have a 100GB to backup on, you can delete the demos and PSN games (redownload with PSN account), and game isntalls. That should reduce the system to gave saves. Then backup and restore.

If you still had your 20GB drive, you could purchase for cheap a USB converter for the 2.5" HD and do backup on that for the restore.[/quote]

Yeah, I still have my 20GB, in fact the 320Gb drive came with a free external shell and I've been using the 20GB drive as an external hard drive for transferring files for quite awhile now. I have a lot of game installs I really don't want to have to redo (UT3...ugh) but that might be the easiest option.

Good point on the PS3 needing to format the drive... that makes sense. I guess a hotswap isn't an option, then, I'd need to back everything up. Beyond that, though, just to clarify - no concern over save games and the like? If they're somehow linked to the system and not just my PSN account it'd be reason enough for me to avoid this unless it was completely necessary.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']All DLC is tied to the serial number of your PS3. You can swap hard drives all you want, but you can not move your DLC to another PS3. You'll have to re-download it.[/quote]

Yes you can. I have two 60GB PS3's. when I purchased the second, I have slow internet and didn't want to download all my content again. that and I forgot my PSN password. I backed up my first 60gb, then restored on the second. Everything was there and playable. It was exactly identical to the down stairs PS3. Themes, my login, the user names, game saves, and psn games.

DLC is tied to the user account. What systems (serial numbers) the content is registered to are allowed to download the content. You can have the user account on a PS3, but if it's not registered, you can't download. Look that the PSN game share threads on the internet. If you remove the user account that downloaded the PSN game, it stops working.

[quote name='johnnypark']Yeah, I still have my 20GB, in fact the 320Gb drive came with a free external shell and I've been using the 20GB drive as an external hard drive for transferring files for quite awhile now. I have a lot of game installs I really don't want to have to redo (UT3...ugh) but that might be the easiest option.

Good point on the PS3 needing to format the drive... that makes sense. I guess a hotswap isn't an option, then, I'd need to back everything up. Beyond that, though, just to clarify - no concern over save games and the like? If they're somehow linked to the system and not just my PSN account it'd be reason enough for me to avoid this unless it was completely necessary.[/quote]

There are a few games that don't transfer well, I think Rock Band. But the backup restore is thought to make a mirror copy. Like a "carbon Copy or Ghost image of the HD". It seems to be so, as I posted above. I backed up one PS3, and restore to another PS3. And it was the exact same. It makes since as if I had to send to repair and got back another system. I need to be whole again.

Thanks a lot, this has all been really helpful.

I looked this chart up which says there are plans for 45nm chips later this year, which would make it even less power-hungry. I might wait to do an upgrade til then, although the price wouldn't be right. The 40GB I found is only $200 and looks to be in pristine condition, dude just needs cash. Meanwhile my DS hinge crack is instilling interest in the DSi before it breaks completely... I need a raise.

The 40gb is a good system. But only has 65nm for the CPU. The 80GB core is the 65nm CPU and GPU. Best to get those as it really lowered the watts used.

The DSi only uses about 5 watts or less.

Despite what the Sony website says, when I did my HDD upgrade last week, my PS2 saves were included during the backup/restore. Of course I found that out after hunting down and purchasing the memory card adapter and another PS2 memory card...

[quote name='johnnypark']Thanks for the reply.

I read that the 65nm reduced power consumption from 380W to 280W, a 100W difference (source). Just a few watts shy of 1/4, which is pretty significant if you ask me, especially when it comes to watching movies. I also feel bad that we split the power bill evenly 3 ways in my house with my roommates, but do to gaming I know I use at least slightly more power than they do.

I already turn off the surge protector when I'm not using it, so there's no idle draw for most of the stuff I have hooked up (other consoles, the monitor they all use, etc).[/quote]

Engadget reports much differently, from Kaz himself.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/08/sonys-kaz-hirai-says-new-ps3s-use-65nm-chips-after-all-partly/

"an amount that had previously been been reported as 120 to 140 watts (down from 200 watts before)"

Again, cutting 60 whole watts, at peak power. Not enough of any savings to be worth the hassle.

I am so scared that I will lose my PS1, PS2, PS3 game saves, and DLC if I try to move everything to a new hard drive.

I keep semi-regular backups on an external 120gb but does that copy everything?

Oh yeah, 60gb release week model here.

If you swap the hard drive from PS2 1 to PS3 2 I dont know if your game saves will be good anymore. Best to back them up to an external harddrive/flashdrive

I was thinking of upgrading my HDD.Will the copy protected gamesaves (RB1 and RB2) be able to be backed up using the backup software from the PS3?

bread's done
Back