I'm an idiot, and EBGames understands this

Xtreme331

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Ok so I have to share this humorous and rather retarded story of what happened to me a few weeks ago:

So I'm packing up my bags for my New Year's trip out to Colorado and I usually take my PS2 out there to play after I get done snowboarding. My wife is currently about 75% finished with Final Fantasy X and I'm playing through it for the 3rd time now. So I get done packing the system safely in my bag (it's a huge bag and the system is surrounded by lots of sweaters, underwear, socks, t-shirts, bubble wrap, and small kittens for cushioning), and start pulling out games I want to take.

I put the games in this new CD holder I had been given for christmas. Well i got distracted in the middle of doing it and came back later to finish. I opened up the case for FFX and uh-oh there was no game in there. I know there's nothing in the PS2, so I start tearing the house apart. I go so far as to call a few of my friends to ask if they had moved it or borrowed it or something. Nothing. So after about an hour or so of both my wife and I looking for the game, we can't find it. I really wanted to take it out and she wanted to finish the game, so I decide to go down to EBGames and just buy the cheapest copy they have, maybe it'll be disc only and i won't have to put up with two cases.

I get to EBGames and explain that i have somehow lost my FFX disc. The guys are real cool and sell me a used copy. So I go to pull out my edge card, when i realize i had grabbed the wrong card (doh!). Whatever. So i get home and crack open the "do not break this seal if you want to return this game" (or whatever) and take the new game out. I open up the CD holder i had gotten for christmas, and boom! staring me right in the face is my old FFX game. God I'm an idiot. Well it's now too late to go back to EBGames since they're closed and i'm leaving on a jet plane (ha-ha) early the next morning and will be gone for about 10 days.

So... when i get back, i go into EBGames with my tail sheepishly tucked between my dumb-ass legs and explain what happens. The guy is totally cool and gives me "the benefit of the doubt." He says he'll let me use the full credit of the game towards the purchase of another one. This time i brought the correct edge card and everything worked out. I wound up picking up a used copy of Morrowing III the game of the year edition for XBox for about 3 bucks more.

So I'm an idiot, and EBGames understands this. Thank you EBGames! I know I'll probably shop there a whole lot more in the future because of this! Great example of really great customer service. Even when the customer is a moron.

Oh yeah. Definitely not telling the wife i found the original game. Just let her think i replaced it. No need for her to know.

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :D

[quote name='Xtreme331']
Oh yeah. Definitely not telling the wife i found the original game. Just let her think i replaced it. No need for her to know.[/quote]

Heh, best part right there. I've done stuff like that plenty of times before, and it's nice to know that you made out okay with it.

I had a kind of similar, in a vague way, experience at EB one time. I bought PSO for Xbox and there was a $10 instant rebate or something, and after I left the store, I realized that it didn't show up in the register, and the guy didn't give it to me. So I had to go back, like you said, tail-between-my-legs-style and go "Uhh..yeah..you forgot to give me, like...10 bucks..even though there's no proof that you didn't...and..uh..yeah.." Like in your situation, the guy was cool, realized his mistake, and gave me a 10 spot from the register. You gotta hand it to EB clerks for their kindness to dumb customers! :dunce:

EBgames thinks that we are all idiots, considering how much that they are buying games for..and then turning around selling them at a mere $5 off brand new MSRP. Anyhow, you just lucked out with a nice sales rep. This is not representative of EBgames.

CheapyD don't feel like a idiot! These things happen, as we get older are memory isn't as crisp as it used to be. Plus we are all human, if I had a dime for all the stupid crap I did like this. Well I might have 50 cents , but this stuff happens. EBgames does have some customer service, and some bad also. Its good hearing things like this it helps us flesh out some of the good stores from the bad ones.

You were packing the PS2 between some sweaters? You should pick up one of those nifty PS2 aluminum carrying cases at TRU. They are green tagged and less than $6, but that may scream steal me to the luggage handlers. It does have a lock on it to make you feel a little safer about traveling with it.

[quote name='Xtreme331']...it's a huge bag and the system is surrounded by lots of sweaters, underwear, socks, t-shirts, bubble wrap, and small kittens for cushioning...[/quote]
:shock:

[quote name='Xtreme331'][quote name='CheapyD']Add you story/store review to the CAG Store Database![/quote]
Done! Thanks Cheapy![/quote]

Hey which mall?
Tallahassee Mall, Ocala Corners, or Governor Square?

[quote name='dwsscs']CheapyD don't feel like a idiot! These things happen, as we get older are memory isn't as crisp as it used to be....[/quote]
Um...Looks like your memory didn't make it past the first post...;)

[quote name='woobacca'][quote name='Xtreme331']...it's a huge bag and the system is surrounded by lots of sweaters, underwear, socks, t-shirts, bubble wrap, and small kittens for cushioning...[/quote]
:shock:[/quote]

:rofl: glad someone finally noticed :D

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='Xtreme331'][quote name='CheapyD']Add you story/store review to the CAG Store Database![/quote]

Done! Thanks Cheapy![/quote]

Hey which mall?
Tallahassee Mall, Ocala Corners, or Governor Square?[/quote]

Woops! Ocala Corners. Sorry.

[quote name='lurknomore']EBgames thinks that we are all idiots, considering how much that they are buying games for..and then turning around selling them at a mere $5 off brand new MSRP. Anyhow, you just lucked out with a nice sales rep. This is not representative of EBgames.[/quote]

As an EBgames employee, I think I can say that no one store should be representative of the whole business. Our store would have done the same in the situation, because we value our customers. We like when the people who buys games come in frequently to do so, or even stop by just to chat. I understand our trade values aren't the best, but hell... I work at EBgames and yet trade in most my stuff at FYE... there are certain chains we just can't compete with. I do however take advantage of our trade-in promotions... we're pretty good about that. If you have poor sales reps at your location lurknomore, I encourage you to alert the district manager. If we get rid of the weakest links, it improves our company as a whole.

thanks,
mike

I can see you really like your company varsitygamer, but I've often gotten a pretty cold shoulder from EBgames folk. The employees seem much nicer when the manager isn't around though.

[quote name='Run4Fun']I can see you really like your company varsitygamer, but I've often gotten a pretty cold shoulder from EBgames folk. The employees seem much nicer when the manager isn't around though.[/quote]

I have gotten this cold sholder too! I have had store employees actually talk down to me and give me wrong answers at the same time. Its like they think they know more since they work in a gaming store (Which should be true!). However you don't talk down to the customer! This is probably due to the "I am a teenager and know everything" phase of life.

At the same time I have talked to some great employees at the same store. Who have been nothing but helpful and knowledgeable.

I was in EB a couple of weeks ago to trade in some stuff and hoping to pick up a used copy of Ghost Recon 2...and it was by far the best experience I've had in their store.

Instead of the usual "scan/scan/scan here's your total take it or leave it" trade-in experience, the cashier asked me item by item if the value was enough to trade it in or if I wanted to keep it, and even asked how my experience was with some of the accessories. Once he was all done and gave me the gift card, I asked if they had any used copies of Ghost Recon 2. Another rep from the back of the store came out and said that they were out of stock, but he was holding one to buy for himself, which he handed over so I could buy. He said that he could just pick up a new copy instead. I was shocked! Normally I'm treated like a second-class sub-human. I took my purchase to the car, and realized that I was wearing a Microsoft jacket that I had gotten off the MS training site.

**note to self - wear MS gear whenever shopping at EB!**

[quote name='eshbums']I was in EB a couple of weeks ago to trade in some stuff and hoping to pick up a used copy of Ghost Recon 2...and it was by far the best experience I've had in their store.

Instead of the usual "scan/scan/scan here's your total take it or leave it" trade-in experience, the cashier asked me item by item if the value was enough to trade it in or if I wanted to keep it, and even asked how my experience was with some of the accessories. Once he was all done and gave me the gift card, I asked if they had any used copies of Ghost Recon 2. Another rep from the back of the store came out and said that they were out of stock, but he was holding one to buy for himself, which he handed over so I could buy. He said that he could just pick up a new copy instead. I was shocked! Normally I'm treated like a second-class sub-human. I took my purchase to the car, and realized that I was wearing a Microsoft jacket that I had gotten off the MS training site.

**note to self - wear MS gear whenever shopping at EB!**[/quote]
:lol: What a good idea.

[quote name='dwsscs']\ Don't feel like a idiot! These things happen, as we get older are memory isn't as crisp as it used to be. Plus we are all human, if I had a dime for all the stupid crap I did like this. Well I might have 50 cents , but this stuff happens. EBgames does have some customer service, and some bad also. Its good hearing things like this it helps us flesh out some of the good stores from the bad ones.

You were packing the PS2 between some sweaters? You should pick up one of those nifty PS2 aluminum carrying cases at TRU. They are green tagged and less than $6, but that may scream steal me to the luggage handlers. It does have a lock on it to make you feel a little safer about traveling with it.[/quote]

I have had some good EB stories, but this is the only one to come out of the dreaded MALL EB:

With a trade-in deal and some cash, I finally took the jump and bought an XBOX. I had been pushing my luck to begin with, since I used two identical games as part of the trade-in deal. The guy pointed out that identical titles weren's supposed to work, but when the computer accepted them he decided to let it slide. So anyway, after paying and everything, I take the XBOX and go back to my car. I'm finally in my car and then it hits me... I completely forgot to take my CHANGE. I paid with a hundred dollar bill (I owed $87 after the trade-ins), so I was out thirteen bucks.

I run back into the store and explain the situation. I admitted that it was extremely awkward, since I really had no proof. It was simply my word against theirs. But the guys were very cooperative, and actually went into the register and counted all the money. Sure enough, they were 13 bucks over, so my story matched up completely. They apologized profusely for forgetting to give me the change, I told them it was no problem and I was just glad I caught it before I left.

I have had some hellish experiences with the MALL employess, but that was one case where some good ones beat the trend.

[quote name='BustaUppa']ay, after paying and everything, I take the XBOX and go back to my car. I'm finally in my car and then it hits me... I completely forgot to take my CHANGE. I paid with a hundred dollar bill (I owed $87 after the trade-ins), so I was out thirteen bucks.

I run back into the store and explain the situation. I admitted that it was extremely awkward, since I really had no proof. It was simply my word against theirs. But the guys were very cooperative, and actually went into the register and counted all the money. Sure enough, they were 13 bucks over, so my story matched up completely. They apologized profusely for forgetting to give me the change, I told them it was no problem and I was just glad I caught it before I left.[/quote]

My buddy did something similar at a store, thought he didn't get $20 cash back on an ATM/debit transaction and didn't realize it until he had left the store. He was talking with another friend and figures he just forgot to make sure he got his money. The store (a Target) took down his info and a few days later called him up to let him know they had pulled the security tapes and had video of the cashier handing him a $20 bill :lol:

I dunno how everybody else's EBGames treats them, but mine is definitely cool. I don't think i've ever had a bad experience with them either, although i don't do a whole lot of trade-ins, which seems to be where a lot of people disagree with EB. I'm just glad my situation worked out. :D

bread's done
Back