Biggest Disappointment In Execution Of Concept This Generation?

jkanownik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
After playing Mirror's Edge last night for the first time I really had a hard time figuring it out if I was more disappointed by Mirror's Edge or The Force Unleashed. I wanted to love both games very badly so it pissed me off even more when bad level design ruined the experience for me. With a longer interative design process based on actually playing the game both games could have been absolutely amazing. To a lesser extent Assassin's Creed (I felt it was still an awesome game), Ninja Gaiden (I knew it was going to be hard going in) and Dark Sector (low expectations) had the same problem.

I'm wondering how these games rank for other people in terms of disappointment and if there are any others that reach this level. It's weird that even with the same overall quality rating I'd much rather play a more evenly mediocre game like Quake 4, Timeshift, Army of Two or 50 Cent Blood in the Sand because I don't have to deal with the frustrating parts.

Ha. Before even clicking on the thread the first two games I thought of were Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed. I also still really enjoyed Assassin's Creed despite all the repetition, but the controls and combat in Mirror's Edge ruined it for me. I wish the whole game had been more like the time trial levels because those were much more fun.

I want to call out MGS4 because the gameplay sort of dried up after the second act, or GTA4 because Rockstar removed or altered a lot of the fun side missions and put in the lame friends system instead, but AC and ME's faults left a much bigger impression on me. I'm looking forward to AC2 since it sounds like they've tightened it up a lot. I probably won't play a Mirror's Edge sequel if they ever make one.

Even with all the repetition in AC, I still found it fun. I really enjoyed how elegant Altair could be running around, climbing buildings, the stealth kills, etc. I haven't jumped on the Mirror's Edge bandwagon, but with the recent price drops I've been considering grabbing a copy. Even then I keep running into posts like this which makes me want to keep away. I was thinking that same kind of elegance from AC would be in Mirror's Edge -- from the demo, it seemed like it at least -- but is that not the case? Even the Zero Punctuation review said play the demo a few times, but don't waste your time with the game.

I'm gonna go with The Last Remnant, only because it seemed awesome when I first read about it but seemed less and less awesome each subsequent bit of information until my expectations were finally rock-bottom for the release. It met them, barely.

I'm sure others would say Too Human merits mentioning, though I haven't played it enough to form my own opinion yet.

Oh, and the Wii.

[quote name='The Crotch']You forgot the "lol".

Please don't make me look like an ass.[/QUOTE]

But, I'm not kidding.

Dammit, I was going to go with "WII, HURF DURF," which is, in fact, a kind of laugh. Does that count as "lol"?

[quote name='Blackout']Dead Soace
Prince of Persia
Haze
UT3 (PS3)[/quote]

UT3? How dare you.

I thought Haze was meh. I enjoyed Dead Space.

Biggest Disappointment?

I would say the Nintendo Wii in general.

[quote name='The Crotch']I can't say no to you, trq.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know. *takes long satisfying drag on cigarette and buckles pants*

But seriously, it's probably Assassin's Creed. You could build my dream game with most of the things AC did right: an open, realistic historical setting; a clever plot; well-animated combat. Too bad all that was coupled with repeating the same, simplistic two or three minutes of gameplay for something like twelve hours. It's either the worst "good" game I've ever played, or the best bad one.

[quote name='shinryuu']Madden does it every year.[/quote]

He said this generation, not every generation.

Ninja Gaiden 2. Buggy as hell, unbalanced difficulty, a major loss of face for all involved.

[quote name='Jerajdai'] Even then I keep running into posts like this which makes me want to keep away. I was thinking that same kind of elegance from AC would be in Mirror's Edge -- from the demo, it seemed like it at least -- but is that not the case? Even the Zero Punctuation review said play the demo a few times, but don't waste your time with the game.[/quote]

The demo of Mirror's Edge was very good because it's very straightforward and intuitive.
Unfortunately every level after that part is nothing but trial and error with some parts giving you little clues on "how to go" next.
I too highly suggest a rent. Such a shame.

I'd also like to throw out Mercenaries 2. That game seriously needed more time in the oven.
Glitchy as all get out, short, missing animations, and just a lack of things that should have been a must considering it's scope.
Why can't you skydive in the game??? You could do that in Just Cause!! Coop is it's only saving grace.

I would say the Wii but I'm not sure that's the right answer. If the concept of the Wii was to give up on games and focus on shit like Wii Play and Wii Fit, then I can't really say they haven't executed on it.

Is the Wii really a disappointment in execution of concept? The concept is lower quality graphics, simpler gameplay and a slightly lower price. The problem is the concept itself, not the execution. If I put in a Wii game I know exactly what I'm getting. There's no disappointment because there is less potential.

[quote name='rickonker']I would say the Wii but I'm not sure that's the right answer. If the concept of the Wii was to give up on games and focus on shit like Wii Play and Wii Fit, then I can't really say they haven't executed on it.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='jkanownik']Is the Wii really a disappointment in execution of concept? The concept is lower quality graphics, simpler gameplay and a slightly lower price. The problem is the concept itself, not the execution. If I put in a Wii game I know exactly what I'm getting. There's no disappointment because there is less potential.[/QUOTE]
:D

Wii third party support.

The Wii is the biggest missed opportunity in gaming in a long time because many third parties are still as bitter about Nintendo as forum posters.

I'm going to go ahead and say the 360, quality-wise. Everything else is perfect (for me), but the quality of the system itself is ridiculously low. I wonder if the quality issue has hurt their potential sales at all.

[quote name='docvinh']I'm going to go ahead and say the 360, quality-wise. Everything else is perfect (for me), but the quality of the system itself is ridiculously low. I wonder if the quality issue has hurt their potential sales at all.[/QUOTE]
Around 50 people are about to tell you it's helped their sales, not hurt them.

a) Personally, I liked Mirror's Edge a lot, although I think I would've enjoyed it more if you never got a gun.
b) I like more games on my Wii than on my 360 or PS3, although I do play PS3 the most due to SF4.
c) DS is my favorite current platform. I'd argue it has the most "very good-great" games, and also some of the most unique games out there.
d) Assassin's Creed is crap, but I wasn't expecting that much from it.

So to actually get back on topic, I'd have to say anything with Sonic in it. Dishonorable mentions include Mercenaries 2, Lair, Perfect Dark Zero, Red Steel.

gta4, mgs4 and RE5. all should have been awesome but each one went off in a whole other direction that kinda failed imo.

gta4 offers up a huge world that you cant do dick with.

mgs4 i dunno what to say about it except for i played it once and only once because theres wasnt anythning there to come back to. the online multiplayer is kinda dull too.

RE5. ok action game but aside from the challenge of dif difficulty levels theres not much there for someone hoping to get more of the re story. its kind of a side story or really it feels more like a mod for re4. basically another series thats been killed off for me. it was fun enough when youre looking for a new game to play but after that not much else.

[quote name='Blackout']Dead Soace
Prince of Persia
Haze
UT3 (PS3)[/quote]

You oughta be slapped for putting Unreal Tournament 3 in there. It's the purest shooter this gen. Haze understandable. Halo, Definitely. Call of Duty? Debatable. But UT3? You deserve a glove slap.

Alone in the Dark. I never played any of the previous games in the series, but the concept had me very interested. Too bad it was executed poorly.

I know I'm really going against the majority here, but definitely the Wii. (lol)

I remember getting it on launch and thinking it would be the end all, be all system. And that first year made me think that too. But right after that first year, I scrambled to get enough money for a new system, and my Wii has been sitting in its box since I last moved about 6 months ago. Now I'm thinking about selling it to upgrade my PC.

I'm also disappointed by the entire RPG genre this generation (and most of last generation, for that matter). I guess I should blame this on Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne; ever since I played that game, every other RPG I've played seems so inferior by comparison. It's like cutting into a porterhouse steak and, right before you can bite into it, having it magically swapped with instant noodles.

Edit: Oh yeah, and UT3 is Epic. (Pun totally intended, but seriously, best shooter I've played this year.)

[quote name='jman619']UT3? How dare you.

I thought Haze was meh. I enjoyed Dead Space.
[/quote]

[quote name='Paco']You oughta be slapped for putting Unreal Tournament 3 in there. It's the purest shooter this gen. Haze understandable. Halo, Definitely. Call of Duty? Debatable. But UT3? You deserve a glove slap.[/quote]

UT3 fans? Where the fuck were you guys when the game actually came out? Nowhere to be found. The UT3 community was dead 2 weeks after the game came out. UT3 was a fun game. I loved how fast paced it was. The problem is, the campaign is the worst excuse for a single player experience I have ever seen. That's pretty unacceptable. Also, UT3 was hampered by the PS3's capabilities. No in game XMB killed UT3. There was no voice chat, in game messaging completely sucked, and there was no party system. Stats didn't properly track, the game always seemed to lock up, and the servers were royally fucked for months before Epic decided to do anything about it. The online component was really frustrating. I also feel it didn't take advantage of the PS3 when it came to customization and creation.

Dead Space was cool for the first 3 or 4 chapters but then the game got completely boring.

All Pro Football 2K8 - 2K's epic return to prove that gameplay rules in the sports genre excited nobody but the hardest of hardcore 2K fans that don't mind a game that is a gimped, bland version of NFL 2K5. This wasn't a good reason for why they deserved a second chance from the NFL.

MLB 2K series - Talk about the textbook example of why people tend to hate sports exclusivity, as 2K just phoned it home for four straight years with buggy, terrible games that just don't cut it for baseball fans. Nobody should be forced to buy that crap because it's their only option. They're lucky that at least Sony stepped up to give baseball fans one option, even if it's only for about half of the systems out there. They might as well just give the full license to Sony and stop wasting everybody's time year after year of broken promises that they've finally fixed the game.

XBox 360 hardware. C'mon. Love my Elite, but it's ridiculous when you got to worry about your gaming console getting three red lights or one of many other problems. You'd think Microsoft after their years in the computer business can craft a good, sturdy gaming console (especially with this being their second one), but instead they make a product you have to pray or hope doesn't fuck up. That and when they send a "refurbished" system, more often then it should, it can be messed up as well.

The Wii. What hasn't been said about it? Smash Bros. was a total disappointment and I haven't turned it on in months now.

Assassin's Creed. The first time I ever fully realized the bias in game publications and website. The game was broken and repetitive as all hell, but it still gets honors and nominations for game of the year? Are you kidding me? Loved Prince of Persia, but this game was just me getting annoyed with doing the same thing over and over.

[quote name='Blackout']UT3 fans? Where the fuck were you guys when the game actually came out? Nowhere to be found. The UT3 community was dead 2 weeks after the game came out. UT3 was a fun game. I loved how fast paced it was. The problem is, the campaign is the worst excuse for a single player experience I have ever seen. That's pretty unacceptable. Also, UT3 was hampered by the PS3's capabilities. No in game XMB killed UT3. There was no voice chat, in game messaging completely sucked, and there was no party system. Stats didn't properly track, the game always seemed to lock up, and the servers were royally fucked for months before Epic decided to do anything about it. The online component was really frustrating. I also feel it didn't take advantage of the PS3 when it came to customization and creation.

Dead Space was cool for the first 3 or 4 chapters but then the game got completely boring.[/quote]

Someone tell me he did NOT just trash both UT3 and Dead Space in the same post. Nothing personal, but are you always this wrong on the internet?

And my vote goes for the Wii
Remote. 1:1 my ass!

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Someone tell me he did NOT just trash both UT3 and Dead Space in the same post. Nothing personal, but are you always this wrong on the internet?[/spoiler][/quote]

I agree with him. UT3 was balls out of the gates and Dead Space was more about just finishing the game towards the end than anything else. The "scare tactics" in Dead Space didn't change throughout the game so towards the end you were used to or expecting them thus making the experience boring.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Someone tell me he did NOT just trash both UT3 and Dead Space in the same post. Nothing personal, but are you always this wrong on the internet?
[/quote]

Did you even read my post? I wasn't trashing UT3's gameplay. I was trashing how the game turned out (shitty single player, poor online reliability, dead community, lack of essential capabilities, etc). Open your eyes man!:D

[quote name='Malik112099']I agree with him. UT3 was balls out of the gates and Dead Space was more about just finishing the game towards the end than anything else. The "scare tactics" in Dead Space didn't change throughout the game so towards the end you were used to or expecting them thus making the experience boring.[/quote]

Exactly. Like I said, the game was great for the first few chapters, but then everything gets predictable and boring. It wasn't scary, the story was terrible, the weapons sucked, and the ending was awful. Also, the cutting off limbs part was cool for about an hour. However, once you do it about a million times throughout the game, it loses its charm. I just don't get the love fest that Dead Space gets on CAG and in the gaming community.

Biggest disappointment is the Wii, easily. That thing is a gaming disaster on so many levels. Worst online ever, worse then gamecube graphics 99% of the time, and hardly any decent games.

The 2nd biggest disappointment is Wii Fanboys. They're so excited that their preferred company is destroying the competition without releasing any games for it. Yes, they are happy that they dont have anything awesome and new to play month after month, as long as their preferred company is selling more product then the "evil' HD twins. Good job at being gamers. Their worst offense... "Cry Moar". Yes, we're crying because we want more real games purchases rather then digital scales. So sue us. Oh and honorable mention goes to their feeling of Entitlement. "WII IS THE #1 SELLING CONSOLE, WHY DONT WE GET ALL THE BEST GAMES!". Cry moar indeed.

[quote name='Blackout']UT3 fans? Where the fuck were you guys when the game actually came out? Nowhere to be found. The UT3 community was dead 2 weeks after the game came out. UT3 was a fun game. I loved how fast paced it was. The problem is, the campaign is the worst excuse for a single player experience I have ever seen. That's pretty unacceptable. Also, UT3 was hampered by the PS3's capabilities. No in game XMB killed UT3. There was no voice chat, in game messaging completely sucked, and there was no party system. Stats didn't properly track, the game always seemed to lock up, and the servers were royally fucked for months before Epic decided to do anything about it. The online component was really frustrating. I also feel it didn't take advantage of the PS3 when it came to customization and creation.

Dead Space was cool for the first 3 or 4 chapters but then the game got completely boring.[/quote]

I had it a week after it came out. So did a few others,but the rest got it later on. Unreal is terrible for single player or the campaign. I played it back then when there wasn't many people on. I can see why you didn't like it then although I still enjoyed it. It is way better now though than it was then.

bread's done
Back