CAGcast #157: Half Nelson

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]Nelson Rodriguez, former Achievement Junkie host and Microsoft employee joins us for a fun interview and CheapyD provides a new CheapyD Promise. We also talk NPD numbers,the latest shopping and industry news, new releases, your CAGbag questions and so much more!

This episode is sponsored by X-Blades' rebate offer
9061-77278-27039-4
(download rebate pdf)

[podcast]63[/podcast]
Download - 121 minutes, 49MB
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photos:
coming soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll take a lot more than a $5 rebate for me to buy X-Blades (unless Target drops it to $5 on clearance) but good luck for the contest Cheapy; hopefully you get some creative entries.

I had to restart my listening because the introduction was the most bitchin' intro you've pulled out in ages.

Here comes a NEW SPONSOR!

WTF?!

I'm all for Cheapy getting paid, but you really could of left out the shill at the very beginning of the podcast. Isn't that why you hated the Navy ads, because it was just an insertion of a boring promo? Just leave the sponsor stuff to special discussion or fun talk during the show, like you did with Gamestop and like you do with Netflix.

The ad was fine but I fully expect a lot of complaints. I am in no way interested in x-blades but I'm all for sponsorship as long as it's genuine and cool (and this is neither of those things).
Oh and Beatles fucking rock. Don't know if I'll get the full set but I imagine once I see the instruments, I'll pull my wallet out pretty fast.

Cool. I have no issue with the ad. Makes the podcast that much more like a "real" professional venture, lol. Can't wait to listen to the full show.

When you look at the poor initial sales of Chinatown Wars you have to look at 2 factors:

First, the game was not marketed well. The game had less advertising than The Lost and Damned, and while I saw a few commercials on TV of that, a downloadable expansion, I have yet to see a single ad for Chinatown Wars.

Second, there was the perception that the game would cost $50. A few months before the game came out, retailers like Amazon and Gamestop had a pre-order price for the game at $49.99, and this news spread, and that perception is still there somewhat.

[quote name='KingBroly']When you look at the poor initial sales of Chinatown Wars you have to look at 2 factors:

First, the game was not marketed well. The game had less advertising than The Lost and Damned, and while I saw a few commercials on TV of that, a downloadable expansion, I have yet to see a single ad for Chinatown Wars.[/quote]
I've seen as many commercials for Chinatown Wars as I have for The Lost and Damned. It could just vary on how much tv you watch, what channels you watch, etc.

And about the Wolverine cartoon, Wolverine does what he can to not stand out as a mutant, hence wearing the helmet despite his skeleton and healing factor. But all in all, the cartoon doesn't follow the comic (or the horrible movies), so its very YMMV on whether or not you'll enjoy it.

[quote name='KingBroly']When you look at the poor initial sales of Chinatown Wars you have to look at 2 factors:

First, the game was not marketed well. The game had less advertising than The Lost and Damned, and while I saw a few commercials on TV of that, a downloadable expansion, I have yet to see a single ad for Chinatown Wars.

Second, there was the perception that the game would cost $50. A few months before the game came out, retailers like Amazon and Gamestop had a pre-order price for the game at $49.99, and this news spread, and that perception is still there somewhat.[/quote]

There was plenty of advertising going in TV land around this title with several high reviews and praises from different gaming magazines and websites. I'm not too sure on your second argument, as that has more to do with the public's perception on the game. For what it's worth, I knew the correct price of the game when it was released from sales ads and news about Gamestop's Preorder deal.

I find all the news about GTA: CW sales to be quite odd. I'm not too sure why people expected it to sell like hot shit immediately out of the gate especially when the last portable GTA title looked and played extremely similar to the PS2 incarnations. I put in several hours of the DS version before sending it back to Gamefly, and while it was fun, I just found it to be unnecessary. For me, the camera was too close to your character and killed the exploration factor to the game. Surely, I wasn't the only one who had problems mapping out the world in their head? The city just all looked the same to me.

Perhaps the game will pick up steam in the upcoming month from the hardcore GTA crowd, but then again, do those people even own DS systems?

[quote name='wiiheat']The CAGCast, brought to you by Carl's Jr.[/quote]

Home of the EXTRA BIG ASS TACO! Carl's Jr...fuck you, I'm eating.

Haha judging from the first posts seems like CAG is gettin paid ;]

Former podcast-e aye? interesting should be a good one

Wombat, the game you were playing in Professor Layton was Digital Digits - the one that asks you to find times of day with three digits in a row. It's one of my favourite puzzles ever.

And yeah, the first time I did it I had to do a similar thing :p

Almost nothing is as annoying as iPhone owners and their stupid $0.99 apps. I guess since most places outlawed smoking that humans naturally evolved some other way to keep being annoying.

Excellent interview with Nelson. I totally get his take on the negative posters. Every once in a while I try to participate in the great "community" everyone talks about but find myself aggravated by the trolls who like tearing everything down. You get upset but then remind yourself they're usually 13 year olds from Austrailia or something like that with nothing better to do on a Saturday night. So I stop posting until the next time the urge strikes me again.

[quote name='DarkZion']I've seen as many commercials for Chinatown Wars as I have for The Lost and Damned. It could just vary on how much tv you watch, what channels you watch, etc.[/quote]
Agreed. I saw the TV ads for this all over the place. It even played a part in the South Park episode 'Margaritaville'.

[quote name='DarkZion']And about the Wolverine cartoon, Wolverine does what he can to not stand out as a mutant, hence wearing the helmet despite his skeleton and healing factor. But all in all, the cartoon doesn't follow the comic (or the horrible movies), so its very YMMV on whether or not you'll enjoy it.[/quote]
In my opinion, the show's OK, not horrible but not great either. I think Wombat will back me up that one of the big problems with this version is Wolverine's the team leader. He's always resisted leadership and hated the times he's been forced in that role. He's the angry guy who's a thorn in Xavier and Cyclop's side. He might be the most popular X-Man but he should never be the leader.

[quote name='banodyne']Excellent interview with Nelson. I totally get his take on the negative posters. Every once in a while I try to participate in the great "community" everyone talks about but find myself aggravated by the trolls who like tearing everything down. You get upset but then remind yourself they're usually 13 year olds from Austrailia or something like that with nothing better to do on a Saturday night. So I stop posting until the next time the urge strikes me again.[/quote]
Dude, I'm 14 and it's New Zealand. J/K :)

I'm excited to listen to this podcast tonight, I'm curious to see what Nelson has to say.

Nelson was by far the best interview you guys have done because he was engaging, interesting, and funny. Please please PLEASE try and make an effort to get him on the show more often.

Not the response I was expecting out of Cheapy after the whole racist scandal from last show, but props to you for not giving in because it's your show and you can say whatever you want.

Edit: Also, you can get SingStar Queen as well as the wireless mics right now from Europe.

Great episode, it would be awesome if Nelson could be on the show more often there seems to be a great dynamic between Cheapy Wombat and Nelson(especially when they're ripping on wombat, sorry wombat) I never thought much of the guy until this episode.

That was a great podcast, and sorry to say but although I liked the cagplay forecast CheapyD was right when he said the energy was low and greenblattsam, IIRC its against the rules to post a rom site on the forums, even though it was only an example.

this eps. just wasn't racist enough lol

great interview i liked the part when he called wombat a girl i lol'd

CheapyD, Resident Evil 5 is so easy you should have no trouble beating it

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Not the response I was expecting out of Cheapy after the whole racist scandal from last show, but props to you for not giving in because it's your show and you can say whatever you want.[/quote]

Haha...I just checked that last thread and I think I need to make it a point to check these threads more often.

You CAG photoshop gurus need to work on boxart for KILLZONE: THE HELL GASSED GOOD TIME HAPPY PLACE and KILLZONE: SOMETHING OR OTHER.

[quote name='Willeth']Wombat, the game you were playing in Professor Layton was Digital Digits - the one that asks you to find times of day with three digits in a row. It's one of my favourite puzzles ever.

And yeah, the first time I did it I had to do a similar thing :p[/quote]

dammit i was gonna say that :/

also, in regards to RE5 vs mode, if anyone wants to play, hit me up on live :p

Don't care about ads. But I do have a problem with nav bar going away on the home page. I used to click on the Deals link to go right to the Deals forums and now it's gone replaced with a huge search bar. Why couldn't you keep both?

Hi, I'm black guy #6. I was slightly offended last show when you assumed Wombat was talking about a black person at Wendey's cause stupid people come in all races. Also I'm not going to give fake threats how this is my last time listening to the Cagcast like the other people did. I loose a little respect for you making the comment, but you will have to piss me off several more times before I just stop listening all together.

Guys, why the hell are you doing news reported first by the HipHopGamer? He makes up shit like the Xbox Live V.I.P thing and the Gran Turismo on the PSP thing to get hits. It has even been proven that he makes his shit up. Come on guys, step up.

Great interview by the way with Nelson Rodriguez.

I think one of the reasons for GTA chinatown wars' slow sales is the fact that the protagonist is an asian dude, thats the retail kiss of death if it doesn't involve kung fu. If Faith had been an ugly asian guy instead of an ugly asian chick EA would have been even more disappointed..

Sure piracy on the ds is rampant but I dont know how you can use that to justify fewer sales when other ds titles are no less immune to piracy.

I thought wombat made a really good point with the RE5 maps limited audience though.Also great interview with minor nelson, would like to hear more from him.

Oh also wombat mentioned he gets moppy when he gets criticised, you know that kinda sucks, I made some disparaging comments aimed at wombat in the past, I think I'll put a little more thought into what I say, I don't mean to say those things just to be an asshole but they probably come across that way sometimes.

Damn it Cheapy, I just saw that awesome Mega Man 2 rap you used as your intro a few days ago and just FINALLY got it out of my head, only to have it rear it's head again!

My name is Bubble Man and I've got something to....DEAD!

that was a good interview with Minor Nelson, too bad he lost his trabajo. I was suprised to hear that Major Nelson was married, he sounds like he is light in the loafers. I differ to Wombat on that one, his gaydar is finely tuned.

Cheapy, you eat terrible food all the time. No wonder you weigh too much and have high cholesterol. Try this out (adapted from the dieting portion of Bill Phillips' Body for Life program, which is great if you want to really change how you eat, work out, and make yourself look way better).
1. Eat six meals of smaller portions per day.

2. Those meals should have one portion of a lean protein, like chicken breast or lean red meat, and one portion of good carbohydrates, like a potato, brown rice, or whole wheat bread. A portion size is either the size of your closed fist, or the size of your palm.

3. Eat vegetables a few times a day.

Just stay away from white rice, white bread, sugar (switch to something like splenda), and bad fats. There are good fats, like olive and flaxseed oil, and avocado.

I don't really know why I'm typing this out for you, but you may want to give it a try. You'll lose weight, feel better (great dumps, but lots of gas from all the fiber), and be healthier. There's more info on the Body for Life website. I did this for a few months and lost thirty pounds, and got way stronger as well from all the working out.

Cheapy, you said you were watching WCG nefariously. Why? You can just go to hulu and watch pretty much any show. That's what I do...

[quote name='Xavin']Cheapy, you said you were watching WCG nefariously. Why? You can just go to hulu and watch pretty much any show. That's what I do...[/quote]
Pretty sure hulu locks out IP's from other countries.

you can watch all of the ultimate gamer episodes that have aired already on HULU. its an ok show but alot of the people on it dont seem like theyre that good at gaming. i think the shows not doing so well since theyre supposed to be cutting it down to the final 2 on the next episode and theres like 4 or 6 people left. the halo 3 themed episode was pretty good. you should have that guy back on the cagcast definelty one of the funniest shows ever if not the funniest. and if he does bring his podcast back im gonna check it out.

bread's done
Back