- - - - -

"Original Formula" Mt Dew & Pepsi

#31 Demolition Man   REV-OH-LU-TION! CAGiversary!   14855 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Demolition Man

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

Found the 20oz Dew today at Walgreens. It was the last bottle they had in the fridge which was right next to at least six-seven rows of the "regular" artificial sugar based Dew. Forgot to check if they had any cases in. No signs of Pepsi either.

Taste wise compared to the artificial sugar based Dew its not as ultra sweet tasting but its much smoother. Its very enjoyable and certainly worth trying out. If you are looking for something with cane sugar that still has that ultra sweet taste to it I'd recommend the Green Apple flavor from Jones Soda. It does have a little of a sour to it which you would expect given the flavor. But it certainly hits the sweet spot.

#32 ducttapeBigSexy   I love soda! CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

ducttapeBigSexy

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:24 PM

:puke:

That stuff tastes like chemicals, not soda.

I'm interested to try the new mt. dew though.

Yeah, tasty chemicals!

#33 fullhavok   I am the one!! CAGiversary!   598 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

fullhavok

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:26 PM

dam, i need to get my hands on them.. i mean the Pepsi & the dew. I'll go on the hunt tonight after work....hopefully i can find them, anyone in Miami found any yet?? IM please.

#34 Mr_hockey66   Lets go pens! CAGiversary!   7728 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Mr_hockey66

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

I had a sprite in mexico that used sugar instead of corn sryup BEST sprite ever! I actally asked my local store to import them sadly they would not! This is great. No mt dew will double jack you up!
Im all for it

yay for two chuck norriss's in a row. Double the bad ass!

#35 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7113 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

I hope this becomes the new standard, like how General Mills switched to whole grain.
Besides, sugar is healthier than HFCS, just remember to take sweets in moderation, fellow Americans.

#36 manthing   etc, etc, etc, etc, CAGiversary!   18149 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

Bought a bottle of both last night.

Wasn't a fan of the Pepsi.

The Dew was thisclose to having me drink non-diet sodas again

#37 SpazX   13 Billion Years in the Making CAGiversary!   8346 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

Besides, sugar is healthier than HFCS

That's not what the commercials from the corn refiners association say!

#38 Koggit   almost sorry CAGiversary!   3886 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

artificial sweeteners ftw

#39 Demolition Man   REV-OH-LU-TION! CAGiversary!   14855 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Demolition Man

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

artificial sweeteners ftl

Fixed.

#40 shadowkast   Lowball Ban Lowball Ban   4980 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

shadowkast

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

they make a coke during passover, or whatever, that is koscher.....that is really good. Had the pepsi throwback the other day, didn't care for it....tasted kinda like hat pepsi zero stuff

#41 Demolition Man   REV-OH-LU-TION! CAGiversary!   14855 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Demolition Man

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

Just found 12 packs for both Pepsi and Dew today at Super America. They actually had a print out saying "THESE ARE NOT REGULAR PEPSI" and "THESE ARE NOT REGULAR MOUNTAIN DEW" above them. I guess its either because they feel people can't read the Throwback on the box or so people will know right away that neither of these are part of whatever Pepsi product sales they run.

Just put a few in the fridge. Will give a review on Pepsi in a bit.

#42 tiredfornow   Banned Banned   35417 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

tiredfornow

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

I had a mountain dew throwback last night with a regular mountain dew and the taste difference was pretty obvious. Hope they keep throwback around forever. :0)

#43 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

i can't find them in CT.... anyone have any CT reports?

#44 packerfan10   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   566 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

packerfan10

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:30 PM

We have had them here in the glass for a long time with Pepsi, Coke, Squirt, and a few others here in So Cal at most Mexican food places. They are good. I can taste the difference more with coke then Pepsi with the real sugar. It is much better. I have read that Coke is going in the other direction they want to make sure that none of the real stuff makes it into the US anymore cause it sells better then the regular stuff they don't like that to much. Most of the states are here in the Desert Southwest but they want to stop with the real stuff down here very soon from what I have herd.

#45 machoman_93   ATTENTION ALL YOCTOGRAMS! CAGiversary!   495 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

machoman_93

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:47 PM

i can't find them in CT.... anyone have any CT reports?

Likewise, I can't find any in Southern California. Are these only in some states or something?

#46 Sporadic   done with this site CAGiversary!   9499 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:18 AM

I was at my local grocery store today and saw a display of Throwback Mt Dew & Pepsi. It claims to have natural sugar instead of corn syrup as a sweetener like olden times (or south of the border). I've had Coke with natural sugar and that stuff is damn good. Has anyone seen/tried either of these yet?

Bought a few 20ozs from Wal Mart. For some reason they were on a random aisle about as far way from the soda aisle as possible.

Throwback Mt Dew tastes like a less carbonated version of Mellow Yellow

Edited by Sporadic, 26 April 2009 - 12:32 AM.

#47 MillerTime2523   FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND CAGiversary!   8544 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

MillerTime2523

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:22 AM

Got most of the HFCS out of my diet as hard as it is these days - I might have to give this a shot.

#48 tiredfornow   Banned Banned   35417 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

tiredfornow

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

We have had them here in the glass for a long time with Pepsi, Coke, Squirt, and a few others here in So Cal at most Mexican food places. They are good. I can taste the difference more with coke then Pepsi with the real sugar. It is much better. I have read that Coke is going in the other direction they want to make sure that none of the real stuff makes it into the US anymore cause it sells better then the regular stuff they don't like that to much. Most of the states are here in the Desert Southwest but they want to stop with the real stuff down here very soon from what I have herd.

I don't know what the Fuck you just said, little man, but it was special. Reached out, and touched a brotha's heart.

#49 thack   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   170 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:45 AM

Subsidies for American corn growers + Tariffs on foreign sugar imports to protect America's small sugar industry= Crappy soda for America.

On a side note, has anyone tried the Dublin Dr. Pepper with cane sugar. I've heard it's very good. For my money, though, nothing tops Ski in a glass bottle.

#50 LordKefka06   Follow The Reaper CAGiversary!   1681 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

LordKefka06

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:56 AM

No, i havn't seen this lately, But ill check my local grocery store tomorrow. What I'm hoping for is to see this in "Amp" (Mt. Dew energy drink)

#51 youbastards   Hey! Why so sexy? CAGiversary!   257 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

youbastards

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:32 AM

I'm glad to find others are as happy about this as i am. :)

I enjoy the "Throwbacks" for both Pepsi & Mtn Dew, they actually taste like i remember from my childhood. I had forgotten how much the taste changed.

Hoping these stick around for a while. Maybe they'll eventually make Livewire with sugar! ;)

Just wish they would bring back the short 16oz glass bottles with the styrofoam labels that acted as insulation....

#52 Mr. Dza   Paid the cost... CAGiversary!   360 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:56 AM

I picked up a 12 of Dew this afternoon and I'm very happy to report that it is not only made with real sugar but also with WIN! Its really good! Its a bit more subdued than regular Dew. That is to say it greets the palate smoothly. I'm very pleased and I hope they keep it around for a while. Pepsi, you're next!

#53 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40047 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

I tried the Pepsi today, couldn't find the Mt Dew.

The taste difference isn't huge, but it's there. Good stuff.

#54 erehwon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3119 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:57 AM

I got to try some of the pepsi throwback yesterday. I thought it was good, but I couldn't notice a huge difference. I hope they keep it around for a while.

#55 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

I got some of the pepsi over the weekend, there is definitely a difference in the taste, it seems less sweet. I like it.

#56 mykevermin   Queen of Scotland CAGiversary!   37011 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Had a bottle of the Mountain Dew over the weekend as I drove up to C-bus. Color me impressed. The flavor was different enough, yet similar. The biggest difference to me, and I may be wrong since I don't drink Dew often and nobody else has mentioned it - this drink seems "thinner" than standard Dew.

Like, it didn't feel as heavy/syrupy, nor did it feel like it left a sugary coating on my throat. It tasted good and then disappeared.

That was the best part about it, honestly.

#57 pop311   College CAGiversary!   3193 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

If it tastes as different as Coke Light tastes as opposed to Diet Coke, then I'm in on this.

#58 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

I hope they're testing this out to see if people like it, maybe if it sells well they'll keep making it.

#59 xycury   there is only one CAGiversary!   4503 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

Had a bottle of the Mountain Dew over the weekend as I drove up to C-bus. Color me impressed. The flavor was different enough, yet similar. The biggest difference to me, and I may be wrong since I don't drink Dew often and nobody else has mentioned it - this drink seems "thinner" than standard Dew.

Like, it didn't feel as heavy/syrupy, nor did it feel like it left a sugary coating on my throat. It tasted good and then disappeared.

That was the best part about it, honestly.

My thoughts exactly. I want to try a bottled version though, I had a can and felt that drinking it was more to the liking of flavored water, than say heavy syrup soda.

It went down smooth, and didn't have a heavy sweet, just a regular sweet. Like what sugar is!

I am hoping they will release it to other stores, so far only one WM has it... and it makes me sad... out of the way to get there.

I think if they got rid of the brominated oil, Mt Dew would taste better... but that's just an opinion...

#60 Anexanhume   Charge! CAGiversary!   3044 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Anexanhume

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

Let me know if anyone in So Cal spots this. I tried my local Ralph's and got bupkus. I'll look at Target or Albertsons if I know the ones in the area might be stocking it.