PS3 will not read external hard drive...

optimusprime8062

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I need to put some of the data I have on my PS3 onto a differentPS3 (save files etc.) I reformatted my the external hard drive so that I could have a lot of free space etc. Well, now it doesn't work. It turns out, the PS3 can't read this new formatting. I need to change it back to "FAT32." Well, that has proved harder than I thought! One site says to just go into command prompt and type in something and it will do it...but then someone after him said it doesn't work because "the drive is too big." Then, I attempted to go to Western Digitals support site and download an application that will format my harddrive into FAT32, but it doesnt work on Windows Vista. Finally, someone suggested SwissKnife. Which might work if I could get it to install. It says "Setup 100%" and then disappears...for good. Nothing. So, I'm at a loss of what to do? Why is it so hard just to format it into FAT32? Why won't SwissKnife install correctly? I'm going crazy over here...

i use a 500gb western digital drive myself and all i did was plug it in and it worked instantly. did your hd come with a disk ? you may want to see if the wd site has some kind of software you can download to fix the issue.

...As usual...as soon as I post a message for help, I figure it out. Anyways, yeah I downloaded it from there, fatez. Still didnt work. Weird. Anyways, I ended up using a program called Easeus, and it worked! Thanks guys for your help.

glad you got it sorted out... it can be problematic sometimes. now a days these hard drives got a mind of their own.

That's because a lot of them use two portions for the drive so you only get like half the space. I had that problem with my 1TB drive. There's a linux distro that just formats drives. I recommend searching for that if you want to properly format it.

yeah I got a 1 TB harddirve myself that is just sitting there because I haven't formatted it yet. Paco imma send you a pm for help when I get around to formatting it.

I bought a 1tb for this then just reformatted it in NTFS and said forget it. I didnt want the size cap that came with Fat32

[quote name='Snake2715']I bought a 1tb for this then just reformatted it in NTFS and said forget it. I didnt want the size cap that came with Fat32[/quote]

Windows has a FAT size limit on their partitions. Using Linux live cds to format it removes them as the limits for FAT32 partitions was in the TBS range while Windows XP had it at 32 GB I believe.

bread's done
Back