need cheapass business suit that doesnt look like a cheap suit

dracula

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
i am in los angeles, dont really like the idea of going to nordstroms and overpaying, or going to the men's wearhouse or macy's and walk out paying less but not looking a million bucks.

I am looking at amazon, and they have some nice $100 suites, i can either return them if they dont look great on me, or if i like, i can keep them and just spend the 40 dollars to get them tailored.

Is there a way to cheap out, without look like getting a cheap suit?

i second on target clearance. 75% off $60 = $15.00 suit. same pants for $7.
I never thought i need one this soon, but one of my class presentation requires me to wear it, boy did it came handy.

I bought those last year, and I just found another dress coat for $15.00 again. Even tho its not quite the right size, but "what the hey".

[quote name='heberttwo3']These suits are pretty solid. Always a sale too. Depending on how much you want to spend. But there are nice suits for $180ish. They have several B&M locations as well

www.josbank.com[/QUOTE]

yeah thats one of the vendors on amazon. they have a few locations in the los angeles area, i think i will just go to them in the morning

and target clearance, hm, i get plenty of clothes from them, but didnt really think of them for the upscale business clothing, just every day clothes- they are worth a look. And I am pretty sure almost all of the jc penny's stores have gone out of business, maybe there is still one at fox hills mall, i have never been impressed with pennys, tho i did get some nice boxers on sale there couple years ago.

If you buy a cheap suit, people will know you bought a cheap suit. Bite the bullet and dish out a little extra for quality. You may not notice, but others will. Nordstrom's is all little extreme. You could find an excellent quality suit at a fair price at Banana Republic, Express Men or Jos A Bank.

What's the suit for?

After I shelled out a G at men's wearhouse I learned about H & M which has similar stuff for much cheaper. What's nice about Men's Wearhouse is that the employees are all very knowledgeable and can probably teach you something about men's fashion while they help you shop.

The problem with cheap suits is that they typically are made from or have a high polyesther count. That means when you take them to the dry cleaners, they have a tendency to actually melt a little bit and get a glossy sheen in certain areas of the suit. I got burned (pun intended) with a nice looking but cheap suit jacket and it was ruined the first time it was dry cleaned, so if I can give you any advise don't buy cheap, or if you do make sure its not polyesther.

Do NOT buy a suit from Amazon. You live in a well populated area. Do a little legwork and go find one in a store. You have absolutely no idea how something is going to feel or fit when buying from Amazon.

[quote name='shiftomnimega']What's the suit for? [/quote]

ive been doing more background work since i lost my real job, and a lot of the time they want upscale business, i.e. a jacket and pant that have the exact same fabric and color.

I probably should get more neckties as well, i have like 3, and two are brown.

Oddly, i am doing a commercial for EA sports on monday,they want upscale dressed audience people for boxing match and tennis match, the boxing they want people that look like CEO execs, upscale, and the tennis, well they want rich looking tennis fans, that would be going to wimbledon or whatever, upscale casual

it might sound sort of cool, but its audience work, they will probably want me to cheer for 12 hours. better than having to laugh for 12 hours straight.

It could be much worse, ive been on cattle calls(very large call) where we are running around in jacket and pants all day in 90 degree heat chasing some dude in the streets for a nokia commercial.

After I shelled out a G

I really hope you got a fucking lot of clothes for that much money.

at men's wearhouse I learned about H & M which has similar stuff for much cheaper. What's nice about Men's Wearhouse is that the employees are all very knowledgeable and can probably teach you something about men's fashion while they help you shop.

its funny, you are one of the few people I talk to that endorses the men's wearhouse. many people i talk to go all out(one of the high end stores like a banana republic or nordstroms or bloomingdales) or they know how to get good used clothing, they can find super nice deals at crossroads or wasteland. I can find excellent casual wear at crossroads or wasteland but not for upscale business, especially if i need to get it tailored.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Do NOT buy a suit from Amazon. You live in a well populated area. Do a little legwork and go find one in a store. You have absolutely no idea how something is going to feel or fit when buying from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

amazon has great return policy for this specific reason. I see a deal for shoes on amazon, like nice clearance on walking shoes, i will buy a couple pair in different sizes and keep the one that fits good. Getting good cheapass shoes(30 bucks or less) that will last is almost impossible.

But i tend to agree for something like super upscale clothing, its better to go to a B&M, as i may have to get something fitted or hemmed or whatever so it fits like a glove. But my thinking was that if i see a killer deal on amazon that i cant get in B&M i can return if it doesnt fit, or take it to a tailor to get it fitted perfectly(if sleeves or pants are a little too long, just get them hemmed).

i will head over to jos a bank a bit later, hopefully get there when they open, buy some clothes, if i need to get it fitted, then hopefully i can get it done that day.

1. Express for Men: can be pricey, but if you can find one on clearance it would look good.
2. JC Penny's: Look for expensive suits on a good sale. If the original price was cheap, then stay away. It costs me around $12 to get suit pants tailored there.
3. Outlet mall: Here in the mid-west outlet malls spring up like dandelions and they usually have a reasonably priced suit store.

My best advice is to get either an experienced suit-wearing guy or any girl to go with you to tell you what kind of suit to get (did you know that there are different suit styles for different seasons? Me neither). I've seen suits at Target and they have all looked cheap to me.

Good luck,
umcthomas

Burlington Coat factory usually has a 2 for $250 sale, usually its like $160-200 per suit. They have the usual off brands but they always have Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, and Calvin Klein. They usually have some nice Hugo Boss suits but they're more expensive (around $400-500).

Don't get it tailored there, go to a decent quality men's store. Most tailors charge between $10-$12 per cut, so it could cost a little bit, but a cheap suit that fits good is a million times better than a nice suit that doesn't fit you right.

i went to josabank, paid about 300 after alterations, and it looks awesome. its a dark navy/gray business suit, good for many occasions and am very happy with it. i can change the look up by changing the tie or shirt.

I will still look at some of those other stores for more options, so i have a different look, maybe more for nightclubs or maybe something flashier.

on thing i did find really odd: my normal measurements are about 39 inch chest and 32 or 33 inch waist. they had me at 42 chest and 35 inch waist. I was like "wow i am a fatty".

1: Get a suit you can see. Online sounds great, but if you can't see and touch the fabric you can't tell what you are really getting.
2: Getting a cheap suit, and having a tailor fit it to you will make you look FAR better in the long run than buying a more expensive suit off a rack.
3: Men's Warehouse has some kicking deals occasionally on suits + tailoring.

bread's done
Back