Mass Effect $9.90 at gogamer.com

Good price, but ME for PC was possibly the worst PC port I've ever played. The game crashed often, hardware audio was screwed up (sounds would be randomly missing), it was filled with DRM, and the interface for the game sucked compared to the 360 version (and the 360 version wasn't that great to begin with). Just a heads up for anyone thinking of picking it up for PC.

[quote name='ducttapeBigSexy']Good price, but ME for PC was possibly the worst PC port I've ever played. The game crashed often, hardware audio was screwed up (sounds would be randomly missing), it was filled with DRM, and the interface for the game sucked compared to the 360 version (and the 360 version wasn't that great to begin with). Just a heads up for anyone thinking of picking it up for PC.[/quote]

Didn't Bioware fix all those issues in a patch? I'm thinking of picking this up.

The game has been patched multiple times and remedies much of those issues. Theres also no more install limit. The PC version is the best to get right now.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']The game has been patched multiple times and remedies much of those issues. Theres also no more install limit. The PC version is the best to get right now.[/QUOTE]

When was the install limit removed?

[quote name='Greggy_D']When was the install limit removed?[/QUOTE]

It wasn't. EA simply released a deauthorization tool, which allows users to revoke on of their install credits (whereas before, there was no way to regain your install credits). You still have to manage your install credits yourself. It's not automatic.

Now, The Steam version has no SecuROM or install limits whatsoever. It's not on sale, though.

Regardless, the PC version is still superior to the 360 version. Especially if we're talking about the Steam version.

Even though there are still a lot of unresolved issues with the PC version, the price was right enough for me to pick it up anyway and just not play it until the next patch comes out (which they've been promising for ages).

Don't get me started on what a shame it is that Bioware, once a champion of PC gaming, has neglected this perfect example of the frustrations of the platform. E tu, Bioware?

I'm waiting for a sale on the Steam version. I don't like sneaky SecuROM remaining on my computer even if I uninstall the game.

[quote name='zakai']I'm waiting for a sale on the Steam version. I don't like sneaky SecuROM remaining on my computer even if I uninstall the game.[/QUOTE]

Uh, I think you're thinking of StarForce.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh, I think you're thinking of StarForce.[/quote]
No, SecuROM doesn't uninstall when you install the game either. It's not as bad as StarForce, but it's not easy to get rid of.

The game was only crashing on me when I tried running it on a low end machine barely in the minimum requirements. Tried it on a comp with a C2D 2.13Ghz, 4GB RAM, 8800GT and it ran great.

IMO the interface was MUCH improved in the PC version. I have played and beat the game on both 360 and PC and the UI is far more intuitive and easy to use on PC and they clearly tweaked it from the 360 version to be more mouse+keyboard friendly.

You can install the retail version on up to 5 computers and play on all 5 simultaneously, unlike steam. Its not just a good deal on its own but if you had a friend who wanted it also, each chips in about 5 bucks and you've got the game.

[quote name='ducttapeBigSexy']Good price, but ME for PC was possibly the worst PC port I've ever played. The game crashed often, hardware audio was screwed up (sounds would be randomly missing), it was filled with DRM, and the interface for the game sucked compared to the 360 version (and the 360 version wasn't that great to begin with). Just a heads up for anyone thinking of picking it up for PC.[/quote]
My friend and I never really had a problem with ours. Mine crashed at the start but once I updated some video drivers, ran smooth. Either most of it is patched up since you played or something else is buggy.

Great game though, grats to those who bought it for $9. Excellent deal.

Nice deal. I picked it up a couple months ago for $18, but this is a lot better.

I had a couple occassional crashes that are still unresolved according to the long threads on the BioWare forums, but generally the game was very playable on PC. It's no KoToR, but if you like this type of game, it's a definite buy at this price.

(In response to... basically everyone :p)

My friend tried the game, and he didn't run into any issues. idk, I think I'm just cursed or something - I always seem to run into computer problems (and, no, I'm not retarded when it comes to computers - I'm just unlucky!) Here are the issues I personally ran into on a fully patched version of Mass Effect:

1. With hardware audio enabled, sounds would randomly not play. I tried it both on my integrated audio and on my X-Fi Titanium, and I ran into it on both. Funny that it says it works best on X-Fi...

2. Random crashes - I remember for a fact that I got a crash to the desktop due to a missing audio file.

3. Stopped responding to keyboard input - It just randomly stopped responding to my keyboard after exiting the map.

4. Therum was missing almost all textures (making it unplayable). This was supposed to be fixed in 1.1, but I had to install the DLC (which includes the 1.1 patch) to fix it. Apparently 1.1 doesn't mean 1.1...

5. Random freezes - The game liked to randomly freeze for a few seconds at a time. Really annoying.

6. I'm not 100% sure on this, but even on the easiest setting, this game seemed like it was running on the hardest setting. The funny part is, I played it on the normal setting on 360, and it seemed a heck of a lot easier. It almost seemed like the PC version was stuck on the hardest setting or something - I actually used a hex editor to view my saved game file, and, if I recall, changing the difficulity didn't seem to have any affect on the saved game file.

Hey, if the PC version works for you, more power to you - I'm just saying, I personally had nothing but problems with it.

Completely off topic, this is the game that finally made me say "fuck it" to PC gaming (well, this, and multiple other crappy console ports). It's too bad, since I have a really nice PC - it's just not worth the effort anymore. Sure, maybe consoles don't run at 1080p with 16x AA, but the games actually work!

It used to be the other way around. PC games were a smarter buy because they could be patched, whereas if there was a problem with a console game you had to hope for a recall.

Indeed. And now, it seems like more and more console games come out with glitches and such, because developers now know they can fix it later. MLB 2K9, for instance, came with a number of problems. The game, unfortunately, still sucks, but after the patches, it's at least playable...er...kind of...

[quote name='ducttapeBigSexy']Completely off topic, this is the game that finally made me say "fuck it" to PC gaming (well, this, and multiple other crappy console ports). It's too bad, since I have a really nice PC - it's just not worth the effort anymore. Sure, maybe consoles don't run at 1080p with 16x AA, but the games actually work![/quote]

I feel your pain. . .I haven't gotten to this point yet of giving up on PC gaming but I see your point--in your case you can look at reviews and check here and see if the port is crappy, but then you still run into your "luck" issues with your particular rig. . .I personally have 2-4 PCs I can run games on so if I do run into an issue on one rig I can at least test on another easily. Plus if the things we are reading about console cycles are correct there's a chance PC games are going to have a nice jump on console games in the next couple years--plus you miss out on PC exclusive hardware, setups, etc like multimonitor, 3D, etc.

Fracking out of stock!!
And I've been waiting on a sale for Mass Effect FOREVER, since it's a double dip for me.

C'mon GO GAMER.. don't tease us.

[quote name='mm07']Fracking out of stock!!
And I've been waiting on a sale for Mass Effect FOREVER, since it's a double dip for me.

C'mon GO GAMER.. don't tease us.[/quote]

You had two whole days to see this.

bread's done
Back