Game collectors!

schultz1981

CAGiversary!
Hey, I am new here and have recently begun collecting some of the older games I grew up with, er am still growing up with! I thought maybe I could start a discussion about some of everyone's favorite games to collect or systems to collect for! If you just want to brag then lets hear what you have to say! I was also thinking about compiling a list of very hard to find games, so if anyone knows about any of these and would like to share, do so!

Hard to find systems as well! Whats the hardest to find Gamecube system, or PSone, or Nintendo 64.

Is an Atari 2600 still worth anything?

How many "long box" PS1 games are worth collecting?

Im looking for the knowledge that I know some of you out there have!!

By my experience, PS1 game are the hardest to come by 'in the wild', since so many people still have a system that plays them. Genesis is the easiest to find games for- that's just 'in general' though- it doesn't account for finding any GOOD games.

I don't have a favorite system, just a favorite genre- I look mostly for RPGs. Actually, the hardest thing for me to shop for is cases... I'm sure I'm not the only one who's opted for a disc-only title just to get a desired game, then not been able to get a case to go with it.

My shining jewel to hunt for at the moment is the case/ paper case insert for Suikoden 2. I've been looking for a few years, and I kinda doubt I'll be finding it anytime soon. (If anyone finds one, let me know, k?)

Congradulations on starting your journey of being a retro game collector. It is a hard journey which leads many into a life of eating ramen noodles to support this nasty habit.

Here are some titles you are looking for:

n64:

Ogre Battle 64
Clayfighter 63 1/3 : Sculptor's Cut
Worms Armageddon
Harvest Moon

ps1:
Suikoden II
Tactics Ogre
Valkyrie Profile
Persona
Final Fantasy VII (Black Label)
Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
Ogre Battle Limited Edition
Tales of Destiny II
Lunar 2

GC:
Pikmin 2
Ikaruga
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
Skies of Arcadia Legends

Ugh, I've been trying to find a CIB Clayfighter 63 1/3: Sculptor's cut for way to long!!!! I'm in talks for the game and box right now but I'll never find a manual for it. My favorite system is the N64 mainly because it's what I grew up with and it's also the system I'm trying to complete ATM. I've knocked out Orge Battle and Worms Armageddon but Clayfighter going to haunt me for some time.

[quote name='schultz1981']

Hard to find systems as well! Whats the hardest to find Gamecube system, or PSone, or Nintendo 64.

Hard to find systems are...

-Bandai Pippin
-A working Milton Bradley Microvision (good luck, as I think by this point every machine manufactured should either be dead or close to dead though bad manufacturing)
-Adventurevision is one of the most highly collectible game machines. http://www.adventurevision.com/

It never has been. I would never pay more then $5 for one. 98% of the games are worth a penny or less. It's to the point where I buy Atari games by the lot, maybe 100 or more games, just to get one game I don't have in my collection. I then give the rest away or blow them up on the 4th of July. Over 100 Pac-Mans, 100 Space Invaders, 200 Combats, and various other games detonated since 2002, nearly 10,000 games total. Just doing my part to thin out the numbers.

As many as are rare, I guess. I just guess it's up to what type of collector you want to be. You can be a completist, aims to get every game for specific systems, a collector of a certain types of games or brands of games, etc. I would suggest using the digital press online guide here... [/QUOTE]

Hope I was helpful. As a warning, there is a guy here named chronodev who plugs his online collecting 'price guide'. Whatever you do, do not use it. It is horribly inaccurate. The guy is a complete fraud who just makes up shit. No hard facts, just numbers that he thinks sounds good.

I was reading a pick up blog here and there is a convention in PA( i dont know what ST you live in) but it is apparently a haven for retro collectors. I am trying to rebuild my NES collection and there was a ton of stuff there. The OP told me they were having another one in may. If you happen yo live in PA check out Too Many Games convention.

[quote name='schultz1981']Hey, I am new here and have recently begun collecting some of the older games I grew up with, er am still growing up with! I thought maybe I could start a discussion about some of everyone's favorite games to collect or systems to collect for! If you just want to brag then lets hear what you have to say! I was also thinking about compiling a list of very hard to find games, so if anyone knows about any of these and would like to share, do so!

Im looking for the knowledge that I know some of you out there have!![/QUOTE]

I also grew up on the Atari 2600, and on the Commodore 64. The Atari is very fun system and I still play some of my favorite games on there once in a while. The Atari 2600 games are amongst my favorite to collect, though I collect games from many systems.

The Atari 2600 system itself is pretty common; I see it all the time in flea markets,craigslist, ebay and such. Not worth that much, unless perhaps you get it complete or new in the box. There are many common games which you see all the time, but theres also many rare ones that worth treasure hunting!

[quote name='schultz1981']Hey, I am new here and have recently begun collecting some of the older games I grew up with, er am still growing up with! I thought maybe I could start a discussion about some of everyone's favorite games to collect or systems to collect for! If you just want to brag then lets hear what you have to say! I was also thinking about compiling a list of very hard to find games, so if anyone knows about any of these and would like to share, do so!

Panasonic Game Cube

Atari 2600 isn't pretty much worth anything but the games are though. For example, Atlantis 2 (1000 dollars) and Air Raid (3500 dollars) are worth a pretty penny

They are more for show than anything else but you will find out long box games double in price sometimes.

Im looking for the knowledge that I know some of you out there have!![/QUOTE]

Panasonic Game Cube

Atlantis 2 (1000 dollars) and Air Raid (3500 dollars) are worth a pretty penny

They are more for show than anything else but you will find out long box games double in price sometimes.

[quote name='dan13l858']Hard to find systems as well! Whats the hardest to find

Atlantis 2 (1000 dollars) and Air Raid (3500 dollars) are worth a pretty penny

[/QUOTE]

Those are indeed very rare games.

Some additional very rare Atari 2600 games that come to mind include Lochjaw, Video Life, Quadrun, Chase the Chuckwagon

[quote name='integralsmatic']I was reading a pick up blog here and there is a convention in PA( i dont know what ST you live in) but it is apparently a haven for retro collectors. I am trying to rebuild my NES collection and there was a ton of stuff there. The OP told me they were having another one in may. If you happen yo live in PA check out Too Many Games convention.[/QUOTE]

On a similar note for folks on the side side of the country, there's a group called the Northwest Classic Gaming Enthusiasts that holds events from time to time in Seattle/Portland. They're pretty small and don't advertise very well (for example, their main blog hasn't been updated since last August, despite the fact that are holding events this year too.)

It's something to visit if you can track 'em down, though, some decent stuff gets brought in.

Yeah Thanks for responding everyone! I'm starting small I guess! lol I got a mint resident evil in that long box... Right now I am trying to gather the games I liked the most first and then move one to collecting the rarer titles, I want to know what Im looking at so along the way I dont miss out on something!
I got all of the Crash bandicoot games at once lol which was exciting to me. I guess I really dont have anything special yet!
Keep posting, Ive already learned quite a bit! To be honest I didnt ever realize there was a community of collectors so readily available!
I got something called SkullMonkeys.... disc only in mint condition. What in the hell is this game? I saw it sells for around 20 or 30 but why?

What are some of you guys most treasured find ever!?!

If you're wanting to start collecting/playing older games and systems, I'd suggest joining racketboy.com. It's a good site dedicated to older games, it has a great community, and racketboy's put together a bunch of guides like the rarest/most valuable, best, and cheapest games for various systems.

[quote name='schultz1981']Yeah Thanks for responding everyone! I'm starting small I guess! lol I got a mint resident evil in that long box... Right now I am trying to gather the games I liked the most first and then move one to collecting the rarer titles, I want to know what Im looking at so along the way I dont miss out on something!
I got all of the Crash bandicoot games at once lol which was exciting to me. I guess I really dont have anything special yet!
Keep posting, Ive already learned quite a bit! To be honest I didnt ever realize there was a community of collectors so readily available!
I got something called SkullMonkeys.... disc only in mint condition. What in the hell is this game? I saw it sells for around 20 or 30 but why?

What are some of you guys most treasured find ever!?![/quote]

hmmm some of my most treasured
Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2- Eternal Blue(still have the pendant,little standee cards,map,music,demoetc)
Suikoden I,II
RE II Black Label Sealed(one with the movie contest entry form)
Silent Hill 1 GH Sealed
Final Fantasy 7 Black Label
Chrono Cross Black Label
Secret of Mana
Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen Complete
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones(not sure about this one)
Mana Khemia SE W/LM figure(limited to 1000) i think most sold here)
Xenogears Black Label
Vagrant Story
Legend of Dragoon-Non GH
Grandia
Thousand Arms
Poy Poy- Disc Only :(
Sealed MGS 1
Project Justice
Tech Romancer
Marvel vs Capcom II DC
Thats the ones i can remember. i am not at home so i cant look at my collection. but most if not all these games i never knew would be rare or short printed. Some I bought off a whim, some i found at a great deal i couldnt pass up(Ogre Battle for 10 bucks). RE II and MGS Sealed for 2 bucks and picked up the RE II GH for 2 bucks also. got them when BB was clearancing out their games. Some CAGs got Symphony of the Night sealed for 2 bucks. That was a real steal.

my cousin has some crazy rarities like gaurdian heroes,radiant silvergun, and Dragon Force for the Saturn. he also has the .hack GU LM with the figure. Thats what i remember from him but ooooh would i love thouse first 3.

[quote name='schultz1981']I got something called SkullMonkeys.... disc only in mint condition. What in the hell is this game? I saw it sells for around 20 or 30 but why? [/quote]

Skullmonkeys is a 3 on the digitpress rarity guide. By those standards, it shouldn't be too hard to find, although it took me a couple years of searching (outside of ebay) to find it. I got it complete around Easter for $20.

The game is a fantastic sidescroller. Very difficult with the Neverhood's classic sense of humor. It's also claymation!

[quote name='schultz1981']Yeah Thanks for responding everyone! I'm starting small I guess! lol I got a mint resident evil in that long box... Right now I am trying to gather the games I liked the most first and then move one to collecting the rarer titles, I want to know what Im looking at so along the way I dont miss out on something!

What are some of you guys most treasured find ever!?![/QUOTE]

I would have to say, the entire square soft and enix snes catalog. There are too many games to mention but the most notable were:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 2
Secret of Mana
Super Mario RPG (Nintendo/squaresoft title)
and many others.

They were all CIB in perfect condition. The only thing i had to give up was a copy of Final Fantasy x-2 and 10 dollars. Talk about great score.

Second biggest score was
Shining Force 3
DragonForce
CIB.

It was free. The store i worked at was zeroing out all the saturn stuff those were a couple of games i kept behind the counter.

[quote name='dan13l858']I would have to say, the entire square soft and enix snes catalog. There are too many games to mention but the most notable were:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 2
Secret of Mana
Super Mario RPG (Nintendo/squaresoft title)
and many others.

They were all CIB in perfect condition. The only thing i had to give up was a copy of Final Fantasy x-2 and 10 dollars. Talk about great score.
[/quote]

:shock: I'm trying to picture the human being who would have the wherewithal to keep those games CIB in perfect condition and yet would trade them for a common PS2 RPG and ten dollars.

[quote name='bvharris']:shock: I'm trying to picture the human being who would have the wherewithal to keep those games CIB in perfect condition and yet would trade them for a common PS2 RPG and ten dollars.[/QUOTE]

I was stunned too. This is when X-2 first came out so it was a while back but being a former video game store employee i knew i couldn't pass up this opportunity. I miss working at a video game store that's were you find the best vintage stuff and was the cause of my obsession of collecting.

[quote name='dan13l858']I was stunned too. This is when X-2 first came out so it was a while back but being a former video game store employee i knew i couldn't pass up this opportunity. I miss working at a video game store that's were you find the best vintage stuff and was the cause of my obsession of collecting.[/quote]

Still, even at the retail value of X-2 first came out, it would be worth a fraction of the CIB value of those games (just the ones you listed).

My favorite part is where I picture the guy going "Well, I guess I'll make the trade... but throw in ten bucks." I would have ripped the ten getting it out of my wallet so fast, and also thrown in bus fare back to the nuthouse.

Actually, i offer the 10 dollars so he didn't second guess the trade. First rule of video game trading/dealing, present an instant offer before the guy has time to think it over.

I love fighting games. Some of my most treasured:

Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves -- Dreamcast
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure -- DC
Last Blade 2 -- DC
Marvel vs Capcom 2 -- DC
Project Justice -- DC
Street Fighter III Double Impact -- DC
Street Fighter III Third Strike -- DC
Green Goblin Arcade Stick -- DC

Grey Japanese Sega Saturn Console w/ extra controller
Asuka 120% Burning Fest. Limited -- Saturn
KOF '95 w/ 1MB RAM Cart -- Saturn
Street Fighter Collection -- Saturn
X-Men vs Street Fighter w/ 4MB RAM cartridge -- Saturn
Vampire Saviour -- Saturn
Waku Waku 7 -- Saturn

King of Fighters '94 Re-Bout -- PS2

Battle Fantasia -- 360

Right now i only collect NES, SNES, sega genesis, ps1 and ps2 stuff. Everything else is just to hard to find but never know what you'll find in your travels.

One thing you NEED to have is patience, patience, patience. Don't expect to find every rare game out there in a day. As the years pass this stuff will only get harder and harder and harder to find, so just have some faith and keep at it.

Nice list, i have Waku Waku 7 for the Neo Geo. Pretty crazy game.

[quote name='depascal22']I love fighting games. Some of my most treasured:

Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves -- Dreamcast
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure -- DC
Last Blade 2 -- DC
Marvel vs Capcom 2 -- DC
Project Justice -- DC
Street Fighter III Double Impact -- DC
Street Fighter III Third Strike -- DC
Green Goblin Arcade Stick -- DC

Grey Japanese Sega Saturn Console w/ extra controller
Asuka 120% Burning Fest. Limited -- Saturn
KOF '95 w/ 1MB RAM Cart -- Saturn
Street Fighter Collection -- Saturn
X-Men vs Street Fighter w/ 4MB RAM cartridge -- Saturn
Vampire Saviour -- Saturn
Waku Waku 7 -- Saturn

King of Fighters '94 Re-Bout -- PS2

Battle Fantasia -- 360[/QUOTE]

I've been looking on craigslist for boxed games and consoles from everything PS2/GC/Xbox and earlier. (For those 3 systems I've only been getting my hands on exclusives).

Just got a job today actually and will probably pursue this more over the summer. Hope to have a nice collection in the near future.

[quote name='dan13l858']Nice list, i have Waku Waku 7 for the Neo Geo. Pretty crazy game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, dude. I'd like find a Neo Geo one of these days but it's just too damn expensive right now. What else do you have?

All games listed below have the boxes and instructions included.

US Neo Geo AES
Ninja Combat
King of Monsters 2
Art of Fighting 2
Fatal Fury (2x)
Fatal Fury 2 (2x)
Fatal Fury Special
King of Fighters 94
World Heroes
World Heroes 2
World Heroes Jet
Samurai Showdown (2x)
Samurai Showdown 2
Super Sidekicks 2
Karnov's Revenge

JPN Neo Geo Aes
King of Fighters 97
King of Fighters 94
World Heroes
Waku Waku 7

I know i probably missing a couple more. I can't remember lol

Some of my rarer/more valuable gems off the top of my head. All are mint/complete:
Valkyrie Profile PSone
Suikoden II PSone
Paper Mario N64 sealed ($5 at TRU clearance)
Both Discworld games PSone (Discworld 1 in long box)
Sin & Punishment N64 (Japanese import, was $25)
The Space Adventure Sega CD
Arc the Lad Collection PSone new (TRU clearance)
Mega Man X2 SNES
Basically every Squaresoft RPG for PSone non-GH (except FF Tactics, which is GH)

Disk only:
Keio Flying Squadron Sega CD ($3 at used game shop)
Kameo Xbox playable build (that's REGULAR Xbox, not 360)

Best boost to my collection was my 2 only craigslist scores.
$50 got me a boxed old school Playstation with Ridge Racer 4, Gran Turismo 1+2, Final Fantasy VII + VIII all black labeled.

But my best was my $200 Sega Saturn bundle.
The Saturn w/ 8MB card and normal controller +
Nights w/ 3D controller, D, Battle arena toshinden remix, Night warriors, Fighters Megamix, die hard arcade, Shining Force 3, Guardian heroes, Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I also found a dog bone NES controller but the Top Loading Nintendo was nowhere to be found. :(

Also have Persona 1-4 and R.O.B.

Kameo Xbox playable build (that's REGULAR Xbox, not 360)
that sounds like an interesting addition to the ol' collection.. how did you come across that?

As for me.. I'm a very flip-floppy collector. I'll start reminiscing on games I used to play or hear about a cult classic and such on CAG here and get into a collecting frenzy. Problem is two weeks later I realize that I can hardly keep up with my CURRENT crop of games as it is, much less a whole rack of older games... not to mention I have no friends who are interested in gaming thus I have no one to show my collection off to so I just end up selling it all. I'd like to think my collecting impulses have ceased lately, but I did end up with the entire SMT PS2 library a couple weeks ago which I'll probably never play so hopefully once I get rid of this I can keep it under control for good.

As far as noteworthy additions to my "collection", the only real great score I've had is my oft-bragged about Neo Geo AES score where I got $1500 worth of stuff for $300.

The other day, I stopped into my favorite used-game emporium, and found a copy of Mike Tyson's Punch Out. That's right, not just "Punch-Out." Punch Out with Iron Mike still in. $10.00, I was very pleased.

Other recent additions to my collection...

Strider (NES)
IronSword (NES)

[quote name='eastshore4']that sounds like an interesting addition to the ol' collection.. how did you come across that?[/QUOTE]
I was a game journalist. Got it from Microsoft when I went to their PR offices a good 4 years ago or so.
I kept a lot of preview/review discs over my career, but that's definitely the diamond in the rough.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I was a game journalist. Got it from Microsoft when I went to their PR offices a good 4 years ago or so.
I kept a lot of preview/review discs over my career, but that's definitely the diamond in the rough.[/QUOTE]

You wrote for Game Informer back in the day, right? Always did like your reviews.

I definitely think Genesis is the easiest to find, at least where I live. Oddly enough, I grew up like 50 miles from here and finding Genesis games was fairly rare (then again, finding most games were as well, outside of a few crappy Nintendo and Atari titles, but that was the area in general. People wanted $2000 for a car that blue booked for $500)

I got a Genesis around 3 years ago. In that time I've amassed 60 or so Genesis titles, none for more than $5 and most for $1 or less. I'll admit, some of the titles are crappy (then again I passed on a bunch of those as well), but I got some good finds like Streets of Rage 3, Sonic through Sonic & Knuckles, and recently hit a yardsale goldmine with Phantasy Star II through IV as well as some others.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']You wrote for Game Informer back in the day, right? Always did like your reviews.[/QUOTE]
Aye, that I did. Thanks.

[quote name='pyoobez']I got a Genesis around 3 years ago. In that time I've amassed 60 or so Genesis titles, none for more than $5 and most for $1 or less. I'll admit, some of the titles are crappy (then again I passed on a bunch of those as well), but I got some good finds like Streets of Rage 3, Sonic through Sonic & Knuckles, and recently hit a yardsale goldmine with Phantasy Star II through IV as well as some others.[/QUOTE]
I got 40+ Genesis games for around $30 a few months ago -- including all those you mentioned. It's called Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for 360. ;)

[quote name='ViolentLee']Aye, that I did. Thanks.

I got 40+ Genesis games for around $30 a few months ago -- including all those you mentioned. It's called Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for 360. ;)[/QUOTE]

Burn!!!

I thought I was gonna score Lunar 1 and 2 complete today on craigslist.
The kid has a lot of games on there for sale but those to stuck out.
I offered $50 for both but he said he can get $50 - $100 each on ebay.
My hunt for them two gems continue.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I thought I was gonna score Lunar 1 and 2 complete today on craigslist.
My hunt for them two gems continue.[/QUOTE]

That would have been a nice score, I got my Lunar 1 form a used game store for $8, definitely one of my better deals.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I thought I was gonna score Lunar 1 and 2 complete today on craigslist.
When I was working at a Funcoland, some dude came in with a Sega CD after we stopped taking them. I forget what happened, but I offered him a pittance for his games on the down-low. I got mint copies of Lunar 1, 2, Popful Mail, and Vay.
Unfortunately, a year or two later I had to sell them due to financial troubles. The Lunars I got on PSone later, Vay wasn't that great, and I still poke around eBay for a good deal on Popful Mail.

Yeah, I think he caught on to the lowball offer. I assume if he can use craigslist, he would probably use eBay for his pricing.

[quote name='ViolentLee']When I was working at a Funcoland, some dude came in with a Sega CD after we stopped taking them. I forget what happened, but I offered him a pittance for his games on the down-low. I got mint copies of Lunar 1, 2, Popful Mail, and Vay.
Unfortunately, a year or two later I had to sell them due to financial troubles. The Lunars I got on PSone later, Vay wasn't that great, and I still poke around eBay for a good deal on Popful Mail.[/QUOTE]
:hot:
Wow, it sucks you had to get rid of them. I could never imagine giving up my rare rpg games. You can always get a hundred dollars but rare games don't come up to often unless you visit auction sites.

[quote name='dan13l858']:hot:
Wow, it sucks you had to get rid of them. I could never imagine giving up my rare rpg games. You can always get a hundred dollars but rare games don't come up to often unless you visit auction sites.[/QUOTE]

The really rare games are always good for cash when you really need them though. It sucks but it's better than being evicted or getting your lights shut off.

Found a pawn shop today that has lots of NES and SNES games.
Way to over priced though. $29.95 for Mario Golf on 64! Most NES games were $9.95. Some were at $19.95, same as most SNES.
I hate that store, not that they had anything good.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']
Way to over priced though. $29.95 for Mario Golf on 64! Most NES games were $9.95. Some were at $19.95, same as most SNES.[/QUOTE]

Crap man, that is overpriced. Especially considering the demand for N64 games isn't nearly as high as most NES and SNES titles. I can understand why some dealers might get confused, N64 games' original retail prices were always inflated. And the supply for them is generally lower. (since the N64 wasn't as successful as its predecessors) But that is still just a tad out of proportion.

The place I usually buy at will occasionally have higher prices for NES or SNES titles. But it is always because they are rare or highly demanded titles. They were charging close to $40 for a used copy of Dragon Warrior 3. But then, Dragon Warrior 3 is a very hard to come by game for the NES, in a well-known and popular franchise. Charging upwards of $20 for your average NES, SNES, or Genesis titles is ridiculous.

I sent an offer today to someone on craigslist for Breath of Fire 1+2 and some game called Earthbound for $50. I expect nothing but laughter in response if I even get one but you never know. Would be my best score ever.
I have such terrible luck with finding great deals.

I know it's ridiculously low. He can counter a little bit higher if he wants. I'd rather him do that then ignore me. I always hope to find some old lady selling there kids old crap and taking whatever for it. That's never really the case on craigslist though. I need to get out to more flea markets. Florida is full of old people having yard sales.

bread's done
Back