Critter Crunch - PSN Puzzle Game - Out Now - $6.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/05/12/critter-crunch-playstation-network/

Hello, new best friends!

This is Kris. I’m the creative director at Capy, which means I’m by-far the coolest guy at the studio. And Capy is pretty cool, so that’s not just talk. Anyway, who is Capy, right? Well, Capy is an indie studio from the sometimes frozen, other times disgustingly humid Canadian wonderland known as Toronto.

Trailer link: http://vimeo.com/4613180

So, um, check this trailer…but only if you’re down with technicolor barf!

Boing! That was me announcing Critter Crunch for PlayStation Network!

Everyone at Capy has been working super-hard creating this crazy little arcade-puzzler (and filling it with humongous doses of love) so we’re very excited to finally announce its existence. Critter Crunch is fueled by an original and award-winning “food chain” puzzle mechanic, which is all about feeding critters into each other until they burst. It’s exactly as cute as it is horrible and sad, just like nature itself!

The game features a bunch of single player modes like adventure & puzzle, as well as online and local multiplayer in versus & co-op flavors, with a plethora of fancy trophies to collect. It also has lots of really pretty 1080p art that should make your HDTV happy.

I hope you like it!

If you have any questions, fire away in the comments below and I’ll do my best to answer them…and check back for more PlayStation.Blog updates soon!
From the comments:

The price will not be higher than $10.
There will be a demo.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/05/playstation-eye-chat-critter-crunch-for-psn/

There is a good PS Eye interview with the developers of Critter Crunch, which they say is coming as soon as humanly possible. I'm hoping that means by the end of the month.[/QUOTE]

I finally understand the gameplay mechanics after watching the video. Very interesting and I'm looking forward to the demo! Haven't played a really good puzzle game for quite a long time.

And $10 for robust single player experience with local and online competitive and some co-op? That's an absolute bargain!

It's a fun game if anyone is on the fence still. And I believe I was playing a few versus matches again you ecofreak. After we finished I started playing another guy and won three or four straight.

[quote name='happy']It's a fun game if anyone is on the fence still. And I believe I was playing a few versus matches again you ecofreak. After we finished I started playing another guy and won three or four straight.[/QUOTE]

ZOMG -- it's a small world! Yep, we definitely played several rounds. I was going to post my reactions, but you beat me to the post. ;-)

Great game w/ lots of charm. An absolute steal for $6.99 -- lots of game modes, FANTASTIC art design, and great for casual/hardcore gamers alike.

This game is super fun. Although I got say its weird to consider a father vomiting a rainbow into his son's mouth as cute, yet it is.

wow, this game is great. It also highlights just what a boon the PSN (and XBLA) have been to gamers. In the 16 bit era this would definitely have been a full priced game and now we only pay $7 for it.

I hope they make more of these kinds of games and retro-like games in HD (i.e., Digger HD, Shatter, etc.). I really enjoy them, but would like to see newer remakes of other classic games. I wish they would have done Mr. Do! HD instead of Digger HD :(

I'm going to get this game today though for PS3, I got the demo on iPod Touch and my wife and I both love it.

I also have some credit at Amazon and was hoping to buy this on the new Amazon PSN store, but it's not listed :(

Based on the Adventure Leaderboards, there are ~7,000 unique scores (I think). Not too bad for a game with no real advertisement effort nor established brand.

I sincerely hope this game does well given how polished everything is in this title -- art design, music, game mechanics, gameplay models. Everything screams A+ effort.

Got the game, yeah, it's really good. Love the graphics, art style, and everything about it. My wife hasn't ever touched the PS3 (except for Blu-rays) and she's been playing this game for hours now.

Been showing off the game to my family and my mother-in-law, who loves puzzles games, is really excited to try it out! A great game!

agree.. great game for the price..was playing for hrs last night some of those challeges get pretty hard.. i had trouble with the No Food Chain one ..came so close..hehe fun thou..my girl will love it if i can stop her from playing uno

[quote name='KNIVES']agree.. great game for the price..was playing for hrs last night some of those challeges get pretty hard.. i had trouble with the No Food Chain one ..came so close..hehe fun thou..my girl will love it if i can stop her from playing uno[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no food chain challenge was a pain in the ass... I think I got it around the 6th or 7th try.

Just beat the Adventure mode and that nature guy is one creepy dude.

It definitely gets a lot harder near the end, as far as the normal levels are concerned. I hate when the bubble is added which lets critters switch between the three types randomly and is more of an annoyance than anything challenging. All of the others were pretty cool and not that much of an issue with the different power-ups you earn along the way.

I tried out the online and it's lightning fast, as it took maybe a second for an opponent to show up for a quick match and that's much faster than any online game I ever recall being.

[quote name='brighenne']This game is too good for $7. GenDV and I had some good matches earlier.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, fun game, well worth the $7. Pretty fun playing with you online even though I wasn't familiar with a few things, hadn't gotten through all the adventure mode tutorials yet.

I'm starting to find it irritating that the game doesn't let you go as fast as you can input moves, especially after you pop a string. Also that once you pop a string, if the line drops to the bottom before it's gone you still lose.

In any case, it's weird to see someone with a hardcore avatar on CAG, haha.

Couldn't resist this game any longer, so I had to pick it up. The price is very fair; $10 would have kept me away. I was expecting this to be like Baku Baku, but it's actually very similar to AstroPop, only with critters...and barf. Love the colors and the art (everything pops in 1080p), and looking forward to playing more.

Please buy Critter Crunch -- sales aren't doing too well, unfortunately. :whistle2:( :whistle2:( :whistle2:(

From Destructoid.com

I don't know what it's going to take to get this through to you: If you own a PlayStation 3 and enjoy games, you should go log into the PlayStation Store and buy Capybara Games Critter Crunch.

"At only $6.99, Critter Crunch may very well be one of the best values in puzzle gaming you'll find this year," I wrote in my review, before I slapped a 9.5 and a Destructoid "Editor's Choice" badge on it.

Seven dollars. That's a dollar a day for a week. Less than a cup of coffee, and other things Sally Struthers used to say about helping starving children. But according to a Capybara developer posting on NeoGAF, the game isn't doing so well.

"Not selling so hot," user Cromulent_Word wrote. "Very sad over here too. Hopefully the demo will help, but what can you do -- we made the best game we could for the best price we could, but in the end it's the gamers that define your level of sales success."

This is sad news, considering it's easily one of the best puzzle games on PSN... and it's only seven freakin' dollars, guys. If you're on the fence about it (and you shouldn't be, seriously), there will be a demo hitting PSN next week.

Did you buy Critter Crunch, and if not, why the hell not?

The demo makes me want to buy the game. I hope we can get a psp version for a little cheaper, that would be sweet.

[quote name='Neo-Nut']The demo makes me want to buy the game. I hope we can get a psp version for a little cheaper, that would be sweet.[/QUOTE]

For a game with as many features and great graphics, I find it very hard to complain about a $6.99 price tag.

[quote name='Ecofreak']For a game with as many features and great graphics, I find it very hard to complain about a $6.99 price tag.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't complaining about the price. I would just assume that an hd version at 6.99 and a cheap i phone version would put a psp version's price somewhere in the middle if they did make one. I mean why would they charge that price or more on a version that isn't as good as the one in hd?

[quote name='Neo-Nut']I mean why would they charge that price or more on a version that isn't as good as the one in hd?[/QUOTE]

A fair point -- although I'm not sure how if the developer's sales would increase all that much if the price was dropped $1-2.

I think people are too scared to buy it because they don't wanna get whooped online by me. That's right, I said. Go buy the game now and prove me wrong, noobs. :D

Downloaded the demo and got hooked (instant buy). Support these good games at these prices, instead of some of the overpriced junk they have on the PSN.

[quote name='dragonjud']Downloaded the demo and got hooked (instant buy). Support these good games at these prices, instead of some of the overpriced junk they have on the PSN.[/QUOTE]

Same, love this game. The puzzle mode is pretty tough as well. And at a price like that you really can't go wrong.

Plan on buying it soon, future dlc would be nice too, just wishful thinking.

I finally got the game and its really, really, really good. The game is so much fun, definitely worth $7. Heck, this is even worth $10+. Everyone, buy Critter Crunch NOW!!! This game is so great. IMO, possibly the best game I downloaded on PSN for PS3 in 2009.

[quote name='smiggity']Its good but lost its luster for me around the 6th world[/QUOTE]
Same for me. I was in love with it until I got to about the 7th world and it just got a bit to repetitive. I still don't regret my purchase though as I'm sure I'll go back to it eventually.

Saw this on Slickdeals, for $3.72 (damn NY taxes) it's DEFINITELY worth it. I can see how it will get repetitive, but for less than $4, it's something I see myself playing for 30 minutes to an hour at a time.

The game is a lot of fun. Played a little bit of multiplayer and got my ass kicked. I had no idea what was going on, what half the stuff did, or why I even lost, but it was fun. I guess I just have to get some skillz.

I got this the other day through Amazon (though the PSN sale makes it the same price). Fun little puzzler and FANTASTIC graphics. I could watch this animation all day. Actually, if someone could make me an animated gif or something of Biggie (or Smalls) I would be eternally entertained!

bread's done
Back