Lunar The Silver Star Remake Coming To PSP

Mid Boss

CAGiversary!
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174199

Rejoice, fans of Game Arts's long-dormant Lunar RPG series (no, Dragon Song doesn't count): A full, grounds-up remake of the original Lunar the Silver Star is heading to PSP this fall... in Japan, at least.
Revealed via early release of this week's Famitsu magazine, "LUNAR: Harmony of Silver Star" for PSP aims to keep the feel of the 1992 Sega CD original and 1996 Saturn/PSone remakes, but completely revamps the graphics and interface to bring them in line with 21st century standards. The view is now isometric, with lush hand-drawn backgrounds and characters. Publisher Gungho promises new events, remastered music, and an expanded backstory.
Best of all, perhaps, the PSP Lunar remake isn't outsourced: Famitsu identifies the developer as Game Arts themselves. Expect a trailer and screenshots when the official site, to be located at http://www.gunghoworks.jp/game/lunar/, goes live this Friday.

Hopefully this gets picked up for a US release. I'd prefer a Lunar 3, but this will have to do for now. Been too long since I've played the original anyway.

I was just about to start a thread about this.
I've never been more happy for a third remake. I'm so glad I have a PSP. I'll buy two copies.

I was so afraid the DS game killed the series. Though now, honeslt,y I'm slightly worried that mediocre sales of a remake no one asked for for an under-supported system might.

Day One purchase for me!

Now, let's keep all of the "great ideas" from anyone who worked on Dragon Song far the hell away from this game.

Hell yes! Lunar is like one of the best rpgs of all time.

I am cautiously optimistic about this thought consdering how badly Dragon Song went.

I approve as well. I remember really loving Lunar: SSSC and I'm loving having all old RPGs in a handheld format.

This will prevent me from finally playing Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete though. I bought the game a year ago to play someday and I even got my PSP to play PS1 games recently but if a remake is possible, I'll wait for that.

Wow. It's strange that an RPG as relatively obscure as Lunar could somehow sustain itself through three separate remakes. A unique achievement, I'd say.

Nifty news, though.

[quote name='Hostile']I approve as well. I remember really loving Lunar: SSSC and I'm loving having all old RPGs in a handheld format.

This will prevent me from finally playing Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete though. I bought the game a year ago to play someday and I even got my PSP to play PS1 games recently but if a remake is possible, I'll wait for that.[/QUOTE]

I don't think any remake will have the Working Design localization

[quote name='62t']I don't think any remake will have the Working Design localization[/QUOTE]

Indeed, this time around I'd imagine that one of the usual four (Atlus, NIS America, Xseed, Ignition) would pick it up and re-localize it.

If it was part 2 I would be all over this. I never got a copy of Eternal Blue for the PS1, and I already own the first and Legends for GBA. Hrm.

if this comes out this summer/fall in japan , why would it even stand a chance for it to come over here *at least in UMD* fourm....

I doubt there will even be PSP 1 games made summer 2010 if the Rumor of the PSP2 hits this fall

This is a definite purchase for me, even though I still have the complete versions of both Lunars on PS1. Some very fond memories of these titles, and I'd love to play them on the go (though I suppose I already could if I linked my PS3 to PSP :) )

Sah-weet! Still haven't played through the PS1 version (although I'm technically next on the list at Goozex). I'd love it if it was brought state-side!

[quote name='Cao Cao']I changed the URL of the last set of scans posted to a direct image link, hopefully that won't force anyone to go through imagevenue's ad gateway. Luckily, True-Gaming has posted some higher quality versions of the scans at their site:
http://www.true-gaming.net/tgupload/images2/0905132014723fe51d0fb50356.jpg
http://www.true-gaming.net/tgupload/images2/0905132014afefa1ae04793a17.jpg[/QUOTE]

The graphics certainly look nice. I found the visuals charming even on the PS1, but I definitely look forward to the upgrades (somewhat similar to the PSP remakes of the first two Star Oceans).

I'm definitely tempted to bust out Lunar tonight and give it another go.

I'll be interested to see if the isometric view messes with me as much as I think it will. It seems a very odd choice in this day and age.

I also hope they do quality voice acting or at least give me the option of Japanese audio and subtitles, if they release it stateside. I probably didn't think it was horrible when I was younger but I heard the voice acting a year or so back and it was indeed terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vinny']Holy... shat...

I hope this comes stateside.[/QUOTE]

I think it will. All the main Lunar games have come out here and there's certainly a precedent for RPG ports of that era coming to the PSP/DS stateside.

I always liked how this looked and always wanted it, but I've never played it. Does it hold up well or is it more of a nostalgia aspect at this point? What older RPGs does it compare well to?

[quote name='J7.']I always liked how this looked and always wanted it, but I've never played it. Does it hold up well or is it more of a nostalgia aspect at this point? What older RPGs does it compare well to?[/QUOTE]

I don't really have much older-stlye RPGs to compare with, but I can tell you that at least the Playstation remake was a pretty standard, old-schoolish RPG. Relatively short, as RPGs go (I think my first playthrough was somewhere between 30-40 hours, maaaybe 45). The battle system is simple, though it incorporated some elements of movement and spacing (certain spells and moves would target a line of enemies, or radiate in a sphere and be able to catch two or more enemies at once). Your party is fixed, with a maximum of five members, although over the course of the game you'll have a few more who switch around. Spells are learned as you level up, there isn't really any customization to speak of.

The plot is relatively cliche, but it is pulled off with such sincerity that I can't help but enjoy it. And the anime cutscenes in the remake (and, from what I gather, in the Sega cd original) were absolutely outstanding for their time.

[quote name='Rig']The game that's gonna make me buy a PSP. Kinda funny, since SSSC was the game that made me buy a PS1.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, Lunar Dragon Song is the game that made me buy a DS. Granted, I got the system when the game was announced, not when it was released to horrible reviews, but still...

[quote name='J7.']Good to know SDC. So does the game hold up today or is it more of a nostalgia appeal?[/QUOTE]

While it is a throwback, I think Lunar on the PSP will feel just as welcome as any other SNES/PS1-era remake/rerelease the PSP has hosted, such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Star Ocean 1 and 2 (here would be the SNES era), and Valkyrie Profile. The Lunar remake of the PS1 era didn't feel dated to me at all. In fact, the anime cutscenes made it a cut above other RPGs (which, I gather, was also a strength of the original Sega cd release)

I just played the Japanese demo up on the PS Store. I'm not a fan of the slower character movement and the point and click world map, but everything else is pretty good. Definitely not terrible like Dragon Song IMO. I'm definitely buying the game. The updated graphics are pretty nice and it kind of feels like a brand new game exploring (outside of the same cutscenes and such).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I just played the Japanese demo up on the PS Store. I'm not a fan of the slower character movement and the point and click world map, but everything else is pretty good. Definitely not terrible like Dragon Song IMO. I'm definitely buying the game. The updated graphics are pretty nice and it kind of feels like a brand new game exploring (outside of the same cutscenes and such).[/QUOTE]

When I first saw the new screens I wasn't that impressed, but then I compared them to the PSOne version and was blown away.

Nostalgia reminds me I really enjoyed this game and I even bought the PS1 version again a year or two ago. Also bought Eternal Blue which I have yet to play... I'm already committed to buying both if an Eternal Blue remake comes to fruition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Kfm0gCTX0

Try that video. Maybe it works.

The demo def. feels like Lunar. Same music and cutscenes as TMK pointed out - cutscenes are 4:3 so they have vertical bars on the sides. Slightly disappointing, but it makes sense to do that as opposed to stretching it or spending the money to redo them.

One game disc and portable? Super tempting. The demo hasn't convinced me that it would be worth $50, but $30 for sure and *maybe* $40. I don't know if it's certainly coming to the US yet.

[quote name='Rig']Japanese demo out? Can Japanese accounts still be made? I need to play a demo![/QUOTE]You can, but the problem is you have to re-authorize your U.S. account to play U.S. games on a PSP. Since I have multiple PSPs, I can do that.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Try that video. Maybe it works.

The demo def. feels like Lunar. Same music and cutscenes as TMK pointed out - cutscenes are 4:3 so they have vertical bars on the sides. Slightly disappointing, but it makes sense to do that as opposed to stretching it or spending the money to redo them.

One game disc and portable? Super tempting. The demo hasn't convinced me that it would be worth $50, but $30 for sure and *maybe* $40. I don't know if it's certainly coming to the US yet.[/QUOTE]It's coming stateside in Jan. for $29.99.

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75584

Gosh darn it, I want an English demo. I have the same problem with Peace Walker. Anyways I would've preferred Lunar 2. I'm assuming that will come eventually though.

My only exposure to the series thus far has been Lunar Legend, which I thought was a pretty game brought down by (IMO) a pedestrian localization and limitations of the GBA.

[quote name='Izod517']Oh man, that just made my PSP purchase worth every penny. This has to be my favorite RPG franchise.[/QUOTE]

It's actually the *only* reason I bought a PSP. I grabbed a 2.0 a couple months back for cheap (from Dell). Probably haven't even put two hours on the machine yet.

Check out this info from Famitsu, courtesy of RPGFan
GungHo and its subsidiary GameArts have shed some more light on the upcoming PlayStation Portable remake of Lunar: Silver Star Story. In addition to the main story starring Alex, the developers have included another scenario in Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star. This new scenario will let the player assume control over the four legendary heroes (Dyne, Ghaleon, Mel and Lemia) who are trying to free the Goddess Althena from the clutches of an evil wizard plotting the extermination of mankind. To realize his evil scheme, he has captured Althena and summoned five gods known as princes of the dark star. To thwart his plan, the four heroes will have to take on the wizard and the five princes.

Another exclusive feature is the addition of bromides which are well hidden in various spots throughout the game. Bromides double as stat-raising items during battle and special character pictures.

Lunar Harmony of Silver Star will be available in Japan on November 12th. An English version of the game will be available on this side of the Pacific on January 12th, courtesy of XSeed Games.
Sounds cool

The addition of bromides? I hope that means they've made new ones for this game, and kept the old ones!

Don't forget to buy soap on the boat! ;)

Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star - been hoping to play that story line from the begining! Man here's to hoping for Lunar 2 being in the pipe as well.

bread's done
Back