___

http://nextgamer.nl/index.php?pagina=nieuws/lezen&id=2290

No personal opinion yet....

9cb5b1630592e7baa0e68c589cb9aa42.jpg

7f82457516092f217af880289163ab6c.jpg

95d8a362c0d829cf455847054383b196.jpg

2ivfj41.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha, 1up channels Loltaku, and then Slotaku strikes again! Digging up innuendo from Chinese message boards...sigh.

IMO, the pics are fake.

Seriously, though, I do believe the rumor about a slimmer, cheaper PS3 sooner rather than later, but I dunno if it will happen at E3. If anything, there'll be a price drop to clear out inventory on 80GBs to make way for a bigger HDD one.

Edit: so to recap, pics fake, rumor of cheaper PS3 with smaller, cooler parts = true.

What difference does it make if they don't sell it at a cheaper price nobody will buy it and they will still be #3.

It would be the next best thing to a price-drop; market it as a relaunch of a console to spike interest like the PSP remodels since Sony can't afford another worthwhile price-drop in the $100 range. Personally, I could see myself trading in the current PS3 model for credit towards the one in the supposed leaked pictures (NO SPIDERMAN FONT! YAY!).

It would be the next best thing to a price-drop; market it as a relaunch of a console to spike interest like the PSP remodels since Sony can't afford another worthwhile price-drop in the $100 range. Personally, I could see myself trading in the current PS3 model for credit towards the one in the supposed leaked pictures - best of all... no Spider-Man font!

Man, I dunno. All the pics of the console look "fake," if only because they look "cheap" - by "cheap," I mean "losing the gloss we all hate in the first place and going back to PS2-style flat black."

But that box in the very first picture is the only thing, I think, that gives this a shred of credibility. Not that a box can't be mocked up, mind.

Two things make this credible, IMO:
1) the box
2) the "PS3" moniker. While that might make some more skeptical, let's be honest: which of the current three consoles needs a marketing/image makeover/rebranding? The Playstation 3.

There's a good NeoGaf thread about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361611&page=8

I'm waiting utilE3, but I'm also holding off on buying now just to make sure. I mean, with the new smaller cell and RISC chips, it's not a huge logical leap to slim the model down. Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if the redesign is attempting to make it resemble a PS2

...I kinda want a 60GB model though for BC. I'm seriously sick of all this console clutter.

My vote if for fake. Given how much effort they put into making the PS3 look nice (and it does look very nice) I can't imagine they would ever release something this ugly.

Alot of ppls are saying its real. There is a poster on GAF that just said "September". So something might be released then. Also Before we got the XMB-Chat feature in the FW update, he posted all about it over at GAF thus being credible.

[quote name='cdeener']What difference does it make if they don't sell it at a cheaper price nobody will buy it and they will still be #3.[/QUOTE]

Fanboyism adds nothing to discussion.

Also, that looks horrendous. I don't think Sony is that dumb.

[quote name='Scorch']http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=214873

then again, it's always possible that they're just denying it because they haven't announced it yet.[/QUOTE]

Why would a company(Sony) come out and state the "rumors" are true? What company has ever done that? Obviously, when something leaks, everyone at said company denies any sort of info.

Im pretty sure this is real. Plus GameInformer recently stated there will be 2 year defining things occurring this year...this could be one of them at E3.(PS3Slim+ price drop on old hardware)

I'm going to vote for a True here. With the exception of the last pic, only the top of this is shown. Also, it has been pointed out to me that the company that manufactures PS3's in China (the factory pictured) has requested a Cease and Desist order for those pictures.

Also, keep in mind that 2 of these pictures have human hands in them. If these pics were fake, we wouldn't be seeing them. As far as pricing goes, we might see yet another switcheroo here with the bigger systems being $299 until they run out then this thing comes in at $399...

I don't think some people in the thread realize that, real or not, the pictures are of the top plastic piece and not the entire PS3.

Also, cuta, PS3 has outsold everything in Japan (including Wii) for all of 2009. The U.S. isn't the whole world. :p

Damn the PS3 lost a lot of weight! :)

The system could use a slimmer model though. It probably wouldn't increase sales because no one is buying the current version, but I wouldn't mind picking up a slimmer PS3 down the road a couple years from now.

looks pretty fugly.
i'm hoping it is a fake.
sony can't be this stupid, right.
then again, sony has been quite a few dumb decisions with the psp/ps3

[quote name='HowStern']I don't think some people in the thread realize that, real or not, the pictures are of the top plastic piece and not the entire PS3.

Also, cuta, PS3 has outsold everything in Japan (including Wii) for all of 2009. The U.S. isn't the whole world. :p[/QUOTE]
Well, Japan is Sony central so they will still be #3 everywhere else since most people aren't buying PS3 for the price point plus they don't have enough exclusive games to make people buy one.

I wouldn't buy the slim because I have a 1st gen model with PS2 H-BC, but the 1st gen version is definitely the ugliest and bulkiest system ever. The only system that comes close to that is a 1st gen Genesis with a 1st gen Sega CD and the 32x attachment. I think this slim look is a slight improvement.

For Sony, I think a slim model would be an excellent marketing and economic move.

Now, I wish MS would slim down its system. I would buy a Slim 360 without a second thought.

I don't think a slim 360 is possible because of the hard drive BS they have. You can't just say to a majority of your fanbase 'this model's better, but your saves aren't coming over if you get one'.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy this PS3, because I would if it had PS2 BC in it (I'd sell off the current PS3 I have if it came to that). Not at $400, though.

[quote name='daflubby']Fanboyism adds nothing to discussion.

Also, that looks horrendous. I don't think Sony is that dumb.[/QUOTE]
You do realize I have a PS3 and I enjoy playing games on it but I mostly use it for a Blu-ray player. I like all my systems otherwise I wouldn't own them.

Fake. Couldn't be THAT slim yet, could it? The PS3 processing runs really hot, so cooling would make it less slim. My guess: the real redesign, when and if one ever comes, will make it less wide, too.

A reliable sony insider told me it is real. They were not going to announce it at E3, but they may now because of the leak. Also, expect E3 to be amazing.

p.s. - Syphon Filter PS3 has been worked on for over a year, expect a big splash.

[quote name='dv8mad']Sent these to one of my client's that works for Sony after I saw your blog post. He responded with:

HAHA!
polystation-3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What is that?

[quote name='blitz6speed']A reliable sony insider told me it is real. They were not going to announce it at E3, but they may now because of the leak. Also, expect E3 to be amazing.

p.s. - Syphon Filter PS3 has been worked on for over a year, expect a big splash.[/QUOTE]

WUT? I dont believe you. Theres no such thing as annoucing something based on a leak.

[quote name='Blackout']Damn the PS3 lost a lot of weight! :)

The system could use a slimmer model though. It probably wouldn't increase sales because no one is buying the current version, but I wouldn't mind picking up a slimmer PS3 down the road a couple years from now.[/QUOTE]

When PS3 dropped to $400 bucks and 360 didnt have its own $199 price drop, it was outselling the 360 every month. A $299 price drop on the PS3 will really boost PS3 sales.

I'm skeptical of the pics for sure. The supposed redesign doesn't make much sense. It's now too narrow to stand on its side, yet still very wide and deep. Japanese consumers who prefer smaller footprinted electronics that will actually fit in their small apartments are not going to jump up to get this form factor.

i wouldnt be surprised if that was a real slim version because if the heating is an issue they can take the MS route and just ignore what heat does to the system and just sell it anyway. kinda like when companies calculate the cost of the lawsuits compared to the cost of a recall except they know there will be no recall. And MS has proven that proper marketing can cover any kinds of mistakes the product may have.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']@ surak
Cheap base mold - a'la PS2.

PS2-M-VS3in1.jpg

ps2stand.jpg

This held the PS2 slim in-place.[/QUOTE]

I would be surprised if they go that route, because it makes slimming up a PS3 with only a negligible reduction in width and depth that much more pointless.

Idk...part of me thinks that it could be fake, but there are some things that give it credibility.

Think about it, none of those knock-off fake system clones are ever dumb enough to infringe on Sony's name. Yet this case clearly has the Sony logo built in on the left front of it. Not to mention the Sony logo on the box. These are not the things you'd find on fake knock-offs. The one thing that makes it iffy is the new "PS3" logo. It could very well be Sony is trying to repair brand image by breaking free of the old Playstation 3 typeset.

Who knows though. I'm leaning towards this possibly being real. Can't dismiss it outright, can't blindly accept it either. Guess we'll find out for sure down the road.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']

Grammar Nazi is the meme I see. Cool thing with CAG threads is that you can change the title and it actually changes![/QUOTE]

Except I don't have to really unless it's some enforced rule now.

If people are less comfortable with the title I'll change it, but no need ATM.

Note: I love ur avatar.

I would take the 5 seconds to delete the extra 'i'. I'm OCD like that since I normally take pride in each thread I make. I actually didn't notice it until it was mentioned.

Nice eye scar.

I'd buy into this. I don't know that we'll see it any time soon, but I'd buy that Sony is looking into making the PS3 look sleeker and making it less of a dirt magnet. I don't know that this is the Slim version, just a sleeker looking version of the current PS3.

Kinda how Apple rounded out the corners on the iPod. The features don't actually change much, but the casing does. E3 just keeps getting more interesting with all these 'leaks' going around.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361611&page=8[/URL]

I'm waiting utilE3, but I'm also holding off on buying now just to make sure. I mean, with the new smaller cell and RISC chips, it's not a huge logical leap to slim the model down. Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if the redesign is attempting to make it resemble a PS2

...I kinda want a 60GB model though for BC. I'm seriously sick of all this console clutter.

RSX is the codename for the GPU. RISC is a cpu architecture methodology.

bread's done
Back