First MMORPG you ever played

chronodev

CAGiversary!
What is the first MMORPG you've ever played?

My introduction to MMORPGs was in Asheron's Call II. Since then, I've played Guild Wars, Eve Online, City of Heroes, and World of Warcraft (Though I no longer play MMORPGs due to lack of time...)

Phantasy Star Online, if you'd call it that. Personally I wouldn't so I guess I'd say it was Ragnarok Online. That game is awesome.

Mine would also be Phantasy Star Online for the Sega DC, and then Star Wars Galaxies.

Now it's Kingdom of Loathing. Not your usual MMORPG. :)

Ultima Online (PC)(September 1997)

I went ahead and got the Charter Edition that had some Collector's extras, and it also allowed you to start playing the game a few days or a week ahead of regular edition customers. So basically gave you an early release date.

Loved it to death for two years straight, bugs and all. Even the merciless PKs that'd kill anything stupid enough to travel in the open (was fun to become one of those evil bastards too! Ahahahahaha)

Went back to the game for a year some time after that. Had to quit once Origin folded and the game just went in another direction, pure trash, in my opinion. Damn shame that Lord British (Richard Garriot) and everyone else in Origin left. Before that though, just awesome.

Still, can't believe how much some people whine in things like World of Warcraft. Back in my day, if you died, you dropped ALL your items, EVERY time. Could die in a breath by a mob of PKs, nowhere safe to hide except towns. But at least you didn't lose experience like Everquest! UGH!

World of Warcraft is my first MMORPG experience. Then it was Tabula Rasa and Guild Wars. I got back into WoW after a little bit, but I was out again in a couple months.

The first mmo i played was everquest at some point in the late 90s/ early 00s. It was when the 3rd (i think) expansion came out in a combo pack with the original game and the first expansion. I think the expansion was called something like Ruins of Kunark or something. I lasted about a week in that game before getting bored and wandering off.

My first real MMO was City of Heroes. I was addicted for 6 months. I'm kinda interested in some of the new stuff they've just put out with the new player-created content. I think I'd love to make my own story-arcs.

UO, back when it first came out. My college roommate played it all the time, so I tried it out a bit.

The first MMO I actually paid for was City of Heroes/Villains.

I would say Phantasy Star Online or Diablo II, but neither of those are true MMORPGs. I love these sorts of games, but I've never really cared for true MMORPGs, though I've tried several (notably FFXI and LotR:O). I guess I just like too much variety in my gaming to be sucked in wholly by a MMORPG.

My first and only MMORPG is Requiem and I'm still playing and enjoying it.

I played Diablo II but never really thought of it as an MMORPG, at least not the way I played it (solo or LAN).
I was slow getting into MMORPGs for a couple reasons:
1. I didn't like the subscription idea of paying for something on a monthly basis
2. Coming from the Diablo RPG and first person shooter background I wasn't used to typical RPG movement/camera controls but I've gotten better.
3. I did not want to micro manage every detail of my character as I preferred the RPG lite style of Diablo.
4. Monotonous tasks. I watched my brother playing Ultima Online which was my only other exposure to MMOs and he'd spend hours standing/sitting in one spot chopping wood and fishing... Holy crap... That would bore me to death and that's probably where many of my preconceptions against MMOs came from

So I never looked for anything until I saw Requiem Open Beta on File Planet last year. It was FREE, M rated and looked like the hack and slash I like so I figured I'd try it out to hold me over until Diablo III. For a free game I have gotten more hours of gameplay out of Requiem than any other game I've ever played.
I'd certainly be less resistant to more MMORPGs now that I've played Requiem and gotten past my preconceptions of all MMORPGS. I still don't want to pay ongoing monthly fees to play but at this point with 2 young kids, it's also hard to find the time for much gaming anymore... I can't wait for Diablo III!

I don't consider Diablo II an MMO, I'm not really sure why anyone would say it is one. My first MMO was Guild Wars, which I know some people don't really consider an MMO. My first "true" MMO was The Lord of The Rings Online. I am playing it again after taking about a year off, really enjoying it a lot. It has a great community which is more than you can say about a lot of MMO's.

I started with Everquest, and have been all over the place. In no particular order:

Star Wars Galaxies
Earth and Beyond
City of Heroes
Vanguard
WoW (bought a year subcription early on based on hype before finding out for myself how horrible it is)
Dark Age of Camelot
Ultima Online (should be sued for false advertising for calling this a "game" and "entertainment"

I got Everquest II when it launched and it's been my main mmo since. I would probably play CoH a little if I could get access to my original account. EQ if my old character were still around. (I have a station account), and SW Galaxies if the new version didn't suck so bad.

The only time I've ever played an MMO was when I did a corpse run in WoW for a friend while he went to the bathroom.

I may play Star Wars the Old Republic though.

Ragnarok Online. Still have it on my computer, though I haven't touched it in months over than to make sure my account's still active. Loved the simplicity of all of it, though.

[quote name='cgarb84']I don't consider Diablo II an MMO, I'm not really sure why anyone would say it is one. My first MMO was Guild Wars, which I know some people don't really consider an MMO. My first "true" MMO was The Lord of The Rings Online. I am playing it again after taking about a year off, really enjoying it a lot. It has a great community which is more than you can say about a lot of MMO's.[/QUOTE]
Its an online multiplayer game that massive amounts of people play or played. It also happens to be an RPG. Sounds like it fits the criteria to me.

My first MMO was WoW, and then between quitting/resuming playing that, I tried Guild Wars and didn't like it much. I'd probably still be playing WoW if I had time to raid, but I don't, and I never had much time to play other games.

I also played a trial of LOTRO at one point which seemed better than GW, but not quite on WoW's level. I'd like to try it out again someday though.

Wow...i played it for about year and a half then it just got so boring once i reached 70 the n expansion came out got 80 then got bored again...

I started playing MUDs in the early 90s. It was this experience that allowed me to see WoW for what it was (crack) and stay away.

started with Everquest when it first came out, didn't get very far cuz I was still just a wee lad. Moved on to Dark Age of Camelot a few years later, then Guild Wars and RuneScape for about 5 minutes and finally quit the MMO scene after 3 months of WoW

[quote name='Naterrs']started with Everquest when it first came out, didn't get very far cuz I was still just a wee lad. Moved on to Dark Age of Camelot a few years later, then Guild Wars and RuneScape for about 5 minutes and finally quit the MMO scene after 3 months of WoW[/QUOTE]

Good man.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Its an online multiplayer game that massive amounts of people play or played. It also happens to be an RPG. Sounds like it fits the criteria to me.[/QUOTE]

I think massively multiplayer means a massive amount of people all interacting in the same world at the same time. Dialblo II has a massive amount of players but the max mount of players in the same game is what 8? That's not an MMO in most people's eyes. This thread is actually the first time I have ever seen anyone call Diablo II a MMO. Not that it really matters in the end, its all just semantics really.

Ultima Online - Chesapeake Shard. My first and last MMO. I played that game for a year straight, hardcore. I than realized that this game was never going to end and all I had to show for it was a house (they had just been introduced), a ship, and a kickass looking character. I did play in the WoW closed European beta but after a month was tired of it and never bothered to go back.

Technically the first one I played was Star Wars Galaxies, back when it first came out. It sucked balls though, with a LOT of bugs so I never liked it. I think I only played a couple of months at the most.

Then my nephew talked me into playing FFXI, and wholly crap, I was hooked! I played that for a couple of years. I quit cold turkey though, and haven't played another one since. Although sometimes I get the urge to get back into it, or another one, but my better sense slaps me upside the head and the feeling passes.

Aside for some Random MUD that I dabbled with when I was around 9 years old, Everquest was my first. Then I picked up the following, and if memory serves me right, in this order:

Planetside (not technically a MMORPG, rather a MMOFPS)
City of Heroes (for a month)
Lineage 2 (same)
Runescape (same)
FFXI (how can people play this?)
WoW (On and off for 3-ish years, currently off after purchasing and playing WotLK for a month and a half)
Guild Wars (lost interest some time ago, but picked it up to appease an old college roommate)
Dungeon Runners (one of the better free MMOs out there, but got repetitive pretty quickly for me)
Requiem (heard about it, played it, got bored with it)
Cabal Online (around the same time as Requiem)
Free Realms (got into the Beta, still playing it off and on)

neverwinter nights on aol (first graphic MUD)
but for mmo i have cleared and gotten to the end game in,UO,AC,EQ,DAOC,AO,AC2,E&B,FF11,SWG,lineage,COX,Lineage2,WOW,EQ2,DDO,GW,MXO, AA,Vanguard, LOTRO,Fury,TR,Shadowbane, POTBS,AOC,WAR,DF

i also got 3 mmo beta thats are under nda installed too, plus my current mmog which i raid hardcore 6 days a week in wow and aoc. some how i mange to keep a life and 4.00 GPA

Ahh, AOL BBS. I suppose at the time it was "massive" although I guess in hindsight...

First graphical MMORPG was Everquest right when it first came out (Well, maybe a month or two after release), although I never really got into the grind. I was more into the social/exploration aspect of it. I played up until Kunark, quit, and came back a few years later when Luclin came out - got a LOT farther in the game, but quit once I realized the vicious cycle never ended.

During my break of EQ I tried out DAoC. I played out the first month, loved the setting, but just couldn't get into the Realm aspect of everything and left.

Of course during high school, I got into the SWR MUD'ing community...a great deal. I enjoyed myself a lot more doing this, especially because of the social aspect, than I did with EQ. It helped when all of your friends played as well. Unfortunately, I matured about the same time the MUDs I was playing fell out, and lost interest. I was a builder/imm on a few, but it was pretty hollow when there was no one left playing.

First year of college I hit up Horizons as it was released - had the little golem guy on the shoulder and everything. I enjoyed the concept that they were committed towards releasing new content as the world population helped each other out, but it was horribly bugged. I last maybe a month or two, and quit again. Plus, I didn't really find the concept of spending a lot of time mining the same damn rocks all that thrilling.

The last thing I played fairly regularly - that is, for at least two months - was EQ2 when Faydwer came out. I was hooked on the free month/download trial, and loved that they catered to the casual, solo player. In addition, it was great to revisit some of the old stomping grounds from the first EQ. Once again, I saw through the grind and decided to leave...well, that and other things. Honestly if I were to go back to a MMORPG, it'd be this one.

Throughout the ten years (holy crap, it really was a long time now that I think about it) I played graphical MUDs/MMORPGs I also playtested/beta invited to Star Wars Galaxies (man, that SHOULD have been a great beta...oh how wrong I was), The Sims Online (just...wow), and WoW. WoW was interesting...I can't really just the final release, because I played it only during the pre-release stress tests, but the game I played was fun. I never got hooked because I saw the grind for what it was, and at that point (not yet on my EQ2 fix) and just stayed away. I could definitely see where it was more appealing than some of the other, older MMORPGs.

Oh, and I suppose if we're considering it, I was a HUGE D2 player back in HS along with the same group of friends that played CS and those SWR MUDs. Actually come to think of it, we played a lot of computer games my first two years of HS, before I discovered the evils of girls and beer. It's been progressively downhill since.

First MMO that I fully owned and paid for myself was Final Fantasy XI for the PS2 in 2004. I got the HDD at launch.

The community is great and quite dedicated. You will never find a guild in WoW that was like my linkshell in FFXI, I swear. Very cool people.

For the most part, though, the game was just too time consuming. It took FOREVER to go anywhere, do anything, kill anything, and that is just not very helpful when you actually want to have a life. Graphics were nice, too.

[quote name='eswat']RuneScape.

stfu.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I won't. What did people ever find appealing about this game? Just because it's free doesn't meant I want to play a game that (in my opinion) looked and played like ass. Pardon me for thread crapping but I really need an answer.

mine was lineage 2. man i loved that game. i played for about a year and a half and just didnt have the time for it anymore. the pvp in that game was so good. it was totally open you so you could fight anyone anywhere anytime. clans were very strong and we had strong rivalries and some very epic battles with rival clans. plus the castle sieges were so much fun.

Diablo 2 on release day for PC, PSO on release day for DC.

If neither of those count, then FFXI. Started like 2nd week of release on PC.

Nothing hooked me like World of Warcraft though. Been playing since open beta.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Diablo 2 on release day for PC, PSO on release day for DC.

If neither of those count, then FFXI. Started like 2nd week of release on PC.

Nothing hooked me like World of Warcraft though. Been playing since open beta.[/QUOTE]

Guild Wars, although if that doesn't count then it'll also have to be FFXI as well for me.

Right now I am back playing LOTRO after a 3 month hiatus.

My first mmorpg was Rose Online..

It was free and addicting at first until they started charging... then i quit and started to play FFXI online on the Xbox 360

My first MMO was Dark Sun Online (1996). Yes, it came before your johnny-come-lately Ultima Online.

I did play Legend of the Red Dragon and other BBS games, heh...

the realm. (sierra online, 1996)

oh man. back then they had an open beta, so everyone signed up. well, the servers couldn't handle a lot, so you had to wait in an 800 person-line just to get in and play, and it would take hours sometimes. and i lived in a time when there was only one computer and 4 people who wanted to use it. good times.

i kept trying to get into UO but i got lost and no one ever talked to me. fun times happened during the beta, when i wanted to be a blacksmith and the forge was crowded with like, a hundred people so you had to push and shove just to get to the smelter, and then push and shove to get out.

my first real addiction to MMO was FFXI, lasted 6-7 months, i'm really glad i didn't stay because that destroyed my life.

bread's done
Back