I want a new bass guitar

vasco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I hope there are some knowledgeable musicians here. I am not a pro. I only play by ear. I have $500 to spend on a new bass. Some have suggested an Ibanez SR305, or SR405. Others a Fender Jazz bass. I play mostly latin, rock, jazz and gospel. I have an old Rogue 705. The company no longer exists. I don't know what pick ups are or EQ tuner and what not. I have been playing for only 3 years and I truly don't have time to research all that stuff, nor go out and try something. I live in MD and there are no music shops in my vicinity, so I can try things out. But I'm in this site very periodically and I see that people discuss EVERYTHING here. I hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance.

You can get a Fender Precision bass for that much. But I'd go for the Jazz. The P-Bass sucks, or at least mine does.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']You can get a Fender Precision bass for that much. But I'd go for the Jazz. The P-Bass sucks, or at least mine does.[/QUOTE]

P-Bass' are typical Rock bass guitars. J-Bass' are a little bit more varied in tonal possibilities, but are still a more typical rock bass.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-?sku=526799

A 24-fret Fender Jazz bass on sale for $500. The 24-frets will be good for free-form jazz and possibly some Latin music while its still J-Bass, so it'll be fantastic for rock. (I'm not too familiar with Gospel music, so I can't comment). Its on sale, don't know for how long, but its a nice guitar, I've played a couple and they have a pretty nice action.

If I had money I'd get me a Fender Jazz bass. But if I had money I'd skip the bass and get a Maton MS500 or a Les Paul Custom Silverburst.

Thanks for the replys. I was in Meijer's( in Hanover PA) and tried out the Fender Standard Jazz Bass. Not a huge fan. It was on the heavy side. I actually tried out a Ibanez SR 405. Damn it was light. Maybe it was the amp I had it hooked up to, but all the basses sounded muffled. I'll be in NYC. I'll hop into a Sam Ash and hopefully get better service there.

This might just be a personal thing, but of all the guitars and the occasional basses I play, Fender always just sounds better. Then again, I don't have much experience with expensive instruments.

Fender P-Bass is one of the best basses to record with sound quality wise. If that's not a factor I'd just go with one that feels good in your hands and plays nicely, passive or active.

[quote name='vasco']Thanks for the replys. I was in Meijer's( in Hanover PA) and tried out the Fender Standard Jazz Bass. Not a huge fan. It was on the heavy side. I actually tried out a Ibanez SR 405. Damn it was light. Maybe it was the amp I had it hooked up to, but all the basses sounded muffled. I'll be in NYC. I'll hop into a Sam Ash and hopefully get better service there.[/QUOTE]

There are a couple of other guitar stores on 48th St too, next door and across the street from Sam Ash. They may be worth checking out. Also, the Guitar Center on 14th St is worth looking into as well. Just for fun, check out Matt Umanov guitars down on Bleeker St - Beautiful vintage Fenders and Martins.

Get a Fender jazz bass. Mio commands it.

z0wruzhTRm4mx18eozrhqfBRo1_400.jpg

I have a customer of mine that is reccommending Yamahas. I thought they were only good at making recievers and bikes. The fenders are nice, but a bit on the pricier side. Guitar Centers are nice. I'll be sure to stop at the 14th St one. I know where Sam Ash is, they have all these little mom and pop operations. I will definately check em out. I'm sure they'll have more knowledge than the good people in Hanover. I will post pics on what I get. Thanks again!

A bass guitar should be on the heavier side. The denser the wood, more vibration transfers from the strings to the wood which equals longer sustain. Get a nice, wide and thick leather strap and you'll never notice. I play a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz which is easily one of the heaviest guitars/bass' Ive ever played and I don't notice the weight with this comfy strap my dad made for me.

As for Yamaha's, they have some pretty nice starter stuff. My cousin has a Yamaha Strat that is really nice. I've never tried any basses from them, so let me know what you think.

BackinBlack had a good idea with the Schecter as well. They're fancy guitars for a great price.

bread's done
Back