Walmart to buy back used games through vending machines

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Walmart (e-Play) is now buying back used games through vending machines.

UPDATE 10-4-09 (credit JTHuffy)
The kiosks at Walmart are now allowing you to rent out games for $1 per night. This aligns with their previous plans for the program.

e-Play's site:
https://www.e-play.com/Home/TradeWalkthrough

Previous Updates:
Update 7/16/09 (ty mitemouse):
I actually just met the district manager of my NC and GA and got his card so i can call him anytime i have questions. A machine wouldnt scan my license so i went to another machine and he was there doing some updating and configurations on the box. i told him about my problem and he called the development team and he was told that the boxes at this point can not read 4 state drivers licenses.. mine is a michigan license.

I also scanned a bunch of my newer PS3 games like UFC, LBP, Wolverine and they were all around the $24-25. I then scanned some other older cheaper games and i would compare their tiv to Gamestop without promotions. so this is a great way to get cash when you dont want to take a 20% hit..
There was a lot money to be made on this machine when the bbv and the now the hwv sale is going on. Like $5-10 per a game.

Tou can only trade in current gen games like wii, ps3 and 360. maybe ps2.
The TIV website is still in the works, at this point you have to bring the game or use a printed out UPC.
You need the Case to be abke to turn in a game, but you dont need cases for DVDs.
The machines takes more then one copy of the same exact game. ( the machine will prompt, asking if you really have two copies)
The machine will not take a Greendot card/ Prepaid/ Reloadable Card, i had to use a regular credit card.
The name on the license does not have to match the credit card. ( DM said he will let me use his ID on the machine sometime this week until they come up with a solution for my problem)
You will have to use a license everytime you do a trade in transaction, it does not save it to your account.
Really good info, is the TIV updates every wednesday night/ thursday morning. so you can have upto a week if you have a great flip.

Pictures and more info at the site:

Kotaku has some more info:

CAG user vgleaf claims to be from e-Play with this message:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5870784&postcount=99
On behalf of e-Play, I want to assure you that the new e-play Video Game Buy Back kiosks in Walmart have been stringently tested and do not, as erroneously stated, have “bugs.” In fact, we are very pleased with the early traffic counts, high number of trade transactions and amount of positive consumer feedback.
You can indeed trade in your PS2, PS3, X-Box, 360 and Wii games with ease and for highly competitive prices (up to $25 credit for in-demand games).

We would be happy to discuss the writer's experience via phone (866-602-6014), but we are confident we have identified the user error based upon the writer’s posting. Many retailers place a proprietary UPC sticker over a game’s original UPC code. If you peel back this sticker or open the game and remove the box art, you can easily access the original manufacturer’s UPC code and avoid the issues encountered by the original writer.

There are more than 4,000 games titles in our database, including each of the games you mention in your posting: Final Fantasy XII, Godfather II, Mirror's Edge, Ratchet & Clank, Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando, and Burnout 3: Takedown.

The following link explains the trade-in process:
https://www.e-play.com/Home/TradeWalkthrough
Regarding security issues, e-Play DOES verify the authenticity of the discs traded. A valid driver's license is required for all trade-in activity and the kiosk takes a photo of each user. Credit is applied to the customer's credit card within a few business days.

Please take the time to revisit our kiosk and feel free to contact us directly with your feedback ([email protected]). Customer feedback is always appreciated as it steers us toward improvements that ensure an ideal user experience.
Thanks and happy gaming!

Update 5/20 from Shrike4242:
The facts behind the game-trade kiosks: Ars gets the scoop

Walmart is not getting into used games... yet. But e-Play wants to put a used-game kiosk at a store near you so you can easily trade in your games. We speak to the CEO of the company, and explain why this is a surprisingly good idea.

By Ben Kuchera | Last updated May 20, 2009 8:18 AM CT

While GameStop, Amazon, and smaller independent stores are duking it out for your game trade-ins, we reported Monday on a kiosk spotted at a Walmart location that automated the act of trading in games. The gamer who tried to use the kiosk had quite the unhappy experience, and the gaming blogs ran with the story that Walmart may be getting into the used game business. We caught up with the company behind the kiosk, e-Play, to get all the questions answered.

The first clarification: Walmart is only providing the floor space for the pilot program; the retail giant isn't getting into buying or selling games directly. "Walmart is providing vestibule space to e-Play at 77 of its Northeast region stores. Some stores have Video Game Buy Back only kiosks and some kiosks are full-functioning, but e-Play manages all aspects of kiosk operations for both types," Alan Rudy, the CEO of e-Play, told Ars. "While we have over 200 other retail locations, this is currently a pilot program with Walmart, but we are optimistic of its success and future expansion."

The system also offers a good amount of security. You scan the game's barcode, and the machine tells you its trade-in value. If you decide to sell the game, you have to put the disc into the hardware directly. "Once a disc is inserted into the kiosk, the disc is spun up, identified and evaluated for damage," Rudy explained. "The kiosk is also able to tell if the disc is burned, is a CD or is an old AOL advertising disc and would reject it. If the disc is unidentifiable or does not match what the user stated, there will be a screen that advises the user that the disc did not match and the disc will be returned.

"If a disc is too badly damaged, we will withhold credit and contact the customer to inform him/her. In most cases, even heavily scratched discs can be recovered with our refurbishing process at our distribution center. The discs are inserted into the kiosk, and the empty jewel cases are inserted into the trade bin beside the kiosk."

The machine then asks for your credit card and driver's license for record-keeping, and the trade-in is credited to your card in a day or two. That's right, you get what amounts to cash, although the possibility of retailer gift cards will also be explored.
These kiosks won't just give you credit for games, you'll also be able to purchase or rent games. One of the advantages of the kiosk system that Rudy points is the lessening of shrink: there is no product directly on the floor for customers to steal, and no employee needs to be trained to operate the machine.

How is e-Play hoping to combat Amazon? "The e-Play trade method does not involve printing shipping labels or waiting on snail mail to deliver your games or to return your Amazon gift card," Rudy said. "Soon, e-Play will also post their buy-back pricing online so customers can preview this information before going to a kiosk." Rudy won't review the "proprietary algorithm" the company uses to determine trade-in value, but by placing the values online and allowing customers to scan the games and see the value before making the decision, they are offering one more data point showing how much used games are worth on the open market. Also, unlike GameStop, the value does not decrease if you decide you want cash instead of store credit for your games.

So what happened with the gamer in the original report? Rudy tells us that if a retailer like GameStop puts their own bar codes on the game cases, the machine won't recognize them. By sliding the sleeve up or down you're able to reveal the original barcode, allowing the machine to recognize the game. Right now PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, and Wii games are accepted for trade.

It seems like a viable business strategy... as long as the price offered for used games is fair. You don't have to mail anything, you don't have to accept a lower amount if you don't want store credit, and if the machines are conveniently located, selling your games could be done as you go about your normal shopping. You can see if there is a kiosk close to you by checking out the company's website. Rudy promises the kiosks have been tested, and there will be a new screen explaining the issues with third-party barcodes to avoid more confusion.

The battle for your used games continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
wrong forum, not a deal.

and this is one area where walmart's "lowest prices" will fail them.

and i'm not quite sure how something like this could be fully automated. There would almost have to be a human involved or anyone could just trade in a blank case, or scan a UPC from another game.

dont see what keeps people from putting case only games into the system (no game inside) or what keeps the place from saying there was no game inside.. Sorry but too big of a risk for most.. It will flop

Yes the machine needs to be able to read the discs to make sure its the correct information on there and its a bootleg, and that the disc works perfectly. I doubt this machine has that kind of capability.

I would think you need an account of some sort, and they will monitor if you trade in games that are empty or damaged..

I doubt they'd release it without some sort of tech that verifies the data. At the very least, I'm sure you'll be required to use a credit card for verification or something.

I wonder how the values are.

If they accept original Xbox games, I got a bunch I would trade in. Hope they work out the bugs and this ends up becoming a common thing for all walmarts.

Ya i was kinda wondering what stops people from going to UPCDatabase and printing out a bunch of codes for really new games then turning around and sliding some rock revolutions up there.

Thanks for posting this, it's very interesting even if it is in the wrong forum. Maybe a mod can take it to deal discussion rather than locking. :)

Did it say how much you would get?

Did it require you to scan a credit card or drivers license?

You just insert the case with disc inside?

Gives you a credit voucher that you redeem at register like Coinstar machines do I assume?

This seems very strange and asking to be abused.

[quote name='jdlmm80']And do you get like walmart store credit.[/QUOTE]

no, they pay you with free vouchers for french fries from white castle.

[quote name='Scorch']no, they pay you with free vouchers for french fries from white castle.[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Oh UR fuckIN HILARIOUS

The only possible good that will come out of this is that it will hurt GameStop's bottom line. Unfortunately, it won't be enough to put them out of business.

There is something wrong with the current business model if everyone is starting to switch to selling used games. I wonder how this will effect the next generation of consoles..

So walmart is now going to start selling used games? Why can't they do this with movies too. Hell I would donate some movies to redbox for some cash. Seems like more places take game trade ins rather then movie trade ins.

Eh, kind of impartial to this. I don't think its going to work out. Would rather see a game rental service similar to Redbox.

[quote name='d8onausa']The only possible good that will come out of this is that it will hurt GameStop's bottom line. Unfortunately, it won't be enough to put them out of business.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because Wal*Mart is sooo much better than Gamestop. :roll:

It looks as if the machine takes the games disc only... the box hanging on the right clearly reads "INSERT EMPTY CASES & ENVELOPES HERE."

So the machine could, in theory....
A) read what game is inserted
B) tell which console said game is for
C) tell if the disc is readable, well at least partially

Sounds flawed still... but interesting none the less if true

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope this does work. As of right now, GS is the only place where I can trade in games. It would be nice to see some competition between the two.

Neat -- I saw one of these being unloaded off the truck when I was there on Friday. We'll see how well it works, but my expectations are low at the moment.

I edited down the OP so that readers would have a reason to visit the source site. Thanks for the info J7.!

[quote name='sendme']So walmart is now going to start selling used games? Why can't they do this with movies too. Hell I would donate some movies to redbox for some cash. Seems like more places take game trade ins rather then movie trade ins.[/QUOTE]

It's possible they are going to just sell them to a third party, like Amazon.

bad thing ., you put in 10 complete games in say 30 days... on the 31th day you get an email saying

there was no disc in 5 of the games you put in the system. There is no way to proove you had a game in there so your mostly #$#$#$#... Then again this is the same thing as mailing games to someone.. If someone really wanted to #$#$# you over they could pull that on you.. But still too big of a risk for me, but walmart moms will be more then happy to put little jonnies games he does not play any longer in there.

[quote name='slidecage']bad thing ., you put in 10 complete games in say 30 days... on the 31th day you get an email saying

there was no disc in 5 of the games you put in the system. There is no way to proove you had a game in there so your mostly #$#$#$#... Then again this is the same thing as mailing games to someone.. If someone really wanted to #$#$# you over they could pull that on you.. But still too big of a risk for me, but walmart moms will be more then happy to put little jonnies games he does not play any longer in there.[/QUOTE]

lolwut

Where are you getting these crazy ideas. This isn't a risk like mailing games to someone; you put in a game, you get store credit. You don't wait a month and get an e-mail. Apparently the machines have to actually start working right first, though. As of now they don't scan a lot of games.

As for not being able to get credit or your money back for something, I'd have to say Wal-Mart is objectively the least risky retailer in that regard. I've even seen them give refunds for items from other retailers.

Gamestop having some competition isn't a bad thing. Whether you use the service at Wal-Mart or not, it still means potentially better trade in prices elsewhere for gamers, and that's a good thing.

[quote name='d8onausa']The only possible good that will come out of this is that it will hurt GameStop's bottom line. Unfortunately, it won't be enough to put them out of business.[/QUOTE]

If you think about it all those places that buy used games are ripping people off,only diffrence is gamestop started doing it first.So to hell with all of them.

[quote name='progman3']Really? When can I rent games through vending machines, that's what I'm ready for![/QUOTE]

I actually saw one of these machines (or at least similiar concept) at a Super Wal-Mart in Massachusetts this weekend, and it looked like it does offer game and movie rentals. I didn't get to look too far at the inventory, but the pricing I saw was $1 for DVDs and games, and $2 for Blu-ray (I assume prices are per night, like redbox)

[quote name='Darrith']lolwut

Where are you getting these crazy ideas. This isn't a risk like mailing games to someone; you put in a game, you get store credit. You don't wait a month and get an e-mail. Apparently the machines have to actually start working right first, though. As of now they don't scan a lot of games.

As for not being able to get credit or your money back for something, I'd have to say Wal-Mart is objectively the least risky retailer in that regard. I've even seen them give refunds for items from other retailers.

Gamestop having some competition isn't a bad thing. Whether you use the service at Wal-Mart or not, it still means potentially better trade in prices elsewhere for gamers, and that's a good thing.[/QUOTE]

walmart would say its not there machines so they will not give a refund... Yes you get credit right away but who is to say that in 30 days or whenever you get a chargeback saying

There was not a game or the game was damage or some other Bs they will try to pull and rip you off...or what happens if they dont give you the right amount. Like i said tooo risky for me

This is very interesting indeed. I would love to find out more about these kiosks.

I'm guessing that a credit card/debit card is required just in case you try to scam the machine somehow so they can charge your card back. I'm still not sure how it can tell what game you are trading in. From the post on the other site it appears that you need to scan the upc on the box.

Maybe once the machines build up an inventory it will then allow you to purchase the used games? Or all them to be rented out? I'm not sure. Haven't seen these at my Wal-Mart yet, but I know that the redbox kiosk is super popular at my store.

The thing with the "scanning error" is because different retailers have different SKUs for different versions of games. For example, some retailer was offering a Nascar game with an exclusive car and a different cover. That UPC wasn't loaded in our POS at GameCrazy.. or if a store has an exclusive collector's edition, that UPC may not be in the database, but it'd recognize the game.

It still has some kinks, but until then, I'll remain hopeful about the trade-in values. I have over 200 XBox games..

[quote name='slidecage']
walmart would say its not there machines so they will not give a refund... Yes you get credit right away but who is to say that in 30 days or whenever you get a chargeback saying

There was not a game or the game was damage or some other Bs they will try to pull and rip you off...or what happens if they dont give you the right amount. Like i said tooo risky for me[/quote]

Read the description, dumbass. You insert the disc into the machine and the case into another slot. For them to verify the game, I would imagine that they have some way of loading up the disc to verify its contents. If the data can't be read, it'll reject the trade.

easily addressed it's not spitting out cash to you on site, sounds like a credit system, where you could easily cancel all credit once fraud is found.

i don't trust vending machines in general (too many lost dollars!) so i don't think i'll parttake in this, unless i have some shitty game that gamestop doesn't want

[quote name='yukine']I'm all for it.

The more places where we can trade-in games and buy used, the better.[/QUOTE]
Well, so far it looks like it may only let you trade in, I don't think that box will be able to sell them back. Though maybe in a few months, stores will have used games for sale inside.

Black hoodie.
Prepaid credit card from a pharmacy.

I am Rusty Shackleford... have some generic cases w/printed covers and CD-Rs.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']Walmart is for poor (white) people. I'm rich bitch[/QUOTE]
If you're really rich, why does your avatar look like he shops at Wal Mart on a regular basis?:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.:lol::lol::lol:

bread's done
Back