Far Cry 2: An FPS with a few tricks up its sleeve (PC)

Hydro2Oxide

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
May 17, 2009 - So FarCry2 is many things. It's an open world (More or less) FPS with some pretty nifty changes to the regular run and gun formula of shooter games. You are some government agent sent to Africa to take down The Jackal, a gun dealer who starts wars for his own gains. In your search to find him you come down with some pretty wicked malaria and pass out, only to be awoken by your good frined the Jackal staring you down with a gun and bush whacker. After some... I don't really know what happened, you escape him only to be nursed back by some... other people. OK, I'll admit I didn't really pay much attention to the story as I find it kind of weak. This one's all about the pretty graphics and the intense combat, not the compelling story...

Read the rest here

Verdict
Graphics - 9.5: It's the Cry engine + a few extra fire effects, what's more to say? Just hope you have the rig to play it.
Sound - 9.0: NPC dialogue is excellent and in combat speech by enemies is very realistic though repeats a little too often. Music is very powerful and immersive but also gets repetitive.
Singleplayer - 7.8: It's repetitive yet rewarding. The lack of a good plot makes you question why you do what you do though.
Multiplayer - 8.3: While it's fun, it's not likely to keep you coming back once you've played with all your interesting toys. Custom maps are a good refresher though.

Suggested purchase price: ~$25

Overall - 8.1

I don't like a FPS where I have to unload two clips from an AK into a guy dressed in jeans and a wife beater tshirt. Then I walk 20 feet away and he's misteriously back.

If those two things were addressed, I'd like this game a LOT more.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']It's the Cry engine + a few extra fire effects, what's more to say?[/QUOTE]

Seriously?

Far Cry 1:
farcrybig.jpg

farcry012004000.jpg

Far Cry 2:
farcry22020081022201721.jpg

farcry22020081022201744.jpg

Also, Far Cry 2 doesn't really run on any version of CryEngine. It uses it's own purpose-built, proprietary engine called Dunia, which is technically forked from CryEngine, but only has trace bits of code (2 or 3%, estimated) left over from CryEngine. It's very close to being entirely ground-up.

By CryEngine, I meant CryEngine 2 of course. I also knew it was optimized better and was modded, but hadn't realized how heavily modded.

I'm ignorant but not THAT ignorant :p

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']By CryEngine, I meant CryEngine 2 of course. I also knew it was optimized better and was modded, but hadn't realized how heavily modded.[/quote]

In that case, you're even more wrong. FC2's Dunia Engine has no relation whatsoever to CryEngine 2. It's forked from CryEngine 1, though, as stated, only retains a few bits and pieces of code from it.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']In that case, you're even more wrong. FC2's Dunia Engine has no relation whatsoever to CryEngine 2. It's forked from CryEngine 1, though, as stated, only retains a few bits and pieces of code from it.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, pardon the ignorance then. I was under the influence it used a modded version of the engine Crysis runs off.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Ahh, pardon the ignorance then. I was under the influence it used a modded version of the engine Crysis runs off.[/QUOTE]

It's cool. A lot of people had that impression, I think (many just by virtue of all the "Cry" business).

Hope I didn't sound too crass. Was just pointing things out.

Nice.
I do have one question though.

Is it correct to say
"Far Cry 2 an fps with . . ."
or
"Far Cry 2 a fps with . . ."

I'm asking because whenever I ask people this question, I get no answers lol.

If it's a vowel sound, you use an.

This is why you say "an hour" even though it doesn't begin with a vowel.

So, fps = "ef" sound = vowel sound = use an.

[quote name='Strell']If it's a vowel sound, you use an.

This is why you say "an hour" even though it doesn't begin with a vowel.

So, fps = "ef" sound = vowel sound = use an.[/QUOTE]

Correct. Though, if someone pronounces "FPS" as a word, then it would be "a."

...I'm sure at least one person does it...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Correct. Though, if someone pronounces "FPS" as a word, then it would be "a."

...I'm sure at least one person does it...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, some people would say "a fps." I, however, would say "an fps." It just sounds right. I recently read in the Death Note manga "... a L," when it should have been "... an L." Yes?

As I was typing it, I was thinking "First Person Shooter"

So what I really meant was "A first person shooter with... etc."

EDIT: Oh, and no worries Coffee, I know I'd go off on someone if they said the Half-Life 2 was using the GoldSrc engine or something.

EDIT2: Oh wait, I did write "An", I don't even know why I'm arguing the point :p

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back