Tiger Woods 10 - Club & Disc Golf w/Motion+ (Upd: get it!)

crunchewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
I wasn't all that interested in this game until I watched the demo video on the Nintendo Channel. I didn't realize this was going to have disc golf, of course taking full advantage of MotionPlus. Disc golf with MotionPlus interests me a lot more then regular golf with MP. It looks pretty damn fun. According to the IGN preview linked to below, you can play disc golf on all the courses included in the game. I'm wondering if it allows controller sharing like in WiiSports so we don't have to have 4 MP's in order to play it multiplayer? Both disc and club golf can be played multiplayer with one shared remote.

TW10 utilizes MotionPlus for regular, golf club golf too, I'm just more interested in the disc golf mode - that use of MotionPlus is more compelling to me, but the regular golf looks like it will be great with M+ as well. If you want info on the regular golf mode that is easily found. If I stop being lazy I'll include some links to info here, but for now...

Disc golf trailer, same as found on the Nintendo Channel: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/wii-disc-tiger-woods/48281

IGN Preview covering Disc Golf mode (they "adore it" and "it controls perfectly"): http://wii.ign.com/articles/980/980933p1.html

The game was shipped on June 8th. Here are some store links for the bundle (I can't see why you'd order this as game-only, so I'm not listing those versions.)

amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Woods-Tour-Bundle-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B001TOMQZI/
$59.99 with free super saver saver shipping.

gamestop.com: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=74507
$59.99+tax, free shipping with SAVER coupon code.
Powertrade: "Trade any games towards the reservation or purchase of Tiger Woods 2010, Fight Night Round 4 or NCAA 2010 and receive an extra 20% Trade-in Credit! Expires: 6/21/2009" See details on their trade-in offers page

deepdiscount.com: http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=69941647
$58.99 with free shipping.

buy.com: http://www.buy.com/prod/tiger-woods-pga-tour-golf-10-bundle-with-wii-motionplus/q/loc/108/211041690.html
$58.99 with free shipping

wherehouse.com: http://www.wherehouse.com/games/product-detail.jsp?id=2883512
$59.99 and free shipping in June with coupon code WHFIFTYJUNE

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never purchased or played any EA Sports game, nor have I ever purchased (as far as I know) any game developed by any of the branches of EA.

However, I am watching this game closely. Its looking like it might be really good.

I recommend changing the thread title to something more informative at first glance, like "Tiger Woods 10 (Disc Golf mode and Motion+)"

Really considering this game as well. Looks pretty good and comes with Motion plus adapter for $59.99. Not bad, probably see deals on it too in a week or two.

I added the trailer and a link to an IGN preview to the OP, and also removed all references to "frisbee" (except this one). :) I am now officially psyched for this game! I can't wait for it to come out. Actually, I'll have to wait a bit longer as it will be a birthday present. Ah well.

OK let me ask a question.
Is the "Disc Golf" the only motion plus feature? Or will the MP work in normal golf, too?

Me thinks this, as well as many other games, will be like games that include the balance board: It can be used, but not needed for the main game....:roll:

The Wii MP works for all facets of this game. It's being bundled with this game before any other as a showcase for the peripheral. No longer must we suffer through shitty Wii Sports golf!

Ok, Ok, I made the OP and title "regular golf" friendly, or at least more so then before. :) Yes, TW10 uses MotionPlus for both modes of play. One thing I'm wondering is will we be able to play disc golf online? You can play regular golf online, but I haven't found any info on whether or not you can do the same with disc golf.

Two weeks until release!

As limited as it is, I really enjoy the golf in Wii Sports. This game is going to be a must-buy for me given the near 1:1 controls, 27 full courses, and disc golf...

7 days until release! I am planning to put in a pre-order at Gamestop as soon as the trade-in deal becomes offiicial. Thanks for the tipoff on the amazon price drop hdtvrand. I also added the GS Powertrade that is expected (though not yet listed on their site), and added two more sources for the game. wherehouse.com is a site you can trade games, music and movies into, so though their price is MSRP they may still be a good option for some.

I'm hoping to see some reviews on this game soon. I'm 95% sure that I'm going to get this game, but I just want to confirm that it plays as well as we all think it will...

Updated OP to note that the June 8th date is actually the ship date and not the available date, at least according to Gamestop where I put in a pre-order last week. Gamestop told me they will have it available tomorrow, Tuesday, June 9th.

Also perhaps of note is that Amazon is now showing a 1 to 2 week wait from them. Either the game has pre-sold really well and they've sold out of their first batch already, or they aren't getting that many copies initially, or there is a delay in the release.

EDIT: I also note that wherehouse.com is listing it as "out of stock" with only a "notify" option. I'm not sure if that's how they've always been listing it, or if that is a change. Buy.com is saying usually ships in 24 hours - I don't know how reliable their stock claims are. My experience has been that deepdiscount will only inform you of stock after the order is placed.

It officially "ships" today. Stores may not have it until tomorrow, though. The links I provide are to the bundle version which includes one MotionPlus, so the MotionPlus ships the day this ships at the least. The stand-alone MotionPlus Gamestop shows as shipping within 24 hours, so presumably it will also be available tomorrow. However, Amazon is showing the standalone MotionPlus as shipping on the 15th or some such date, so maybe all this stuff is actually delayed and not really sold out? I don't know which it is. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go to pickup my preorder of the bundle.

Mine arrived yesterday from the EA/Sims card deal. I only got a chance to play a little last night, but it felt pretty good. It was cool to go into disc golf mode and watch the hand on the screen match my motions, but I think I was playing on an easy setting, so the disc flew much better than it would have in real life. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out a more realistic setting.

Also, for anyone who was planning to buy it, take the Motion+ (which also comes with an extended Wiimote condom, btw), and sell the game, know that the game included is marked "Not for Resale" and does not have a barcode, so reselling options may be slightly more limited.

Edit: One more thing I meant to mention was that the extra heft and length added by the Motion+ is perfectly suited to a golf game (makes it easier to envision as the shaft of a golf club), but was not noticeable/detrimental to its use as a virtual frisbee.

Amazon is showing the game as in-stock again. I have to presume the 1-2 week delay was just a hiccup, then.

I'll be picking up my copy from Gamestop tonight after work and will post initial thoughts later this evening.

I was going to get this from BB today since I have a gift card. Not in stock here at my local one. Anyone else snag it from BB today?
EDIT: Nevermind, snagged it from the one near work.

[quote name='tsmvengy']I want this, but I'm so cheap!

DILEMMA![/QUOTE]

Did you take advantage of the EA cash cards deal at all? That's 50% off right there. If not, there's still the $5 off wii games coupon you get through email by signing up for the push play mailing list thing on the EA site.

As for me, I'm losing my mind over this... got it from the EA store and free standard shipping (didn't realize they offered free expedited until after I ordered). I was tempted to just order a second one with expedited and then returning the first. Now I'm waiting for the friggin thing. I know they will ship things often without the shipping confirmation but that only makes me more nuts. They confirmed shipping grand slam tennis so I guess I'll keep stewing until it gets here.

I did pick up my copy from Gamestop and have played it for an hour and half or so. First off, the Wii MotionPlus works just as advertised and really is great. Also, the disc golf is indeed a lot of fun. Actually I found it a little frustrating until I realized you could make practice shots before making your real shot. Doing that helps you get a handle on how to make your shot.

On the other hand, and while I don't find it *that* surprising, it's still disappointing to me that disc golf has been relegated to second fiddle in the game. The only thing you can do with disc golf is play it. You select a course and the only options are the number of players, handedness for each player, and whether or not to allow mulligans. You can't play in a disc golf tournament. You can't play disc golf online, and most importantly to me, you can't unlock locked courses by playing disc golf. To do that you have to play regular golf. Now, in fact the regular golf is very good and "real golf" does have way more depth to it then disc golf, but for me I just don't enjoy it as much.

The disc golf will also definitely be fun for parties, and the game will fit the bill until we get Wii Sports Resort, which now I am uber psyched about. Also, one thing is absolutely, positively clear: we need Mario Disc Golf!

EDIT: the Wii MotionPlus comes with a somewhat daunting looking set of instructions on how to connect the remote, how to connect a nunchuck or other attachment, how to disconnect any attachment and how to remove the remote. There's also a funky little accessory port plug gizmo that I haven't tried to fiddle with yet, but the instructions make it look like it will be a bit of a nuisance. Also the instructions say not to take the Wii MotionPlus device out of the remote skin. I'm sure you can do it if you really want to, though it isn't immediately obvious how you do it aside from tearing it apart. I don't think I would bother even if it were easy (and maybe it is and I just didn't see how), but there you go.

EDIT2: when playing disc golf or regular golf you can share a single remote, so that is good. However, it seems to be inconsistently supported in other areas/modes. I need to verify, but when we tried to play a "Party Mode" game, or whatever that is called, we couldn't select the same remote for all players. Annoying!

How do I drive the ball with 100% power?

I guess I need to see someone swing to emulate that.

I'm so used to 09 w/o M+ hehe.

I am *not* an expert, but I think you need to whip the controller through it's arc, with the fastest point being at the bottom of your swing. So start with your wrists angled to the right (if right handed), and then as you swing down flick your wrists to the left, the combination of which makes the virtual head of the club move faster. I think that's essentially the idea when doing real golfing, but don't quote me on it. It helps to make a full follow through, including a bit of a pivot at the end. I have done real golf, but it has been a *long* time and I was never very good at it, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

In the disc golf mode I find, and in contrast, it is really easy to get a 100% throw. You don't have to move your arm or flick your wrist very fast to get 100%. I wish there were a way to adjust it so that you have to use a more realistic effort in order get the disc to go far. I didn't see any obvious such adjustment. It's a minor thing, though, as it's fun regardless, but still I'd like the option to make it require a more realistic amount of effort. Probably they view the disc golf as a party game and so opted for easier play. I'd like to see an entire disc-golf game from some developer that goes for more realism, at least as an option, though not necessarily more realism in courses (i.e. a Mario Disc Golf game would rock.)

TW10 with M+ is simply awesome. For the person asking about maximizing swing, you have to use a swing that's like real golf. Which means cocking your wrists at the top of the backswing, and making sure the wiimote is angled forward at the bottom of your stroke (like a golf club) and not pointing straight down. I think real golfers will have no problem picking up the nuances of this game. "Video jocks" might have a harder time of it. :lol: For putting, simply pretend that you're really putting for the distance, from backstroke to speed to follow-through. ANd it works.

The M+ can be easily removed from the rubber 'glove'; just peel it off. Works fine by itself.

Disc golf is awesome, but I agree that you have to soften your shots as compared with real life. It needs a very soft touch for approach shots, but apart from that the motion is the same as real disc golf. Angled shots have the same curving effect. And, crazy as it may seem, my backhand-grip over-the-right-shoulder upside-down throw (a high arc that drops fast) works perfectly in TW10, just like in real life! That is amazing physics. I had to try it, and was amazed that it simply worked. :applause:

The bundle is $56.99 at Amazon.. with ECA discount it is $51.29.. :drool:

Will get this on Friday. I hope to eventually get one of the Tennis games. I am really excited about the Motion Plus, HOPEFULLY this is a sign of GOOD things to come.

i take it this game is a must have golf game and better then the other tiger games...

and what is a eca discount?

Game is amazing and I do not like golf games much. It is a must buy Wii game for Golf fans and non fans alike. I'm hooked. Now I just gotta decide with Tennis game to get.

Yes you can share one remote in disc golf! We seemed not to be able to share a remote in the "party" games, but it could be that we did something wrong. In any case when selecting Disc Golf from the main menu, we were definitely able to share a remote.

I'm not going to remove the M+ from the skin in part because that will make it harder for my kids to misplace the MotionPlus! Or for me to misplace it, for that matter. :)

I just spent some time with the tutorials, played a little disc golf, and played 12 holes very poorly. I think this game is going to ruin quite a few of my evenings this summer.

Is Party Mode the only mode for 4 players? Can like.. 4 people play a normal golf tournament and share the remote?

I'm going to buy this Friday morning. Probably will go to Wal-Mart as I'll save a couple of bucks. However, the flyers haven't arrived yet so maybe somebody will have it a little cheaper.

Are you supposed to stand facing the sensor bar, or swing towards the sensor bar (mimicking the golfer on screen)?

Like in real golf you stand sideways and swing toward the ball (I.e. the screen in this case).

For the answer to the remote sharing question, see my previous answers, but I'll repeat it for you anyway: yes you can share one remote.

i bought this game a hr ago from gamestop and wow this is the best game for the Wii system that is out... this is a must have game for all wii owners...

Dangit! With all the positive buzz going around regarding this game, I think I'm going to have to get it. I had originally planned on buying this game but decided to pass for the time being and get WSR plus an extra WM+ instead. However, I think I'll get both games now w/ WM+ and pass on the stand-alone WM+. Since Father's Day is coming up, I think I'll ask my wife to either get the game for me or chip in (have $70 in GS credit but don't want to use all of it).

Is the nunchuck used in this game? On Gamefly, the pic of the back of the box shows it, but their gameplay controls tab doesn't mention it. If it is used for non-gameplay elements like navigating menus, that is no big deal, but I hope you don't need it to golf.

[quote name='carlamj']Is the nunchuck used in this game? On Gamefly, the pic of the back of the box shows it, but their gameplay controls tab doesn't mention it. If it is used for non-gameplay elements like navigating menus, that is no big deal, but I hope you don't need it to golf.[/QUOTE]

from what i have played on it sofar no need for the nunchuck....

and this is a must have game..

Yeah, I have no idea why it shows a nunchuck on the box. You couldn't play golf or disc golf with a nunchuck attached. Maybe there is a mini-game that uses the nunchuck? I haven't explored the mini-games yet.

bread's done
Back