Considering going to Japan for my honeymoon. Anyone know cheap travel packages?

randomevent

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
I know some people have been to Japan, or even live there, so I could really use some advice. I want to surprise my fiancee by getting us a trip to Japan for our honeymoon since she has always wanted to go. Problem is, I don't want to end up in debt to make the trip. I'm not necessarily interested in going to Shikjuku or any other gaming/anime related places. By nature, neither my fiancee nor I are extravagant people, so I thought a travel package might be a good alternative. So far, this is the best one I've found:

http://www.jalpak.com/tours/jp_dicovery_pkg/Jalpak_Discovery_Tour2009_Flex_Japan.pdf

If anyone could comment on this, or give me advice on other avenues that I could consider to make a trip to Japan, I'd really appreciate it. We would plan to stay for 5 - 7 days, and I'd like to stay under $3000 for JUST the plane tickets and a hotel if at all possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
When are you planning on going? There's a really good tour group that a lot of my Chinese/Taiwanese coworkers love to use, but I'm pretty sure they have English tours. My mom goes on one of their tours every year. I went on one with her once, and it was pretty decent. But they seem to only do guided tours, so I dunno if that's what you'd guys want at all. They're called Signet Tours, tho their English site is called SuperValue Tours.
http://www.supervaluetours.com
All their prices include airfare, lodging (the hotels we stayed at were pretty nice, too), and most meals.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']When are you planning on going? There's a really good tour group that a lot of my Chinese/Taiwanese coworkers love to use, but I'm pretty sure they have English tours. My mom goes on one of their tours every year. I went on one with her once, and it was pretty decent. But they seem to only do guided tours, so I dunno if that's what you'd guys want at all. They're called Signet Tours, tho their English site is called SuperValue Tours.
http://www.supervaluetours.com
All their prices include airfare, lodging (the hotels we stayed at were pretty nice, too), and most meals.[/QUOTE]

That might be an option. We're going in December, which seems like an expensive time for travel to me, but because we have international relatives, the only time our wedding could fit everyone's schedule is in December. It would be from the 13th to the 20th of December that we'd go on the actual honeymoon.

I'm not too concerned if it's a guided tour or nothing but free time, because my fiancee just wants to go there. She might find it relieving if we have a tour group, so we don't have to figure things out ourselves.

Thanks for the reply.

[quote name='randomevent']That might be an option. We're going in December, which seems like an expensive time for travel to me, but because we have international relatives, the only time our wedding could fit everyone's schedule is in December. It would be from the 13th to the 20th of December that we'd go on the actual honeymoon.[/QUOTE]
Would you consider going on your honeymoon a couple weeks later? The last half of December is generally expensive for travel. (I know from personal experience from traveling to Taiwan during school winter breaks to visit relatives.) Just moving it to January could probably save you some money. We got married last November and took our honeymoon a couple weeks later. It was nice to have a period to wind-down after all the craziness of the wedding.

We're probably heading to Japan ourselves next April for a friend's wedding, so you won't be the only one looking out for deals to Japan.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Would you consider going on your honeymoon a couple weeks later? The last half of December is generally expensive for travel. (I know from personal experience from traveling to Taiwan during school winter breaks to visit relatives.) Just moving it to January could probably save you some money. We got married last November and took our honeymoon a couple weeks later. It was nice to have a period to wind-down after all the craziness of the wedding.

We're probably heading to Japan ourselves next April for a friend's wedding, so you won't be the only one looking out for deals to Japan.[/QUOTE]

I wish we had a choice. We already got our vacation from work, and won't have any time except for the time we've already taken off, which is December 9 - December 21.

Dec 9 - 21 shouldn't be that bad. I lived in Japan for 4 years, and in my experience, vacations don't really start until Christmas day. Businesses tend to not grant vacation time until after Christmas Eve. I never took a tour while I lived there, so I can't comment on price increases during that time though.

We're planning to go to Japan for at least one stop on our honeymoon to visit my fiance's family there. I kind of want to do the whole honeymoon there, do a country-wide tour, but we're still discussing it.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']We're planning to go to Japan for at least one stop on our honeymoon to visit my fiance's family there. I kind of want to do the whole honeymoon there, do a country-wide tour, but we're still discussing it.[/QUOTE]What are you guys considering for honeymoon options? Focusing on one place is definitely ideal for a honeymoon, I think.

btw, congrats! (both to DoK and OP)

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']What are you guys considering for honeymoon options? Focusing on one place is definitely ideal for a honeymoon, I think.

btw, congrats! (both to DoK and OP)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. My fiance wanted to ask his sisters, who are more worldly travelers, about suggestions. He kind of needs to get on that. But I'm certainly just leaning toward a country-wide tour of Japan myself. I went when I was 12 on a tour like the OP is asking about and we went to Kyoto, Hakone, and Tokyo and it was great, especially since my father and I didn't know any Japanese. This time though, my husband will be the tour guide. ;)

Thanks everyone. Anyway, it's not so much me that wants to go to Japan. I lived there for 6 years, 3 of them near Yokohama and 3 of them in Okinawa. I love the country, but the trip is really for my fiancee. I'm actually thinking of going to Kyoto or Okinawa, rather than somewhere like Tokyo. She's more interested in seeing sights rather than going shopping.

bread's done
Back