Just got a counterfeit copy of Tetris DS off eBay! UPDATED GOT MY REFUND JULY.6

magiic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
144 (100%)
I ordered a copy of Tetris DS off of eBay.ca a week or two ago. The auction listed it as Brand New & Sealed.

I got the game today and it was clearly counterfeit. To start it was extremely poorly shrink wrapped with numerous holes in the wrapping. The case art appears to be done with an ink jet printer. If you look at the pictures of the back of the case the colour is off. The case itself feels light and doesn't seem to be made of the same quality plastic as a normal DS case. The case art is also not nearly as sharp as the quality on a legit DS game. The card itself is also made of clearly inferior plastic to that of a legit DS cart. Lastly the manual is very plain and looks nothing like the normal DS manuals. In addition to this part of the ESRB online notice is cut off.

I have opened a claim with paypal. Left negative feedback on eBay and contacted Nintendo's Anti-Piracy division. Is there anything else I should be doing or have I taken the right steps?

I have provided some pictures for people to check out.

Flickr Set of Tetris DS

EDIT: I also only just noticed that the manual is just a review of the game with screenshots. Read the bit on the page I photographed.

From Paypal:

To continue with the investigation of your complaint, we must request
documentation to support your claim that the item is not authentic. Please
obtain a document from an unbiased, third-party, such as a dealer,
appraiser, or an organization that is qualified in the area of the item in
question (other than yourself), which clearly identifies the item as not
authentic. The document must specifically state how the item received
differs from an authentic item and must include a detailed explanation of
how the person evaluating the item determined that it is not authentic. If
possible, the document should include a serial number, and must be on
letterhead that includes the name, address, and phone number of the
business or organization so that PayPal may contact them if necessary.

The documents should be faxed to PayPal at (402) 537-5760 (please note this
is a United States phone number, if you are faxing from outside the United
States, you will generally need to dial 00 1 before the number). Please
include a cover sheet with your fax that includes the email address
registered on your PayPal account and the ID number of your claim
(PP-XXX-XXX-XXX), so we may attach the documents to your claim as quickly
as possible.

We must receive your fax by June 24, 2009 in order to proceed with the
investigation of your claim. If we do not receive your fax by June 24,
2009, your claim will be canceled. We are unable to grant extensions to
this time period. Please note that PayPal is unable to reimburse you for
any costs or fees that may be incurred in obtaining the requested
documents. Any documents you provide may also be supplied to the seller in
your dispute if necessary.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience. We regret any inconvenience
this request may cause.
Dear Ryan ,

In order to continue with the investigation of your claim, we require that
you destroy and discard the item in question and provide PayPal with a
document confirming the items destruction. This is necessary as there is a
risk that it may be illegal to return this item through a return shipment.
Please sign and date the document provided below, and return it to PayPal
via fax, at (402) 537-5760 (please note this is a United States phone
number, if you are faxing from outside the United States, you will
generally need to dial 00 1 before the number).

We must receive your fax within three days from the date of this message in
order to proceed with the investigation of your claim. If we do not
receive your fax within three days, your claim will be canceled. We regret
that we are unable to grant extensions to this time period. Please note
that PayPal is unable to reimburse you for any costs or fees that may be
incurred in obtaining or providing the requested documents. The document
may be supplied to the seller in your dispute if necessary.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience. We regret any inconvenience
this request may cause.

Sincerely,
Cheryl
Protection Services Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

Copyright © 1999-2009 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal Protection Services Department
P.O. Box 45950
Omaha, NE 68145-0950
Fax: (402) 537-5760
-----------------------------
Ryan Laker
Regarding:
Case Number: PP-XXX-XXX-XXX
eBay Item Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX

I confirm that eBay item number XXXXXXXXXXXX has been destroyed and
discarded in accordance with PayPal's instructions.

I declare, under penalty of perjury, that all statements submitted herewith
are true to the best of my knowledge.

--------------------------------------- --------------------
Signature Date

Last edited by a moderator:
your pictures dont really make this look like a counterfeit except the pic which looks like the back on the instructions are just a gray page?... either way that sucks and hopefully you get a reply from the seller.

[quote name='chronojin']your pictures dont really make this look like a counterfeit except the pic which looks like the back on the instructions are just a gray page?... either way that sucks and hopefully you get a reply from the seller.[/QUOTE]

You just don't know what you are looking for. If you read the manual bit it's not instructions for the game. It's from a Gamespot preview I believe. In addition to this the colours on the case are off. The ESRB online notice on the front of the manual and case are cut off. The picture doesnt convey cheap plastic but compared to a normal DS cart the quality feels shit.

[quote name='hiamiyumi']Contact the seller first, if you don't get answer from him then leave feedback and file a claim with PP.[/QUOTE]

I've already left negative feedback and opened a claim. I didnt want to tip the seller off and have them take any money out of their paypal account.

[quote name='dan13l858']Was the auction seller from China?[/QUOTE]

They were from somewhere in Quebec, Canada.

[quote name='Vampire_Zio']Sorry dude, but I think you took the correct steps into solving this. Does the game work atleast?[/QUOTE]

The game starts. Havent tested it past that.

[quote name='NegativeZero']how much did you pay?[/QUOTE]

$28USD + $12USD for shipping. (The shipping was a whole issue. They charged for Canada Post Regular Parcel and then sent it lettermail. Parcel costs around $12 whereas lettermail cost $1.18)

It's fake and you paid way to much so i'd be pissed. I knowingly bought a fake Tetris DS for my mom probably around this time last year when I got her a DS. She loves is and plays it all the time and has no idea it's a bootleg. Of course I paid around $15 shipped for it so that's a big difference. :)

[quote name='$hady']It's fake and you paid way to much so i'd be pissed. I knowingly bought a fake Tetris DS for my mom probably around this time last year when I got her a DS. She loves is and plays it all the time and has no idea it's a bootleg. Of course I paid around $15 shipped for it so that's a big difference. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for $15.00 that sound pretty good. I know some knock-offs will last quite a while, and it definitely beats paying Ebay prices or $45.00 for a used cartridge only at gamestop.
Last year when this thing was the hottest item on the block, you saw tons of Chinese region listings for about $15-$20 shipped.

Did the seller have tons of other DS games for sale? It is possible that the seller doesnt know it is a bootleg

Ya I was quite happy paying $40USD which was about $47CAD at the time for a brand new factory sealed copy of Tetris. I am not happy paying that for a bootleg.

The counterfeit cart pic is blurry, but aside from the obvious color and background image differences to blk00civicsi's legitimate cart pic, it looks like it has the "Official Nintendo Seal of Quality," which I find interesting, since N dropped the "of Quality" from the seal years ago. The case itself just says "Official Nintendo Seal" (as does the legitimate cart pic posted by blk00civicsi).

Damn shame. Luckily, eBay/Paypal are pretty good about taking care of you in these cases, so it should work out in your favor.

I have to post the sellers response to my paypal claim. You guys will love it.

this is original game of DS tetris you buy from other user and trying to drop me game after, serouisly , all game in my store is brand new sealed and original NOT COPY , GAME ....
i DON'T refund you also you play with game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From Seller - XXXXXXX
5/26/2009 11:09 PDT

user shipping price is same like all item i sell on ebay, then read all descriptionbefore bidding.... and .. you purchased item , I have never broken you to buy it.......
***WARNING**CRACKER HE PURCHASED COPY OTHER USER AND TRIED TO ironed **WARNING*
HE PURCHASED COPY OTHER USER AND TRIED TO ironed **ATTENTION**WARNING** IS CROOK

This is her response to my negative feedback on ebay

did't sell any copy in my store,all game is real,trying to pass on the back, (N)

This is the feedback she left me.

***WARNING**CRACKER HE PURCHASED COPY OTHER USER AND TRIED TO ironed **WARNING**

• Follow-up by XXXXX (26-May-09 12:41):

HE PURCHASED COPY OTHER USER AND TRIED TO ironed **ATTENTION**WARNING** IS CROOK

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='magiic']I have to post the sellers response to my paypal claim. You guys will love it.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could speak "retard", its a foreign language that I may never understand.

Jesus. I love that counterfeiters feel the need to respond illegibly. Probably best to try and have feedback mutually withdrawn. I've reported a user when they sold me a counterfeit Dawn of Sorrow game. Paypal completely worked it out and I got my money back as well as trashing the crap game.

That response from the seller is classic. Rest assured that copy of Elite Beat Agents I sent you on Goozex a few weeks back is not counterfeit, ha.

***WARNING**CRACKER

Contact Ebay and demand they remove the replay for using racial slurs. It may also help in getting them banned.

[quote name='shiftyfink']***WARNING**CRACKER

Contact Ebay and demand they remove the replay for using racial slurs. It may also help in getting them banned.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='AceSXE']was thinking the same thing as shifty, racial remarks wont be tolerated by ebay im sure[/QUOTE]

Where do I report feedback for racial slurring.

[quote name='FrankstaV2']Looks like he received counterfeit English lessons.[/QUOTE]

LOL

I seriously wonder if he/she meant that as a racial slur, his/her english is terrible. It should be illegal to talk like that! Think of how many brains would have exploded if they read that.

[quote name='sunghost']I seriously wonder if he/she meant that as a racial slur, his/her english is terrible. It should be illegal to talk like that! Think of how many brains would have exploded if they read that.[/QUOTE]

Probably not but people like this shouldn't be on eBay for a variety of reasons.

I ended up filing a complaint stating that the feedback left was libelous in nature by calling me a crook. I also complained about the potential racist nature of calling me a "cracker"

LMFAO this thread sucks for Magiic but damn it's hilarious for the rest of us.

Thanks for posting cracker! I'd contact Ebay and Paypal for a refund/feedback removed very angry as this is a term your people have been called for years hatefully. Play it straight up like you were black and the white devil called you a N.

If they don't remove it then use a twist of the counterfeit English line as a reply to his feedback.

[quote name='magiic']I do my best to provide entertainment to the masses via my ebay plights.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of which, is the other one still not resolved? And how did you get another PayPal account? ;)

I thought by Cracker he meant like hacker/cracker saying you were the one who was trying to do some shifty stuff.

By "ironed" idk. Maybe he meant to say you made your fist "like unto a thing of iron." In which case you would be the super hero known as the immortal iron fast.

[quote name='volt1up']I thought by Cracker he meant like hacker/cracker saying you were the one who was trying to do some shifty stuff.

By "ironed" idk. Maybe he meant to say you made your fist "like unto a thing of iron." In which case you would be the super hero known as the immortal iron fast.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he meant he was trying to iron the DS cartridge.....@_@?

[quote name='io']Speaking of which, is the other one still not resolved? And how did you get another PayPal account? ;)[/QUOTE]

I havent heard anything about it in ages. I assume they've given up.

I just used a different e-mail address for my new paypal account.

Not a Power Seller, I hope. You've pretty much got to catch them with a dead hooker under their bed before ebay does anything about those.

Sorry about this, but I got a good laugh out of this thread.

The pictures of the instruction book as well as his response/feedback were classic.

Good luck with everything.

Does pay pal usually take several weeks to sort this stuff out? I still havent gotten so much as an e-mail from them.

[quote name='magiic']Does pay pal usually take several weeks to sort this stuff out? I still havent gotten so much as an e-mail from them.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried calling Paypal? Earlier this year I had to file a claim for an item not received. The seller didn't respond and was banned from eBay, but I didn't hear anything from Paypal for two weeks. I called them to ask why it was taking so long and they refunded my money immediately.

[quote name='magiic']Does pay pal usually take several weeks to sort this stuff out? I still havent gotten so much as an e-mail from them.[/QUOTE]
If you opened a dispute and nothing has happened yet, I'd recommend calling them. They can take a look at things and see what is going on.

bread's done
Back