Do I want a PSP?

pob14

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Yeah, I know, stupid question to ask on a PSP board. :lol:

Anyway, due to a few bonuses and such, I find myself with enough Sony Rewards points to get a PSP if I want one. So, help me decide if I want one or not.

About me:

On the PS3, my favorite games are Fallout 3, Oblivion, Disgaea 3, Ratchet and Clank, and (with a bit less fervor) Bioshock and Valkyria Chronicles.

On the DS, I play JRPGs, and some casual games.

I know there's a R&C for the PSP; are there any good RPGs? Or ANY RPGs? I know there's a Disgaea, but I have the DS one and it's the same game.

And do I want to hold out another month, when I should have enough points for the 3000?

Or should I just get Buzz Quiz and a couple of movies instead?

Any input about what you like and dislike about the PSP, particularly as compared and contrasted with the DS, would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I'd say jump on a 2000 or 3000 series PSP. I think the slims are better than the original.
As far as games? RPGs you have: Mana Khemia, the 2 Star Oceans, the 2 classic Final Fantasies, and (in the next couple months) you have Class of Heroes and Disgaea 2. I would also highly recommend importing the UK "Tales of Eternia". I know it's a remake of Tales of Destiny 2.....but it is sooo awesome! As far as strategy games all I could recommend is Jeanne D'Arc and Final Fantasy Tactics. Also, no PSP game collection should go without a Patapon or Loco Roco game.

Wait until E3 and see whats up with SONY's handheld. Most of the RPGs I can think of on the PSP are remakes of PSOne games, but are also very good. If you haven't played many PSOne RPGs, you'll find several quality games to play.

Not that I dislike my PSP, but there are very few games for it which I truly love which aren't re-makes.

Crisis Core is probably worth the price of admission if you like RPGs, and the FFT re-make is just as excellent as the original (and perfectly suited to the handheld).

There's no denying, however, that it is by far my least used console.

I got one at launch, i used to love it. realized it's lack of software but im coming back to it now that i missed alot. I stopped, around when GoW Chains OF Olympus was about to come out.

I would say wait or skip it altogether. The good things are: the screen and graphics look sooo good on some games(when compared to DS), media playback possiblities, and a few unique gaming experiences(more on that in a sec). The bad things(for me) are: the battery life sucks(4-6 hours compared to DS 20ish hours), it's too bulky to carry around(also more fragile, so I'm too worried I'll drop it to take it outside), and the software choices are lacking. With rare occasions where something awesome comes out, I'll be glued to it for about a week, and then back in the drawer it goes for another few months. As an owner of the PSP and DS, the DS gets much more play. I feel like the DS is much easier to load up(PSP has load times and software updates) and enjoy something for 10 minutes or even a few hours. On to some notable games.
Monster Hunter Series: Holy crap, these games are addicting! You can get a few friends together and go battle huge beasts and make armor/weapons out of their body parts. However, this game plays much differently than typical dungeon crawlers or action RPGs, there is a huge learning curve, and most of the people who are good at this game are assholes to new people looking for strategies on forums like gamefaqs(and you will need help). These games are very rewarding, frustrating, and the most fun I've had playing with friends on a portable.
Final Fantasy Crisis Core: If you're an FF7 fan, this is required. Good looking, lots of extra missions, and fun battle system.
Patapon: Fun beat-based game where you build up little warriors and march them around by keeping the beat on the buttons. Extremely difficult though after a few levels.
Metal Gear Solid PO: Combine sneaky stealth missions with pokemon type collectible soldiers.
Star Ocean Second Departure: Awesome PS1 era RPG with good battle system and ability/item customization out the ass.
Metal Gear Acid: Don't let the cardboard thin storyline scare you away, there is some good turn-based card gameplay in this title. I think if you liked Valk Chron. you would like this. Plus it's probably super cheap now.
Also, Frys sometimes has Imported PSP games, which is kind of nice. I've seen a European Breath of Fire 3 and assorted japanese games there.

Here's an even better one:

COME ON!....COME ON!

Personally, I'm going to be getting one this weekend. There are a bunch of things to like about the PSP. For a really funny reason the thing that put me over the top was the internet browser. I'm too lazy to lug my 17" lappy with me to school. Plus, I can just leave my ipod and bring games too. Keep myself occupied.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned:

Since you own a PS3, there are some really awesome connectivity options between the two. Not only can PSONE classics downloaded on PSN be played on the PSP (most if not all, I believe) but if you have a backwards compatible PS3 connected to the internet you can put a PSONE disc in the system and play it remotely from anywhere on your PSP. I've only done this a few times, but have found it to work very well (not to mention being damned cool).

[quote name='bvharris']Another thing I didn't see mentioned:

Since you own a PS3, there are some really awesome connectivity options between the two. Not only can PSONE classics downloaded on PSN be played on the PSP (most if not all, I believe) but if you have a backwards compatible PS3 connected to the internet you can put a PSONE disc in the system and play it remotely from anywhere on your PSP. I've only done this a few times, but have found it to work very well (not to mention being damned cool).[/QUOTE]

It doesnt have to be a BC-specific PS3. ALL PS3s are capable of playing PSOne games.

BC specification only refers to whether the system can plays PS2 games.

Well, given the rumors of an impending announcement of a retooled PSP, I'm going to hold off on it for a while at least. Thanks for your input, everyone!

I've had 4 PSP and either sold them or traded them in. I had one from the day it launched and was waiting for Gran Turismo to drop, but it never did. There some cool games out now that it's got me thinking of getting another PSP, but I'll wait until after E3.

[quote name='iRent']Here's an even better one:

COME ON!....COME ON!

Personally, I'm going to be getting one this weekend. There are a bunch of things to like about the PSP. For a really funny reason the thing that put me over the top was the internet browser. I'm too lazy to lug my 17" lappy with me to school. Plus, I can just leave my ipod and bring games too. Keep myself occupied.[/QUOTE]

The Web browser on mine is super slow (my connection is really good too, so it's not that). I wouldn't recommend getting a PSP with that as the main reason.

I got a PSP-3000 not too long ago. Biggest gripe has already been mentioned - battery life. There is an extended life battery available for the 2000; I do not know if it will work with the 3000. I am also concerned about the fragility of the system, so I purchased a 1st party hard case for storage.

Games that I've enjoyed so far are Disgaea and God of War.

Games I'm interested in when I get PSP Go!...

Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Next Metal Gear Solid Project
Gd of War Chains of Olympus
Socom Fireteam Bravo 3. Graphics IMO better then the PS2 games and 4 player co-op online.
Motorstorm Artic: Edge
LittleBigPlanet
Star Wars Battlefront 2, Rogue Squadron, Elite Squadron.
Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. In the vein of the PS2 games, no cards like the GBA game.
Daxter
Ratchet and Clank Size Matters
PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe. Combines the PS3 game, the Encore expansion, and bringing a lot more to the table on top of that.
Soulcalibur Broken Destiny
Tekken 6
MLB 09 The Show, FIFA 10, NBA Live 10/NBA The Inside 10
Jeanne D'Arc
Hot Shots Golf 2
GTA Liberty City Stories/Vice City Stories
Lumines II
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Patapon, Patapon 2
Echochrome
Secret Agent Clank
Mega Man Powered Up

You really can't argue about the software anymore.

[quote name='nyprimus4']Games I'm interested in when I get PSP Go!...

Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Next Metal Gear Solid Project
Gd of War Chains of Olympus
Socom Fireteam Bravo 3. Graphics IMO better then the PS2 games and 4 player co-op online.
Motorstorm Artic: Edge
LittleBigPlanet
Star Wars Battlefront 2, Rogue Squadron, Elite Squadron.
Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. In the vein of the PS2 games, no cards like the GBA game.
Daxter
Ratchet and Clank Size Matters
PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe. Combines the PS3 game, the Encore expansion, and bringing a lot more to the table on top of that.
Soulcalibur Broken Destiny
Tekken 6
MLB 09 The Show, FIFA 10, NBA Live 10/NBA The Inside 10
Jeanne D'Arc
Hot Shots Golf 2
GTA Liberty City Stories/Vice City Stories
Lumines II
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Patapon, Patapon 2
Echochrome
Secret Agent Clank
Mega Man Powered Up

You really can't argue about the software anymore.[/QUOTE]

Why get a Go! when you can just a 2000 or 3000? Half those games listed are already on umd and can be bought on the cheap. Then the rest you could just download when they come out.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. I've been wowed by every system that has come out in the last ten years, and the only one that ever really ended up disappointing me was the PSP. The lack of accurate controls and interesting games ruined it for me.

If you are going to get one, and you have no interest in modding, I would suggest buying a new slim . The pad and buttons often times end up sticking. All the systems I have seen take a beating from wear and tear.

I'd say if you have to be convinced to buy something, you don't really want or need it.

Lumines, Jeanne d'Arc, Killzone Liberation, LocoRoco, and Patapon are worth the price of admission alone. That being said, wait until the end of the week to see what going on with the PSP Go and make your decision from there.

I think you'd enjoy the psp. You'd probably like the Monster Hunter series. There are quite a few quality JRPG's and SRPG's for the system, and the game drought appears to be over with all of the games that have come out recently and are coming out in the near future.

Personally I really want one and if hardware was to drop a little more in price I would, I just don't have the money for one.

bread's done
Back