An Instructional OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalklear64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Hey boys and girls. Today we're going to learn how to become CAG's only artist.

You will need the following things:
A computer
The internet
MS Paint or related program
Adobe Illustrator

To start off, think of a classic video game character that you know and love and go find a screenshot of that character in action, like so:
soniq.jpg

Now, using that picture as a reference, draw your character in MS Paint. It doesn't matter if it doesn't look quite right or ends up super shitty. Just call that your style and no one will mind!

Here's mine:
soniq2.jpg

Now, you're going to want to save that picture and open it up in Illustrator. Near the top you will see an option called LiveTrace, which is the secret to becoming an only artist. Click LiveTrace and select one of the color options, such as color 6.
soniq3.jpg

Now depending on how many colors you used, you may want to increase the number of colors LiveTrace uses, or not if you want to create an alternative style work of art. You can find that option near the top.
soniq4.jpg

Once you find the number of colors that makes it look the best, simply save the image as a .png and you are now an accomplished artist!

Here's a before and after:
sonik.png
sonik2.png

Hopefully you enjoyed the lesson and I look forward to seeing many more only artists out there!

To make a full scene, simply do the same thing for the background elements.
goddamnmasterpiece.png

I know I'd want to hang that on my wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome.

But you forgot a crucial step: Typing 'genna' in place of gonna or going to, so as to remind people you're a pretentious douche.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Sick tutorial CK!

-------

Need to place this order to monoprice now....hopefully I can start playing TF2 next week or so.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reminding me, I'm going to cough up the cash for one of the tilt mounts after you linked the wall mount the other night.

Oh, man.

:rofl:

I apologize for sarcastically insinuating that his art was a step up from yours, ck64. After this and rereading the daroga blog I see that it was uncalled for.

[quote name='Mojimbo']This reminda me, does anybody else remember the CAG Metal Gear Online logo? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Casey and I will never forget.

The absolute worst. It was as good as Plume's kid drawings that he posts.

[quote name='Mojimbo']This reminda me, does anybody else remember the CAG Metal Gear Online logo? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Was that the really crappy MS Paint dollar sign?

Zoo and I actually talk about the metal gear icon every couple of weeks. Somehow it just ends up coming up in the conversation.

Hey mojimbo, before I make my exit again, what are you listening to these days?
What did you think of those Kinks albums?

[quote name='dallow']Hit me up with a torrent linkin, don't have Illustrator.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't know where to get one Dallow...sorry.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Your picture is just full of style dallow.
supersonik.png
[/QUOTE]

Excellent!

I listen to those two Kinks albums all the time but haven't looked into their other work because I assume I'll be disappointed.

I'm trying to weed out the good from Louder Than Bombs too. Panic, HKIMN and that hooligan song are the ones I like off of it so far, off the top of my head.

[quote name='Mojimbo']"CAG's Only Preacher" :)

He actually paid for it too, munch.[/QUOTE]

Wow.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Zoo and I actually talk about the metal gear icon every couple of weeks. Somehow it just ends up coming up in the conversation.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a picture of it?

Do you guys have your storage drives partitioned in any way? I just got my 1TB drive and I don't know if I should split it up.

[quote name='munch']Do you have a picture of it?[/QUOTE]It was a green MS Paint dollar sign, but the proportions were all wrong. Like, worse than you could imagine. The icing on the cake was that there was this huge build-up to its unveiling. I don't understand how you could butcher a dollar sign like that.

The funny thing about the MGO dollar sign was that it was initially backwards, as Rolento didn't notice that until it was pointed out to him.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Do you guys have your storage drives partitioned in any way? I just got my 1TB drive and I don't know if I should split it up.[/QUOTE]

Partition at least 100GBs just for the OS. You can leave the rest in a big chunk, or split it up if you're a super paranoid pussy. Or another 100GBs if you want more than one OS on that HDD.

I've begged RelentlessRolento to do a vector image of Vectorman for months...

I just want to see if the universe will cave in on itself. :cry:

[quote name='zewone']Partition at least 100GBs just for the OS. You can leave the rest in a big chunk, or split it up if you're a super paranoid pussy. Or another 100GBs if you want more than one OS on that HDD.[/QUOTE]

I got a 320 gig drive in my shit already so I am going to use that for my OS (I have Windows 7 on one and XP on another). I guess I will just leave it alone and leave it as one solid chunk.

[quote name='Mojimbo']I listen to those two Kinks albums all the time but haven't looked into their other work because I assume I'll be disappointed.

I'm trying to weed out the good from Louder Than Bombs too. Panic, HKIMN and that hooligan song are the ones I like off of it so far, off the top of my head.[/QUOTE]Kinks only get truly disappointing after sometime in the mid-70s.
There's lots of gold left undiscovered in their catalog for you.

Face to Face is an earlier album and isn't as out there, but the songs are fantastic.
Lola vs... is very strong, and I personally really like Muswell Hillbillies. Lola might be more your style though.

You can safely stop there, but there are bits and pieces from the albums after that point that are worth listening to.

Weeding out the good? :|

Myself, I've been digging deep into my Brazillian catalog and slowly gathering all of the Os Mutantes releases, other lesser known groups too.
More Gainsbourg since I'm missing a lot, even Dengue Fever had me interested for a little while.
I guess world music has taken my interest for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back