- - - - -

Best places to eat in Los Angeles?

#31 JJSP   Not Broke, Just Bent CAGiversary!   10013 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:25 AM

Club 33. Seriously, have the Prime Rib.

If this is the one in Disneyland, great - but good luck getting in without a membership.

#32 cousintiki   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   15 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

cousintiki

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:36 PM

nevermind I just saw the date of the original post

Edited by cousintiki, 18 March 2010 - 08:44 PM.
op from last year

#33 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7044 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

I gotta listen to this:

http://www.scpr.org/...before-you-die/

make sure to read the comments too!!

Ima definitely check out that scallop burrito!!

#34 SovietSlayer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   98 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

SovietSlayer

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:16 AM

Roscoe's is another place that is overrated. Expect to play $15-$20 for 2 pieces of chicken + waffles. It's no different than chicken and waffles I've had from Jersey, New York, Atlanta, or Oakland. The waffle is good, but chicken is definitely not the best fried chicken you can get around here. And no, it's not in the ghetto.

IDC how old this post this but you need to be shot. Roscoe's is fucking amazing. Number 2 scoe's with the gravy on the side:bouncy:

#35 aleraiders   Drop that beat! CAGiversary!   807 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

aleraiders

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:32 AM

if anyone is even near burbank, ca or downtown la

burbank, ca - giamela submarine sandwhiches - order the pepper steak with everything (pickels,onions,tomatoes), its been there since i was 8 yrs old, everytime my family (mom/dad) travel down to glendale, they bring me 4 sandwhiches, even after the 6 hour drive up to the bay, they still taste great, corner of magnolia/n.victory right across the shell gas station

downtown la - grand central market - i forget the name but its located in the center of the market, and its busy all the time, get the "machaca gorditas" with everything on it, if u dont have a heart attack, you'll probably have one the next day when you come back

#36 lo6ick   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   221 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:26 AM

batman 1939, east los angeles rep. not sure where op is from but if you never ate at the hat, go there. best pastrami for cheapo price.

#37 noise850   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   61 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

noise850

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:41 PM

if anyone is even near burbank, ca or downtown la

burbank, ca - giamela submarine sandwhiches - order the pepper steak with everything (pickels,onions,tomatoes), its been there since i was 8 yrs old, everytime my family (mom/dad) travel down to glendale, they bring me 4 sandwhiches, even after the 6 hour drive up to the bay, they still taste great, corner of magnolia/n.victory right across the shell gas station

I can vouch for Giamela's. I work down the road on Buena Vista/Empire. My co-workers and I go there all the time, and I'm never disappointed. The sandwiches are HUGE. Bring cash, cause they don't take card. BUT, you can get a big sub for like $5. The pepper steak is the best. Pastrami is also really good.

-Noise

#38 CENNY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   243 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

Chicken wings and waffles @ Pann's restaurant on La Tijera in LA/Inglewood > Roscoes

#39 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10081 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:26 AM

Taco's Al Pecas, awesome Taco Truck. It's in Boyle Heights, 7th and Soto, for those of you who don't know LA, it's in the hood.

#40 EndlessChris   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   406 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

EndlessChris

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:27 AM

Yeah, it's not that Pinks isn't tasty, and I love a hot dog covered in crap. But it just aint worth upwards of $6. Its a goddamn hot dog.

If you're into the idea of an authentic German style pub, with big ol sausages and great beers, check out The Red Lion Tavern.

#41 aihuman   Banned Banned   1103 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:32 AM

I lived in LA all my life and have never been at Pink's.

I recommend Dino's in Koreatown, have the orange chicken with fries and Rite Aid for the ice cream.Places I never been to but want to visit are The Gridle Cafe for breakfast and Coolhaus ice cream truck for hipster ice cream sandwiches.

#42 denze   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   156 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:42 AM

Cool, this thread again

For breakfast we usually eat at Jinky's in Sherman Oaks and there's always the newly opened White Rabbit Fusion Cafe in Northridge (yeah same guys with the truck)

For late night:

Sanam Luang in North Hollywood or Hollywood Blvd (Thai town)
Aroma Cafe in Encino

#43 Nibi   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   724 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:59 AM

If you want some tasty pastry and and refreshing lemonade, check out Lemonade. On my most recent trip, my best meal came from Gjelina, on Abbot Kinney Blvd. Also, try the Wood Spoon. It is a brazilian place that is great for lunch.

#44 tink   keep on rollin' CAGiversary!   332 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:39 AM

bringing this thread back from the dead so i can ask y'all to enlighten me some more!
any new places?

thanks in advance

#45 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7044 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

I want to go to Umami Burger real bad...

never been there, really wanna go.

http://umamiburger.com/

#46 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7044 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

in terms of trucks, Grilled Cheese Truck is quite amazing.

mac n cheese n bbq pork ribs grilled cheese sandwich! I'll be grabbing one today in Alhambra when they come.

http://www.thegrilledcheesetruck.com/

#47 batman1939   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1389 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:00 AM

in terms of trucks, Grilled Cheese Truck is quite amazing.

mac n cheese n bbq pork ribs grilled cheese sandwich! I'll be grabbing one today in Alhambra when they come.

http://www.thegrilledcheesetruck.com/

I didn't like the mac n cheese and the smore sucked. Just go with the plain one and add some bacon. And take your own drink I think it was like a $1.50 for can.

#48 msdmoney   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2849 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

On the West Side in Santa Monica I highly recommend a Godmother at Bay Cities. By far my favorite sandwich of all time. Just make sure to order online for pick up ahead of time, otherwise you'll have to pick a number and it will be a 20-30 minute wait.

For BBQ I recommend Baby Blues BBQ in Venice.

I'm a big fan of Versailles Cuban food. I always get the roasted garlic chicken, but anything in the mojo sauce is good.

You can get Kogi food anytime without having to find or wait for a food truck at the alibi room in Venice/Culver City. Overrated or not, it's cheap and good.

I like Father's Office, but the one in Culver City is a better option, the Santa Monica location barely has any seating. I also recommend the Counter for a good burger.

#49 TsunamiSkweek   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   515 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

TsunamiSkweek

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

bringing some eastside love to this thread.

for tacos, zillion tacos sold is open 24 hours and has a godzilla perched on top of their building. they've also got some legit nachos. (http://twicsy.com/i/gax)

for a pub with a jaw-dropping beer list, Lucky Baldwin's in Old Town Pasadena.

fine dining, i'd recommend The Tap Room at the Langham Hotel. great food, great drinks, fantastic beers on tap selection.

for coffee/desert, i'd say that Tierra Mia cafe deserves a visit. great, friendly baristas with a lively menu and delicious pastries.

as far as food trucks go, catch kogi on one of their less-busy runs, check out the dumpling truck and the sweets truck, and Frysmith has to absolutely be on your to-try list. india jones and dosa truck make great food. also coolhaus is well-worth your attention.

#50 TsunamiSkweek   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   515 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

TsunamiSkweek

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

also worth mentioning: kogi has a brick and mortar place called Chego that's worth checking out.

question: does anybody know of a vegetarian-friendly noodle house with decent beer prices?

#51 denze   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   156 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:50 AM

i happened to come across a food truck called bowers last friday. Their sausage burrito is pretty damn good. Props to you if you can finish this.

#52 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7044 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:58 AM

I work in Pasadena.

or at least... I used to, up until yesterday lol.

so as a parting gift, here's a few placed I would like to recommend.

Rick's Drive In
http://www.yelp.com/...ive-in-pasadena
get the Spuderito, basically french fries, cheese, n hot sauce wrapped in a tortilla. shyt is so good!!!

Posted Image

Big Mama's & Papa's Pizzeria
http://www.yelp.com/...zzeria-pasadena
they sell this thing called Khachapouri which is a boat shaped cheese pizza with 2 eggs cracked atop it. Everyone loved pizza so definitely check this out!!

Posted Image

Lee's Hoagie House
http://www.yelp.com/...-house-pasadena
I discovered this place thanks to Groupon. The reviews all hyped up the chicken hoagie, so I got that, but my groupon was for $10 so I also picked up one of their italian subs (there are 4 different versions, but the dood working there told me they're all the same just that each one has more meat in it). The chicken sandwich was real good, but omg the Italian one was incredible. It's basically an italian cold cut, but they put this magic chili paste in it that makes it taste like heaven!!

Posted Image

Dog Haus
http://www.yelp.com/...g-haus-pasadena
http://doghausdogs.com/
lastly this place I wanna mention. basically, gourmet hot dog concoctions, with buns made out of king's hawaiian bread. No pics, but definitely check out their menu on their site coz you will probably see something that u like. The Mediterranean place next door is good too.

I can prolly think of more places in the area, but for now I think this is good.

#53 denze   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   156 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:24 PM

Sam Woo in Van nuys, I'm sure there are other branches. Although, the Szechwan string beans with minced pork .......:drool::bouncy::applause:

We almost finished the whole plate before even starting with the main entree.

Wrappidup in Northridge ( deep fried wraps)

Wurstküche @ DTLA Arts district (sausage fest, and awesome beer :beer:)

Get Shaved truck and store (ice cream meets snow cone)

#54 denze   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   156 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

Dog Haus
http://www.yelp.com/...g-haus-pasadena
http://doghausdogs.com/
lastly this place I wanna mention. basically, gourmet hot dog concoctions, with buns made out of king's hawaiian bread. No pics, but definitely check out their menu on their site coz you will probably see something that u like. The Mediterranean place next door is good too.

I can prolly think of more places in the area, but for now I think this is good.

I stopped reading at Hawaiian bread, I'm already sold. Adding Dog Haus to this month's bucket list

#55 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7044 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

they make their burgers with Hawaiian bread too. like their dogs are a 1x3 cut of rolls while their burgers are a 2x2.

I got a groupon I bought for $6 good for 2 burgers!! Im jus waiting for a good saturday where I got nothing to do and can eat 2 burgers for lunch n dinner.

speaking of groupon, u guys should really get on that. If you can get a deal for a place u never heard for like $5 or $6, which is less than it costs for a single item, that's technically a deal (until u go to the place and they require you to buy more than your coupon's worth lol.) They also have a lot of $10 for $20 type deals so if u got friends or family that's also great. Groupon is actually how I discovered Lee's Hoagies.

so yesterday I was fortunate enough to knock 2 high priority places off my list, and both were good.

Donut Man in Glendora
http://www.yelp.com/...ut-man-glendora
24 hour donut spot, they got "gourmet" donuts which are just regular glaze donuts with stuff on top (like penut butter) but the main reason you go is for the strawberry donut.... a donut filled with fresh strawberrys... so good...

Posted Image

Jim Dandy is South Central/Inglewood area
http://www.yelp.com/...ken-los-angeles
Since this is in a more dangerous part of LA, the security there is straight up comical. You order in front of bulletproof glass and make money/food transactions through a secure box like it's a freakin bank. No dine in either, I had to take my meal to a nearby Target to eat lol. Anyway typical and affordable fried chicken place. Hate to say it, I like Popeyes better lol. But it's still good, and the main reason you would go is for their biscuits, or fritters as they call them. They're corn biscuits covered in powder sugar and so good. Im happy coz I just ate a leftover one a few minutes ago!

Posted Image

#56 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3074 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

ZombieToast

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

Does anyone know where they have some good ostrich and/or emu burgers in the area? There used to a place I always wanted to eat at in Oxnard that sold them, but I never got a chance to go (we moved before I could drive and it was too far on bike) and they don't appear to be in business anymore. My wife and I might be going down to Oxnard/Channel Islands for our anniversary and it would be nice to grab some ostrich burgers along the way.

#57 gamerguy73   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   89 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

gamerguy73

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

In N Out for ostrich/emu burgers

#58 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3074 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

ZombieToast

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

Interesting, I never knew they sold 'em there. Do they taste any better than the normal beef burgers? My wife's family loves eating at the local In-N-Out (I think they like the religious angle or something; they're churchy folks) and I find the food to be pretty foul. But it might be good in other areas, so I'll keep that in mind as a backup if I don't find anything more appealing.

#59 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10081 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:24 AM

Fudruckers has Buffalo, Boar and Elk availability always seems to be an issue though.

#60 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3074 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

ZombieToast

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

I love buffalo. They've got decent buffalo burgers at Famous Dave's. I've never tried boar or elk, but tons of hunting lodges around here serve them.