Best places to eat in Los Angeles?

Furashu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Hi im looking to drive up to LA and make a day out of it.

What are some cool places to visit?
Where are some good places to eat?

So far on my list are only..

- Wax Museum
- Ripleys believe it or not museum
- chinatown plaza

- Pink's hot dogs
- that korean bbq kart by UCLA from jekkis blog

I actually went this month, so happy I can pitch in.

Fathers Office - amazing place, if you like burgers you've got to try it. Office Burger is delicious

Palaminos - They have wonderful drink specials the $4 cranberry mojito is awesome. Everything about this place was just right, the mood and feel was great.

ChaCha Chicken - Caribbean food that taste very good

Joses Bernstein - I had a chicken quesadilla here...best I've ever had. This place is legit.

I feel I should warn you... Pink's is overrated. It's a tourist trap, all the tour busses stop there. You'll literally spend a couple of hours in line for a so-so hot dog.

[quote name='Vegan']I feel I should warn you... Pink's is overrated. It's a tourist trap, all the tour busses stop there. You'll literally spend a couple of hours in line for a so-so hot dog.[/QUOTE]

That is horse hockey. Pinks is delicious! Just make sure you get a polish dog and not a normal hot dog. Their nachos onion rings are also mighty delicious!!!

Kogi - the korean bbq/mexican cart should not be on your list. It's pretty expensive considering you can get some decent tacos around LA for way less. Also, what people don't tell you is that, unless you stand around in the streets and wait in line in the truck stop spot before-hand, you will probably have to wait 1-2 hours to get your food. Unless you really like Korean BBQ and really want to see how it taste in a taco/burrito, but if you eat Mexican food for what it is, this is something you can skip.

If you have money to throw down, you could try Pizzeria Mozza -- which might be hard to get a table depending on the date you're going. But that's on the expensive side if you're used to Domino's prices, though its supposedly one of the bets pizzerias in the country. If you like finer dining there are a few other places that are popular, but pricey and hard to get in as well. There are a few steakhouses in Beverly Hills -- I think Lawry's is the cheapest, kinda like House of Prime Rib in SF. I would not recommend eating at the Chinatown -- most of the restaurants there are crap, if you're aiming for authentic chinese food. I would go to Alhambara or Monterey Park instead for something like that, but then, the food in Chinatown might fit your appetite if you're used to american chinese food. (if you don't know the difference, you probably prefer the latter). Diddy Riese is cool for an ice cream sandwich if you're by Westwood, but its not a must visit place in a one day tour.

LA is not like other cities -- everything are pretty spread out and it's pretty difficult to find a good place to eat unelss you're wiliing to throw down some $$. It is pretty hard to make recommendations because of that. Cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, are great places to walk around to visit some place cool place and eat some good food, cheap or expensive. Los Angeles is not one of those cities.

For places to visit, if you like art or architecture, check out the Getty. There is actually two locations for the museum -- the Getty Center and the Getty Villa, which is arguably the best museums here in LA, if you're into art. The two differs though -- I believe the Villa is more into ancient statues/art, where as the Getty Center is more about art that are in the renaissance period on -- but look it up to be sure. You might also want to visit the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theater, which are right next to each other. You can also try the Santa Monica Pier. Other than these places, I don't know what else to tell you, unless you want to check out a studio, and perhaps watch a taping? Conan?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blitz6speed']That is horse hockey. Pinks is delicious! Just make sure you get a polish dog and not a normal hot dog. Their nachos onion rings are also mighty delicious!!![/QUOTE]

Strongly disagree. Not even close to a good hotdog to be found at Pink's. Just an overcooked, greasy piece of junk. You are much better off going to Carney's on Sunset or Ventura.

[quote name='geminas01']Kogi - the korean bbq/mexican cart should not be on your list. It's pretty expensive considering you can get some decent tacos around LA for way less. Also, what people don't tell you is that, unless you stand around in the streets and wait in line in the truck stop spot before-hand, you will probably have to wait 1-2 hours to get your food. Unless you really like Korean BBQ and really want to see how it taste in a taco/burrito, but if you eat Mexican food for what it is, this is something you can skip.

If you have money to throw down, you could try Pizzeria Mozza -- which might be hard to get a table depending on the date you're going. But that's on the expensive side if you're used to Domino's prices, though its supposedly one of the bets pizzerias in the country. If you like finer dining there are a few other places that are popular, but pricey and hard to get in as well. There are a few steakhouses in Beverly Hills -- I think Lawry's is the cheapest, kinda like House of Prime Rib in SF. I would not recommend eating at the Chinatown -- most of the restaurants there are crap, if you're aiming for authentic chinese food. I would go to Alhambara or Monterey Park instead for something like that, but then, the food in Chinatown might fit your appetite if you're used to american chinese food. (if you don't know the difference, you probably prefer the latter). Diddy Riese is cool for an ice cream sandwich if you're by Westwood, but its not a must visit place in a one day tour.

LA is not like other cities -- everything are pretty spread out and it's pretty difficult to find a good place to eat unelss you're wiliing to throw down some $$. It is pretty hard to make recommendations because of that. Cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, are great places to walk around to visit some place cool place and eat some good food, cheap or expensive. Los Angeles is not one of those cities.

For places to visit, if you like art or architecture, check out the Getty. There is actually two locations for the museum -- the Getty Center and the Getty Villa, which is arguably the best museums here in LA, if you're into art. The two differs though -- I believe the Villa is more into ancient statues/art, where as the Getty Center is more about art that are in the renaissance period on -- but look it up to be sure. You might also want to visit the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theater, which are right next to each other. You can also try the Santa Monica Pier. Other than these places, I don't know what else to tell you, unless you want to check out a studio, and perhaps watch a taping? Conan?[/QUOTE]

As someone who has lived in Los Angeles for the last decade and who actually works part-time as a line cook in the Hollywood area, I would agree strongly with the above. Mozza is one of the few places people who actually work as chefs go when they want a good meal.

Kogi is way overrated. It's a neat gimmick, but not worth waiting in the long lines to get. Lawry's is cool for the old school flair. I also like the Smokehouse in Burbank, right across the street from Warner Bros. Bossa Nova on Sunset and La Brea is good for Brazilian style chicken and steaks. I also agree with Father's Office for a really unique and delicious burger.

I would stay away from the touristy crap like Pink's or Sprinkles or even Pinkberry. All of them are way overrated and not worth your time.

[quote name='souljah420']well if you aren't afraid of black people or the ghetto, you gotta go to roscoes near hollywood. absolutely amazing[/QUOTE]

All you need to know right here.

[quote name='Vegan']Roscoe's is NOT in the ghetto.[/QUOTE]

agreed. Well the one on Gower and Sunset anyways. It's across from a TV station. If you think it is ghetto over there, you need to go experience more of LA my friends. I would hit up Roscoe's and bring cash to pay for valet, it's much easier to deal with as parking is impossible around there.

If you can make it to Santa Monica, Buddha's Belly is pretty good too. I''d recommend the garlic fried rice (as simple as it sounds, they just do something amazing to it here and include sweet roasted cloves of garlic in the rice) or the ahi tuna burger with sweet potato fries.

but i will agree about Pink's and the Kogi Tacos. Pink's is overrated and the Kogi tacos are good, but it really isn't that hard to cook some beef with korean bbq stuff and throw it with some cilantro and kimchee into a taco. You can do that at home.

If you're looking for desert, how does an ice cream sandwhich sound? Freshly baked cookies and a scoop of your choice of ice cream = diabetic coma. Look up Diddy Reise.

I only make the trip up to LA from Orange County to either 1. Go clubbing, 2. Clippers game, 3. KOREATOWN FOR KOREAN FOOD.

I guarantee you, you will not find better Korean food anywhere in California. No where. You can't go wrong with any of them actually. I would recommend the Gomtang place that's open 24/7 with the barred windows. Can't think of the name of place off the top of my head.. but yeah, I'll get back to you. Korean mafia eat there sometimes.. but they don't really do anything.

[quote name='shinryuu']Disneyland (to go to)[/QUOTE]

Unless it's the purpose of the trip, I wouldn't recommend going to Disneyland. It's expensive even if you have a so.cal residency, and it's not even in L.A...takes 40 mins minimum to get there from downtown.

Roscoe's is another place that is overrated. Expect to play $15-$20 for 2 pieces of chicken + waffles. It's no different than chicken and waffles I've had from Jersey, New York, Atlanta, or Oakland. The waffle is good, but chicken is definitely not the best fried chicken you can get around here. And no, it's not in the ghetto.

K-town is good for Koeran food, though I would say OC's korean food isn't bad either. And go Clippers :applause: -- Dumbleavy don't screw it up.

[quote name='geminas01']Unless it's the purpose of the trip, I wouldn't recommend going to Disneyland. It's expensive even if you have a so.cal residency, and it's not even in L.A...takes 40 mins minimum to get there from downtown.

Roscoe's is another place that is overrated. Expect to play $15-$20 for 2 pieces of chicken + waffles. It's no different than chicken and waffles I've had from Jersey, New York, Atlanta, or Oakland. The waffle is good, but chicken is definitely not the best fried chicken you can get around here. And no, it's not in the ghetto.

K-town is good for Koeran food, though I would say OC's korean food isn't bad either. And go Clippers :applause: -- Dumbleavy don't screw it up.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Roscoe's is another one of those novelty places. The food isn't particularly good, but people like the idea of combining chicken and a waffle, so they keep going back. I would also say that Gardena has some great Korean places, as well as some of the best Japanese food in Los Angeles County.

Pink's is awesome if you enjoy spending $7 on a hot dog. Seriously, I don't care what you put on it - no hot dog is worth $7 unless someone's feeding it to you and it's made of Kobe beef.

[quote name='JJSP']Pink's is awesome if you enjoy spending $7 on a hot dog. Seriously, I don't care what you put on it - no hot dog is worth $7 unless someone's feeding it to you and it's made of Kobe beef.[/QUOTE]

I prefer getting my hot dogs from the vendors right out on the street corners. $4 usually for a "Heart Attack". Best stuff to eat right after leaving the club. Yum. I can totally justify the $4 because you get a nice hot link, all the toppings, grilled onions, and bacon bits. So bad.. yet so good. :lol:

I don't know, when something is being cooked on a baking sheet with a couple cans of sterno underneath, that's when I start to question whether the health department knows about it.

[quote name='bojay1997']Strongly disagree. Not even close to a good hotdog to be found at Pink's. Just an overcooked, greasy piece of junk. You are much better off going to Carney's on Sunset or Ventura.[/QUOTE]

agreed! go to Carney's way better than pinks.

Well for places to eat stop by Olvera Street. You've got to try Cielito Lindo. They are porbably the best taquitos I have ever tried. Also while you're there cross the street and head over to Phillipe for some bomb sandwiches. They are off of Alameda St.

Just out of curiosity what are you doing in LA, Fu?

[quote name='Vegan']I don't know, when something is being cooked on a baking sheet with a couple cans of sterno underneath, that's when I start to question whether the health department knows about it.[/QUOTE]

Obviously they don't! But I love me some good, cheap food.

For $4, I'll fully back the bacon-wrapped dogs outside of the Mayan. Delicious stuff, a little sketchy but many of the best places in LA are. Man up, hand them a fiver for a dog and a Coke and worry about it some other time.

omg... I havent checked the west forum in ages...

let's have another food gathering!!

2794504867_9731987a8c.jpg

http://www.yelp.com/biz/milk-los-angeles

PS fukk the Kogi haters... u dont go there for spontaneous eating, u go there to have a good time.

but u guys wouldnt kno about that coz u're all narcs!!!

Well yeah Pink's hotdog is KINDA overrated, filled with celebrities' portraits there... I think there's some signatures on it too? o_O; Sure hotdogs is huge, real big but expensive. =P

I like Garden Cafe in Alhambra (not exactly in LA, just 10 minutes east of LA)... if you like Chinese foods and it's cheap. Stays open until late. Check http://www.yelp.com/biz/garden-cafe-alhambra for pictures... plus reviews from people who went there...

I recommend Sizzling Beef Udon with X.O. sauce ^_^

i forgot to mention im from san diego, where im sure the mexican food tastes better because we are way closer to the border lol. thanks for the tips guys. LA will be the last trip for summer for me since it is so close!

best kbbq is park's bbq in ktown- the most amazing galbi i've encountered for a modest price.

daikokuya ramen in little tokyo is great, it's not as good as it used to be though, i prefer santouka ramen in mitsuwa market over on the westside near santa monica.

guelaguetza has amazing mexican food from the oaxaca region, located in ktown. killer mixed drinks and live music.

langer's deli has pastrami sandwiches worth going to war over- pricey, but justified by the cut of the meat. it's in macarthur park.

abc seafood in chinatown has the best dim sum for the price i've had in l.a., sooo cheap and soo good.

i hunger.

Best KBBQ I've had is...

Manna (there are 2 locations), on in Ktown and one off Marina Del Rey
Mr. Lee's in Cerritos

I heard Road to Seoul is super good too....

I'm in the Santa Monica area a LOT and Cerritos. Love the food in that area.

If you like Sushi check out Joe's Sushi in Lakewood. All you can eat deal has some yummy stuff.

Best ramen for me is Asa Ramen in Gardena (thanks JEKKI for pointing that place out to me), and it closes at 2 AM! (closed Sunday though).

[quote name='h8b1llg8ts']Club 33. Seriously, have the Prime Rib.[/QUOTE]
If this is the one in Disneyland, great - but good luck getting in without a membership.

[quote name='geminas01']Roscoe's is another place that is overrated. Expect to play $15-$20 for 2 pieces of chicken + waffles. It's no different than chicken and waffles I've had from Jersey, New York, Atlanta, or Oakland. The waffle is good, but chicken is definitely not the best fried chicken you can get around here. And no, it's not in the ghetto.[/QUOTE]

IDC how old this post this but you need to be shot. Roscoe's is fucking amazing. Number 2 scoe's with the gravy on the side:bouncy:

if anyone is even near burbank, ca or downtown la

burbank, ca - giamela submarine sandwhiches - order the pepper steak with everything (pickels,onions,tomatoes), its been there since i was 8 yrs old, everytime my family (mom/dad) travel down to glendale, they bring me 4 sandwhiches, even after the 6 hour drive up to the bay, they still taste great, corner of magnolia/n.victory right across the shell gas station

downtown la - grand central market - i forget the name but its located in the center of the market, and its busy all the time, get the "machaca gorditas" with everything on it, if u dont have a heart attack, you'll probably have one the next day when you come back

batman 1939, east los angeles rep. not sure where op is from but if you never ate at the hat, go there. best pastrami for cheapo price.

[quote name='aleraiders']if anyone is even near burbank, ca or downtown la

burbank, ca - giamela submarine sandwhiches - order the pepper steak with everything (pickels,onions,tomatoes), its been there since i was 8 yrs old, everytime my family (mom/dad) travel down to glendale, they bring me 4 sandwhiches, even after the 6 hour drive up to the bay, they still taste great, corner of magnolia/n.victory right across the shell gas station
[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for Giamela's. I work down the road on Buena Vista/Empire. My co-workers and I go there all the time, and I'm never disappointed. The sandwiches are HUGE. Bring cash, cause they don't take card. BUT, you can get a big sub for like $5. The pepper steak is the best. Pastrami is also really good.

-Noise

Taco's Al Pecas, awesome Taco Truck. It's in Boyle Heights, 7th and Soto, for those of you who don't know LA, it's in the hood.

Yeah, it's not that Pinks isn't tasty, and I love a hot dog covered in crap. But it just aint worth upwards of $6. Its a goddamn hot dog.

If you're into the idea of an authentic German style pub, with big ol sausages and great beers, check out The Red Lion Tavern.

I lived in LA all my life and have never been at Pink's.

I recommend Dino's in Koreatown, have the orange chicken with fries and Rite Aid for the ice cream.Places I never been to but want to visit are The Gridle Cafe for breakfast and Coolhaus ice cream truck for hipster ice cream sandwiches.

Cool, this thread again

For breakfast we usually eat at Jinky's in Sherman Oaks and there's always the newly opened White Rabbit Fusion Cafe in Northridge (yeah same guys with the truck)

For late night:

Sanam Luang in North Hollywood or Hollywood Blvd (Thai town)
Aroma Cafe in Encino

bringing this thread back from the dead so i can ask y'all to enlighten me some more!
any new places?

thanks in advance

On the West Side in Santa Monica I highly recommend a Godmother at Bay Cities. By far my favorite sandwich of all time. Just make sure to order online for pick up ahead of time, otherwise you'll have to pick a number and it will be a 20-30 minute wait.

For BBQ I recommend Baby Blues BBQ in Venice.

I'm a big fan of Versailles Cuban food. I always get the roasted garlic chicken, but anything in the mojo sauce is good.

You can get Kogi food anytime without having to find or wait for a food truck at the alibi room in Venice/Culver City. Overrated or not, it's cheap and good.

I like Father's Office, but the one in Culver City is a better option, the Santa Monica location barely has any seating. I also recommend the Counter for a good burger.

bringing some eastside love to this thread.

for tacos, zillion tacos sold is open 24 hours and has a godzilla perched on top of their building. they've also got some legit nachos. (http://twicsy.com/i/gax)

for a pub with a jaw-dropping beer list, Lucky Baldwin's in Old Town Pasadena.

fine dining, i'd recommend The Tap Room at the Langham Hotel. great food, great drinks, fantastic beers on tap selection.

for coffee/desert, i'd say that Tierra Mia cafe deserves a visit. great, friendly baristas with a lively menu and delicious pastries.

as far as food trucks go, catch kogi on one of their less-busy runs, check out the dumpling truck and the sweets truck, and Frysmith has to absolutely be on your to-try list. india jones and dosa truck make great food. also coolhaus is well-worth your attention.

also worth mentioning: kogi has a brick and mortar place called Chego that's worth checking out.

question: does anybody know of a vegetarian-friendly noodle house with decent beer prices?

i happened to come across a food truck called bowers last friday. Their sausage burrito is pretty damn good. Props to you if you can finish this.

bread's done
Back