EB Games now accepting returns/exchanges from website at store level

The Game

CAG Veteran
If any of you order a pre-played game and the condition is less than perfect and you want to return it, you no longer have to ship it back to the website. Just bring it to EB with the receipt you got with it and exchange it.

Also if you pre order a game and want to pick it up instead of waiting for it to be shipped you can now reserve a copy online and pick it up at your local store the day it comes out. Now THAT is cool. The website has alot more deals that the stores don't neccesarily get. Like the DVD edition of UT 2004 w/ headset? The website was taking pre orders for them up until 2 days before it launched but the stores had to stop taking orders about 10 or so days in advance.

Does this have any other effects? I like the convenience of ordering online and picking up or returning to a B&M. But one benefit to the way it was before, was that since the B&M and website were considered separate business entities, only people in a certain few states had to pay sales tax. If they have 'merged' the two companies [on paper], then anyone ordering online, from a state that has EB B&M's, will most likely have to pay sales tax.

If they start charging tax that would suck. Free shipping and no tax, can't beat that with a stick, and in store pick up isn't a good trade for no tax. Plus picking it up in store wastes gas, I'm a true cheapass at heart. ;)

[quote name='doomgaze_86']I sure hope it's. I've had 2 PO GC games that didn't work and sending it back was such a hassle..[/quote]

So did I. I finally got a working copy on the third try. But they charged me again for the game until I return the second bad copy. I ordered this game well over a month ago. :shock: If this is true, then it would certainly make me feel more comfortable with purchasing used games.

As for the Tax thing, that would seriously suck. Fortunately, I live in DC. There are no EBGames stores in DC.

Just to clarify--
EB [and other stores] don't actually *charge* tax. They *collect* sales tax for your government, in addition to the gas taxes, cigarette taxes, income taxes, social security taxes, FICA taxes, etc, all being collected by various agencies for the government, local, state, and fed.
So if comes about that EB.com is now collecting tax, don't necessarily hold that against them--just remember that on election day, and research your candidates. There are lots of issues that politicians run on, but very few of them affect *everyone* to the extent of taxation.

I called a couple of EB's around me...all said they would not be participating or had no idea what this was about. YMMV

When my ps2 went bad a few weeks ago, i called the store and they werent doing this...this may have changed...i hope, btw how long are the ebgames warrenty on games?

Looks like they might start collecting tax:
"EBgames.com is required to collect sales for orders shipped to states where sales taxes are applicable. EBgames.com does not charge sales tax on orders shipped to APO/FPO military addresses or the following states: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon.

The sales tax total displayed during checkout is an estimate. This estimated rate will be adjusted to the actual rate when payment is processed, therefore the confirmation receipt total may vary slightly from the total billed via the method of payment.

State and local sales tax rates are subject to change at any time. "

I think, last time I looked at that page, it said something like "Because EBGames and EB Stores are separate corporate identities, we are only required to collect taxes in [two states listed]."

So my cost to buy stuff at EBGames.com just went up 7 percent....

[quote name='EB']Why do you charge a $5.00 shipping and handling fee if I pick up the pre-ordered item after 48 hours of arrival notification?
We reserve the right to charge this fee due to the costs of shipping the product to the store. [/quote]

WHAT THE fuck!!!

'The costs of shipping the product to the store?' What a load of bollocks. You mean tossing it on a delivery truck, that's going there anyway, once a week or so? That's called OVERHEAD. And as long as the B&M and E-stores are now 'one', that should be taken into account in the prices. In fact, that should *lower* prices, because now they would ship product directly to stores where they *know* it will be picked up [or at least already has been paid for], rather than shipping it from Store A which doesn't sell sports games much to Store B where they do move a little quicker.

That's ridiculous.

So they are charging tax to everyone now? I guess I won't be the only one paying sales tax from EBGames.com anymore now (I live in PA)

I think the deal with online stores is that (in most states) you have to pay tax if you're buying it from in that state- aka if they ship it from your state.

I just called them using relay (www.att.com/relay, you type to a person who talks to them so you can stay on the internet).

They said that they had just started taking online returns. You will need the packing slip that comes with your order and there's no guarentee that they will have what you need (so best to call ahead). Good luck!

[quote name='gamefreak']I think the deal with online stores is that (in most states) you have to pay tax if you're buying it from in that state- aka if they ship it from your state.[/quote]

Or if they have a B&M in your state [and your state charges a sales tax.]

will this work on cases too? I got a preowned copy of pikmin from EBgames.com and it's mostly fine, but the case's spine is ripped and nearly split in two. So does htis mean I could exchange it for a mint case at the local EBX?

bread's done
Back