Is a gaming mouse necessary?

carn311

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Hey guys. I've been console gaming for years now and have recently come back to the pc. I was playing UTIII the other day and felt like my aim was slightly slow. I dont know if this is my monitors refresh rate or my mouse (stock optical dell mouse).

So, is it worth dropping $50 to pick up a gaming mouse? If so, can anyone recommend one?

I haven't played pc games in a few years (played Half-Life, HL2, Battlefield games, COD4, Counter-strike, etc) but I can say that the better mouse does make a difference. I had the stock mouse and then started using a new one:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=004

and can say it did help. Having the extra buttons to reload, crouch, etc really became handy. I am sure most of the people who play pc's games now have better ones since I bought mine probably 6+ yrs ago.

I'm not really sure what you mean by slow. Do you mean there is lag between your mouse movement and what you see on the monitor? I know that older wireless mouse will give a noticeable lag, but I can't say for certain if older optical mouse will do the same. If you're looking to get a gaming mouse anyway, Logitech MX518 or Logitech G5 are both surefire winners. Both perform very similarly, MX518 runs on optical, G5 is laser plus it has weigh adjustable cartridge. If I am to pick one, the $4 extra is worth it for the weigh adjustment on the G5.

[quote name='carn311']Hey guys. I've been console gaming for years now and have recently come back to the pc. I was playing UTIII the other day and felt like my aim was slightly slow. I dont know if this is my monitors refresh rate or my mouse (stock optical dell mouse).

So, is it worth dropping $50 to pick up a gaming mouse? If so, can anyone recommend one?[/QUOTE]

If you've been away from PC FPS's for a while, I would probably chalk it up to being a little out of practice with mouse and keyboard. You would probably see a greater improvement with practice than with a different mouse. Just a thought.

[quote name='_heretic']If you've been away from PC FPS's for a while, I would probably chalk it up to being a little out of practice with mouse and keyboard. You would probably see a greater improvement with practice than with a different mouse. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

So, is this this stuff about high dpi laser's increasing accuracy BS?

obviously you don't want to be using a totally crappy mouse, but I don't think you need to go all out on one. I'm perfectly fine with my Logitech Mini Optical Wired Mouse, which I actually prefer over the Logitech G5 I used to have, and should cost like $15 on ebay (the majority of Starcraft pro-gamers use that mouse, too :D ). Along with a mouse, think about getting a decent mouse pad. I was a skeptic before but I noticed a big difference when using a gaming mouse pad versus using no mouse pad at all or some cheap one.

The best reason for going with a gaming mouse is the extra buttons. It makes playing a lot more easier and more fun. Although I don't think you need to go with the super hardcore ones that have little weights built into them.

I've used and really enjoy both the mice SOSTrooper linked to (and I'm using the G5 right now). Gaming mice aren't completely necessary but they're really handy even for just general use. For keyboards on the other hand I always just use a basic model.

I've got a Logitech G5 and love it. It's extremely comfortable and you can tell the mouse is more accurate than generic mice in both gaming and non-gaming use. The customizable weights are likely overkill for all but the most hardcore of FPS fans though.

I was skeptical about gaming mice as well until I got the G5. After you get used to it you definitely notice the difference when using a generic mouse at your office.

Is it vital to PC gaming? No, but if you have a few extra dollars to spend and find a mouse you like the feel of it probably won't be the worst purchase of your lifetime.

I've been gaming with a Razer Diamondback Mouse Limited Edition (glows blue) for a while now, and I picked this sucker up at a cool ~$45 around late 2005, as an upgrade to a really generic Logitech Mouse.

And recently, I replaced a my crappy Staples-branded plastic mousepad for a Ratpadz XL, for around $15.

And to top it all off, I'm currently typing this post with a the second gen Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, the one that glows blue.

Are they worth it, short answer is yes, and mostly for non-gaming reasons. For one, I'm deathly obsessed with the color of blue LEDs, hence the common color motif of the mouse and keyboard. But aside from that, The Diamondback is significantly lighter than most of the mouse I've played with. The high DPI, which can be changed on the fly, is a great boon for me. I could switch from a high DPI setting, for FPS twitch-fests, to a lower DPI setting, for Strategy and dabbling a bit in Inkscape (and the occasional round of me picking Sniper in TF2).

Paired with a large mousepad with the right surface, and it feels that my equipment is doing some of the killing for me.

Now, that isn't to say that it all boils down to how much money you could chuck at a mouse+keyboard. Most of the time, it really boils down the individual skill.

My suggestion: Ditch that OEM crap, it's probably made from lack-luster components that would really hinder your grove, and it may even cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in a year or two. You don't need to go overboard at your purchase, and most importantly, buy what fits you. Go to a local BB and play around with some of the display models. Is the mouse too big for you hand? can you reach all the buttons without accidentally setting off others? Do you like the general feel and weight of the mouse? Do you even like the color?

Also, ditch the cloth mousepad, and move to smooth plastic, or if you're looking to splurge, smooth glass or even steel surfaces+special teflon feets. There are many companies that makes em, dozens of "name-brand products" in the market place, and there is a plethora of sites that has run reviews on them. Do you research and see one that fits.

As for a recommendation: if you have small hands, enjoy playing with the "claw/talon grip", or both, then you might like whatever is new with Razer, like the the new DeathAdder or even the Copperhead, which is similarly shaped to the Diamondback. If you have beefier hands, and play with a relaxed "straight finger/resting grip", then the Logitech G5, or even it's older mx518 line should suite you. But again, all recommendations are pretty moot if they don't serve your needs :p

I've got a Sidewinder and I adore it. It makes a huge difference if you're willing to pay for the difference. I actually love it so much that I wound up buying a Sidewinder keyboard and everything on my PC area has a red glow to it as a result.

[quote name='carn311']So, is this this stuff about high dpi laser's increasing accuracy BS?[/QUOTE]

No it's true, but unless you play online on super high resolutions on a big screen you may not see the difference. I have a Logitech laser mouse and I'm not sure it was worth the extra money. An optical mouse with good DPI is just fine.

Yes, but the mouse should be comfortable first, IMO. 800 - 1000 DPI is just about right (a good mouse should allow you to adjust the DPI), but comfort is just as important. I've been using a Steel Series Ikari Laser mouse for about two years, I love the thing. Most comfortable mouse I've ever used, and I've sampled most of the popular ones over the years. But that's just for my particular hand. Try stuff on.

I think a gaming mouse is important if you plan on gaming for longer sessions or are somewhat competitive. I purchased a Razer DeathAdder and love it. I'm not anywhere near pro comptetive and would be very much a casual but likes to compete gamer, but I love the extra buttons, feel and easy of a gaming mouse. It flows much better than a regular mouse, and with a gaming mousepad, it does make a difference - esp in FPS games if that's what you're into. The $50 spent isn't bad considering that's how much console controllers cost and a mouse is very important in terms of control in a PC game.

I've been using a Razor Diamondback I got refurbished about a year ago. While I haven't noticed any improvements over my old optical Logitech mouse while gaming, the little buttons on the side that correspond to forward and back when browsing are amazingly handy.

I thought they were all crap until I got my Diamondback 3G, now I'm a Razer fanboy. Not only did it sell me on gaming mice, but it sold me on wired mice as well---no wireless lag or dying batteries. The side buttons are awesome too, altho I think other companies have better layouts for those. I also like being able to change the sensitivity(DPI) of the mouse with the software or on the fly, it helps customize the mouse for you. I can't say enuff good about them since I got mine, but definitely do your homework, know what you want and why you want it before you plunk any money down, they can be expensive.

A gaming mouse also makes all /other/ computing tasks that much easier. At least in my experience. If I had my way I'd simply call them performance mice.

My personal preference is a WIRED MX 510. No longer sold, although the MX518 is almost identical. There's a lot of love for the Logitech G5, however the major minus for me is that the G5 has one less button than the 510 / 518. I'm still waiting for Logitech to update the 518, or do create a G5 with the missing button added back on.

Number of usable buttons outweighs weight adjustment, in my experience. Your mileage may vary.

The main difference between the MX series and G is that the MX's have rubber coating which mysteriously peels off over time; the G's don't seem to have a coating (I own both.)

By the way there are some very good deals on the G9 (Logitech's latest mouse) right now. Right here on amazon you can get it for only $30 after rebate with free shipping which is $20 lower than the lowest used price right now. You might as well buy a gaming mouse anyways with these prices.

mac-da-1.jpg

I'm using this mouse and man the comfort level is amazing, the side buttons are easy to use and I love the look of the mouse

Won't go back to a regular mouse...they just feel wrong

bread's done
Back