inFamous vs. Prototype

etschell

CAGiversary!
Both of these games seem very similar to me. I've played the inFamous demo and haven't played Protoype. But break it down for me, should which game should I get, if not both? What are the main differences?

i wanted to know this too because the footage ive seen of prototype they both seem like they play the same except for the diff in powers and abilities.

I'm getting both. InFamous is only teen and Prototype has a lot more gore to it. They do look very similar but I also heard that Prototype has a lot more of an open world like GTA.

Infamous plays much like a third person shooter. While Prototype seems to be another Hulk Ultimate Destruction(Which isn't a surprise considering the dame guys are making it).

I thought they were both the same game at one point. (briefly) I like InFamous becuase like Chibi mentioned it does play like a shooter.

I have played through InFamous and as it compares to what I have seen of Prototype their similarities are only superficial. You seem to be a lot more vulnerable in InFamous and you will probably find you self constantly retreating and strategizing in order to make it through the missions. On the other hand Prototype looks to be more like the Hulk games where you are basically on a rampage. I have read that there are strategic elements to some of the Prototype missions but they rely more on selecting the right power for the situation than the actual changes of approach you use in InFamous.

I personally ended up going with InFamous because it looked as though it would have more lasting value. I got through the old incredible hulk game in one rental and I have a feeling Prototype may meet the same fate.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']I'm was gonna pick up both (and LBP) at the Target b2g1 sale, but now that a lot of Prototype's reviews seem lackluster, I dunno. :whistle2:\[/QUOTE]

I was gonna wait til the inevitable target clearance to pick this game up. I was disappointed to hear the reviews (so far) giving it decent marks but not great marks. I haven't finished infamous so I can't really complain just yet. There are too many great games to play then to worry about this one right now.

InFamous is incredibly awesome. It's been a long time since I've played through a game more than once and not just tossed it aside and forgotten about it after I've beaten it.

I have yet to play Prototype, but I plan to very soon.

If you have problems installing Prototype, here is a solution:

http://games.ign.com/articles/993/993525p1.html

[quote name='IGN'] Prototype PS3 Has Installation Bughttp://games.ign.com/email.html

Type=count&ClientType=2&ASeg=&AMod=&AdID=132285&FlightID=117974&TargetID=7845&EntityDefResetFlag=0&Segments=1,255,264,348,1931,2092,2747,2863,3219,3494,3975,3982,4170,4602,4603,4608,4611,4678,4723,4834,4840,4917,4951,5015,5036,5188,5194,5195,5718,5906,5971,6102,6382,6398,6671,6701,6886,7017,7396,7752,7806,8587,9209,9360,9598,10327,10820,11071,11754,12248,12914,14992,15232,16052,16053,16251,17251,17348,17388,17422,17544,17545,17568&Targets=21242,6556,7012,6781,6505,8726,8617,18399,20976,21197,21610,21358,6507,21265,6918,19866,21205,7898,7845,10619,11505,13523,13750,19683,19684&Values=25,30,50,60,72,83,90,100,110,150,152,225,227,268,492,757,806,1015,1187,1405,1481,1503,1591,1822,2644,2661,2721,2920,3887,3932,4056,4295,4662,4799,6612,6744,8052,8145,8977,8978,44078,44079,44080,58049,59327,59609,59679&RawValues=&random=cepNwfj,bfdadlckIAujd

June 10, 2009 - Just pick up Prototype for Playstation 3? Having trouble with the installation? You may be affected by a bug found on the game.

Thankfully, Activision customer support was quick to act for those who need it.

Having trouble? Try this:

If your PS3 tells you that you have insufficient hard drive space to install, even if you do, you are going to need to change the available space on your hard drive by 700 MB. This can be done in a number of ways including the following:

- Installing or uninstalling another PS3 game that allows hard drive installation.
- Downloading game demos.
- Removing downloadable content.
- Adding / removing MP3's or movies from the hard drive.
- Etc.

Once you have made the necessary change to your Hard Drive space insert the Prototype disc back into your PS3 and it should now install.

The goal of this is to change the available space on the hard drive. You may need to try a combination of any of the above suggestions.​

Still not working? Well sit tight. There will be a patch released on PSN "shortly" to help resolve this issue.

Keep a lookout on IGN for our review of the PS3 version soon. [/QUOTE]

Have both. Prototype is okay, but inFamous is a lot better in almost all aspects. The one thing Prototype has is a lot of gore, theres none in inFamous for the most part.

I can see myself playing inFamous again over the next couple of years, but Prototype already screams to me: beat, trade, and don't bother with again.

I like both, but they are just 2 different games with the same idea. inFamous is slower and more isolated, where Prototype is faster and more populated.

I put a few hours into Prototype now and I'm probably half way through inFamous. After playing them both, I have to say that they are two very different games. Before playing either, I was thinking they were going to be very similar games. Many people were posting inFamous vs. Prototype articles. I'm really having a blast with both games. They both have their marked challenges, races from point to point, and collectible items hidden through out the map. They also both have experience points that you gain and use to buy abilities (weapon) and upgrades. but I want to point out the differences for those looking to get one or the other.

inFamous is only a PS3 game but the only game I can really compare it to is Crackdown on the Xbox 360. It is a shooter and platformer game all rolled into one. You spend a lot of time trying to get from place to place by climbing buildings, sliding across electrical lines, and jumping from platform to platform. Miss a jump and you may fall and have to start over. During boss fights or missions, you will be attacking the different enemies. You can shoot, melee attack, and block with a shield. You also have a cover system like Uncharted. This all works very well. The shooting sort of reminds me of Uncharted. It is in third person and I can move the reticule from the left side to the right for shooting around corners or off the top of buildings. You are charged with electricity but each electrical weapon has a real world counterpart. One skill is like a rocket launcher, another like a pistol, and even a grenade like electrical attack... zoom in for a sniper shot. You can shoot while on the move, from on top of a car or train, or while sliding across electrical lines. To me, shooting seems to handle a lot like Socom. It is very smooth. You have other electrical abilities that allow you to hover while jumping to get more distance through the air or put up a shield in front of you to block weapon attacks. The game is very smooth and plays very well. You don't drive any vehicles in this game, so everything is done on foot... which isn't bad when you are grinding just about every electrical line or railroad track on the map.

Prototype reminds me of the Hulk or Spiderman games. You don't really worry about figuring out how to get from point A to point B, you just do it. Hold down the right trigger (I have this one on the 360 so it may be R1 on the PS3) and you sprint. While sprinting you bash through, jump over, or climb up anything that gets in your way. Your character runs right up the sides of buildings. You gain skills and upgrades that allow you to run faster, jump higher, and even glide through the air. This is really a brutal game. Most of the time you are completing your missions by destroying any enemy that gets in your way. Slash, punch, pound, and rip through most enemies. You also have some stealth moves you can do by brutally absorbing another character. Absorb an military person and you can morph into them. You also gain mission information this way because you gain their thoughts that help move the story forward. You can also drive vehicles in this game like helicopters, tanks, and APCs after gaining those skills. When you are morphed into a military person, you can even use their weapons like Assault rifles or rocket launchers... only it uses a lock on system to shoot. You do a lot of fighting and need to watch your health. It will fill up on its own if you can hide or you can absorb people to gain health. Like I said, this is a brutal game but a whole lot of fun. You really feel the power in this game.

As for the over all play of the two games. In both games, you are trying to figure out what happened to your character. In inFamous, you can play good or evil, and there are different missions for both sides. I'm playing good now and am helping to clean up the fictional city. In Prototype, you are playing in a remake of New York. You are not doing anything for the city... just trying to figure out what happened to you and take out those in your way or who had anything to do with what happened to you. People are being infected in Prototype too, so you have more to deal with as the game progresses.

If you like expansive cities to explore, both games have this. Both have boss characters. You have special abilities in both games that came from some external source... electrically charged in inFamous and more of an organic infection in Prototype where you can morph into different weapons.

Hope this helps.

:)

[quote name='Thomas96']Prototype is the second game to have that installation bug... I can't remember what the first game was.[/QUOTE]

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

I finally played Prototype. Fun, but I like Infamous better. Both are worth playing though.

Also I had no installation problems :cool: What causes it?

Good stuff, GroovyBrian! I've played through the inFamous demo and loved it -- I too was wondering how it was different from Prototype. Thanks for the info!

long story short: buy inFamous, rent Prototype. inFamous has got crazy replay value, while Prototype gets tedious and monotonous after an hour or two.

I'd say rent both. I bought infamous and after playing through it once, I'm having trouble getting back into it for a second (this time Good) playthrough. Meh.

Prototpe was fun at first, but the gameplay just seems gimmiky after awhile, it has a solid story though, the way the game plays out it makes you WANT to track down all those random perople on the street who have memories of what happened to you.

[quote name='ChiefsFan21']I don't really like how people compare these games, I don't think they are all that similar.[/QUOTE]

You're right, the two games aren't similar at all. The only similarity I can think of is the open world aspect. However, most people who haven't played either or haven't gone through multiple videogame websites to read about the two games wouldn't know that. Yeah I don't like the comparison either, but what can we do?

just thought id let you guys know i got infamous last monday and am loving it. thanks for all the help!!! i will borrow prototype from my friend who has it for 360.

gotta say prototype is better, but neither of these two need to be bought right away because there is no multiplayer, get red faction guerrilla now and buy prototype and inFamous later this year when they get cheaper. THe only downside to prototype is the graphics, but i think gameplay more than evens that out, hey check out this link, its genius! http://www.destructoid.com/how-prototype-is-blatantly-better-than-infamous-135979.phtml

[quote name='disillusion386']You're right, the two games aren't similar at all. The only similarity I can think of is the open world aspect. However, most people who haven't played either or haven't gone through multiple videogame websites to read about the two games wouldn't know that. Yeah I don't like the comparison either, but what can we do?[/QUOTE]

Not similar at all? The genral plot lines are exactly the same in both games. Guy causes a massive catastrophic event witch causes the city to be Quarantined, and inbunes said guy with a massive amount of power.

Dilemma:

I rented inFamous a week or so ago - I beat it twice got all the trophies except for two (which I could easily get). I had to return it before I got the last two trophies. Yesterday, Sony sent me inFamous in the mail for free (among other things) and now I have an unopened copy of inFamous... So do I:
-open the game, get the trophies ect and save it for my library of titles (I'm not one to trade in games) ?
-trade it/sell ((try to sell for about 45+) trade for prototype?)?

Hmmm...

I think InFamous is better - better atmosphere. I don't have one of both though, but if I would go to the store right now and I had to choose, I would buy InFamous.

If you've already beaten Infamous twice and don't plan to go back to it after those trophies, then you might as well sell it. Infamous is absolutely a better game than Prototype, but if you're done with it, then go for it. Prototype is still fun and worth playing.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Dilemma:

I rented inFamous a week or so ago - I beat it twice got all the trophies except for two (which I could easily get). I had to return it before I got the last two trophies. Yesterday, Sony sent me inFamous in the mail for free (among other things) and now I have an unopened copy of inFamous... So do I:
-open the game, get the trophies ect and save it for my library of titles (I'm not one to trade in games) ?
-trade it/sell ((try to sell for about 45+) trade for prototype?)?

Hmmm...[/QUOTE]

Sell it. Rent it for 5 bucks or whatever it is now and get the last two trophies. Put the other 40 dollars towards a new game. Infamous is a very good game but I cannot picture someone playing it more than 2 times (1 Good, 1 Bad) unless it comes out with some dlc.

Of course the guy saying how much better Prototype is and linking the inFamous/Prototype article appears to be Xbox fanboy who doesn't have a real option here. Nice. It's fine to like one over the other, but when you just have 360, you don't get much say in this.

Seems like none of the Destructoid guys were big on infamous. Most places say both are worth while, with Infamous getting a slight edge. I picked up Infamous first because the power of electricity appealed to me more then the power to absorb people. Seems a tad gross to me.

I just beat inFamous and loved it. Will play through again for sure. I think the game is pretty fantastic and if you only own a PS3, this is definitely one of "the" games to play.

I was on the fence about Prototype, but I think I will end up buying it. I will just wait until I can find it at a really, really great price. A friend of mine who has 360 enjoyed it pretty well.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Of course the guy saying how much better Prototype is and linking the inFamous/Prototype article appears to be Xbox fanboy who doesn't have a real option here. Nice. It's fine to like one over the other, but when you just have 360, you don't get much say in this.

Seems like none of the Destructoid guys were big on infamous. Most places say both are worth while, with Infamous getting a slight edge. I picked up Infamous first because the power of electricity appealed to me more then the power to absorb people. Seems a tad gross to me.

I just beat inFamous and loved it. Will play through again for sure. I think the game is pretty fantastic and if you only own a PS3, this is definitely one of "the" games to play.

I was on the fence about Prototype, but I think I will end up buying it. I will just wait until I can find it at a really, really great price. A friend of mine who has 360 enjoyed it pretty well.[/QUOTE]
hey i never said infamous is bad, i like them both but i liked prototype and the only reason i even linked to that page is because its probably one of the funniest things ive ever read mostly cause its just stupidity by the way i do have a PS3 and i still have infamous rented.

[quote name='RobMinhas']hey i never said infamous is bad, i like them both but i liked prototype and the only reason i even linked to that page is because its probably one of the funniest things ive ever read mostly cause its just stupidity by the way i do have a PS3 and i still have infamous rented.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. And it was funny.

I want both games, but I'm pretty sure that Prototype will drop in price much faster than inFamous... so you might as well pick up inFamous first and pick up Prototype when it price drops in a couple of months.

i own have finished both of them and i personally like inFamous more. prototype has certain frustrating parts which inFamous does not. inFamous also has more replay value

Been having lots of fun with inFamous. The game seems to get better as I get further in. Waited on Prototype figuring like others I'd just pick it up used or once it goes on sale.

up in canada best buy has it for like 45 dollars, so i anticipate a price drop for you states folks or at least a sale for prototype, but infamous is gonna be like uncharted 60 bucks for a long, long time

bread's done
Back