Gravity Crash - Gravitar-style game for PSN - Out Now - $9.99 - 1/21: 50% off on PSN!

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/990/990393p1.html

Do you like 2D graphics of the vector kind? You know, the old line-basics images from the good old days of the early 1980's? If that answer is yes, then Gravity Crash is for you.

The game plays similarly to a 2D, dual-analog stick shooter (think Super Stardust HD), but mixed with Lunar Commander. The left analog stick moves you, but movement requires firing your thrusters and you have limited fuel. You also have gravity pulling you downward at all times, so you need to manage engine use with your desire to live.

gravity-crash-20090603000416013.jpg

You also have a shield that you can use to block incoming enemy fire or protect yourself from direct impact when you hit a wall. Of course, the shield is also limited, so you can't just keep it on the whole time. In early levels, getting near a wall will auto-fire your shield to protect you, but you'll have to do it yourself later in the game.

The game will ship with 30 levels, and the goals that you're trying to accomplish change level to level. In one stage, you might need to destroy all of a certain type of enemy (like a turret, for instance), while in another you might need to collect a bunch of floating isotopes.

It's a simple setup, but the concept is fun. What's cool is that the game includes a complete level editor that allows you to make and share your own creations. From what I gathered of the short demo on this aspect, you pick a painting shape and then can use that as a brush, similar to how the same concept works in LittleBigPlanet. Then you can pick items and such and lay them out however you please.

gravity-crash-20090603000414231.jpg

Again, the game is simple, but I think it could be fine if the goals and level design stays interesting.
There's a trailer on PSN that shows it off in motion.

Great news, this will be a day one purchase for me. Ironically, I almost bought Geometry War Galaxies today but now I am glad I didn't since this is coming out this week.

Picked this up a couple of days ago and it's excellent. If you're into old school arcade stuff and liked Asteroids, Gravitar, Oids and Thrust then this is for you. I played thru the whole thing but I suspect I missed big chunks of stuff in the last few levels. I will be playing the levels individually now to figure out where I missed things before trying a full run thru again.

I suspect the asteroids style controls work better for this game than the dual stick style as the game isn't really about speed, it's about precision.

I just bought this game. I love it. The graphics and the music really nail a particular feeling: it's like an HD vector graphics game! The physics are great too; bullets slow down when they hit the water and other physics stuff happens that I enjoy!

Also, I really like how there isn't a way to retry a level. I am the kind of person that would retry because of the tiniest mistake, but the game only allows you to push forward—you reset your score if you get game over, but you continue from where you died—or you forfeit your campaign, which means that you have to start over from the beginning. This means that I am always moving forward and never stopping and restarting because of some stupid mistake. Brilliant!

I'm nearing the end as I finish up the fourth system and it's really good. It's also harder than I expected, especially the cheap third boss that rushes at you when he can see you in this fairly small figure eight area. I like the depth of enemies they have as the large ships drop from the sky if you take out their engine, but it doesn't do much damage to the stuff it falls on. The soundtrack is great.

I had to start over in my campaign once because it asks if you want to continue after you lose all of your lives and if you don't, you forfeit that campaign and have to stat over from the beginning the next time.

[quote name='Serpentor']Just a quick question, probably posted in the general PSN store thread, but still...

This game has trophies yes?[/QUOTE]
20 of em. Mostly bronze, 3 hidden, 1 silver.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/01/gravity-crash-ps3-patch-sale-and-psp-update/

The v1.02 update, which will be released soon, also features the following changes and improvements:
  • More intuitive voting for user created levels
  • Improved menu navigation
  • Fixes to sound fx playback
  • Hi-scores can no longer be posted from the Trial version
  • The hidden level “Umbria” is now correctly unlocked in the Campaign
  • Polish language now available

bread's done
Back