* * * * * 1 votes

The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

#3661 FoxyPie   Better Than You CAGiversary!   16593 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:10 PM

What about IPS?  I see a lot of people say stuff about IPS.  Are those better?  

Interested in multiplayer and co-op events on Steam?  Then join Spoderbro and Foxbro's Multiplayer and Bro-Op Steam group!  Add me on Steam for an invite:  http://steamcommunit...d/cheaplikeafox

Upcoming events include:  Verdun, The Division Beta, Fistful of Frags, Killing Floor, 7 Days to Die, Crash Drive 2, Hearthstone, Gas Guzzlers Extreme, Blockstorm

#3662 pbnate88   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   508 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:54 AM

Hey guys this will be a rookie question but does a computer monitor make that much of a difference in the quality of a build? I just received my brand new desktop with, well I know it has an i3 a PGW PSU and a MSI R9 380 graphics card which I thought all had decent reviews. Problem is even browsing here I feel like the display is a bit off. The monitor i'm assuming is an AOC Montior/TV that's around 5 or maybe longer years old although running an HDMI cable.

Just a bit dissapointed in the graphics and figure a monitor is key but just want to make sure.

Thank you, and as you can tell I don't know too much about these things

#3663 FoxyPie   Better Than You CAGiversary!   16593 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:42 PM

Hey guys this will be a rookie question but does a computer monitor make that much of a difference in the quality of a build? I just received my brand new desktop with, well I know it has an i3 a PGW PSU and a MSI R9 380 graphics card which I thought all had decent reviews. Problem is even browsing here I feel like the display is a bit off. The monitor i'm assuming is an AOC Montior/TV that's around 5 or maybe longer years old although running an HDMI cable.

Just a bit dissapointed in the graphics and figure a monitor is key but just want to make sure.

Thank you, and as you can tell I don't know too much about these things

It might be more due to your settings than anything else.  Look up the monitor online to find what's the maximum resolution it can support.  Then go to your display settings and make sure it is set to that resolution.  Also make sure you have the latest version of your GFX card driver running.  

Interested in multiplayer and co-op events on Steam?  Then join Spoderbro and Foxbro's Multiplayer and Bro-Op Steam group!  Add me on Steam for an invite:  http://steamcommunit...d/cheaplikeafox

Upcoming events include:  Verdun, The Division Beta, Fistful of Frags, Killing Floor, 7 Days to Die, Crash Drive 2, Hearthstone, Gas Guzzlers Extreme, Blockstorm

#3664 YBX87   CAGiversary! Banned   14405 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:17 AM

fox, if u want cheap monitor, there will be a $99.99 24 inch samsung monitor on black friday at staples

#3665 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   20599 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:40 PM

Does anyone know of a way to connect an Xbox 1 controller wirelessly to Windows 7? 

MS released a new adapter, but it only works with Win 10... which I have no interest in. And I can't find any actual info as to whether or not the old 360 Wireless adapter works with the Xbox 1 controllers. 

Kinda sucks playing with USB cable, since it just seems to get in the way all the time. And the Xbox 1 controller just feels so much better than the 360 controller, and has a better D-pad. 

Currently playing: 

:pc: Fallout 4 - :) 

fyreboltx.png

║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#3666 Evrae  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:19 PM

What about IPS?  I see a lot of people say stuff about IPS.  Are those better?  

IPS is favored in nearly all cases. It helps most with color and viewing angles, so you don't have to be looking at the screen at a perfect angle to get the best picture.

icesig.png

A podcast for JRPG enthusiasts...

icicledisaster.com - twitter - iTunes

#3667 McFryyyyyy   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3295 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:10 AM

Hi I was wondering if one of you fine people could help me with my question. I am very much a new about building so I wanted to try just upgrading first. 

I recently bought this:
http://www.amazon.co...sk_ql_qh_dp_hza

and wanted to upgrade the Power supply and graphics card to these 2 respectively I was wondering if I was out of my mind or if I could get a recommendation if neither would work 

GPU:

http://www.amazon.co...TGCU55436&psc=1

Power supply:

http://www.amazon.co...6C4KH0UI1&psc=1

Thanks in advance

76561198023547234.png

PSN: Kamagii

Xbox: McFryyy

#3668 elessar123  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:32 AM

You are probably out of your mind. Chances are, there won't be space to put a discreet video card. That PSU is also overpowered for that setup, even with the 960.

Edit: Looking at the customer photo, it looks like it actually has room for the video card. You could probably do it.

elessar123.pnggpOYCAm.jpg

#3669 McFryyyyyy   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3295 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:26 AM

Elessar should I take measurements of the inside of my computer prior to buying them. I know the PSU is overpowered as I think I read you only need 500 Watts and if you get one that is over 80 Bronze I should be fine. Most people I talked to said your power supply is the last thing you should skimp on so I figure its something I could also take to my next build down the road which was why my choice was this one.

76561198023547234.png

#3670 elessar123  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:37 PM

Yes, I would measure it. Or buy it and return if it doesn't work. It probably will though.

Sometimes, pre-build cases will have PSU sizes that aren't normal, or mounting holes that aren't where they usually are (like a lot of older HP desktops). I don't think it's the case for you here.

Not skimping on the power supply doesn't mean get a 1000W supply. Any quality one that's enough for your system is fine. In your case, 500W or 650W would both already be plenty. Do go for modular if possible, cause it looks like there's not good cable management in the case.

#3671 McFryyyyyy   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3295 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:58 PM

Cool thanks as always ellesar.

76561198023547234.png

#3672 FoxyPie   Better Than You CAGiversary!   16593 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:04 PM

I'm also in need of upgrading my PSU.  I'm thinking a 750W or maybe a 650W one.  One online PSU calculator said I needed at least 500W.  Another said 750W.  I have a 500W one right now and it is not enough.  I recently added more fans to my set up and more drives so I think that's why.  I had to disconnect some stuff to get it going.  What's the best I could get for around $50?  I saw some Thermaltake ones, but they seem to get mixed reviews. 

#3673 McFryyyyyy   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3295 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:23 AM

So I did the upgrade (Thanks Elessar) so I had a question. What software does everyone use to make sure your PC is running at a good temp? 

76561198023547234.png

#3674 elessar123  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:41 AM

None. I used to, and try to lower it by a couple degree C when it runs above like 43-45C, but I don't care that much any more.

Edit: On a whim, I went to check. GPU 37C, System 24C, CPU 30C... yea, I'll continue to not care about monitoring.

#3675 YBX87   CAGiversary! Banned   14405 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:35 PM

So I did the upgrade (Thanks Elessar) so I had a question. What software does everyone use to make sure your PC is running at a good temp?

coretemp and HWmonitor is one of the fews, i can think of. unless u plan to overclock ur pc. i doubt ur pc will be running hot enough to cause damages or issues on stock settings.

if u want more help with it, go to overclock.net forum, and seek it

#3676 evilw0n   Deals & Games CAGiversary!   1720 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:32 AM

Does anyone know of a way to connect an Xbox 1 controller wirelessly to Windows 7? 

MS released a new adapter, but it only works with Win 10... which I have no interest in. And I can't find any actual info as to whether or not the old 360 Wireless adapter works with the Xbox 1 controllers. 

Kinda sucks playing with USB cable, since it just seems to get in the way all the time. And the Xbox 1 controller just feels so much better than the 360 controller, and has a better D-pad. 

Sorry, if I would have seen this I would have told you that you were crap out of luck.  Win 10 only.  Need to get a 360 controller for previous versions.

#3677 evilw0n   Deals & Games CAGiversary!   1720 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:43 AM

Alright, after some "fun" issues.....I realized it has been a while since I built a new system.  Running a i7-860 with a H55 MB and my performance is starting to suffer some.  I realized that upgrading to SSD has suffered simply due to my motherboard.  While a lot faster, there are a lot of things that could be better so here we go....

Going with a Skylake processor....while I really do not have the patience to mess with overclocking any more, I'll consider doing it if it is not too much of a headache.  Simply have too many other things to do to really mess with this.

i5-6500 is what I am thinking - good price / performance.  Someone feel free to chime in otherwise.

I'll be getting 16GB of RAM, preferably in an 2x8 configuration since I do have some side projects where I utilize VMs and the memory helps.

The motherboard is where I am stuck.  I am not a big fan of SLI as I would probably just get better video card.  H170 or Z170 is my main question.

Case - Mini or Mid tower only.  Smaller is better but I do not necessarily need to do Mini-ITX.

No graphics card needed for now as I have a GTX 970.  However I would like a power supply capable of handling a 980/980ti mainly for triple monitor gaming.  The 970 is lacking at 5760x1080 but is awesome if I am just doing gaming at regular 1080. 

I'll get a SSD for booting and games while I will probably throw everything else (video, VMs, etc...) onto one of the three or four 1-2 TB drives I have laying around.

Open to any and all ideas as long as they involve a skylake processor.  Price for performance is my main concern.

#3678 AceFan84   KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!! CAGiversary!   1768 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:30 AM

Sorry, if I would have seen this I would have told you that you were crap out of luck.  Win 10 only.  Need to get a 360 controller for previous versions.

Microsoft released updated drivers a month ago so you can use a Xbox One controller wirelessly on Windows 7 now just fine. I played about 40 hours of Fallout 4 like that.

fs.png
67096.png

#3679 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   20599 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

Microsoft released updated drivers a month ago so you can use a Xbox One controller wirelessly on Windows 7 now just fine. I played about 40 hours of Fallout 4 like that.

Yeah, just found this out a few weeks ago and immediately ordered the adapter. Works great, no issues whatsoever. 

I'm wondering, does that adapter also work with Xbox 360 controllers? B/c if it does, that would be nice for multiplayer and whatnot for emulators. I'd try it myself but my 360 stuff is at my parents. 

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#3680 AceFan84   KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!! CAGiversary!   1768 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:57 PM

Yeah, just found this out a few weeks ago and immediately ordered the adapter. Works great, no issues whatsoever. 

I'm wondering, does that adapter also work with Xbox 360 controllers? B/c if it does, that would be nice for multiplayer and whatnot for emulators. I'd try it myself but my 360 stuff is at my parents.

I just looked this up yesterday actually and no it doesn't unfortunately. If you want to use 360 controllers you need the older adapter and if you want to use One controllers you need the new adapter.

fs.png
67096.png

#3681 elessar123  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

i5-6500 is what I am thinking - good price / performance.  Someone feel free to chime in otherwise.

I'll be getting 16GB of RAM, preferably in an 2x8 configuration since I do have some side projects where I utilize VMs and the memory helps.

The motherboard is where I am stuck.  I am not a big fan of SLI as I would probably just get better video card.  H170 or Z170 is my main question.

Case - Mini or Mid tower only.  Smaller is better but I do not necessarily need to do Mini-ITX.

No graphics card needed for now as I have a GTX 970.  However I would like a power supply capable of handling a 980/980ti mainly for triple monitor gaming.  The 970 is lacking at 5760x1080 but is awesome if I am just doing gaming at regular 1080. 

I'll get a SSD for booting and games while I will probably throw everything else (video, VMs, etc...) onto one of the three or four 1-2 TB drives I have laying around.

Open to any and all ideas as long as they involve a skylake processor.  Price for performance is my main concern.

If I were you, I'd go with the H170 and i5-6600. It's very little money going from the 6500 to 6600, and you basically get the best non-overclockable i5. Since you're not getting a K chip, the biggest benefit of Z170 goes out the window. There is the 20x PCIe, but I have no idea if anything will use that in the near future.

As long as RAM is cheap, go with 2x8 GB.

Don't go for Mini-ITX. That's my biggest regret with my fiancee's build. The cooling is piss poor, so the fans kick up really quickly. And that's with just a 660. Can't really add more fans without removing a hard drive. Great for entertainment centers, but not if you stick a high range video card in.

Also, GeForce Pascal cards should be arriving this year. I'd wait on the 980 if you can. Especially since you have a 970 already. Might be cheaper in the short term to SLI another 970, but that's up to you. I personally wouldn't.

Edit: Not here or there, but I think I'll build my next PC after Cannonlake/Pascal are both out.

#3682 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   20599 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

I just looked this up yesterday actually and no it doesn't unfortunately. If you want to use 360 controllers you need the older adapter and if you want to use One controllers you need the new adapter.

Ah.. that's some weak shit right there. Thanks for saving me the trouble. 

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#3683 evilw0n   Deals & Games CAGiversary!   1720 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

Went ATX, 16GB Ram, z170 board (trying ASRock as the price was right & it has USB 3.1), and the i5-6500.  Didn't see the cost justification for 100Mhz bump for $30 as I would've tried justifying the additional $35 for the k.  That $65 just about paid for the RAM or the power supply.  

#3684 Nephilim_BC  

Nephilim_BC

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

This is the thread ive been looking for. Gonna build a my first pc after I get my income tax so hopefully this helps.

#3685 detectiveconan16   Limoncello Freshness CAGiversary!   6419 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:18 PM

Heard that if you're going to upgrade your computer with intel's fancy new processors, you're gonna need to use Windows 10. https://blogs.window...con-innovation/

What's with all the 16GB ram builds? I've read that most computers top out at 8GB, unless one's gonna go full hog with the pricey cards.

Batsugunner.png

#3686 evilw0n   Deals & Games CAGiversary!   1720 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

Heard that if you're going to upgrade your computer with intel's fancy new processors, you're gonna need to use Windows 10. https://blogs.window...con-innovation/

What's with all the 16GB ram builds? I've read that most computers top out at 8GB, unless one's gonna go full hog with the pricey cards.

I believe they are not enforcing that for a while yet..was it mid-year 2016 or 2017?

You ask why 16GB?  Cards rarely have anything to do with it.  64-bit processors can address far more and there are several reasons such as:

Running virtual machines

Running multiple applications at the same time

Less page swapping

Programmers should (* by that) be getting better and be able to utilize more of the RAM since all processors going forward will be 64 bit (or more)

If you are just surfing the web and playing a few games, 8GB will probably do you fine.  However the newer boards will support (most and generally here)  32GB or 64GB of RAM.  Plus, RAM is still relatively cheap, even most of the DDR4 stuff.

#3687 encendido5   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   3816 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:19 PM

How are the Seagate HD's these days?  I have a failing 320gb drive on my secondary PC that I need to replace.  Newegg has a 1TB for $45 I was going to get, but I thought I heard Seagate drives aren't very reliable.  

http://www.newegg.co...8-840-_-Product

fs_overall.png

#3688 thenexus6   more human than human CAGiversary!   2170 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

thenexus6

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:06 PM

Looking into building my first PC, will not be used for latest releases or expect crazy stats.I will play some older games, indie / early access games. Shogun Total War, Contagion, Valve stuff etc.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/hsYXTW

How does this look? There is a compatibility notes of "some AMD A88X chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Kaveri CPUs." I don't know what this means...

I'd like to buy the Fractal Core 1000 case which is £29 + Windows 10.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

752870.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/the_nexus6

#3689 indef  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:07 PM

Looking into building my first PC, will not be used for latest releases or expect crazy stats.I will play some older games, indie / early access games. Shogun Total War, Contagion, Valve stuff etc.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/hsYXTW

How does this look? There is a compatibility notes of "some AMD A88X chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Kaveri CPUs." I don't know what this means...

I'd like to buy the Fractal Core 1000 case which is £29 + Windows 10.

I don't know much about AMD processor/MBs, but there is a discussion on that same site that lists the BIOS issue, along with some links to other people who ran into that problem.

Would definitely recommend bumping that GPU up to the 750ti at minimum for any type of gaming.  Those *40 series cards are a waste of everything.

#3690 thenexus6   more human than human CAGiversary!   2170 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

thenexus6

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:40 PM

I don't know much about AMD processor/MBs, but there is a discussion on that same site that lists the BIOS issue, along with some links to other people who ran into that problem.

Would definitely recommend bumping that GPU up to the 750ti at minimum for any type of gaming.  Those *40 series cards are a waste of everything.

Someone built this on Neogaf for me to consider, http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ptmxnQ

I have looked into the parts online and they seem pretty solid. 

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

752870.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/the_nexus6