- - - - -

Thomas Kinkade Paintings - Proof that many people have bad taste

Poll: Do you like Thomas Kinkade Paintings?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you like Thomas Kinkade Paintings?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 MrBadExample   Puny humans... CAGiversary!   2698 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

MrBadExample

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:20 PM

I have one thing to say to Thomas Kinkade...Norman Rockwell pwns you.

I think this is the first time Norman Rockwell has pwned anything.

#32 epobirs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8514 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:44 PM

THe only good thing I can think to say about Kinkade's stuff is it's less obnoxious than the Keene paintings of big eyed sad things.
http://www.keane-eyes.com/

And Hummels, I'd gladly never see one again.

The latest entry in the sclock-art business, the presence of Kinkade prints ina home always create the impression of the resident having looted a motel room before leaving in the morning.

#33 imamario02   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   590 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

imamario02

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:49 PM

Here's what I've got on my wall.
Probably won't appeal to Kinkade-lovers.

Posted Image

Look's similar to Dali, awesome painter

#34 MrBadExample   Puny humans... CAGiversary!   2698 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

MrBadExample

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:36 PM

Look's similar to Dali, awesome painter

There's a good reason for that... :wink:

#35 nevposey   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   883 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

nevposey

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:57 PM

I have never seen any of his work in anyone's home. From what I saw from the site, it's ok, but I've seen better out there. Or, at least there are other things I'd rather put up in my house. It's not bad.

#36 Xevious   Most Damned CAG Evar CAGiversary!   8919 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:49 PM

I have never seen any of his work in anyone's home.

Consider yourself lucky...

#37 Xevious   Most Damned CAG Evar CAGiversary!   8919 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:03 PM

FBI investigates popular artist Thomas Kinkade, newspaper reports

August 30, 2006 - 12:35

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The FBI is investigating artist Thomas Kinkade and company executives on allegations they fraudulently induced investors to open galleries, then ruined them financially, a newspaper reported.
Relying on information from former Kinkade dealers contacted by federal agents, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday that the FBI is focusing on issues raised in litigation brought by at least six former Thomas Kinkade Signature Gallery owners.

At least 10 former dealers nationwide have alleged in arbitration claims that the "Painter of Light" - a California native beloved by some but reviled by the art establishment - exploited his Christianity to persuade people to invest in the galleries, which sell only Kinkade's work.

After they had invested tens of thousands of dollars each, the ex-owners said, the company's policies drove them out of business. They say they were saddled with limited-edition prints no one wanted to buy, forced to open stores in inappropriate venues and undercut by discount galleries peddling the same items at prices they could not match.

Some also say Kinkade - who claims to be the most widely collected living U.S. artist - schemed to devalue his public company, Media Arts Group Inc., so he could buy it on the cheap. In 2004, Kinkade and other investors paid $32.7 million to take Media Arts Group private, changing its name to Thomas Kinkade Co.

"These dealers became investors primarily because they were believers in faith, love, family and God, and the paintings reflect those values," said Joseph Ejbeh, an attorney who tried an arbitration case that began in San Francisco in December 2004.

Kinkade Co. spokesman Jim Bryant said the company was unaware of an FBI investigation.

"We assert that there are no legitimate grounds for a federal investigation of any kind," Bryant said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press.

FBI agent Brian Wickham did not return a phone call Tuesday from the AP.
Kinkade's paintings typically include tranquil scenes of country gardens, churches, streams and lighthouses in dewy morning light. Many contain images from Bible passages.

Roughly 10 million Americans have a Kinkade painting at home. The wall hangings and spin-off products are said to earn $100 million US a year.

#38 SIUfan   Amber Lamps, get dem CAGiversary!   811 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:17 PM

If anyone pays over $500 bucks a pop for these paintings you should feel like a dumbass. If you are insulted, I do not appologize, you should feel stupid, realize you made an incredibly bogus investment, and move on.

#39 shieryda   Opus Eponymous CAGiversary!   9251 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:03 PM

But they're safe. In other words, perfect for the Mormon crowd. Older generation. Young kids. You won't find anything offensive in these paintings.

I find his use of color and lighting to be offensive. But he's being offensive in the name of the Lord!

#40 sarausagi   Concerto in Cute Major CAGiversary!   1807 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

40 year old, Christian, white women [no offense, but I've never met anyone but old aging white women..especially divorced ones..who like his paintings]

Thankfully, he'll lose his appeal as our generation becomes the future.

#41 Maklershed   Feed me a stray cat CAGiversary!   34088 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

I'd like to see him paint a unicorn (or Elvis) in space on a black velvet canvas

#42 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22420 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

I couldn't agree with you more, the man is a talentless hack. His paintings sort of make me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

I totally agree - there's nothing really artistic about his work other than he can paint a semi-pretty picture. Maybe there's something wrong with me but I don't feel warm and fuzzy when I look at them - I feel a little cold and dead inside because his paintings have no soul.

#43 Graystone   ` CAGiversary!   15662 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:30 PM

All that stuff is made from people that stay at home all day. IMO his stuff is aimed at eldery women. Who have 30 cats

#44 AlbinoNinja   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2607 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

AlbinoNinja

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:59 AM

It's too rough looking for my tastes: he seems to contrast colors a lot and shows more detail than I like. IMO in landscapes, less detail can be more soothing, since it allows for more immersion as you paint in the tiny details. That is why some people feel it looks empty and emotionless.

Then again, what do i know? I'm just an idiot teenager who occasionally catches a Joy of Painting rerun and has some Black and White pictures in my room

#45 PinheadsNailGun  

PinheadsNailGun

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:12 AM

I don't really care one way or another. Though in terms of prints that are made available in everything, I prefer Mort Kunstler

http://www.mortkunst...ml?id=26&step=2

#46 cochesecochese   corrompido e imoral CAGiversary!   4894 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

cochesecochese

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:26 AM

Absolute and total shite. You will never see that hack's handiwork hanging in a respected gallery and with good reason. He's a talented craftsman but an artist he is not. If you think he's a good artist, then you're a lifer in the Illiterati. Sory.

#47 jngx80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   952 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:46 AM

The paintings are good but I wouldn't want to own any piece. I agree that there's too much detail and it doesn't fit the subject matter; imo landscapes shouldn't be that detailed. It feels unrealistic.

Is he really known as the master of light? If you guys want to see a real master do a search on edward hopper. Love his stuff - it's so peaceful, lonely, and everything looks so pure.

#48 TurkeyOnRye   Hey? Is this velvet? CAGiversary!   1447 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

TurkeyOnRye

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:04 AM

Bbbbbbut, he is the "Master of Light" :fridge:

Yeah, anyone who gives himself the nickname "the Painter of Light" is a real douche ass.

Norman Rockwell. Now there's a real painter. Love his stuff.

#49 shieryda   Opus Eponymous CAGiversary!   9251 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

Bob Ross and his "happy little" trees and clouds reign supreme.