Sony 16gb Memory Stick Pro Duo - $73 shipped-Amazon is seller

how bad are the fakes? i bought one that "was 100% legit" and all that, got it and "guarantee" was spelled wrong on the "sony" package, and the words on the mem. stick were not lined up right so, and then the guy was no longer a member of ebay by the time i got it and i didnt think about filing a complaint on paypal, and its been too long now. i want to use it, but not if its going to erase stuff and what-not

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']how bad are the fakes? i bought one that "was 100% legit" and all that, got it and "guarantee" was spelled wrong on the "sony" package, and the words on the mem. stick were not lined up right so, and then the guy was no longer a member of ebay by the time i got it and i didnt think about filing a complaint on paypal, and its been too long now. i want to use it, but not if its going to erase stuff and what-not[/QUOTE]

I believe in most cases the fakes don't allow you to utilize as much space, die early and/or don't support MagicGate. This doesn't apply to all the fakes as far as I know, but that's all I can tell you.

I think the fake ones are also slower.

If you're not needing MagicGate stuff, take a look at microSD to Memory Stick Pro. There's an adapter floating around on Amazon and other sites; I got 16GB for about $40 a few months back.

If what you have on the stick is not a big deal to you, then the fake is just going to be slower, less capacity, not genuine, and may die sooner for no reason at all.

If the data on the stick is important to you, back it up often and wait for it to break, or just get a genuine one.

I am not a big fan of those microSD adapters either, loading time is longer I have read and you are just hodge podging something together, not for me.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']how bad are the fakes? i bought one that "was 100% legit" and all that, got it and "guarantee" was spelled wrong on the "sony" package, and the words on the mem. stick were not lined up right so, and then the guy was no longer a member of ebay by the time i got it and i didnt think about filing a complaint on paypal, and its been too long now. i want to use it, but not if its going to erase stuff and what-not[/QUOTE]

I bought a "non-genuine" 16gb early last year for about $50 and a 8gb just a few months ago from DX for $19. No complaints at all. Everything runs smoothly and perfectly. Runs just fine when compared to a genuine.

Of course though, it all depends from which retailer you buy it from.

I'm guessing the deal is on due to the psp go.
151l1259.jpg

A friend of mine has the photofast microSD adapter and two 16gig microSD cards.

The adapater saves across both of them. So if you start off with two microSD cards, you can't pull one out and expect the one thats left to function ok by itself. That is unless you back up the data, format the card and copy information back.

If you are going to leave it in place it will be fine. Albit a bit slow when you search for stuff on the media crossbar. Also, the adapater is a bit tricky to get out. It is very thin and doesn't fit extactly like a standard memorystick. When you push it in, it won't pop right out. It requires a bit of work.

Minor quirks aside, my friend is happy with 32gig worth of storage.

I know these are specialized and you need it for Sony crap, but it's ridiculous. I got a 64gb usb drive last Xmas for $80.

[quote name='Nephilim']If what you have on the stick is not a big deal to you, then the fake is just going to be slower, less capacity, not genuine, and may die sooner for no reason at all.

If the data on the stick is important to you, back it up often and wait for it to break, or just get a genuine one.

I am not a big fan of those microSD adapters either, loading time is longer I have read and you are just hodge podging something together, not for me.[/QUOTE]

thanks everyone, i don't know why i didn't think about backing the stuff up. that's a good idea, that's what ill do. thanks

One of my friends had a 2 gig fake and it was actually a 256MB branded as a 2 gig. Basically all you can do is, do the magic gate test. Pretty much every fake won't have magic gate and if it does it's a damn good fake xD

I still remember I used pay $150 to get 1GB memory stick. Dang...Then again, I just bought 16GB SDHC for mere $30 something so price will drop even further I guess.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']I bought a "non-genuine" 16gb early last year for about $50 and a 8gb just a few months ago from DX for $19. No complaints at all. Everything runs smoothly and perfectly. Runs just fine when compared to a genuine.

Of course though, it all depends from which retailer you buy it from.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of DX, I was trying to get a couple PSP related things and the website seems down for me...Is it the same for any of you?

[quote name='PaRappa/GMRTAG']I still remember I used pay $150 to get 1GB memory stick. Dang...Then again, I just bought 16GB SDHC for mere $30 something so price will drop even further I guess.[/QUOTE]

Glad I wasn't the only one. I bought one with my launch PSP.

On topic, waiting for a lower price as well. I have tons of these stupid little cards everywhere and one more coming with my PSP I'll be getting soon.

does anyone know if you'll be able to use the sticks to download games from the PSN store just like for the PSPgo?

[quote name='robbyH']does anyone know if you'll be able to use the sticks to download games from the PSN store just like for the PSPgo?[/QUOTE]

yep, I have FFVII downloaded onto mine from the store right now :bouncy:

The 32GB Duo (and all the other forms of memory) are still coming out. I'll wait til the 32 comes out so the 16GB price can plummet. Although I'm in dire need of this thing... 2GB doesn't cut it.

[quote name='robbyH']does anyone know if you'll be able to use the sticks to download games from the PSN store just like for the PSPgo?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure but I think the new PSP Go use the M2 sticks not the pro duo, CAGS?

[quote name='ForeStorm']I think the fake ones are also slower.

If you're not needing MagicGate stuff, take a look at microSD to Memory Stick Pro. There's an adapter floating around on Amazon and other sites; I got 16GB for about $40 a few months back.[/QUOTE]

I was looking at these a few days ago, but was wondering.. With it being an adapter, how well does it actually fit inside the PSP? Is it like a normal memory stick, or does it stick out from the unit?

[quote name='buckythekat']yep, I have FFVII downloaded onto mine from the store right now :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Will that include the former UMD titles in the store for PSP?

[quote name='Ares']I was looking at these a few days ago, but was wondering.. With it being an adapter, how well does it actually fit inside the PSP? Is it like a normal memory stick, or does it stick out from the unit?[/QUOTE]

Just bought the adapter from deal extreme. Not sure what i need magic gate for, but I combined an 8GB + 2GB and I'm copying all my stuff over from the old memory stick. Next I'll transfer Suikoden and FFVII from my PS3 to my PSP and I'll still have waaay more free space than I did on my 4GB :)

Adapter cost like $5 with shipping and I saw 2 8GB MicroSDs for $20 on NewEgg. It fits in like the memory stick duo pro although it's build quality is meh at best (feel like I could snap it in half easily).

[quote name='philmcfly']The 32GB Duo (and all the other forms of memory) are still coming out. I'll wait til the 32 comes out so the 16GB price can plummet. Although I'm in dire need of this thing... 2GB doesn't cut it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the lousy part is, with MS Pro Duo's, we always manage to get screwed. I've had the PSP since day one, and I remember how bitchin' it was when the 1GB sticks dropped below $75... ...and now 16GB's is less than this!

I could really use the 16GB, especially with all the PSN downloads; but I absolutely refuse to spend more than $50 on a 16GB MS Pro Duo.

I'm so glad I don't have any records of how much I've spend on damned Memory Sticks for my PSP over the years: I'd probably barf.

[quote name='philmcfly']The 32GB Duo (and all the other forms of memory) are still coming out. I'll wait til the 32 comes out so the 16GB price can plummet. Although I'm in dire need of this thing... 2GB doesn't cut it.[/QUOTE]

I am talking about the adapter plus 2 micro sdhc cards. Not a an actual 32 gb memory stick. Nobody could afford that.

[quote name='robbyH']Will that include the former UMD titles in the store for PSP?[/QUOTE]

I don't see why it wouldn't, that's the only way to get Patapon 2 right now, and my brother's wife has that game on her 8GB Pro Duo. I do find it interesting though, that you can get a PSP-3000 Core and this 16GB Pro Duo for a few dollars less than what the PSP Go will cost and it will net you the same amount of storage space and allow you to keep your UMD drive. Looks like I may just go this route when I pick up a PSP for myself.

[quote name='Nephilim']FYI === PSP Go! uses Memory Stick MICRO so if you want a PSP Go!, this stick will not work.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for confirming this. I was just about to ask if this could be used in the PSPgo.

[quote name='Nephilim']FYI === PSP Go! uses Memory Stick MICRO so if you want a PSP Go!, this stick will not work.[/QUOTE]
Just buy m2 card and the memory stick adapter.It should work fine in the regular PSP.Kinda of waste of money to buy memory stick pro duo now.IMO

[quote name='aihuman']Just buy m2 card and the memory stick adapter.It should work fine in the regular PSP.Kinda of waste of money to buy memory stick pro duo now.IMO[/QUOTE]

Isn't M2 slower than MSPD?

[quote name='iRent']Isn't M2 slower than MSPD?[/QUOTE]
Yes,8mb/s read 2mb/s write.There is some noticeable lag when playing CSO and saving.ISO play fine.

Also, just to clarify, you don't need MagicGate to store games from the PSN store. You can use one of these.

[quote name='iRent']Also, just to clarify, you don't need MagicGate to store games from the PSN store. You can use one of these.[/QUOTE]

I meant to write that as a question, not a statement....

Unless someone edited it.

anyway, are you able to store PSN games (i.e. patapon 2) with this?

[quote name='iRent']I meant to write that as a question, not a statement....

Unless someone edited it.

anyway, are you able to store PSN games (i.e. patapon 2) with this?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

[quote name='cdrw123']Does the psp-1000 support 16gb memory sticks?[/QUOTE]

It does if you have your firmware updated past 3.80. (or somewhere around there)

Is there any downside to getting the microSDHC setup? The only thing I can think of is I think MSPDs are faster. Does that affect anything PSP-wise? I'm thinking of getting two Kingston 8GBs with the adapter (all on Amazon - I hear DX sometimes makes you wait a month to get your stuff). If there is any downside, I wouldn't mind spending the extra $20 for the 16GB stick to get full capabilities.

I just know nothing about Memory Sticks. I just got a PSP this week and need memory though.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Is there any downside to getting the microSDHC setup? The only thing I can think of is I think MSPDs are faster. Does that affect anything PSP-wise? I'm thinking of getting two Kingston 8GBs with the adapter (all on Amazon - I hear DX sometimes makes you wait a month to get your stuff). If there is any downside, I wouldn't mind spending the extra $20 for the 16GB stick to get full capabilities.

I just know nothing about Memory Sticks. I just got a PSP this week and need memory though.[/QUOTE]
CSO lag and you wont be able to use that memory for anything else.

bread's done
Back