Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - For Liquid Metal we would Slime!

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
UPDATE: Nintendo confirmed at their media summit that Nintendo of America will be publishing Dragon Quest IX, with a projected release window of Summer 2010.
* In a unique partnership with Square-Enix, Nintendo of America will publish Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies in the Americas when the game arrives in summer 2010. Dragon Quest IX has sold more than 4.15 million copies in the Japanese market. Nintendo and Square-Enix will now work together to bring this title to the Nintendo DS consumer base in the Americas.

Well, Square-Enix confirmed that Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Defenders of the Starry Sky) will release in Japan on July 11th, so there shouldn't be another delay like before. Today, they uploaded a promotional info video on the official Japanese site. The video is in Japanese and it has a seven minute run-time, but it shows plenty of gameplay footage and goes over some of the game's features.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/51593.html
Here are some of the things shown:
- Enemies in dungeons are visible on the screen and thus are avoidable.
- Customizable characters. Class system.
- Alchemy system for item synthesis
- Local co-op play; go through dungeons, fight some strong bosses, and get treasure.
- "Wi-Fi Shop" to download a new quest everyday.

NeoGAF thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, DQIX will use a class system for its characters, and each will have different skills they can level up according to the job class.

I can't wait for this game.

Maybe it's mis-represented due to the resolution of the video, but that 3D looks pretty good for DS. Still sucks that it could've been ARPG if the whiners didn't get their way.

[quote name='pete5883']Maybe it's mis-represented due to the resolution of the video, but that 3D looks pretty good for DS. Still sucks that it could've been ARPG if the whiners didn't get their way.[/QUOTE]

Sucks from your perspective maybe. I couldn't be happier. There are plenty of ARPGs out there, let Dragon Quest be Dragon Quest.

I'm psyched, I can't wait to pour 100+ hours into this thing. It does look quite nice for the DS.

[quote name='bvharris']Sucks from your perspective maybe. I couldn't be happier. There are plenty of ARPGs out there, let Dragon Quest be Dragon Quest.

I'm psyched, I can't wait to pour 100+ hours into this thing. It does look quite nice for the DS.[/QUOTE]
I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if multiplayer wasn't still there. Multiplayer + turn-based just doesn't make sense to me, it just means that everyone spends less time actually playing because they're waiting on other people. And while there are plenty of ARPGs out there, there aren't plenty of good ones. With the budget this game is getting, it would definitely be a good ARPG.

Maybe they'll just release something like that Yangus roguelike that came out on PS2 and make it more action based.

Goddamn I can't wait for this game but I doubt we'll see it before 2010.

I succumbed to urges and preordered the game from Play-Asia D:

As for the slime speaker, it's almost tempting because of how fast its going to be unavailable, but I really only see the novelty of it

[quote name='bvharris']Does anyone have a guess on when this will be released Stateside?[/QUOTE]
We won't see it until spring of next year at the very earliest. If, and I do mean if, we see it then I'm guessing holidays 2010.

dqixpreorder_display.png

[quote name='cochesecochese']We won't see it until spring of next year at the very earliest. If, and I do mean if, we see it then I'm guessing holidays 2010.[/QUOTE]

Any particular reason for you to suspect we wouldn't get it? We got VII and VIII, and with the DS remakes I've been assuming its a foregone conclusion it would come out here eventually.

[quote name='bvharris']Any particular reason for you to suspect we wouldn't get it? We got VII and VIII, and with the DS remakes I've been assuming its a foregone conclusion it would come out here eventually.[/QUOTE]
The remakes didn't sell very well at all over here. Iwata has said that he wants to make a bigger push in the States and get some more fans for the series over here but I'm not expecting anything.

[quote name='cochesecochese']The remakes didn't sell very well at all over here. Iwata has said that he wants to make a bigger push in the States and get some more fans for the series over here but I'm not expecting anything.[/QUOTE]

While I understand that lackluster sales would be a discouraging factor, Square Enix would seem to have made a pretty firm commitment in the last decade to bringing at least all the main series DQ games over here. Despite the sales numbers for the remakes, I doubt they'd be willing to give up that effort just yet.

With FF13 supposedly releasing at the end of this year in Japan, they SHOULD save the western releases of both FF13 and DQ9 for after March 2010 to keep their year over year fiscal results from diving off a cliff.

My wife was reading me an article that many gamers in Japan are pissed off about Dragon Quest IX. Partly to do with the story, final boss & annoying characters. If the Japanese think the characters are annoying then it must be bad. Anyways the Amazon scores are starting to reflect that:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=86245606&pf_rd_i=489986

For the positive's they say the battle system and customization are good. But how hard can it be to make a good turnbased battle system?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I couldn't understand anything from the promo video but it looked pretty sweet from what I could glean of the options and gameplay,

[quote name='Rodimus']My wife was reading me an article that many gamers in Japan are pissed off about Dragon Quest IX. Partly to do with the story, final boss & annoying characters. If the Japanese think the characters are annoying then it must be bad. Anyways the Amazon scores are starting to reflect that:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=86245606&pf_rd_i=489986

For the positive's they say the battle system and customization are good. But how hard can it be to make a good turnbased battle system?[/QUOTE]
*nelson muntz laugh*

may have to finally buy a ds for this one. I've played every Dragonquest either on the original system if it was released here in the states or in translation on an emulator if not. Hate to miss one cause i don't own the system.

[quote name='keithp']Final boss? They must be playing non-stop! How long *is* the game?[/QUOTE]

I think they're pissed becasue it's spoiled pretty early in the game who the last boss will be. Apparently the story pacing is awful. They're also ticked off because it only supports one save slot.

They're also not to happy about the graphics. Remember this game sold brand new for the equivilant of $75 over there.

[quote name='Rodimus']I think they're pissed becasue it's spoiled pretty early in the game who the last boss will be. Apparently the story pacing is awful. They're also ticked off because it only supports one save slot.

They're also not to happy about the graphics. Remember this game sold brand new for the equivilant of $75 over there.[/QUOTE]
The story spoils itself? How does that work?

Also, MSRP is 6000 yen, which is $64 today. Apparently places are selling it for less, though.

[quote name='pete5883']The story spoils itself? How does that work?[/QUOTE]

They simply don't like the fact that the last boss is revealed too early in the game, but that was just one of the minor complaints. Apparently the game is just poorly written from actual story elements to combat skits.

[quote name='pete5883']Also, MSRP is 6000 yen, which is $64 today. Apparently places are selling it for less, though.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, ment to write $65 not $75. Still.... that's expensive.

[quote name='Rodimus']They simply don't like the fact that the last boss is revealed too early in the game, but that was just one of the minor complaints. Apparently the game is just poorly written from actual story elements to combat skits.

Sorry, ment to write $65 not $75. Still.... that's expensive.[/QUOTE]
Seems like a strange complaint. In DQVIII, IIRC, you chase around the last boss for pretty much the entire game. And all games are more expensive in Japan.

I'm just reporting on what I read, but I guess I'm coming across as devils advocate. It may be a fine game and these are just silly complaints. But I can't overlook the numbers. The simple fact is so many Japanese gamers truly dislike one of the most beloved RPG series ever. Heck, yesterday morning when my wife read her Japanese news it was the top story. I would call it a concern for any DQ fan (including myself)

As of this post these are the Japanese Amazon scores:
5 Stars - 91
4 Stars - 107
3 Stars - 129
2 Stars - 154
1 Stars - 331

Meh. Sales are off the chart. The folks playing through at NeoGAF all seem to be having a blast. Famitsu gave the game a 40/40. More than anything else it sounds as though 2chan is acting up.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Meh. Sales are off the chart. The folks playing through at NeoGAF all seem to be having a blast. Famitsu gave the game a 40/40. More than anything else it sounds as though 2chan is acting up.[/QUOTE]

Hardly unprecedented.

From everything I've read I'm very excited as well. My biggest concern is how much of the experience you'll lose if you just play it solo. I'm hoping next to none.

Is Dragon Quest V out of print? It is not available on Gamestop.com, Bestbuy.com or Amazon.com. I managed to get one for free at Best Buy, I wonder if it's going to skyrocket in value?

There are two people on Youtube who are playing the entire game. From what I've seen, it looks very interesting. :) Does anyone know what the story is about? I don't have a clue and I'd like to know. ;)

Looking forward to this game as well, although I have to admit I'm looking forward to 6 more.

The question is: Will we get 6 or 9 first?

I wouldn't think we'd get either until July at the earliest or Sept. at the latest.

My husband has played over 300 hours of the Japanese version, and I don't think he's done yet.

That figure is not an exaggeration. Almost all of it is on post-game content too. He flew through the story because it is pretty crappy. The post game stuff with quests and treasure maps are the real meat of the game.

By post-game content, you mean the downloaded quests? Interesting.

I'm not much for bonus dungeons, but I'll give them a try this time.

[quote name='2DMention']By post-game content, you mean the downloaded quests? Interesting.

I'm not much for bonus dungeons, but I'll give them a try this time.[/QUOTE]

No, he hasn't even played any downloaded quests since we don't live in Japan and are too lazy to figure out if he could download them here. This is all stuff that came with the actual game itself. No downloads. God knows how many hours he'd rack up if he could actually download the downloadable shit.

[quote name='2DMention']Looking forward to this game as well, although I have to admit I'm looking forward to 6 more.

The question is: Will we get 6 or 9 first?

I wouldn't think we'd get either until July at the earliest or Sept. at the latest.[/QUOTE]

read somewhere last year

part 9 was hoping to come out around mid Sept
Part 6 was planned around dec (but doubtful)

bread's done
Back