The Conduit - "It's time to go to work."

rjung

CAGiversary!
Dunno about any other CAGers, but I'm hyped beyond belief for The Conduit. After following High Voltage's baby for the last two years, I can't wait to get the game next week and tear into some pointer-based run-n-gun FPS action (dual thumbsticks are the Spawn of Satan).

No more half-assed shitty PS2 ports.
No more boring brownish WWII shooters.
No more non-action non-shooting "first person adventures" (sorry, Metroid Prime).

I've got my BFG locked and loaded; just gimmie some multiplayer Drudge ass to kick, and stand back! :D

the-conduit-20080709061826928_640w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MorPhiend']Pre-ordered when AMazon first offered it. But thinking about switching to GS. Don't they have some exclusive CE of it?[/QUOTE]
You get the game in a slipcase with an artbook, and codes for an alternate player skin ("The Agent") and ASE projection. Since it's still the same price, that's where I placed my preorder.

230518bb.jpg

[quote name='E_G_Man']I am pretty excited for this, but I am trying to keep an open mind until I see some reviews.[/quote]
I think that as long as people keep their expections realistic, they'll be happy -- I'm not expecting the game to revolutionize FPSes, but to just offer a solid, uncomplicated, and fun game where I'm rewarded for shooting everything that moves. :) If it can tickle my fancy the same way Doom and Quake did, it'll easily be my GOTY. Even now, just watching videos from E3 make my hands twitch while I keep muttering "GimmiegimmiegimmiegimmieGIMME!" :D

And it's about a week old, but I got a grin from this interview with Mark "Michael Ford" Sheppard:
NRAMA: Well that’s a nice segue into The Conduit here. You’re lending your voice to this game, and you just spoke about better entertainment, so how is this a better sci-fi shooter than what we’ve seen a hundred times already?

MS: Well, the main difference between this and anything else is it’s a first person shooter [FPS] that’s designed from the ground up for the Wii platform. Then everyone goes "why?" You get the controllers in your hand and you see why; this is what it’s built for. The Wii is the perfect analogue for the FPS. Shooting, pointing, scrolling, all these things work intuitively.

We have a 480p console here, and look at the graphics? They pushed this as far, if not further than anyone else has pushed this console. When you go to the single player game, it’s the most clever and evocative story beats. If you’re gonna build a game, it’s gotta be this good.

NRAMA: And have you been a gamer prior to this?

MS: Hell yeah. I’m a 360 player most of the time. I’m a big Call of Duty 4 player; my nine year old and I play Call of Duty 4... Then you look at these guys [High Voltage, developers of Conduit], they spent 16 years making other people’s games. Then out of the gate, this is what they come out with on their own. Hitting a home run is really hard in the gaming industry, and I think they have here. I love the game, I love the story. They’re just a fantastic company the way they behave and the way the do everything.

--R.J.

I cant wait to try it to see how bad it is. I expect the game to be a financial bomb as well. Still, ill go online and blast away at you guys soon enough in it!

I have never really enjoyed multiplayer, (except for Unreal tournament, but that was only because a lot of my friends were playing that)

I get the feeling this game wont hold up as a single player experience, so I will be holding off for a cheap price.

If I were into multiplayer shooters I would be all over this day 1, (that bounty hunter mode or w/e it was called sounded cool, the one where everyone has just one target they are trying to kill)

[quote name='blitz6speed']I cant wait to try it to see how bad it is. I expect the game to be a financial bomb as well.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure it'll do much better than Bionic Commando on the HD twins... ;)

--R.J.

interesting there are a lot of games coming that week..

Fight Night Round 4 or this...

The $10 price difference may do it for me, we will see.

[quote name='ohboy10451']If this game "flops" then the hopes of expensive new IP for the Wii will be finished![/QUOTE]

Most third parties have made up their minds way before this game. People ignore the good games anyway even on message boards. Self-fulfilling prophecy of "there's no good games when I don't look for them".

It's on Gamestop's best sellers list. Pre-orders are apparently good there. Dunno if that means anything though.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Most third parties have made up their minds way before this game. People ignore the good games anyway even on message boards. Self-fulfilling prophecy of "there's no good games when I don't look for them".

It's on Gamestop's best sellers list. Pre-orders are apparently good there. Dunno if that means anything though.[/QUOTE]

nope means nothing at all

Lack of local multiplayer might hurt, but then again the people who buy this will probably not buy it for split-screen play.

I love the concept (built ground-up, Wii-exclusive FPS) but if the sales flop it will be a sign to devs that "keep going with the half-arsed PS2 ports and sink more money into nice-looking 360/PS3 games!" Plus it'll just reinforce the (ignorant) notion that Wii = casual and non-first-party = sale fail.

Personally I'll stick with the PC for FPS's but I'll buy it when it's around $20.

[quote name='rjung']You get the game in a slipcase with an artbook, and codes for an alternate player skin ("The Agent") and ASE projection. Since it's still the same price, that's where I placed my preorder.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I think I've decided against it. I ordered for $46.99. No tax and free 2 day shipping. Even if I pick it up from GS to avoid shipping, retail + tax is about $6.50 more. I think the game exclusives are dumb and it's not worth the extra dough for an art book I'll likely leave sealed and put next to the rest of them that I'll never open, yet never sell either. Yeah, I think I'll stick with Amazon...

[quote name='jbuck138']Review is now posted on IGN. 8.6[/QUOTE]

For most people who were looking at this realistically, that sounds about right. The review was a laudatory but also pointed out its flaws. I do admit I'm a bit concerned about the lag issue; I can only hope that's at the server level and can be ironed out before people start massing online.

I know some folks will wish this thing scored a 9 or better. I always am mindful of the fact that my three favorite GameCube games were scored an 8.5, 8.5, and 8.3 by IGN.

We'll all know for sure how good the game is come Wednesday.

The scores are fine to me. The Wii is my only current gen home console and I play some fps. I am currently playing COD WAW and really like the controls. I liked the Medal of Honor games on Wii too. This looks like great fun. I just wish you could play multiplayer with bots.

A side note: The developer also gets props from me for creating my 3 year old daughters perfect game. Dora Saves the Snow Princess was made for her age group and they did a great job with that.

8.6 sounds right. This isn't going to be a Halo killer but still a very good FPS for Wii. I'm going to wait for a couple more reviews. GameTrailers has good in-depth reviews and I find them to be pretty tough.

Any chance Gamestop will have this available tomorrow (Tuesday)? Or will this be a "ship Tuesday, pick it up Wednesday" deal?

--R.J.

Tried it at E3 - it wasn't anything amazing but it was competent. The controls are a tad bit awkward (compared to Red Steel 2), but I'm sure that with further exposure it would be a great play through. I suggest waiting a bit to see reviews and maybe wait for some price drops.
[quote name='jbuck138']Review is now posted on IGN. 8.6[/QUOTE]
Wow, not bad! For those playing through it, keep us posted on its "enjoyability factor".

DNB,

The controls being awkward is a weird comment. The whole idea behind this game is that the controls are 100% customizable per the player.

So if they had something preset it does not mean it would hav eto stay that way, from my understanding.

Since it's a SEGA title I'll pick it up when it drops to around $20-30. I just have too many games to play right now.

What did Madworld get, 9.0? I guess 8.6 is pretty good since it doesn't break any new ground.

[quote name='Snake2715']DNB,

The controls being awkward is a weird comment. The whole idea behind this game is that the controls are 100% customizable per the player.

So if they had something preset it does not mean it would hav eto stay that way, from my understanding.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the customization options were available on the E3 build, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, the controls are _insanely_ customizable (I saw some videos today). If anyone had control issues at E3, it's safe to say that either the player didn't attempt customization, or the options weren't available.

I'm not much into shooters (or online play at all for that matter), but I loved the simpler "on your own" Goldeneye/Perfect Dark FPS era of shooters- none of this hardcore squad stuff - and "The Conduit" seems an extension of that idea, framerate hiccups and all.

IGN video review was very positive and the game looks pretty fun... if not kind of generic. I'll wait for a $40 no tax at Amazon.

Played this for a couple hours. At first I wasn't impressed especially with the single player. Then I hoped online and found that is where the fun was at. Had an bad experience with the first map because it was poorly designed but once I gave the game a second chance I found out it was just a bad map.

It took me about 20 minutes to get the controls to get used to them and how I wanted them. I have no idea how anyone would play on the default settings. After the first match I was finishing first or second on team matches in kills getting a killing spree at least once every game. My rank is 4 but I think that's the character level.

After playing against people I found out that I still need to adjust some things. My cursor sensitivity or bounding box is too sensitive, I turned it up too high and it senses millimeters of movement and it was making my vision shaky. I also need to turn down or change the buttons for grenades because I keep flash banging myself when I go to scratch my nose.

I haven't played enough yet but as of now I still prefer Medal of Honor Heroes online but that is only because I have something to compare this game to. I will post my code later, I know someone else on this site has to be buying this game, it was sold out on Bestbuy and Walmart online and has been in the top 20 on Amazon.

If you watch this review it sums up how I feel about the game:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-the-conduit/51849

I want to play this game but since no one I know is going to buy this I will wait till it gets cheap. The single player sounds great since I been looking for a game like this for awhile (been looking for a good run and gun), but because everyone I know either plays WoW or TF2, I have no rush to buy this.

[quote name='Mad D']It took me about 20 minutes to get the controls to get used to them and how I wanted them. I have no idea how anyone would play on the default settings. [/QUOTE]

I didn't end up tweaking the controls nearly as much as I thought I would. I'd be interested to know what you changed.

Went by Gamestop the other day and picked up my copy of The Conduit, and played it for about 3 hours last night. The first hour was spent just goofing around and having fun, partially because my son wanted to see the game in action (and play back-seat tactician in the process). After I got him into bed, I started a new file and got through the first two-and-a-half levels (tutorial, airport, and partway through the bunker). Finally stopped only when my wife yelled at me to go to bed already. :)

* The level of customization is as terrific as everyone says it is. The default settings are okay, but I'm already tweaking things to my style of play, and really appreciate the option to do so. My only gripe is that I wish there was a way to disable some stuff entirely; I don't care about the lock-on feature, but I can't just ignore it, but need to find an out-of-the-way button to assign to it.

* Throwing grenades with a nunchuk shake is grin-inducing AWESOME.

* Gonna need some time to assess the strengths/weaknesses of each weapon type. So far I'm preferring the SCAR for its scope sniping, and the MKAwhateverUziWannaBe annoys me with its long reload.

* The graphics aren't the best ever on the Wii, but they're a helluva lot better than what most third-parties have offered. Most of the textures are nice and clean, and I enjoyed reading the signs in the airport just for fun (and seeing an occassional muddled blob is more disappointing as a result).

* One downside is that the environments (at least the ones I've played so far) can get a bit repetitive. The airport was mostly a set of gates connected by hallways and escalators, and the bunker was a long snaking hallway with rooms connected to it. Maybe things will get more varied later, but honestly I don't mind too much -- at least the story justifies their repetitive nature.

* One upside is that the levels (outside of the tutorial) are long enough to be nice and meaty. The airport took me about 20 minutes to do, and the bunker feels like it's around 35. I also like exploring the nooks and crannies for secret messages and goodies.

* Instantly continuing the game after you die -- AWESOME!

* No load screens -- double AWESOME! Yeah, they mask the loading with snaking corridors and FMVs between levels, but it's still better than watching a static "Loading..." screen any day.

* Currently playing on the default difficulty ("Guarded", 2 of 5), and the game seems tough-but-fair so far. Individual enemies aren't a problem, but snipers and groups are tricky. Health packs are a tad generous IMO, but that might be due to the difficulty setting. I'm already looking forward to replaying the game at harder settings later.

* Haven't touched multiplayer yet, but by all signs it's going to be kickass.

* Storyline? What little I've picked up so far is a borderline cliche/cheesy X-Files conspiracy mashup, but it's fine by me. I don't play FPSes for plot.

* Nice voice-work all around. And even though I've only seen him in shadows so far, Mr. Adams is already starting to annoy me... ;)

* Honest to Primus, when I got up this morning, my first thought was "I wonder if I can squeeze in 20 minutes of The Conduit before going into work?" :) If I were single, I'd have called in sick today. As it is, it's going to be a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng day until quittin' time...

Score-wise (since everybody loves numbers), I'd give it an 8/10. It's nothing revolutionary, but it perfectly captures the sheer bliss of Wii-remote gunplay and grenade-tossing. Personally, it's my GOTY so far, and I can see myself playing this for a long time.

--R.J.

Another game for the wish list it would seem. I'm not that big on FPS, but I haven't played one since Quake 2, so I suppose it's about time.

got to get a copy of this... will wait on FNR4... I miss Killzone 2 already and need something to get me back into the FPS beyond what I have left at home.

[quote name='rjung']Went by Gamestop the other day and picked up my copy of The Conduit, and played it for about 3 hours last night. The first hour was spent just goofing around and having fun, partially because my son wanted to see the game in action (and play back-seat tactician in the process). After I got him into bed, I started a new file and got through the first two-and-a-half levels (tutorial, airport, and partway through the bunker). Finally stopped only when my wife yelled at me to go to bed already. :)

* The level of customization is as terrific as everyone says it is. The default settings are okay, but I'm already tweaking things to my style of play, and really appreciate the option to do so. My only gripe is that I wish there was a way to disable some stuff entirely; I don't care about the lock-on feature, but I can't just ignore it, but need to find an out-of-the-way button to assign to it.

* Throwing grenades with a nunchuk shake is grin-inducing AWESOME.

* Gonna need some time to assess the strengths/weaknesses of each weapon type. So far I'm preferring the SCAR for its scope sniping, and the MKAwhateverUziWannaBe annoys me with its long reload.

* The graphics aren't the best ever on the Wii, but they're a helluva lot better than what most third-parties have offered. Most of the textures are nice and clean, and I enjoyed reading the signs in the airport just for fun (and seeing an occassional muddled blob is more disappointing as a result).

* One downside is that the environments (at least the ones I've played so far) can get a bit repetitive. The airport was mostly a set of gates connected by hallways and escalators, and the bunker was a long snaking hallway with rooms connected to it. Maybe things will get more varied later, but honestly I don't mind too much -- at least the story justifies their repetitive nature.

* One upside is that the levels (outside of the tutorial) are long enough to be nice and meaty. The airport took me about 20 minutes to do, and the bunker feels like it's around 35. I also like exploring the nooks and crannies for secret messages and goodies.

* Instantly continuing the game after you die -- AWESOME!

* No load screens -- double AWESOME! Yeah, they mask the loading with snaking corridors and FMVs between levels, but it's still better than watching a static "Loading..." screen any day.

* Currently playing on the default difficulty ("Guarded", 2 of 5), and the game seems tough-but-fair so far. Individual enemies aren't a problem, but snipers and groups are tricky. Health packs are a tad generous IMO, but that might be due to the difficulty setting. I'm already looking forward to replaying the game at harder settings later.

* Haven't touched multiplayer yet, but by all signs it's going to be kickass.

* Storyline? What little I've picked up so far is a borderline cliche/cheesy X-Files conspiracy mashup, but it's fine by me. I don't play FPSes for plot.

* Nice voice-work all around. And even though I've only seen him in shadows so far, Mr. Adams is already starting to annoy me... ;)

* Honest to Primus, when I got up this morning, my first thought was "I wonder if I can squeeze in 20 minutes of The Conduit before going into work?" :) If I were single, I'd have called in sick today. As it is, it's going to be a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng day until quittin' time...

Score-wise (since everybody loves numbers), I'd give it an 8/10. It's nothing revolutionary, but it perfectly captures the sheer bliss of Wii-remote gunplay and grenade-tossing. Personally, it's my GOTY so far, and I can see myself playing this for a long time.

--R.J.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the review. I really want an FPS on the Wii, but I'm torn between getting the Conduit or waiting for Metroid Prime Trilogy or Red Steel 2.

For what it's worth, I've only played Metroid Prime 3, but gave up on it due to (a) ridiculously far savepoints and (b) insufficient gunplay. MP3 is a great adventure game, but I wouldn't call it an FPS in the vein of Doom, Halo, or Marathon.

--R.J.

These are my control settings if anyone wants to try them out:

50 turning speed
15 cursor sensitivity
50 horizontal and vertical view (default)
20 nunchuck sensitivity (to avoid bombing yourself if you want to keep the input for the nunchuck)

105 by 125 dead zone

Aiming and turning should feel tighter, anymore and I personally get dizzy. Feels close to how Medal of Honor Heroes was at. I still prefer the grenade system in that game where you could see a cursor on the ground or wall you want to bounce off of. The online is pretty good, it is amazing what a self funded Indy team has done to work around with the Wii's online component.

My code is 3609 8805 6113 if any one wants to play sometime.

[quote name='icedrake523']What method did you select?[/QUOTE]

What else? Super Saver :D

They've already put the charge on my account, so I think it'll be shipping tomorrow.

Great game. Must have for any Wii owning FPS gamer.

Also make sure to find the hidden messages and listen to the radios if you want the full story.

[quote name='Scrubking']Also make sure to find the hidden messages and listen to the radios if you want the full story.[/QUOTE]
My only regret here is that the radio/TV messages aren't subtitled; I play rather late at night ant keep the volume down to avoid waking the house, but that means I miss the transmissions...

(Hey, Scrubking, at least here's a board where Amor0x won't show up and pee in the pool... ;))

--R.J.

Don't understand how you can have a site with a staff member who flamboyantly trolls. That's a reason I won't join there. It's like an elitist GameFAQs the trolling is just as poor.

Anyone want to play online? Hope the lag isn't bad.

Some people did some digging around in the game disc... //and after are comments by the developer. Here are some notable things:

DEBUG_CHEATS OFF // Are debug cheats on/off
DEBUG_FLY OFF // Fly-through mode on/off
LEVEL_SELECT OFF // Level select on/off
DEMO_LEVEL_SELECT OFF // Only show * levels in level
PARTICLES0 1024 // Number of particles
PARTICLES1 1024 // Number of particles
PERFORMANCE_METRICS 0 // How much performance data to display, 0=none, 1=fps, 2=lots, 3=tons
KEYCODE BA // Region Code from Sony
USE_CLASSIC_CONTROLLER OFF // Ignore input from classic controller
DEBUG_MULTIPLAYER OFF
---
USE_KIKI_JOY_CONTROLLER
USE_GCN_CONTROLLER
DISABLE_WII_STRAP_MESSAGE
There's more Sony and PSP references than what I posted. Apparently it's because the game's engine also runs on PSP... Why did they cut CC/GC/Kiki Joy* support? More options are better.

*Kiki Joy?

One person claims that by cutting PARTICLES0 and PARTICLES1 in half, (reduce special effects) the game runs smoother in multiplayer with no noticeable downside. Also, there's talk that the textures could be replaced for higher resolution ones. Interesting stuff.

edit: more stuff!
edit2: DEBUG_MULTIPLAYER apparently allows stuff like dedicated servers and LAN. I foresee lots of Wifi cheaters in the future. :whistle2:(

bread's done
Back