- - - - -

Little King's Story - Build a kingdom, raise an army, take over the world! - OUT NOW!

#1 Cao Cao   Spoooooooky CAGiversary!   3005 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:32 AM

Posted Image

Little King's Story is a collaboration project between Marvelous Entertainment, Town Factory, and Cing, directed by Yoshiro Kimura (Moon RPG Remix Adventure at Love-de-Lic, Chulip) and produced by Yasuhiro Wada (Creator of Harvest Moon). It puts the player in the shoes of a boy who, after finding a magic crown, is named king of Alpoko by the Bull Knight Howser.
Spoiler

It was released in Europe and Australia a few months ago (24 April 2009), where it's gotten some rave reviews, as shown at the Metacritic page. Many of the reviewers describe the gameplay as being a mix of elements from Pikmin (Throwing members of your royal guard at enemies/obstacles) and Animal Crossing (Wandering around town, talking to citizens, fulfilling posted requests). Perhaps what the reviewers praised most was the game's presentation, with oil painting-style cutscenes and in-game graphics that give it a sort of storybook look. The music is made up of a wide variety of classical scores (Bolero, William Tell Overture, Land of Hope and Glory, among others). Enemies generally stray away from the D&D/LotR orcs and goblins standard, opting more for normal baddies like sentient turnips, evil chickens, and the Onii tribe; Guardian UMAs and a diverse set of rival kings serve as bosses.

As the saying goes, appearances can be deceiving. At first glance, it looks like some game for kids, but, as many of the reviewers found, it's really a deep and addictive strategy RPG, with plenty of decisions to make and side-quests to undertake. The general playing time is pegged at around 30-60 hours if you do most of the stuff. An... interesting sense of humor is hidden underneath the cutesy exterior, as the game takes subtle and not-so-subtle jabs at subjects like politics, religion, imperialism, etc.

Overall, from what has been said about it, Little King's Story sounds like an original, charming, and entertaining concept that has fared well with the European critics. Fans of games like Harvest Moon, Pikmin, and/or Animal Crossing should check it out when it comes to the US in July.

I've tried to avoid spoilers in this post, so below is the Metacritic page in case you want to check out the reviews, along with some interviews with staff (Kimura is an interesting fellow, check 'em out), and a GT video that quickly cycles through different scenes, including some battles.

Metacritic
-------
Siliconera interview (Kimura)
N-Sider (Kimura)
ONM UK (Wada)
TrueGameHeadz video interview (Kimura)
Rising Star Games (EU publisher): Part 1 (Kimura), Part 2 (Character Designer Hideo Minaba)

-------

Kimura has been doing some interviews after the release of Little King's Story. Be aware, these interviews can be detailed and will likely contain storyline spoilers:
GamaSutra interview
411mania interview
Nintendo Norway Interview, Kimura answers Reader Questions
Joystiq TGS 2009 Interview

-------

NeoGAF topic

North America Notes
Official US site

Kimura mentions in the Siliconera interview that the US version will have a few additions, including a monster that was designed in a fanart contest, Evil Dragoon Cat. It has also been confirmed that a harder "Tyrant" difficulty level has been added to the US version.

Pre-Order BONUS: Pre-order from Amazon.com, EB/GameStop, or GameCrazy to receive an Onii squishie figurine. You can see Kimura playing with it in the TrueGameHeadz video interview above.
Amazon
GameStop

Posted Image

"If you have two normal people standing there, and one of them says 'I KILL YOU!' and stabs the other one, that's just sad," [Yoshiro] Kimura tells us. "But if you have two little anime-cartoon cute guys, and one of them says [high-pitched voice] 'I KILL YOU!' and stabs the other one, it's serious, but it's really funny. It's the opposite of real people in games doing corny, goofy things... we have little goofy guys doing very serious things."

Edited by Cao Cao, 05 October 2009 - 08:53 AM.

#2 botticus   GHM4Life CAGiversary!   16519 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

Been looking forward to this since My Life as a King came out, and have it preordered. Hopefully it won't disappoint!

#3 bvharris   the black wind howls CAGiversary!   19419 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:20 PM

I'll probably check this out for my new Wii, at the very least as a rental.

#4 BlueLobstah   Do you...want my carrots? CAGiversary!   2934 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

BlueLobstah

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and its gotten some pretty favorable reviews from its Europe release, scoring close to 9/10 on average. I just hate that we have to wait 3 months for it here in the US. Seems like its a mix of play between My Life as King and Pikmin, which is certainly something to look forward to.

#5 Matt Young   Follow the buzzards CAGiversary!   15183 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Matt Young

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:38 AM

I hadn't heard of this game before, but it looks like a definite buy.

#6 Trillian   Monkey CAGiversary!   381 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:24 AM

I hadn't paid much attention to this until I was reading an article in Play magazine today. Looks very interesting. I might just have to pick it up. Sheesh. First Animal Crossing, now this. My poor ignored backlog...

#7 bluesyncopate   Casualcore! CAGiversary!   172 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

bluesyncopate

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:03 PM

pikmin + animal crossing + classical music soundtrack + weirdness = epic, epic win.

want.

#8 Cao Cao   Spoooooooky CAGiversary!   3005 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:12 AM

Nintendo Power's review scores were posted:
http://www.neogaf.co...t=366355&page=2

Little King’s Story (Wii) - 9.0
Virtua Tennis 2009 (Wii) - 7.0
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Wii) - 5.5
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (DS) - 8.0
Mega Man Star Force 3 (DS) - 6.0
Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits (DS) - 7.0
The Bigs 2 (Wii) - 6.0
Dawn of Discovery (DS) - 8.5
Overlord: Minions (DS) - 7.0
Overlord Dark Legend (Wii) - 7.0

Edited by Cao Cao, 28 June 2009 - 08:36 PM.

#9 SuperPhillip   Banned Banned   2238 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

SuperPhillip

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:16 AM

I wish it wasn't releasing so close to Wii Sports Resort.

#10 Cao Cao   Spoooooooky CAGiversary!   3005 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:41 PM

donny2112 of NeoGAF summarized NP's review:

* "Little King's Story is a deep, addictive, and thoroughly enjoyable effort that every serious gamer should experience."
* "It's two parts Pikmin, one part Animal Crossing, and one part SimCity - a winning formula concocted with the kind of TLC you'd find in one of Nintendo's first-party titles."
* Side quests and other diversions can take "hours and hours" of gametime.
* "you'll find yourself saying "just a few more minutes" until it's suddenly 2 o'clock in the morning."
* Graphics have a charming style versus being technically impressive.
* You can get attached to your subjects, which can make it hard if they die in battle. Sometimes they'll wash up alive on the shore the next day, though.
* "quite funny thanks to some clever writing and motley crew of eccentric bosses."
* "Tying everything together is a sublime classical soundtrack that fits the proceedings like a glove."
* Camera doesn't always cooperate, but it rarely detracted from the fun.
* No motion controls whatsoever.

#11 io   ... Super Moderators   24648 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

Looks like a definite buy, though I'm not sure at release (I'm surprised to see it is a $50 game!).

#12 botticus   GHM4Life CAGiversary!   16519 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:01 PM

Amazon added Release Date Delivery recently, for those who have or will be preordering.

#13 bvharris   the black wind howls CAGiversary!   19419 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

No motion controls whatsoever.

For the win.

Seriously, the more I read about this game, the more excited I am to pick it up.

#14 Cao Cao   Spoooooooky CAGiversary!   3005 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

Quick update:
Little King's Story has gone gold for the US, so it is almost certain that it will release on July 21st as planned. Also, Hero of Legend was able to get confirmation from XSeed that a harder difficulty level will be added to the US version, the "Tyrant" difficulty setting.

#15 EXStrike   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2065 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

I can't wait for this game.

#16 Cao Cao   Spoooooooky CAGiversary!   3005 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:18 AM

Reminder: it's set to release in a week. Amazon is currently the cheapest at $46.99+FSSS, along with the pre-order bonus. I don't know whether or not that 50% off magazine thing that Amazon is running will still apply.

GameTrailers put up a video preview:
http://www.gametrail...ayer/52658.html

#17 SuperPhillip   Banned Banned   2238 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

SuperPhillip

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

Looks incredibly charming.

Not enough blood, guts, space marines, and cursing though.

#18 Matt Young   Follow the buzzards CAGiversary!   15183 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Matt Young

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

The last thing I need to do is buy more games. I mean, 3 of my 9 Wii games are unopened at this point. But the game looks so damn fun...

#19 Bavgate   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   866 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:13 AM

After reading this thread, I'm convinced. Put down a reserve at Amazon!

#20 Rocko   Hurm. CAGiversary!   38793 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:12 AM

This looks great, but I'm not so sure about buying it at launch.

Edit: Scratch that, the reviews are fantastic, preordered at Amazon.

Edited by Rocko, 17 July 2009 - 10:11 PM.

#21 Cao Cao   Spoooooooky CAGiversary!   3005 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:08 AM

Reminder: It's set to release this Tuesday.

Amazon

#22 botticus   GHM4Life CAGiversary!   16519 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

Preparing shipment at Amazon, woohoo.

#23 BlueLobstah   Do you...want my carrots? CAGiversary!   2934 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

BlueLobstah

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

Preparing shipment at Amazon, woohoo.

Just saw that this morning. I'm assuming it's next day delivery for Prime users?

#24 punkmaggit   Masashi Hamauzu > you CAGiversary!   2506 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:30 PM

You know, I'll go ahead and buy this one to support Xseed. I figure I owe them at least that since they're bringing over Riz-Zoawd.

#25 botticus   GHM4Life CAGiversary!   16519 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

Just saw that this morning. I'm assuming it's next day delivery for Prime users?

If you did the free upgrade to Release Date Delivery, it certainly better be.

#26 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5570 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:21 PM

Since it was release date delivery, yes, it will arrive tomorrow for Prime users who pre-ordered. (EDIT: Damn, beat by botticus)

Can't wait for it to arrive. This will be the last game I purchase for a while, so I hope it helps keep my attention for quite a while on top of a few other games. Regardless, the reviews and impressions so far have been good and it was hard to pass up at $40.

Edited by Draekon, 20 July 2009 - 03:33 PM.

#27 Bavgate   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   866 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:17 AM

My order shipped. Woo-hoo! Can't wait to play it tomorrow after work.

#28 Rocko   Hurm. CAGiversary!   38793 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:24 AM

Mine shipped. I did super saver shipping, and it's estimated to arrive on Monday, but I'd imagine it'll be here Friday, knowing Amazon.

#29 Cao Cao   Spoooooooky CAGiversary!   3005 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:26 PM

Ordered it last night along with the MadWorld DotD, right after the DotD appeared. Immediately after checking out, I sent off an e-mail to Amazon asking if my order was still eligible to receive the Onii squishy figure. They replied with a standard form "It was 'while supplies last'... blah blah blah... It might come with the order, but we cannot guarantee it."

#30 botticus   GHM4Life CAGiversary!   16519 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

Pondering just wrapping up The Conduit this week and saving LKS for the weekend, when I should have some blocks of time to set aside for it. We'll see how I feel when I find it on my doorstep in a half hour.