Dawn of Discovery (Wii/DS) - Sequel to Anno 1701! - OUT NOW at $30 MSRP!

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
In 2007/2008, Anno 1701, a portable version of the popular (in Europe) PC city-building series, was released for the DS. It received praise from many places, including CheapyD on a past episode of the CAGCast.

Earlier this year, UbiSoft released a sequel to Anno 1701 for the Wii and DS in Europe, titled "Anno 1404: Create a New World." Much like its predecessor, it gained some acclaim from the European sites. Next week, Ubi plans to release it in North America, though they will be dropping the Anno connection for some reason, re-branding it simply as Dawn of Discovery.

Dawn of Discovery for the Wii takes the standard console city-builder route of streamlining and simplifying the experience (Think Civilization Revolution or SimCity Creator), removing some of the micro-management aspects. The developers also changed the graphical style, giving characters and environments a sort of colorful, cartoony 3D look. According to the impressions, IGN UK's for instance, these changes don't take away from the game.

The DS version seems to contain improvements too, though the graphical style of the buildings is closer to its predecessor. I could only find one review of the DS version online, and it seems positive.

The Wii and the DS versions both have an MSRP of $29.99.

Trailer

Wii version:
958390_126731.jpg

Amazon
GameStop

DS version:
959625_126732.jpg

Amazon
GameStop

About the last part of the topic title: Yesterday, when I went to a local GameStop, I saw the Wii version of Dawn of Discovery sitting on the shelf, gutted and bearing a price tag. While I didn't pick it up to confirm, it seems that like with Klonoa, some B&M GameStop stores may have put it out early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick update, I went to another GameStop today, and they also had Dawn of Discovery on the shelf, tagged and gutted, for both the Wii and DS ($29.99 each, of course). So it looks like B&M Gamestop stores may have put it out early.

so thats the game. Saw the DS version on the shelves but didn't pay much mind to actually look at it. If I knew it was a new entry from the Anno series, I would have jumped on then.

I'll grab it in a week or so when it drops to $20

Posted this in the Little King's Story topic, but it applies to this one too (Nintendo Power scores):
http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=18847
Little King’s Story (Wii) - 9.0
Virtua Tennis 2009 (Wii) - 7.0
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Wii) - 5.5
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (DS) - 8.0
Mega Man Star Force 3 (DS) - 6.0
Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits (DS) - 7.0
The Bigs 2 (Wii) - 6.0
Dawn of Discovery (DS) - 8.5
Overlord: Minions (DS) - 7.0
Overlord Dark Legend (Wii) - 7.0

Unfortunately, the genre's already niche enough as it is, and that boxart ain't gonna help things any... :(

--R.J.

well I'd be curious into what it was, but indeed, the boxart blows chunks.

if only they had a more artistic look to it instead of PBS cartoon.

[quote name='rjung']Unfortunately, the genre's already niche enough as it is, and that boxart ain't gonna help things any... :(

--R.J.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: It turns out that they did go with the below one for the Wii box art. The one in the OP is wrong from what I've seen.
958390_126731_front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On sale right now in Canada - only $10 at Zellers. For a fun title unlike anything else in the Wii library, seems like a great deal!

[quote name='Snake2715']I really want to pick thisone up. I have a feeling it will be a sought after title later on, maybe not.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what will happen later, but it's a great title for anyone who wants engrossing strategy right now.

My pick for most overlooked 2009... even though great games like Little King's Story and Dead Space didn't sell, they got talked about. But nobody seems to even know about Dawn of Discovery, let alone what a great experience they are missing.

bread's done
Back