General iPhone/iPod Touch Game Discussion

RelentlessRolento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Seeing as CAG is sorely lacking a iPod Touch or iPhone game app discussion group (and the fact that I just became a recent touch owner), I present to you a good ol'e place to do so here.

iPhone/Touch Deals Thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196903

Resources:
http://toucharcade.com/
http://theappera.com/
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/latest.asp?sec=7
http://www.youtube.com/user/bytejacker
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlideToPlay

I'll post more and update the OP if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get things going...

So far the only purchases I have gotten are

- Eliss
- lilt line
- Pocket God
- Rolando (free from BB)

so far I'm tossing around if I should get passage (not because I think it's good, I just want to support the creator), Touch Grind (don't know if it's worth it), Bloom (don't know), and/or Edge (again, don't know).

so far the only game I've playe that feels natural mostly is eliss... i love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fELPZ26QRk

Pocket God is a damn good deal for .99 especially since it will constantly be updated free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kasKGVOf3YI

edge and touchgrind are pretty damn good....i dont like Eliss too much..i tried to like it but find it to be un-fun

i am crazy addicted to peggle..i also love flight control

Knights Onrush is a nice little defense game with amazing graphics

312494232screen.jpg

I've been playing a metric fuckton of Scrabble and SmartGo (an app for the board game Go.)

You know Pocket God has been my only disappointing purchase on my iphone so far. I don't understand what is going on at all. A dinosaur eats little people over and over?

As far as my most recommended app for a dollar, Flight Control is amazing. I've already put hours into playing that when I'm out and just have some time to kill. Now that it has a fast forward, it makes the first minute quicker and makes it much more mobile friendly.

The only game I've bought so far that I haven't liked is Crime Jack Streets. It reviewed very well and was on sale for $1 so I decided to give it a shot, but just couldn't get into it. I still have it on the Touch thinking I'll eventually dig into it, but hasn't happened so far.

Peggle is no longer on sale for $1, but that'd be my favorite game I've bought.

A few quality free games - SolFree, Unblock Free, FallingBalls, ChessFree
And some I grabbed on a free price drop so I don't know if they are still free or not - Sky Burger (not free I'm 99% sure), Sudoku Grab - that app is very cool, Word Play

TaxiBall and Mecho Wars are two great (but short) games I bought on $1 sales. Both are well worth $1. MW is pretty easy if you've played much of this type of game, but it held my interest enough for $1.

TapDefense is a free TD game I really want to like but it crashed in the middle of the two normal length games I've played. And when it crashes it doesn't keep a save point so you have to start over. Haven't played it since the 2nd time.

Here's a list of games I've bought for my iPhone (coming from a guy that swore he'd never buy games for his iPhone!) including the price I paid and my basic thoughts... *Note: Only games that I have paid for are listed, not listing any of the freebies.

Asphalt 4: Elite Racing $0.99 - Not bad for $0.99, I haven't won a race yet though...

Blimp: The Flying Adventures $0.99 - Not bad for $0.99, nice style.

Buka $0.99 - Haven't played this yet...

Car Jack Streets $0.99 - Not sure, Keeps crashing. :(

Critter Crunch $0.99 - Meh, glad I didn't pay the $9.99 original price!

Flight Control $0.99 - Not bad for $0.99, simple play.

Go! Go! Rescue Squad $0.99 - Pretty good game for $0.99, kinda like Lost Vikings?

Hero of Sparta $4.99 - Wish I waited until it was cheaper, lots of slow down, but good game overall. This game is currently $0.99! Great game at that price! If you want God of War for the iPhone... this is it.

iDracula - Undead Awakening $0.99 - Kinda like Smash TV. Not bad for $0.99.

Let's Golf! $0.99 - Nice polished 3D golf game. Worth it for $0.99!

Mecho Wars $0.99 - Decent turn based strategy game. Not a fan of the art style. But for $0.99 I can't complain.

newtonica $4.99 - Nice idea, neat game.

Nine Inch Nails Revenge $4.99 - Just like the other Tap Tap games, but custom NIN theme & music.

Peggle $4.99 - Super fun! Great game! Anyone who didn't buy this when it was $0.99 is a dope! Worth full price!

Pocket God $0.99 - Not really a game. Supposedly the appeal is multiple episodes, but I can't figure out how to change the current episode? Actually it is hard to figure out what to do, or what the friggin' point is.

Rio BlackJack $0.99 - Not bad for $0.99 but I'd never pay the $3.99 they want for it now, or the reskinned DOA versions.

Sentinel: Mars Defense $0.99 - Tower Defence game, not bad for $0.99

Shift $0.99 - Neat concept! A puzzle platformer. Fun!

Shot Watch $0.99 - I don't understand the appeal...

Siberian Strike $4.99 - Really neat SHMUP! Great style & polish!

Tiki Towers $0.99 - Kinda like World of Goo, but not as good. Not too shabby though...

Toki Tori $4.99 - Wish It was cheaper or you could play the game zoomed out. Not bad though.

Underworlds $2.99 - Has potential, Diabloesque game... rather have paid the $0.99 for it.

UniWar $0.99 - Great turn based strategy game.

Wild West Pinball $0.99 - Basic table, but good ball physics. It's free now, so what are you waiting for?

Wolfenstein 3D Classic $1.99 - Classic game! Still fun! Worth every penny!

Zen Bound $4.99 - Pretty nice game, makes good use of iPhone control.

Other games in the App Store tickle my fancy, but I'm waiting for the inevitable price drops before buying them! :)

I use AppShopper.com to watch for price drops as well, might be another good site to add to the OP.

So far, I've picked up:

• Blocked
  • Textropolis
  • geoDefense
  • FlightControl
  • TaxiBall
  • Strategery
  • Peggle
  • Rolando

Most of what I've purchased has been, "Pick up and play" types of games. I haven't really used my iPhone for extended play sessions, as my DS tends to perform that role.

[quote name='UjnHunter']
Pocket God $0.99 - Not really a game. Supposedly the appeal is multiple episodes, but I can't figure out how to change the current episode? Actually it is hard to figure out what to do, or what the friggin' point is.
[/QUOTE]

You don't have to change the current episode, the new additions add onto the old one. The point is to just play around with it.

[quote name='UjnHunter']
Blimp: The Flying Adventures $0.99 - Not bad for $0.99, nice style.
[/QUOTE]

From your 1st sentence I'm guessing you are playing on an iPhone? I would have picked this up, but every bad review mentions it doesn't work with a 2G Touch. If it gets updated and is still $1, I'll probably bite.

And I'm with you on Let's Golf. I've just played through all the tourneys on Easy mode so far and I've already got more than $1's worth. I noticed they released a 3.0 compatibility update which makes me wonder if they are planning to launch new courses as in-app purchases. :shrug:

[quote name='UjnHunter']Here's a list of games I've bought for my iPhone (coming from a guy that swore he'd never buy games for his iPhone!) including the price I paid and my basic thoughts... *Note: Only games that I have paid for are listed, not listing any of the freebies.

Asphalt 4: Elite Racing $0.99 - Not bad for $0.99, I haven't won a race yet though...

etc...[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to say I really like this format, and I plan on using it when I put up a similar post in a bit.

Thanks!

[quote name='seanr1221']You don't have to change the current episode, the new additions add onto the old one. The point is to just play around with it.[/QUOTE]

I was about to say this... It's more of a sandbox for exploring just having things to do. No point, just fun.

Can anyone recommend or not recommend touchgrind? if it helps, I've pretty much played every console skating game to date due to my love of the sport.

The paid games i've bought are as follows with micro reviews:

Monkey Ball - it's okay, mostly bought it cause it was one of the first games on the app store
Trism - excellent colored block puzzler
Rolando - been mentioned quite a bit, a great game
Zen Bound - interesting and very pretty, but not all that fun to play
Peggle - it's peggle on the iphone, and thats a-ok with me
Drop7 - this is the star of the show for me, perfect game for the iphone, and has a tetris-like level of depth

Of all the games i've played (free or paid) Drop7 is definately the only MUST have on the iphone for me. It's a simple, yet deep puzzle game that has well implemented, but not unnecessary touch controls. But mostly, it's just a blast to play, and it plays great in short spurts as well as long play sessions. (although i have noticed my battery running lower since i started playing this game) I have played it basically every day for 2 months, and don't see myself stopping anytime soon. Leaderboards and facebook integration are just icing on the already super-sweet cake.

If you haven't played it, get the lite version and check it out. The lite version is just an exclusive mode that isn't in the full version, so i've kept both on my phone.

Also, it's basically the same as this game: if you want to see the gameplay mechanics: http://chainfactor.com/

Trism and Rolando also come with high recommendations from me.

[quote name='Flak']I really want an iPhone or Touch just for Mass Effect Galaxy.

Seriously.[/QUOTE]

Nobody on neogaf had great things to say about it. I think the consensus is that it's pretty but generic. Even has slowdown on the 3GS, which is not a good sign for the Touch or earlier iPhones.

I've heard good things about the story, which is what I'm looking for. I'm not too bothered by Gaf, too opinionated.

True, and considering many people on the site are saying it, they're probably conspiring to lie about how it's boring and has slowdown. Definitely seems worth signing up for a 2 year AT&T contract or dropping a few hundred on a iPod touch.

[quote name='ninja dog']True, and considering many people on the site are saying it, they're probably conspiring to lie about how it's boring and has slowdown. Definitely seems worth signing up for a 2 year AT&T contract or dropping a few hundred on a iPod touch.[/QUOTE]

should probably sign up for a 4 year contract just to be safe

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/996/996974p1.html

What makes Mass Effect Galaxy such a tragedy is that it did not have to be a bad game. The iPhone is more than capable of hosting a Mass Effect experience that fans would appreciate. Look at Terminator: Salvation, Assassin's Creed, or Prey Invasion. Would Mass Effect on iPhone be a huge epic like the Xbox 360 game? No, but it could get a hell of a lot closer to it than this tepid shooter. This isn't even a compromise; it's a cop-out. At some point, somebody should have looked at Mass Effect Galaxy and thought, this is a mistake. No fan, and that's who would buy it, will like this.

:lol: Everyone across the board is saying it sucks.

[quote name='Flak']But why is AT&T trying to get money from me over an MP3 player?[/QUOTE]

:lol:

jesus man, you're already in a pretty deep hole here. Don't make it worse!

[quote name='Treythalomew']As far as my most recommended app for a dollar, Flight Control is amazing. I've already put hours into playing that when I'm out and just have some time to kill. Now that it has a fast forward, it makes the first minute quicker and makes it much more mobile friendly.[/QUOTE]

Flight Control is approaching Tetris-like addiction for me. That game is easily my fave.

Speaking of Tetris, has anyone tried the EA Tetris on the App store? How is it?

[quote name='Ronin317']Speaking of Tetris, has anyone tried the EA Tetris on the App store? How is it?[/QUOTE]

I really dont like the touch controls. They are too crappy to actually keep up with the pieces once they start falling at a decent speed. Other than that it is good.

[quote name='Ronin317']Flight Control is approaching Tetris-like addiction for me. That game is easily my fave.
[/QUOTE]

just bought this today, really good so far, but i'm getting destroyed at about 38 planes, really psyched to keep playing this

Holy shit, that's hilarious. I love the weather and safari ones the most... but all are great. The youtube one is pretty awesome too.

Guy from Oyaji Games posted on the toucharcade forums that they'll be submitting an update for Mecho Wars with a new Landarian based campaign. Nothing about multiplayer over wifi was mentioned so I guess that's not coming anytime soon.

The AI is easy, but it's still pretty fun. Definitely got my $1 worth out of this one so any updates are icing. Played the campaign and a skirmish on every extra map - calls them Challenges I think. Maybe I could try skipping my first two turns on a skirmish as a way to artificially increase the difficulty.

I'm dying for Megatouch to release 11-ball. I need 11-ball so badly I can taste it. And I'll pay full price for that fucker day one.

I'm actually interested in developing apps for the iPhone. I'm currently working on my own little project using an open-source library that is pretty ace. (Cocos2D, google it) But I had a question or two for hte CAG community.

1. Is anyone working on a CAG-specific iPhone app? I'm thinking something that would let you access the CAG database, and view your profile and game collection from the iPhone.

2. Would anybody be interested in a CAG-themed game for the iPhone? Whatever form this would eventually take, it would have to be pretty freaking simple. But a CAG-related veneer is certainly possible. Simple 2D development for the iPhone doesn't take as long as higher-end titles. The low-resolution screen makes developing the art assets a lot faster too. (since not as much detail is required)

[quote name='Richard Kain']I'm actually interested in developing apps for the iPhone. I'm currently working on my own little project using an open-source library that is pretty ace. (Cocos2D, google it) But I had a question or two for hte CAG community.

1. Is anyone working on a CAG-specific iPhone app? I'm thinking something that would let you access the CAG database, and view your profile and game collection from the iPhone.

2. Would anybody be interested in a CAG-themed game for the iPhone? Whatever form this would eventually take, it would have to be pretty freaking simple. But a CAG-related veneer is certainly possible. Simple 2D development for the iPhone doesn't take as long as higher-end titles. The low-resolution screen makes developing the art assets a lot faster too. (since not as much detail is required)[/QUOTE]

This is something I've been interested (developping some sort of touch app, even if it wasnt to be submitted to be on the app store).

Do you have any reccomendations on where to start? All of the tutorials I have seen thus far seem to be for osx based development, and seeing as I don't have an osx machine, it doesnt help.

I'm not sure what would really be helpful in a CAG app, unless maybe utilizing the dealfinder aspect of the website, because everything is essentially available via safari.

for all you touchgrind owners, is the game worth the $5?

I'm just wondering if I should get it or not.

NVM: Just bought it... realized I'd buy it at some point anyway.

Tecmo's newest, Annies Wild Shot, is $.99 until July 9, and it's worth every penny. I picked it up last night...it's a shooting gallery game, kinda old school, and pretty damn fun. Definitely enjoying it...

Games I bought so far.

Topple 2 - Great game, but tends to freeze at times

Flight controll- addictive and fun

Star wars: TFU : umm yeah no comment

Ifishing: SE: Ok, not great, keeps me amused on bus rides.

Got the knights game last night before it jumped from .99 to 4.99... damn this is such a good value. Been a while since I've bought a game and felt I got way more than I paid for.

campaign mode rocks.

[quote name='BlueScrote']This is something I've been interested (developping some sort of touch app, even if it wasnt to be submitted to be on the app store).

Do you have any reccomendations on where to start? All of the tutorials I have seen thus far seem to be for osx based development, and seeing as I don't have an osx machine, it doesnt help.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's a slight problem with the situation you're describing. You can't really develop a touch application for the iPhone without...

1. Submitting it for release on the iTunes Store.
2. Owning a copy of Mac OSX.

The first point is fairly straight-forward. It is actually possible to run non-iTunes store apps on the iPhone. But the only way to do this is to use specific software to "unlock" your iPhone that isn't supported by Apple. You can go that route if you want to, but I wouldn't advise it. And the only other legitimate way to develop and test software for the iPhone is by getting a Mac iPhone developer liscence. These cost $100, which is quite reasonable, and comes with the option of submitting your App to the iTunes store. Without this liscence, it isn't possible to test Apps directly on the iPhone hardware. You can use the iPhone software emulator that comes with the SDK, but a liscence is necessary to test on the iPhone hardware itself.

And that brings us to point two. You must own a copy of Mac OSX, and have access to an Intel-powered Macintosh computer, in order to use the iPhone SDK. Without these, development for the iPhone is not possible. The iPhone SDK is necessary for getting apps running. And the only way to run the SDK is with an Intel-powered Mac running Mac OSX v10.5 or later.

If you are developing for a different touch device, then you will probably have a broader range of options. But these options will be dictated by the device in question. I can't tell you more without knowing about the specific hardware.

bread's done
Back