Turtle Beach Ear Force X4 Gaming Headphones $159 at Best Buy and Amazon

PapaSmerf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
76 (100%)
The Turtle Beach Ear Force X4 Wireless Surround Sound Gaming Headphones for Xbox 360 are $159 at both Best Buy and Amazon.com.

Links:
Best Buy Also in store.

Amazon FSSS

Not a huge deal (20%), but I missed out the last time these went on sale for as low as $139 I believe.

I have been banished to the basement at night to play and still have to turn the sound down. I am going to pick up a pair at Best Buy since I have enough RZ Certs to cover it, but Amazon has no tax and free shipping.

Stupid question, but can these only be used for the 360 or can these be used for other systems or just for watching TV?

[quote name='cycophuk']Stupid question, but can these only be used for the 360 or can these be used for other systems or just for watching TV?[/QUOTE]

Either.. they have a TOSLINK optical input/digital input (and passthrough for output, though I'm unsure if it results in any signal degradation), as well as standard RCA stereo inputs for sound. The mic uses an adapter that plugs into the 360 controller the same way as a regular Xbox headset though.

There's a review of them by another CAG on here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=3352

From my personal experience.. don't get these if you're expecting "perfect" sound quality. IR is pretty susceptible to interference, especially noticeable when being used for audio/video signal transmission. This is especially the case if you have a plasma TV. With my home theater set-up (including a Denon receiver and a bunch of electronics), I couldn't get beyond the hissing noise. It's something that I would expect is dependent upon the listener's preference though, as I'm pretty finicky on that sort of thing. They do a pretty good job of simulating surround sound, but aren't going to give you a pristine crystal clear signal. The level of interference is going to vary on the factors of what you have that could interfere with the IR signal, and where you place the transmitter to minimize that interference.

This price is down from the original MSRP of $200, but I'd suggest buying them in-store if you can and returning them if they don't live up to your expectations (as they're still pricey).

Bought one from Amazon. $144 shipped (with 10% ECA discount).

I didn't have the ECA membership before, so its as if I got the headset, ECA membership (10% off gaming purchases from Amazon for the next year), and $1 off the price of the headsets. Thanks OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PapaSmerf']The Turtle Beach Ear Force X4 Wireless Surround Sound Gaming Headphones for Xbox 360 are $159 at both Best Buy and Amazon.com.

Links:
Best Buy Also in store.

Amazon FSSS

Not a huge deal (20%), but I missed out the last time these went on sale for as low as $139 I believe.

I have been banished to the basement at night to play and still have to turn the sound down. I am going to pick up a pair at Best Buy since I have enough RZ Certs to cover it, but Amazon has no tax and free shipping.
00.gif
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, I need something like this. I rent a house with 3 other people, and I doubt they appreciate my late night gaming sessions every so often. I need some new headphones anyway.

I got the headset on the last amazon promotion and I love them. Great surround
sound and allows one to play at night when the wife is asleep!

Worth every penny if you game a lot early in the morning or late at night. I got them for christmas, and it's my favorite gift in a while. Works great with TV, 360 and PS3

[quote name='elkanich']I got the headset on the last amazon promotion and I love them. Great surround
sound and allows one to play at night when the wife is asleep![/QUOTE]
Exactly why I bought them. A gift for me and her:D.

[quote name='CaptDS9E']Worth every penny if you game a lot early in the morning or late at night. I got them for christmas, and it's my favorite gift in a while. Works great with TV, 360 and PS3[/QUOTE]

Ps3? So they work with the Ps3 for Surround Sound? These Ear Force X4 work with the Ps3?

I still don't know if i like batteries or rechargeable batteries. regular batteries last longer, and are cheaper, and even rechargeable batteries have a shelf life, after a year or so they go kinda sour, last 50% as long, yada yada. You get my point.
151l1259.jpg

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Ps3? So they work with the Ps3 for Surround Sound? These Ear Force X4 work with the Ps3?[/QUOTE]
I believe they do because there is an optical audio connection on the base unit. See the third post and link to a review. The main reason these are for X360 is because of the microphone.

I passed on these back when Newegg was selling for 139. I'm hoping they'll drop them to 99 this holiday season.
thanks for the info anyway OP.

i got this headset about 5 days ago and they're awesome.

the biggest con is the hissing noise and that you have to be in direct line with the receiver to get the least amount of hiss [ head level ]. but the hissing noise is only noticeable during quiet [ dialog only ] situations.

left 4 dead sounds great with these things.

[quote name='backseatdog']is there a ps3 equivalent to this headset?[/QUOTE]

You mean instead of a 360 Mic a Ps3 mic? No. Not yet. They do have some PS3 ones, but they are just "amplified" stereo, not surround sound. You can use these with the PS3 Surround Sounds, their website says so, but you can't chat...unless you shove your wireless mic under the head set.:lol:

[quote name='VegaVegas']I still don't know if i like batteries or rechargeable batteries. regular batteries last longer, and are cheaper, and even rechargeable batteries have a shelf life, after a year or so they go kinda sour, last 50% as long, yada yada. You get my point.
151l1259.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Get the best of both worlds and pick up a set of "hybrid" rechargeable batteries. Sanyo, Duracell, and Rayovac all make them (energizer might as well). They behave like alkaline (long shelf life, little discharge over time, longer usage, no "memory" effect) with the benefit of lower cost over time. I get ~20 - ~30 hours of controller use/headset use before having to recharge them.

I got these a few months ago, and the surround effect is pretty good.. it decodes 5.1 dolby to dolby headphone.. be warned.. these things hiss.. they are not for audiophiles.. I mostly just use them in my bedroom with a DVD player for surround sound.. they are pretty good.. and that way I don't drive my wife crazy late nights.. also keep in mind when they are cranked a little.. the person next to you can still hear it.. the sound is not completely enclosed.

I only bought them on sale, I think it was 140, from amazon. 200 was way too much, 160 if u can snag it is pretty decent too. If you don't care about he surround "effect" save some $$ and wait for the other non-surround version to go on sale that this company makes.

bread's done
Back