Will EB lose your business because of the new TAX?

this is really a touchy topic for you isnt it? i think theyll lose a little (like yours), but a lot of people still will buy from them, like me. i still buy from best buy, and the employees at the stores i frequent are nic. so tax is charged. yea it sucks, but its not gonna stop me from buyng.

Most defintely. Especially since they don't have a physical presense in DC. That pisses me off.

I tend to stay away from online retailers that charge sales tax anyway. What's the point? $50 game both online and in-store. Both charge sales tax. Online also charges shipping. Which would you go with? And don't say "Oh they offer free shipping" because that is horseshit. Why am I going to wait 2 weeks for a game that I could have RIGHT NOW? Because I can save on shipping? Please... :roll:

[quote name='daphatty']Most defintely. Especially since they don't have a physical presense in DC. That pisses me off.

I tend to stay away from online retailers that charge sales tax anyway. What's the point? $50 game both online and in-store. Both charge sales tax. Online also charges shipping. Which would you go with? And don't say "Oh they offer free shipping" because that is horseshit. Why am I going to wait 2 weeks for a game that I could have RIGHT NOW? Because I can save on shipping? Please... :roll:[/quote]
exactly how i feel. the number 1 reason i buy online is no sales tax and if there is free shipping its even better

[quote name='EB']Why can't I order in-stock items for pickup in store?
Because each store carries so many titles, and because the inventory of any given store is constantly changing, it is difficult to accurately track inventory.[/quote]

Difficult to track?

WHAT THE fuck!!

I don't think they will necessarily lose my business. It all comes to the final price, if they can beat the other stores price after tax and shipping I will get the game from them. I usually only buy the games they have good deals on, but they seem to have good deals online quite often. I have picked up quite a few of their games for 9.99 and would still pick up more eventually (Rygar) even with the tax.

It isn't like they are making money off this, the money is going to the state. I am surprised they got away with not charging sales tax for so long. Most companies charge sales tax if they have a B&M store in the state.

In conclusion, it sucks, but you can't hold it against them.

Holy crap, I just noticed it while trying to order a used lightgun.. This will defenitely alter my business with EBgames. They only charge me 7.5% sales tax (its 8.25% on B&M), still this sucks big time..now my 10% anything is now 2.5%..god this sucks. I hope Gamestop dont follow suit.

Granted if you don't pay tax on an online purchase, you are still required to file the purchase on your state income tax form. This debacle went on in the state of California for the '03 tax year, and I actually applaud EB for cutting off this problem at the pass.

I personally would rather have to pay my state sales tax on internet purchases, rather than have the state government start intruding on my life for cheating on the taxes.

[quote name='daphatty']Free shipping is only worth it if:

a) you don't have to pay sales tax or
b) you are getting a HUGE deal online.

:evil:[/quote]

Free shipping is always worth it.

[quote name='BigDirty']Granted if you don't pay tax on an online purchase, you are still required to file the purchase on your state income tax form. This debacle went on in the state of California for the '03 tax year, and I actually applaud EB for cutting off this problem at the pass.

I personally would rather have to pay my state sales tax on internet purchases, rather than have the state government start intruding on my life for cheating on the taxes.[/quote]

The state of California has WAY more problems than just state tax. This coming from a (reluctantly) former Californian.

It seems like I have always paid sales tax with EBgames.com, although yesterday was my first time buying from there in about 1 1/2 years.

Yea I had to pay tax on my 7.99 rygar :( that i just bought. When I was buying my ps2, I bought it from them just so i didnt have to pay the 14.00 extra for tax.

For people who dont even have an EB store within 100 miles, I don't really think it matters. Besides, if it was available for instore pickup, I'd just go to the damn store and pick it up without placing it on hold or whatever.

[quote name='daphatty']
The state of California has WAY more problems than just state tax. This coming from a (reluctantly) former Californian.[/quote]

I hear you on that... I'm just willing to bet that other states start to do the same. I'd also be willing to bet that Jersey takes an example for next tax year (/me hopes my state representatives and senators don't read CAG), and like I said, I'd rather pay the 6% than have state tax auditors all over me.

Granted, this makes buying a new release online absolutely worthless, but I never do that to begin with.

I'm not going to boycott them, if that is what you mean, but there have been some purchases that I made in the past that I would not have made if I'd had to pay sales tax, so they will most likely lose some of my business.

North Carolina does that now too-on the tax programs, there's a field where it 'estimates' your online purchases based on your income, and taxes you a certain rate after-the-fact.
It might not stop me from buying from EB.com, but I'm definitely going to be shopping around a little more. Free shipping helps, but I try to minimize my tax burden as much as possible anyway. About 1/2 my income already goes to various taxes anyway.

[quote name='Scrubking']We need to start finding good alternatives to EBgames.

Any suggestions?[/quote]

How about VideoGameDeals? Unless you live in New York, you won't have to pay taxes. Order enough and they shipping is free. :whistle2:k

The tax on EB will definitely change my shopping there online. Like others have said, the beauty of EB was that they didn't have tax and free shipping, which made them much better than other online retailers. That sucks though that they're gonna start taxing now just because of in-store pickup. Bah, whatevery, this'll just help me not spend so much money on games.

It will deffinitely make me double check the prices i can get from other online sites

If they offer better incentives now since they charge tax then they will keep my business. If not than I will only order from them when necessary

I knew it was only a matter of time before EB had to start charging tax.

I can imagine that they would under a lot of pressure from the US Government to collect tax on their sales. They are a large company, some an under the radar independent store.

Its hard for them to convinve the Government that their website and their retail stores are seperate entities, since they are so similar.

This, is of course, just my opinion.

Y'know, I'm OK with ebgames.com charging sales tax, as long as newegg.com doesn't start charging tax everywhere :p

For a $20 game, tax is only a buck or two (and you'd pay it in-store anyway). As long as they keep free shipping, it works out.
I mean, the only reason I'd order online from them anyway is if there's an online deal. No point anyway in ordering something for the same price you can buy in-store and get right away.

I'm going to buy from Gamestop.com unless they (EBonline) have a special preorder offers. If everywhere start charging tax, I'll buy from B&M stores or Circuit City or Best Buy online (they still have free shipping but w/sales tax).

I'd be fine... so long as I only have to pay my 6 percent sales tax and not 7.5, or 8 or whatever EB feels like charging that day.
I mean, I already pay my use tax for internet purchases... I don't want to be taxed twice.

I'm not saying I won't order from EB anymore, but now it'll have to be a pretty good deal, and exclusive at that, in order to get my business.

Great that they introduce this while I wait for my EB vouchers to arrive. Doh!

[quote name='JSweeney']I'd be fine... so long as I only have to pay my 6 percent sales tax and not 7.5, or 8 or whatever EB feels like charging that day.
I mean, I already pay my use tax for internet purchases... I don't want to be taxed twice.[/quote]

You only have to pay the use tax if the vendor doesn't collect the sales tax for you, right?

bread's done
Back