2009-2010 NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

st0neface

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
The old one was getting pretty long, and now that free agency for the upcoming season has begun, it seemed like a good time as any.

We've had three big moves and a subpar draft thus far, lets hope for some more excitement this summer.

Well, looks like Detroit has come to terms with both Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva. So, now the question is, where will Rip be traded?

lakers-2009-champs.jpg

Grizzlies agree to trade Q-Rich to the Clippers for Randolph.

Woooooooooooooooooo. Well, that makes way for Griffin. Also, Clippers get some cap relief. =D

[quote name='st0neface']Well, looks like Detroit has come to terms with both Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva. So, now the question is, where will Rip be traded?[/QUOTE]

Joe Dumars is building an all-UConn team! Also: He is committed to the team sucking for the next five years, apparently :lol:

[quote name='Bathory']Lakers pic[/QUOTE]

:roll: @ Adam Morrison getting a freebie ring. Talk about lucking out.

You know those birthday parties you go to in college......where everybody hates the fuckin' dude....but there's free liqour and you show up because you have a sneaky inclination that if you don't he'll chop your balls off?

That's what I see when I look at everybody around Kobe.....

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']:roll: @ Adam Morrison getting a freebie ring. Talk about lucking out.[/QUOTE]

If you think about it.. the majority of the Lakers got a freebie ring..

Well, that's a dumb thing to say. The Lakers got solid contributions from Kobe, Gasol, Ariza, Odom, Fish, Bynum, and even Luke Walton from time to time. It's not like the team is just Kobe and a bunch of scrubs.

So, Ben Gordon signed for 5 years at $55 million? He must have just plain wanted out, because that's certainly not some obscene amount that the Bulls couldn't afford.

I know it was almost inevitable that he would leave, but these circumstances and the fact that he went to Detroit(I strongly dislike that team and their filthy city) makes it sting more.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are players on every championship team that you could said didn't contribute. I know Morrison is a little different considering he didn't even dress for any of the playoff games, but thats not his fault.

Anyway, I still don't know what the wizards are doing. It seems that the GM has an obsession with guards and is collecting them. Hopefully that get a trade for Mike James and Stevenson to get some big men and make room for Foye and Miller

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Look out for the magic, especially if they can land Rasheed or Brandon Bass.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Losing Turkoglu kind of sucks, but I never really liked having him and Lewis on the court at the same time.

With Carter they get a scorer who can create his own shot, which is sorely needed.

Now they just need a true PF to put beside Howard in the blocks while Howard is still trying to develop some semblance of a low post game beyond spinning and dunking.

They get Wallace or Bass and they've got all the pieces they need. Bass is probably more likely, Rasheed will probably want more than they can afford now that they have Vince's big contract on top of Lewis and Howard's.

Cleveland is looking to make more moves.

Just said on Sportscenter that they're going hard after Ron Artest and Trevor Ariza.

Said the Lakers are only willing to offer Ariza the mid-level exception of $5.6 million.

Cavs are now apparently trying to get Ron Artest and Trevor Ariza, per Sportscenter.

Lakers are only offering Ariza the mid-level exception. But apparently that's all the Cavs can offer as well, so he'd only leave if he just wanted out, was upset the Lakers didn't go above the mid-level etc.

And the Celtics are meeting with Rasheed Wallace soon.

[quote name='Matt Young']
So, Ben Gordon signed for 5 years at $55 million? He must have just plain wanted out, because that's certainly not some obscene amount that the Bulls couldn't afford.

I know it was almost inevitable that he would leave, but these circumstances and the fact that he went to Detroit(I strongly dislike that team and their filthy city) makes it sting more.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'm good with Gordon leaving. He makes big shots, but sometimes he just throws up ridiculous shit that doesn't have a chance of going in. His defense kinda sucks too.

I like Artest and would like to see him contribute positively in LA, but there's always a good chance that he can royally fuck up team chemistry.

I really don't see The Magic signing Bass. I'd like to see it, but he'd command at least our MLE, and I'm sure Cuban would be happy to match it. I would like to see Ariza come back to spite LA, but I doubt that one, too. From what I've read, Dwight doesn't want Rasheed to come, as it would cut down on his touches even more. What we need is some kind of poor man's Tayshaun Prince/Shane Battier. Plays defense, helps make the whole team better, high character guy without an ego. Also, if we do let Gortat go to Dallas as it's been reported, I'd really like a sign and trade that involves Ahmad Nivins. I really like that kid.

^ariza is a rocket now

poor ariza and stupid agent now he'll be stuck with a likely lottery team while we storm our way to a repeat

[quote name='Nelo Ice']^ariza is a rocket now

poor ariza and stupid agent now he'll be stuck with a likely lottery team while we storm our way to a repeat[/QUOTE]

Eh....with Artest gone.....Yao done for the year and T-Mac soon off the books.....

Brooks/Ariza/Scola.....plus a high draft pick next year (John Wall aka next Dwayne Wade).....shit load of cap space (sign Bosh, Texan native)

Brooks/Ariza/Scola/Bosh.....and trade Yao for something......

They'll bounce back.

this year they'll be in a giant hole but we just reloaded and got even better
at this point in 010 superstars will bounce around making shitty teams mediocre while we sit tight aiming for another ring

I'm disappointed Ariza left. Staying with the Lakers, who knows how much better he could have gotten. Not to say he won't get better elsewhere, but he was developing very nicely in LA. Artest is a great player, and better than Ariza right now, but what about a couple years from now? And Ariza became a go-to 3-point option in the post season. They are going to miss that unless someone else steps up, since Artest is a very streaky long-distance shooter.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I'm disappointed Ariza left. Staying with the Lakers, who knows how much better he could have gotten. Not to say he won't get better elsewhere, but he was developing very nicely in LA. Artest is a great player, and better than Ariza right now, but what about a couple years from now? And Ariza became a go-to 3-point option in the post season. They are going to miss that unless someone else steps up, since Artest is a very streaky long-distance shooter.[/QUOTE]

we offerered him the mle but he thought he was worth more :lol:
yeah he improved but it was only one season and during a contract year plus he had kobe odom and pau to take the pressure off him
for all we kno he could be another sasha/luke

ariza and his agent are idiots not to take our offer now he'll sit on a rebuilding rockets team while we march toward a repeat

Yeah, the Lakers really shouldn't have offered Ariza such a shitty contract. Offering a player with ridiculous upside that has proven he can greatly contribute to a championship team a meager MLE is a sure slap in the face.

On the other side of the coast, wtf is the Knicks thinking about signing J.Kidd? The dude will not entice LBJ or any of the high profile FA's of 2010 to sign with the team and besides, he is not the kind of player a rebuilding team needs. Not to mention he is a defensive liability. (CP3 demolished him)

[quote name='knightsdwn']Yeah, the Lakers really shouldn't have offered Ariza such a shitty contract. Offering a player with ridiculous upside that has proven he can greatly contribute to a championship team a meager MLE is a sure slap in the face.

On the other side of the coast, wtf is the Knicks thinking about signing J.Kidd? The dude will not entice LBJ or any of the high profile FA's of 2010 to sign with the team and besides, he is not the kind of player a rebuilding team needs. Not to mention he is a defensive liability. (CP3 demolished him)[/QUOTE]

ariza accepted the same mle from the rockets that the lakers were offering him :lol::lol::lol:

[quote name='Nelo Ice']we offerered him the mle but he thought he was worth more :lol:
yeah he improved but it was only one season and during a contract year plus he had kobe odom and pau to take the pressure off him
for all we kno he could be another sasha/luke

ariza and his agent are idiots not to take our offer now he'll sit on a rebuilding rockets team while we march toward a repeat[/QUOTE]

That's just it: He fit into the team very well. He was an excellent 3rd or 4th option who was athletic, could shoot, and played solid D. In this instance, the agent is clearly at fault, but the Lakers could have offered a bit more for someone who is young and fills a role perfectly.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']ariza accepted the same mle from the rockets that the lakers were offering him :lol::lol::lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah he did just to spite the Lakers ;). The Lakers had the cash to spend on him but I guess Mitch Kup-cake prioritized Odom higher.

I think the Rockets offered Ariza the full MLE of 5 years 30-ish mill. Not bad but I think he definitely should have been offered more from the Lakers.

As for Artest in the Lakers, I'm hoping he keeps quiet like he did in the Rockets and maybe perhaps he can win a ring.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']That's just it: He fit into the team very well. He was an excellent 3rd or 4th option who was athletic, could shoot, and played solid D. In this instance, the agent is clearly at fault, but the Lakers could have offered a bit more for someone who is young and fills a role perfectly.[/QUOTE]

ariza is not worth over paying and like u said hes the 3rd or 4th option
mitch did the right thing and got the better player for cheaper for less years and money(if artest decides to go the 3 year route)

also if he deserved more money then why in the world did ariza accept the same contract he couldve gotten from the lakers
his agent is at fault here but at the same time if he wanted to stay he shouldve just taken the contract regardless of his agents demands

[quote name='Nelo Ice']
also if he deserved more money then why in the world did ariza accept the same contract he couldve gotten from the lakers
his agent is at fault here but at the same time if he wanted to stay he shouldve just taken the contract regardless of his agents demands[/QUOTE]

An excerpt from an espn.com article -

"ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan reports that Ariza, according to sources, will receive the Rockets' full mid-level exception, which is being projected to come in at $5.8 million for next season. If the exception for the 2009-10 season is indeed set at $5.8 million Wednesday when the league announces next season's salary cap and luxury tax, Ariza's deal would be worth $33.5 million.

The Rockets shifted their focus away from Orlando Magic restricted free agent Marcin Gortat on Thursday when it became clear that Gortat was on the verge of reaching terms with the Dallas Mavericks and when it became known leaguewide that Ariza was determined to leave his hometown Lakers -- in spite of his vital contributions to L.A.'s championship run -- because they were unwilling to start his new contract higher than the mid-level exception."

A stupid reason I know lol. Still, if the Lakers only ponied up a little more cash they could've kept him instead of an aging unpredictable Artest. Hell, use the $3 mill the Knicks gave you guys for that pick ;).

[quote name='Nelo Ice']since when did overpaying for role players ever work out? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on the definition of overpaying and the player itself.

If you want to see true overpaying go look at what the Knicks signed Jerome James to several years ago and more recently, Jarred Jeffries.

But yeah, you could be right and Ariza's postseason was just a fluke and was an effort to score big in free agency. (A la Posey) Or he can become the next big thing. I don't know. But from what I can gather, "overpaying" Ariza an extra mill that the Lakers had at their disposal on a young player with lots of potential that has shown that he can compete at a championship caliber can work out.

[quote name='st0neface']From what I've read, Dwight doesn't want Rasheed to come, as it would cut down on his touches even more. What we need is some kind of poor man's Tayshaun Prince/Shane Battier. Plays defense, helps make the whole team better, high character guy without an ego. Also, if we do let Gortat go to Dallas as it's been reported, I'd really like a sign and trade that involves Ahmad Nivins. I really like that kid.[/QUOTE]

Dwight just needs to shut up and get better.

He'd get more touches if he'd developed any semblance of offensive skill over his 5 years in the league. All he can do is catch and spin and either dunk, attempt a layup or get fouled. Get a freaking short jump shot, or a hook shot, or a turn around and you can have more touches. Hard to get more touches when you can't score over people often and are a liability at the line late in games.

I don't like hearing about Gortat likely leaving. With Battie traded as well that really leaves no back up center. They really needed to keep Battie and pick up power forward. Nivins was good in college, but he's unlikely to contribute a lot next year if they get him.

But maybe with Gortat out of the picture they can find a way to resign Turkoglu--assuming the Blazers don't throw him a max deal offer or something crazy. They could match the offer for Gortat, but that would also put them in the luxury tax. If they're going to do that, might as well go a bit higher and do it for Turkoglu instead IMO.

But at least the Cavs didn't get either Artest or Ariza!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']
:roll: @ Adam Morrison getting a freebie ring. Talk about lucking out.[/QUOTE]
Don't diss Ammo. He's the reason the Lakers won.

[quote name='knightsdwn']
A stupid reason I know lol. Still, if the Lakers only ponied up a little more cash they could've kept him instead of an aging unpredictable Artest. Hell, use the $3 mill the Knicks gave you guys for that pick ;).[/QUOTE]

Artest has been on good behavior for a couple years now. That, and at this point, he's still better than Ariza, especially on defense. I hate to see Trevor go, but I've been an Artest fan since the Bulls drafted him and he should be kept in check under Phil Jackson.

[quote name='mooshie78']...But at least the Cavs didn't get either Artest or Ariza![/QUOTE]

I have a feeling that Ariza didn't sign with the Cavs for the same reason he didn't sign with the Lakers. He has a championship now, and he wasn't going to make a ton more money anywhere, so he went were he would be featured more prominently in the offense.

That said, I have a feeling that the Cavs have been offering players one year deals for the MLE instead of these multi-year deals they're all signing. I can't really blame them. Why mess up all that cap space maneuvering for some moderately talented or questionable free agents?

Ugh, Ron Artest a Laker now, which means I actually have to somewhat root for the lakers now since he is one of my favorite players. Gay.

Trevor should have tried to go to a better team than the Rockets. The Rockets future is so up in arms with both of their superstars hurt and loosing their 3rd to the team you just left.

I am loving what the Pistons are doing this off season but I wish they would have made a strong push for Trevor, trade bum ass Prince and throw some money to get him.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Ugh, Ron Artest a Laker now, which means I actually have to somewhat root for the lakers now since he is one of my favorite players. Gay.

[/QUOTE]

Suddenly, I really like the Lakers picking up Artest even more :lol:

[quote name='mooshie78']Dwight just needs to shut up and get better.

He'd get more touches if he'd developed any semblance of offensive skill over his 5 years in the league. All he can do is catch and spin and either dunk, attempt a layup or get fouled. Get a freaking short jump shot, or a hook shot, or a turn around and you can have more touches. Hard to get more touches when you can't score over people often and are a liability at the line late in games.

I don't like hearing about Gortat likely leaving. With Battie traded as well that really leaves no back up center. They really needed to keep Battie and pick up power forward. Nivins was good in college, but he's unlikely to contribute a lot next year if they get him.

But maybe with Gortat out of the picture they can find a way to resign Turkoglu--assuming the Blazers don't throw him a max deal offer or something crazy. They could match the offer for Gortat, but that would also put them in the luxury tax. If they're going to do that, might as well go a bit higher and do it for Turkoglu instead IMO.

But at least the Cavs didn't get either Artest or Ariza![/QUOTE]

Turkoglu is pretty much gone. It looks like the Raptors are trying to throw out a better deal than the Blazers threw out.

It also saddens me to know that Gortat is most likely gone. It sounds like Otis Smith is more concerned with trying to land Rasheed than matching the Dallas offer.

I can't believe we are trying to go after Brandon Bass... ugh.

[quote name='"ph33r m3"']Eh....with Artest gone.....Yao done for the year and T-Mac soon off the books.....

Brooks/Ariza/Scola.....plus a high draft pick next year (John Wall aka next Dwayne Wade).....shit load of cap space (sign Bosh, Texan native)

Brooks/Ariza/Scola/Bosh.....and trade Yao for something......

They'll bounce back.[/QUOTE]

The rockets are pretty done with Yao down. As for Bosh, he is going to play with D Wade done in Miami. Miami and New York are the two teams looking to make out big during next years free agency.

The Lakers are going to be hard to beat now with Artest (great defense) on the team. I wonder how though the offense will work for them next year.

Good article on Ariza/Artest. Pretty much sums it up.. with a lot of Ariza bashing. Haha.

Anyway. Seems like Lakers are enroute for a 2-peat. :applause:

Well.. maybe.. if Artest doesn't mess things up.

[quote name='dopa345']Celtics are going to regret letting Leon Powe go, though getting Rasheed will somewhat make up for it.[/QUOTE]
They could still bring back Powe, nobodys going to sign him until he's healthy and that won't be until at least February.

Sheed would be good off the bench but I don't think he sees himself as a bench player. He'll opt for some sucky team where he can start.

The Celtics offered Starbury the veteran minimum, probably about all he's worth and all the C's can give since they already offered the full MLE to Sheed. Maybe some shitty team will offer some of their MLE.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I REALLY hope the Lakers hold on to Odom

Phil is back for sure, really? If so, that's great :D[/QUOTE]
Me too im really not too happy about losing Ariza but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back