Chrono Trigger (DS) - $19.99 - Official Price Drop

[quote name='Josef']It's finally the price it should've been released at.[/QUOTE]
So true.

Thanks OP! This was my pricepoint and it has been purchased.

[quote name='heyheyhey11']Does 2b1f promotion work on their online store?[/QUOTE]

in store only

[quote name='rapsodist']... but if it has, it would go nicely with the B2G1 deal this week.[/QUOTE]

Pardon? I thought this deal turned out to be a hoax? Link?

National Price Drop
Sonic Chronicles (DS) $19.99
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure (DS) $19.99

Chrono Trigger (DS) $19.99 at BB and $29.99 at GS/EB
Broken Sword (DS) $19.99 and $29.99 at GS/EB

Although I generally object to SquareEnix's policy of marking up all of their games by $5 - $10 dollars, this particular case has a bit more justification. For years, the best version of Chrono Trigger has always been the original SNES version. It was re-released as part of a 2-game bundle for the PS1, but that version was plagued by lengthy load times. And purchasing even a used copy of such a limited release and fondly remembered title for the SNES is a daunting proposition. These days, paying upwards of $60 for a copy of Chrono Trigger for the SNES in decent condition is perfectly normal. A still boxed copy of Chrono Trigger would go for over $100, no problem.

So having a new version of Chrono Trigger, with all of the cutscenes from the PS1 version, a near-flawless audio conversion, touchscreen controls, and even new areas, is probably worth the $40 it was released at. I have a friend who was seriously considering picking up a DS, just to play this game on it. And he's already played the original through four or five times. Some re-releases for the DS don't warrent a premium price point. Charging $40 for the Dragon Quest re-releases just doesn't cut it, despite the fact that they probably contain far more new content. But Chrono Trigger can get away with this. The fanatacism surrounding this game is that great.

That said, this price drop is quite welcome. I had already picked it up when it was on sale for $30. But now I might just grab an extra copy as a gift for my friend, or even my brother. (who is also a rabid Trigger fan) I hadn't really been planning on taking advantage of the current B1G1F deal at Best Buy this week. But between this, Henry Hatsworth, and the Sonic RPG, I just might have to stop off and pick up some games.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Although I generally object to SquareEnix's policy of marking up all of their games by $5 - $10 dollars, this particular case has a bit more justification. For years, the best version of Chrono Trigger has always been the original SNES version. It was re-released as part of a 2-game bundle for the PS1, but that version was plagued by lengthy load times. And purchasing even a used copy of such a limited release and fondly remembered title for the SNES is a daunting proposition. These days, paying upwards of $60 for a copy of Chrono Trigger for the SNES in decent condition is perfectly normal. A still boxed copy of Chrono Trigger would go for over $100, no problem.

So having a new version of Chrono Trigger, with all of the cutscenes from the PS1 version, a near-flawless audio conversion, touchscreen controls, and even new areas, is probably worth the $40 it was released at. I have a friend who was seriously considering picking up a DS, just to play this game on it. And he's already played the original through four or five times. Some re-releases for the DS don't warrent a premium price point. Charging $40 for the Dragon Quest re-releases just doesn't cut it, despite the fact that they probably contain far more new content. But Chrono Trigger can get away with this. The fanatacism surrounding this game is that great.

That said, this price drop is quite welcome. I had already picked it up when it was on sale for $30. But now I might just grab an extra copy as a gift for my friend, or even my brother. (who is also a rabid Trigger fan) I hadn't really been planning on taking advantage of the current B1G1F deal at Best Buy this week. But between this, Henry Hatsworth, and the Sonic RPG, I just might have to stop off and pick up some games.[/QUOTE]

your friend only played original snes chrono trigger 4-5 times, ive played it like over 40 times about. so its natural i bought this one for ds at launch date.
i was so worth the premium price. it seems to me that only chrono trigger ds can be a justified re-release.

Now see, this is a good, wholesome deal on a wonderful game that everyone can enjoy!...

ive played it like over 40 times about.

...but maybe not that much.

roc's feather;6041527 said:
Pardon? I thought this deal turned out to be a hoax? Link?

Not sure where you got that idea. It's in the BB ad for this week. I just picked up 3 DS games yesterday using the deal. It's in-store only.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228975
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat8400050004&type=category (4th listing)

However, when I was in BB yesterday, CT was $29.99. I'm not sure if the in-store price has changed to reflect the website's price.

If the in-store price is still $29.99, I'm pretty sure they will price match the website. They did that for me when I bought a TV from them.

Good post op. =)
151l1259.jpg

Finally my price point, and what makes it even better are the GCs I got in the mail last week. Not available for store pickup, so I ordered. Thanks OP!

[quote name='disillusion386']So what's another $20 game I can get with this and Henry Hatsworth? I need to take advantage of that b2g1 deal.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the same thing. I scrolled through all of the $25 and under games on the site and those two were the only ones I could find. Moon looks pretty good, but my store didn't have it.

[quote name='Masterkyo']National Price Drop
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure (DS) $19.99
Broken Sword (DS) $19.99 and $29.99 at GS/EB[/QUOTE]

oh wow, Broken Sword finally dropped as well. Guess its those two and something else this weekend

I just got back from Best Buy and Chrono Trigger was marked $19.99 so I got it, Sonic Chronicles, and Broken Sword for about $40.

Dang it. I know my local BB does not have the game in stock. :( I'll have to wait for Amazon.

[quote name='Raye']Dang it. I know my local BB does not have the game in stock. :( I'll have to wait for Amazon.[/QUOTE]

BestBuy.com said that it didnt have 4 of the 6 games at my local store that i was actually able to buy there.

I don't have much experience with Bestbuy but when it comes to picking up in store from an online order, is there any way to get in on the B2G1? Maybe immediately return it when I pick it up and rebuy with another game?

Just looking for the easiest way to get it done :)

[quote name='DrUnkAgAIn']Amazon is matching this.

http://www.amazon.com/Chrono-Trigge..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1246924634&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

Man, nowadays it seems like you can just wait for Amazon to match these BM deals themselves without needing to worry too much about heading to a store to pick up a game. The last few times I had thought about heading out to Target to pick up a game on sale, Amazon already was matching it! On top of that free shipping and no tax (outside of NY anyways). It does help always having other things I need to get to help with the FSSS...

Thanks for posting this.

I stopped by a BB this morning, but they had nothing worthwhile.

I checked CAG at school and saw this thread, called up the store locator, and found one BB in the area with Chrono Trigger.

Went, and the last one was waiting for me.

[quote name='trunks982']im gonna get:

Chrono Trigger
Henry Hatsworth

For the third game..... do u guys suggest Moon or Broken Sword?[/QUOTE]

depends, if you've never played Broken Sword but dig point & click games, you've been seriously missing out. If you want a pretty good (for a handheld) FPS, then get Moon

If you haven't bought this game then you need to! At this price its crazy not to. One of the shining moments in video game history.

I just picked it up today at BB in Marina, CA. The B2G1 was in full effect. They had a bunch of DS games on sale in the clearance rack for $5.00. So I picked up two of them (Civilization Revolution and Brothers in Arms) along with Chrono Trigger. The best part was that the guy working the register rang up the first two games at $5.00, then Chrono Trigger at $19.99. The Computer kicked in and instantly applied the B2G1 coupon and Chrono Trigger rang up as $0.00. I got three games, including Chrono Trigger for $10.83!

[quote name='scubacoug']I just picked it up today at BB in Marina, CA. The B2G1 was in full effect. They had a bunch of DS games on sale in the clearance rack for $5.00. So I picked up two of them (Civilization Revolution and Brothers in Arms) along with Chrono Trigger. The best part was that the guy working the register rang up the first two games at $5.00, then Chrono Trigger at $19.99. The Computer kicked in and instantly applied the B2G1 coupon and Chrono Trigger rang up as $0.00. I got three games, including Chrono Trigger for $10.83![/QUOTE]

Scan for proof

[quote name='joshnorm']Scan for proof[/QUOTE]

It's been discussed in the main Best Buy deals thread. Known glitch. I'm planning to visit Best Buy in the morning myself.

[quote name='disillusion386']So what's another $20 game I can get with this and Henry Hatsworth? I need to take advantage of that b2g1 deal.[/QUOTE]

Lock's Quest

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood is another good choice for $19.99. Sega published, Bioware developed, and the result is something close to Super Mario RPG.

All the Best Buys in my current area are sold out of Chrono Trigger. So I went ahead and ordered it off Amazon.com along with the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete blu-ray. Wish the ECA discount was working, but even so, both items were in my Gold Box, so I took the plunge.

bread's done
Back