Advent 30" HDTV $499 at Kmart

Save the $499 and get a real TV. Advent is horrible. I've been in the market for a TV now for 6 weeks, and so far Advent is one of the worst brands I have come across.

Might be something nice to put in the garage. Time to butter up the parents. Anyone have one of these sets? Never really heard of it before.

Yeah.. I guess I'll wait for them to go down in price. But it doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. I would love a small (24-30") WS HDTV for gaming... soooo sweet... soooo sweeet.....

Best Buy had that 27" Advent on sale 2 weeks ago for $349.99. I am torn between which HDTV to buy right now. I am leaning towards a Sanyo TX-P2764 that Best Buy currently sells for $499. The picture looks very nice and the set has a lot of good features.

How is Advent the worst? I'm seriously considering this, and would love to hear some specifics, and links to reviews if possible. Googling it, as usual, turns up a bunch of sites that sell it and none that have actual reviews.

Have you actually looked at the Advent? There is a reason it is $349-499 and not recommended by anyone looking for a quality HDTV. The buttons feel cheap and almost as if they are going to pop off the tv at a moment's notice. The picture overall is washed out, which is expected to a degree when watching SD. The construction of the set just feels...cheap. The only positive for it is that things do look OK when it is running in 1080, but certainly not as good as other TV's in the same price range. HDTV isn't really one of those things you can cheap out on yet. You can get a great Widescreen HDTV for a few bucks more that will blow the Advent out of the water. The same with a standard 4:3 TV. There is a reason why those Advent TV's are so cheap.

I have an advent 32" and its been the best tv ive ever owned. Way better than sony. Don't listen to this guy 499 is a great deal

Oh, one last thing about the Advent, at least for the 27". It only has Component Input as it's High Def. source. It is also a native 4:3 set, which will produce black bars when viewed. The 30" is a 16:9 and does feature DVI. Just remember that for a few bucks more, you can buy a much much better set, often with a better name and quality than Advent.

Well, how much more would I spend for a comparable (16:9, 30") TV from a better manufacturer, and from where?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Oh, one last thing about the Advent, at least for the 27". It only has Component Input as it's High Def. source. It is also a native 4:3 set, which will produce black bars when viewed. The 30" is a 16:9 and does feature DVI. Just remember that for a few bucks more, you can buy a much much better set, often with a better name and quality than Advent.[/quote]

What TV would be better for that price? I am looking for one.

A few more choices within most low end HDTV ranges:

SANYO HT30744 30 inch 16:9. This tv has a built in tuner, as well as 2 component in's and HMDI. You can pick one up at your local walmart for $647.00. This TV has gotten very good reviews from many sites.http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...7&type=19&dept=3944&path=0:3944:121791:179901

If widescreen is not your thing, the Samsung TX-P2764 is a very good set for the price $499. It's 27" at a 4:3. DVI input plus component input here, as well as a very nice picture. The only thing holding me back from personally buying this set is the 4:3 ratio, but the more I read about it, the more I am leaning towards it.

Another popular samsung is the TX-P2775H which is also 27" and has a built in tuner. It can be had for about $547 at circuit city, perhaps less.

I've also heard good thing about the Panasonic Tau's, but they run about 660ish. (30" 16:9)

I would much rather pay the extra $ on the Sanyo or a 27" samsung than to buy an Advent. Granted there are many more HDTV choices out there, but for the sub-650ish range, those are some of the best. Not a single sony or toshiba that is HDTV ready can be had for that price, (at least at BB or CC).

$147 is quite a difference. Does anyone know K-Mart's return policy? I might just grab one, and then take it back if it does indeed blow.

Looks like it's 30 days. That would certainly give me enough time to put it through a lot of testing.

I don't know if that's kosher or not, but if it is, a PM from an MD CAG working at K-Mart would be much appreciated.

I have the 27" version from BB and it has been great for me, I am not a huge TV buff but it was a good deal for the money.

[quote name='mkelehan']$147 is quite a difference. Does anyone know K-Mart's return policy? I might just grab one, and then take it back if it does indeed blow.

Looks like it's 30 days. That would certainly give me enough time to put it through a lot of testing.[/quote]
Yeah...$147 is quite the difference :roll: ...considering the Sanyo has a BUILT IN HDTV TUNER, not to mention it is high rated for it's price range. Do you know anything about HDTV, or are you just shopping on price here? A tuner alone is worth $200+. Tack that on to the Advent and tell me how much the price is.

If you do buy the Advent, I hope you get the extended service plan. Oh, and I hope you enjoy carrying a 143lb TV back and forth just to exchange it.

[quote name='mtxbass1'][quote name='mkelehan']$147 is quite a difference. Does anyone know K-Mart's return policy? I might just grab one, and then take it back if it does indeed blow.

Looks like it's 30 days. That would certainly give me enough time to put it through a lot of testing.[/quote]
Yeah...$147 is quite the difference :roll: ...considering the Sanyo has a BUILT IN HDTV TUNER, not to mention it is high rated for it's price range. Do you know anything about HDTV, or are you just shopping on price here? A tuner alone is worth $200+. Tack that on to the Advent and tell me how much the price is.

If you do buy the Advent, I hope you get the extended service plan. Oh, and I hope you enjoy carrying a 143lb TV back and forth just to exchange it.[/quote]

Nowadays, built in HDTV's are nice, but unnecessary. Usuaully your cable provider ends up letting you "rent" an HDTV-capable cable box when you subscribe for the service. There are very few towns that actually broadcast HDTV channels, and if they do, it's probably only going to be news channels.

But still, I agree with you... I'd rather go with Sanyo, simply cuz of name recognition and reviews.

Even if you do get HDTV service from your cable provider a good chunk of them don't have all the local HDTV channels available so yeah having a built in tuner is good indeed. :D

my friend has the 27 inch advent. he likes it, and i think the picture looks great. he doesn't have hd hooked up yet, but the picture already looks good. the 30 inch advent sells for 750 regular price so thats one hell of a deal. if i already didn't own the sanyo 30 inch, then i'd buy this one.

bread's done
Back