PC Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall & Elder Scrolls: Arena - FREE Download

phogoodness

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
I already own Daggerfall and despite all the bugs I still play it from time to time. Great game, love the dungeon crawling. :)

[quote name='bfg9k']This was posted around three years ago, actually... :)[/QUOTE]

If memory serves, that was only for Arena.. this is the first time I've ever heard of Bethesda giving away Daggerfall for free.

[quote name='Roufuss']If memory serves, that was only for Arena.. this is the first time I've ever heard of Bethesda giving away Daggerfall for free.[/QUOTE]

All I can tell you is that I downloaded both files on the same date.

[quote name='Zanpakuto']Thanks for the great find! I'll definitely get
iy.gif
them![/QUOTE]
This is really a great find, I am downloading right now.

[quote name='Vegan']I knew Arena had been free forever, but Daggerfall being free is news to me.[/QUOTE]

Was just released today in recognition of the series 15th anniversary -

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93046-Bethesda-Releases-Daggerfall-For-Free

To celebrate the 15th anniversary of the series and "despite saying we'd never do it," the company has released a free version of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall to download.

It's very awesome because they easily could have thrown this up on any number of DD services and made money off of it, so kudos to them.

Here is a somewhat decent guide on getting DOSbox to work for it as well -

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59477

Guide works perfectly, got it up and running as we speak. Lots of memories from playing this as a kid and getting it for christmas.

Shoot; couldn't install Arena on Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Second one downloading...
Thanks OP, love RPGs / dungeon crawlers, never played these.

Yeah I specifically remember looking for it before I bought it off Ebay a while back.

I actually preferred the long winding procedurally generated dungeons (but not the overworld/cities) of Daggerfall to the hand made ones in Morrowind and Oblivion; I never thought hand made ruins/caves could feel more repetitive than random ones. The graphics are really dated now, but it's still good.

My download of Daggerfall gave me a zipped file that I believe should be an .exe; how can I convert it? I'm running Winvows Vista 64-bit.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Minimum system requirements:
486DX2/66

:)[/QUOTE]
Man those were badass back when we had a 486DX/33 with 4MB of RAM and an 80MB hard drive. It was worth the upgrade to double your CPU speed!

I try downloading this, and it's been going very slow and just not finishing. I tried using IE and Firefox, right now it's going 3kbps. I could get speeds up to 600kb/s. Anyone have any ideas? I'm on Windows Vista 64bit. Other downloads work fine too :(

[quote name='sergioalb64']My download of Daggerfall gave me a zipped file that I believe should be an .exe; how can I convert it? I'm running Winvows Vista 64-bit.[/QUOTE]

I think you should let Bethesda be the judge of what type of file it's supposed to be.

/confused

[quote name='Vegan']I think you should let Bethesda be the judge of what type of file it's supposed to be.

/confused[/QUOTE]

Well, see, I download it, it's a zip file, it won't open or extract.

I'm surprised they're giving Daggerfall away. A lot of people still would pay a few bucks for that. But I'm not complainin'. We'll see how much trouble it is to run on XP SP3 though...

Uggh. Their server must be swamped, it ain't DLing. Well...14 KB/sec. LOL this is like the old Windows 95 updates via dialup. You leave it running when you go to bed and hope you don't lose the connection before you get up.

And...it crashed at 648 KB. Hmmm let's try the fileshack mirror...

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Winzip for the Win! Zip![/QUOTE]

Yeah! It's weird; my first download was slow and the zip file wouldn't extract with 7-Zip. Second download from a mirror was much faster and the zip file 'decided' to extract nicely; go figure.

man I loved this game, bugs and all. I can't remember how many times I fell through a floor or got stuck in a wall, but this game rocked.. I'm just afraid to play it now and ruin my nostalgia. :)

This is a dream come true! Daggerfall! I can't find my original disc (yet somehow I still have the box), so I'm really excited to play this. I was just checking last month to see if Bethesda had a D/L and rumor had it that the source code was lost. I can't wait to D/L. One of my all time faves.

[quote name='sergioalb64']Yeah! It's weird; my first download was slow and the zip file wouldn't extract with 7-Zip. Second download from a mirror was much faster and the zip file 'decided' to extract nicely; go figure.[/QUOTE]

The file from the main host probably didn't actually finish, and that's why it wouldn't open. That thing was getting totally thrashed yesterday, my download failed 3 times before I gave up and decided to hold off for a bit.

much thanks on the find OP, and on the fileshack link rennervision....looks like i'll be having a little fun today after all

Daggerfall is retardedly hard at the end without gamefaqs.

Still haven't tried Morrowind or Oblivion, but I beat both Arena and Daggerfall (disc-based copies) a few years ago. For Morrowind and Oblivion, what is the best system to buy them for?

Is PC still the way to go, post-"consolization"?

PC in this case. The controls are complex and much more suited to a mouse and keyboard. I've played Oblivion on the 360, and it was not NEARLY as good.

[quote name='Gamelore']Daggerfall is retardedly hard at the end without gamefaqs.

Still haven't tried Morrowind or Oblivion, but I beat both Arena and Daggerfall (disc-based copies) a few years ago. For Morrowind and Oblivion, what is the best system to buy them for?

Is PC still the way to go, post-"consolization"?[/QUOTE]

PC and PC. No contest.

And like evryone else said, forget the Bethesda server for downloading Daggerfall. Just get it from FileWhatever (Front? Shack? Planet? hell I get them mixed up).

And yeah 7 zip is what I use for extracting files, I don't know why I typed winzip. Trying to hard to be funny I guess.

Now we need a comprehensive strategy for getting this thing to run on modern O/S's. I can't even get the installer started.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']
Now we need a comprehensive strategy for getting this thing to run on modern O/S's. I can't even get the installer started.[/QUOTE]

Did you read the instructions? It's step by step how to get it running in Dosbox.

[quote name='nexen']Battlespire and Redguard next please Bethsoft![/QUOTE]

no doubt..

Still have my boxed arena and daggerfall with guide.. Love these games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I had this with original box and manual. Wish my parents hadn't given it away. Now I can replay again!

Thanks for the Filefront link. The main site is still hammered this morning. I swear the server is actually a Commodore 64.

bread's done
Back