(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
NICE!!!, thanks.

I checked yesterday around 10pm for Prototype, but it was sold out, so I never even got to check myself. Good news for everyone w. ECA accounts. :)

You beat me :). Glad they're back. Too bad I missed out on using them for Prototype yesterday. But hell, getting mad at a nonprofit is stupid.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']Just a heads up, the codes are back and working. Just ordered new Super Mario Bros. Wii from my gold box today.

$39.94 shipped:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:[/QUOTE]

What sort of assurances have they given, if any, about this not happening in the future? I haven't signed up yet but am still considering it.

[quote name='bvharris']What sort of assurances have they given, if any, about this not happening in the future? I haven't signed up yet but am still considering it.[/QUOTE]
I haven't checked their forums, but I'm sure this will happen again. I would suggest stocking up on some codes and placing your orders. At worst, you can always easily cancel Amazon orders and re-order if it shows up in your gold box.

Oh crap, I just tried ordering Metroid Prime Trilogy and it said the code could not be applied to the purchase! I tried a second code and it said the same thing! WTF?!?

[quote name='emeraldgsl']I haven't checked their forums, but I'm sure this will happen again. I would suggest stocking up on some codes and placing your orders. At worst, you can always easily cancel Amazon orders and re-order if it shows up in your gold box.

Oh crap, I just tried ordering Metroid Prime Trilogy and it said the code could not be applied to the purchase! I tried a second code and it said the same thing! WTF?!?[/QUOTE]

That sucks, I used the previous codes just fine with the Metroid Trilogy.

Hope they didn't make the codes exclude certain games like expensive sets or collector's editions, that would be worse.

It still works and its taking the discount for multiple games!
Awesome!

Edit: Sorry, Lan_Zer0 didn't see your post.

Anyone else run into this issue?

The text above the Promo Code sections reads: "THERE WAS A PROBLEM-The promo code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase."

Any clue why it won't work on the Ratchet and Clank pre-order?

And I can't use the code on NCAA 10 and still get release day shipping. :( I will have to pass on the code on that one.

[quote name='TomoyoN']Anyone try combining these codes with the 50% off Accessories & Games from the Amazon Trade-In deal?[/QUOTE]

Just tried ordering the Modern Warfare 2 Collector's edition with the ECA discount and the 50% off from the trade-in program coupon. Both worked like a charm.

Got MW2: Collector's edition with release date delivery for $31.99, awesome.

Codes mix and match, so have fun everyone. Also confirmed it worked with two games in the cart.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']I haven't checked their forums, but I'm sure this will happen again. I would suggest stocking up on some codes and placing your orders. At worst, you can always easily cancel Amazon orders and re-order if it shows up in your gold box.

Oh crap, I just tried ordering Metroid Prime Trilogy and it said the code could not be applied to the purchase! I tried a second code and it said the same thing! WTF?!?[/QUOTE]The problem last time was that Amazon put an expiration date on the codes, so regardless of whether you had an unused code available, it was dead. I'm sure this will continue happening until they get the multi-use codes up and running, but I don't think a few days a month is any big deterrent from joining.

Unfortunately for me, those few days included Trauma Team and Mario Bros., today I have a whole lot of nothing.

Yeah, I just ordered King of Fighters XII successfully, but now I can't grab No More Heroes 2, which is in my Goldbox right now.

[quote name='Slermy']Yeah, I just ordered King of Fighters XII successfully, but now I can't grab No More Heroes 2, which is in my Goldbox right now.[/QUOTE]
Yea, I ordered Demon's Souls (before I knew multiple games in the cart would work), but then I tried Ratchet and Clank pre-order and it wouldn't work. I wonder if they put a limit of one code per day or something.

[quote name='nightmare452']Just tried ordering the Modern Warfare 2 Collector's edition with the ECA discount and the 50% off from the trade-in program coupon. Both worked like a charm.

Codes mix and match, so have fun everyone. Also confirmed it worked with two games in the cart.[/QUOTE]
Excellent. I was hoping to stack the ECA discount and the 50% on MW2 also.

Thanks for checking!

Can't get it to work with Halo Wars.

Tried a couple of other games and they don't work. I'm leaning towards oscargrouch's theory of one code a day since I used one preordering NCAA 2010.

Tried Deluxe Demon's Souls it worked but when I tried to use a new code on The Last Guardian pre-order (in my quick pick) it said not valid code =\

I just placed an order on:

Metroid: The Other M
Madden NFL 10
Uncharted 2
Modern Warfare 2
God of War III
New Super Mario Bros
Wii Sports Resort
Metroid Prime Trilogy

Managed to get discount on every item (came out to a little over $400) with one code. Would recommend for those who are looking to get certain games and know they're going to want it Day 1 to order now while the codes are good--you can always go back and delete pre-orders later (or re-order if it comes up in GB).

[quote name='ethwang']I just placed an order on:

Metroid: The Other M
Madden NFL 10
Uncharted 2
Modern Warfare 2
God of War III
New Super Mario Bros
Wii Sports Resort
Metroid Prime Trilogy

Managed to get discount on every item (came out to a little over $400) with one code. Would recommend for those who are looking to get certain games and know they're going to want it Day 1 to order now while the codes are good--you can always go back and delete pre-orders later (or re-order if it comes up in GB).[/QUOTE]

Sage advice. I think for now, if you want multiple things, you should do one order with the code as it is working on multiple items. Hopefully we will get some confirmation from ECA/Amazon about the changes/limits.

I'm considering signing up, though I wouldn't get the student discount. Now that I know we sometimes have flip opportunities from GS to Amazon it seems more worthwhile, but still it's only 10%. I'm not sure if I'll spend enough to even get my money back. I have to buy $200 worth of games just to break even and I'm a cheap ass gamer - I don't buy games for full price normally, usually not even close to full price. :whistle2:k

I used 2 codes, one for each amazon account I have which is the solution right now for those that already placed an order.

Good timing. Wanted to get Mirror's Edge since it dropped to $20, and it just so happens it's an extra dollar off at Amazon, so basically saving me a buck off what it was before. Thanks ECA!

Stacked with 50% amazon code.
This is my Beatles RB Bundle preorder total:
Items: $249.99
Shipping & Handling: $8.48
Super Saver Discount: -$8.48
Pre-order Guarantee: -$0.00
Promotion Applied: -$125.00
Promotion Applied: -$25.00

Total Before Tax: $99.99
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Total: $99.99
Gift Certificate/Card: -$15.87

Order Total: $84.12 (used some of my $50 gift card already) and this is a SICK price since I wanted to buy the game only anyways!

if anyone has a .edu alumni email address, it still works, you dont technically need to be a student to pay $15 for membership. [thats what i did]

Sucks we only get one code a day, wonder why, the ECA says we get Amazon 10% off codes, it never mentioned a daily limit, but not a big deal.

[quote name='nightmare452']Just tried ordering the Modern Warfare 2 Collector's edition with the ECA discount and the 50% off from the trade-in program coupon. Both worked like a charm.

Codes mix and match, so have fun everyone. Also confirmed it worked with two games in the cart.[/QUOTE]

If you love Modern Warfare I'd advise not using your coupon quite yet. I can't say anymore than that.

[quote name='Arakias']Stacked with 50% amazon code.
This is my Beatles RB Bundle preorder total:
Items: $249.99
Shipping & Handling: $8.48
Super Saver Discount: -$8.48
Pre-order Guarantee: -$0.00
Promotion Applied: -$125.00
Promotion Applied: -$25.00
[/QUOTE]

Wait - so the 10% applies to the original price, not the 50% discounted price??? If so, then I guess I will be signing up. Of course it's only getting me $5 off the Beatles bundle, in effect working out to $120 shipped, but then the full 10% off all other game purchases for a year. Actually, I might just get Rock Band 2 bundle instead as I have no Rock Band/GH right now at all, which would still leave me with $4 to pay off, but that will happen.

[quote name='jkanownik']If you love Modern Warfare I'd advise not using your coupon quite yet. I can't say anymore than that.[/QUOTE]

Love the game, but the order is already made unfortunately.

Anyone know if you cancel an order, do you get the code(s) back? This is a question I always wondered about and would help to know if this one day only thing stays as is.

[quote name='crunchewy']Wait - so the 10% applies to the original price, not the 50% discounted price??? If so, then I guess I will be signing up. Of course it's only getting me $5 off the Beatles bundle, in effect working out to $120 shipped, but then the full 10% off all other game purchases for a year. Actually, I might just get Rock Band 2 bundle instead as I have no Rock Band/GH right now at all, which would still leave me with $4 to pay off, but that will happen.[/QUOTE]

in case it matters, though I dont think it does, I applied my ECA discount coupon code first and then the 50% off game coupon afterwards.

Damn, if they'd had this working when I put in my pre-order for Beatles RB with the 50% off coupon, I'd have joined for the extra discount. Too late now, since Amazon doesn't let you add promotional certificates after placing an order. As it is, I don't generally order enough games from Amazon otherwise to make it really worthwhile. Oh well, their loss, I guess.

This is a first I've heard about this ECA code thinger majigger... Can someone explain it a bit? I get that you pay and signup with ECA, you download a code from the ECA benefit page which you can then use when buying a game at Amazon for %10 off, as well as at some other places (and apparently now just 1 per day). What's this about codes running out and games in gold box (is this a special section added because I don't see gold box games)? Any other things that one should know about this?

[quote name='Lock1454']This is a first I've heard about this ECA code thinger majigger... Can someone explain it a bit? I get that you pay and signup with ECA, you download a code from the ECA benefit page which you can then use when buying a game at Amazon for %10 off, as well as at some other places (and apparently now just 1 per day). What's this about codes running out and games in gold box (is this a special section added because I don't see gold box games)? Any other things that one should know about this?[/QUOTE]

You already know a lot, so you are well informed, the gold box is Amazon's gold box deal, which are specific deals for you only depending on what you buy on Amazon (usually 5% off on items, in this case games).

The 'codes running out' issue is that at the end of last month June, all the ECA codes expired and no one had working codes. The ECA codes were fixed today, so people are now commenting on the new batch of codes, that's all.

I wonder why we are not able to use the codes more than once. Some Cags were able to use them more than once. Still waiting on a response from the ECA forums regarding this. Hopefully they can confirm if they changed to one-per-day or maybe there's a problem on Amazon's side of things.

Ah okay, thanks. So the code running out issue, that was a one time ordeal? Also what games are qualify for these codes from amazon? Just games that are sold directly by amazon or all games which qualify for amazon prime shipping?

Just thought of these other two questions, otherwise would have added them to the first post - woopsies :)

And as for the Gold Box being personalized deals... I always get weird stuff in there :\ Like today it's some weird energy bar... This is just the gold box where you click "Today's Deals" up on the top right? o_O

And thanks for the info.

I might sign up if I decide to get demon's souls, a good chunk off ECA right there. Will the codes work for anything gaming related off amazon(accessories, hardware, games)? And to get something to show up in your gold box you just put it in your cart and...where exactly am I going to look to see if it gets added?

[/QUOTE]

But do games that you've already pre-ordered show up in your Gold Box? I've never had a game that I've pre-ordered show up in my Gold Box later, but my Gold Box doesn't seem to get a lot of games in it (and yes, I've stacked my wish list with video games and rated all my video game purchases from Amazon with five stars - I've only ever gotten Uncharted 2 in my Gold Box. :cry:)

To my belief, ECA codes work on Amazon games only, no third party seller, but I haven't tested this.
They worked with XBL points cards, so accessories are included I believe.

Once again, anyone know if you cancel an order in which I used a promotional code, do you get the codes back so I can use them later, or do I lose these forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back