Import game shops in Chicago, or the midwest PERIOD?!?!?

Eazy123

CAG Veteran
I remember years ago there were a couple of import game shops within 10-15 miles of me (NW suburbs of Chicago). Both are long gone now, and from what I hear, the Mitsuwa near me doesn't have a video game shop anymore.

Does anyone know of any mom & pop import game stores? I'm looking for Yakuza 3 in particular. I know I could go on ebay or Play-asia, but the drive is part of the thrill, as long as it's not to a coast, lol.

But I'd be willing to drive one state over just for the sake of my quest doubling as a road trip/mini-getaway. So, does anyone know of any shops, big or small that carry import games?

Sounds like fun, in a Harold and Kumar go to White Castle kind of way. I wish I could help you, but I don't know of any stores like that around here.

That's exactly what I had in mind, H&K is a good analogy. Last weekend I drove 30 miles to get Valkyria Chronicles since BB didn't have it and the closest Gamestop with it in stock was that far. Out of the 25 or so Gamestops closer to me, only that one had it.

So that was kind of a trip, but I'm looking for a little more distance, if necessary, something fun for a lazy weekend.

[quote name='Eazy123'] Both are long gone now, and from what I hear, the Mitsuwa near me doesn't have a video game shop anymore. [/QUOTE]

You heard correctly. It's been at least a couple years since I've seen any games there, and I stop there about once a month on average.

[quote name='saturnotaku']You heard correctly. It's been at least a couple years since I've seen any games there, and I stop there about once a month on average.[/QUOTE]

From what I see on J-1 toy's website, they have games. They're supposed to be the "game" shop that moved out of Mitsuwa, but according to people, the guy's an absolute dick - won't even let you into his store unless you tell him exactly what you want, and if you get in and don't buy anything, he'll insult you.

Might be a little late here but there is a store called Game Trader here in St. Louis that sells import games. I got Demon's Souls for PS3 from him when everyone else was out of stock a few months back. Here's his number... 1-636-723-0072.

[quote name='Killbomb']Might be a little late here but there is a store called Game Trader here in St. Louis that sells import games. I got Demon's Souls for PS3 from him when everyone else was out of stock a few months back. Here's his number... 1-636-723-0072.[/QUOTE]

Somehow I missed this thread when it was first posted, but when I saw it just now, I came on to say exactly what you said. I like The Game Trader a lot--I've gotten all kinds of good stuff there over the years. He even had the limited edition Mother 3 set when no one online had it at all.

(In fairness, most of what I buy from him import-wise is GBA and DS games, so I don't know how good he is for console games... )

[quote name='sirhansirhan']Somehow I missed this thread when it was first posted, but when I saw it just now, I came on to say exactly what you said. I like The Game Trader a lot--I've gotten all kinds of good stuff there over the years. He even had the limited edition Mother 3 set when no one online had it at all.

(In fairness, most of what I buy from him import-wise is GBA and DS games, so I don't know how good he is for console games... )[/QUOTE]

I'd say he does well with console imports also. I was very surprised he had Demon's Souls. I knew he carried imports but figured it was a long shot when I called him. Can't complain about pricing either. Demon's Souls was $75 tax included which was cheaper than many other places.

Yeah, a little late, I got it off eBay for $58...awesome game. But I am definitely keeping that number in my phone. I've been out to St. Louis on a number of occasions, so next time I need an import and feel like a 5 1/2 hour drive I might head out there. Thanks!

[quote name='Eazy123']From what I see on J-1 toy's website, they have games. They're supposed to be the "game" shop that moved out of Mitsuwa, but according to people, the guy's an absolute dick - won't even let you into his store unless you tell him exactly what you want, and if you get in and don't buy anything, he'll insult you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hear the same thing, that the guy is a complete D-Bag. I gave up on even trying to figure it out for myself though, because they are NEVER open when I am there, despite having store hours posted that would suggest otherwise.

They never had much of a game selection anyhow. It was always like, Japanese versions of games that had already been released in the US. And most of the toys there are rediculously overpriced. You can get the same stuff at like Toynk for a lot less.

just order from japanvideogames.com. they are cali based and they shipped really quick. I just imported Bayonetta for ps3.

[quote name='bmack26']just order from japanvideogames.com. they are cali based and they shipped really quick. I just imported Bayonetta for ps3.[/QUOTE]

I'll vouch for JVG, too. It's where I ordered Pro Baseball Spirits 6 from. Ordered on a Tuesday and had it in my hands on Friday.

I remember like back in the day (97-98 time frame) there was an import shop on palatine road before you got to like the target on 14 in palatine. Headed towards 14 from Milwaukee it was on the left side of the frontage road.

bread's done
Back